shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help choosing diamond!

bose

Rough_Rock
after several meetings with local diamond dealers in toronto, i'm inclined to order from jamesallen for a better deal.

based on going shopping with my fiancee, my criteria are roughly as follows:

- budget is up to usd 9500
- size at least 1.1 carat, ideally at least 1.2
- colour at least F, if possible, no inclusions visible with very good eyesight (so probably at least VS2 to be safe)
- GIA/AGS certificate

i have found several diamonds that fit these criteria, as well as have pass the HCA test:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.23-carat-f-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1877994 (HCA v-v-v-x)
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.21-carat-e-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1787829 (HCA v-x-v-v)
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.14-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-386193 (HCA v-x-v-x)
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.21-carat-e-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1847657 (HCA x-x-x-v)

(i have put three of them on hold for the moment.)

unfortunately, none of them are available for IS images, according to jamesallen customer service.

1. they should all be eye-clean, right? (i see the 2nd one has a pretty central inclusion near the table...)

2. which do you think would have the better light performance?

any input would be appreciated!

One_Who_Knows

Rough_Rock
Hi Bose, the first 2 are no longer available,
the 3rd stone has strong FL , that is a big NOOOOO for a high color, and it is well too pricey..
I am a diamond manufacturer and I sell these stones with strong Florescence at $ 6,000 .
These guys are brokers, listing other people's inventory.
I really believe you shouldn't buy a diamond from someone who can't physically look at it on your behalf.
How can they know if a stone is nice or not if they can't see it?

and BTW..
I CAN GET YOU THE EXACT SAME DIAMOND (THE 1.14 CT F VS1 ) FOR $500 CHEAPER, SO YOU CAN INVEST THIS MONEY ON YOUR DESIRED RING

Q

Queenie60

One_Who_Knows|1469232938|4058482 said:
the 3rd stone has strong FL , that is a big NOOOOO for a high color, and it is well too pricey..
I am a diamond manufacturer and I sell these stones with strong Florescence at $ 6,000 .
I really believe you shouldn't buy a diamond from someone who can't physically look at it on your behalf.

and BTW..
I CAN GET YOU THE EXACT SAME DIAMOND (THE 1.14 CT F VS1 ) FOR $500 CHEAPER, SO YOU CAN INVEST THIS MONEY ON YOUR DESIRED RING

If you are in the trade - you are not supposed to comment on other vendors stones - read the rules. You need to stop promoting your business via postings to PS members.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One_Who_Knows said:

and BTW..
I'm intrigued. I thought manufacturers wouldn't deal directly with clients like us. I thought we had no choice the way the industry is set up but to go through a vendor, who then marks up. Can you please shed some light for our edification, please?

Q

Queenie60

PintoBean|1469240531|4058508 said:
One_Who_Knows said:

and BTW..
I'm intrigued. I thought manufacturers wouldn't deal directly with clients like us. I thought we had no choice the way the industry is set up but to go through a vendor, who then marks up. Can you please shed some light for our edification, please?

Hi PB - I think the moderators removed this guy - "one-who-knows" - he was promoting his business on a few different ps posts. Glad he was taken off! I too am intrigued!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Queenie60|1469249312|4058520 said:
PintoBean|1469240531|4058508 said:
One_Who_Knows said:

and BTW..

Hi PB - I think the moderators removed this guy - "one-who-knows" - he was promoting his business on a few different ps posts. Glad he was taken off! I too am intrigued!
:lol: :lol: :lol: "intrigued" was as polite as I could get. :dance:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

bose

Rough_Rock
thank you!

unfortunately customer service tells me that these diamonds are overseas and they cannot provide idealscope images :( how would you make a decision without them?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Both have extremely safe numbers. Pick the cheaper one and go enjoy. You are okay with an IS on those.

bose

Rough_Rock
thank you, Gypsy!

do they compare favorably to the 4 that i asked about initially?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

bose

Rough_Rock
thank you very much!

i'm planning to pull the trigger tonight. does anyone else here have any opinions on these stones? i would really appreciate your informed opinions. thank you!

bose

Rough_Rock
ok, decisions for such a big purchase are more difficult than i anticipated...

after another conversation with my fiancee, i would like to find her at least a 1.2 carat stone after all, and i'm willing to increase my budget, say very roughly up to usd 11500. the other parameters are still the same: great cut, at least F colour, at least VS2 clarity (eye-clean). one stone fitting these parameters has been pointed out to me:

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R131-642975371

i'm finding a lot of other options on jamesallen, i'm just not sure enough about the cut quality by myself.
what do you think?

your help would be really appreciated!

bose

Rough_Rock
any more thoughts anyone?

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Is VS2 important to you, I have an SI1 completely eye clean, this could help bring down the cost a bit too so you can place it elsewhere. And what about F, is that because she's color sensitive? I ask because I originally wanted a higher color, but once I focused my attention to cut, I realized I could lower the color, and found a bigger diamond. It really depends what's an absolute must for you, or her for that matter. I'm in Ottawa, so I understand the budget in Canadian dollars, but just as a comparison, I recently purchased a 1.42 J SI1 (keep in mind J is a bit warm) but it's GIA XXX, gets a score of 1.2 on HCA and is cut 58/61.4/34/40.8 for less than your budget in a custom platinum setting.

bose

Rough_Rock
i do think my fiancee is colour sensitive (certainly more than i am) and she has keen eye-sight. also she's been involved in the whole process of coming with me to dealers, so based on these experiences, to be safe, i wanted to stick to the above parameters.

in the end i increased my budget more and placed an order for https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R125-704321545 (1.25/D/VS1).

it's been hard making a decision... but when she heard about this stone she was super excited, and i'd rather pay more and know that she is really happy than optimize for value!

now i'm hoping my purchase will be confirmed, enchanteddiamonds is checking with their supplier right now...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
bose|1469568727|4059605 said:
i do think my fiancee is colour sensitive (certainly more than i am) and she has keen eye-sight. also she's been involved in the whole process of coming with me to dealers, so based on these experiences, to be safe, i wanted to stick to the above parameters.

in the end i increased my budget more and placed an order for https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R125-704321545 (1.25/D/VS1).

it's been hard making a decision... but when she heard about this stone she was super excited, and i'd rather pay more and know that she is really happy than optimize for value!

now i'm hoping my purchase will be confirmed, enchanteddiamonds is checking with their supplier right now...

That's a lovely stone. Hope you got it.

bose

Rough_Rock
so glad you like it! the last i heard this evening was that the diamond was confirmed to be on hold for me, so it looks good! :)

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
:appl:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great job! How is it being set?

bose

Rough_Rock
we haven't finalized the setting yet, but probably solitaire / 6-prong. my fiancee has small hands, ring size just above 3, and she would like to have the band be as thin as possible without compromising stability. we got contradicting information when we talked about that at our ring appointments. someone told us he could go down to 1.5mm width, someone else that it's better to be close to 2mm...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
1.8 is as thin as you want to go. Get platinum.

bose

Rough_Rock
thanks! we were thinking of getting white gold... why do you think platinum is best?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results