shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help identify my ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I purchased this to possibly wear for my wedding but ended up not using it. I was wondering if anyone knows who the lady on it is. Its by Wedgwood but I purchased it through ebay and the seller didn''t have much information on it. Any help would be appreciated
1.gif

She''s playing a harp and leaning against a column... I can''t tell what is on top of the column though.

wedgwoodcameo.jpg

vanessa_b

Rough_Rock
It's been a while since I took a class on Greek and Roman art. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will come along!

I'm assuming this is based of a Roman marble statue. If so, the column doesn't mean anything. Roman copies of Greek statues often had the figures leaning against columns or tree trunks in order to better support the statue so it wouldn't break from the weight.

The harp is a pretty generic item for that time.

Maybe she is a muse?

I forgot to mention, if you want to do any more research, the harp is usually called the lyre in this context.
34.gif

Ok, editing my post again to say that I think she is Terpischore, the Greek muse. Check out this site for details; you can see her in the tiny pic in the background under Hope and Anchor.

http://reviews.ebay.com/Wedgwood-Jasper-Bas-relief-Subject-Designs-Guide_W0QQugidZ10000000008394541QQ_trksidZp4528.c0.m17

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Thank you!!! I think you''re right... definitely looks like Terpischore. I''m so happy to know the history behind the ring I''ve been wearing.
1.gif

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Also, does anyone know when Wedgwood stopped making jewelry?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results