shape
carat
color
clarity

platinum vs 18k WG

joshlam27

Rough_Rock
what are your thoughts? i have been hearing conflicting views on which one is better for long term sustainability in terms of keeping color, scratches, fading etc...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go with PT, b/c not much difference in price between the two.

Q

Queenie60

Depends. For instance, I am in the process of having @jordyonbass cut a beautiful opal for me that I will have made into a halo ring. Not sure if I would do platinum as I don't want to have a grey look to the metal, I would rather do an unplated white gold for this stone. However, I will do more research prior to deciding.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t like the grey tone to Platinium. And it develops this grayish patina which some like, I don’t. I chose 18kt white gold which I have rhodium plated annually ($50) when the setting is also checked. I love the very white and shiny finish of rhodium over 18kt white gold.
Platinium is said to be sturdy for setting ie claws than gold (high carat gold is more malleable) but my mother had her Platinium ring resized and it left a line in the metal. Apparently this can happen with reworking of Platinium and the rework being perhaps a slightly different composition of the alloy

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My preference is always platinum, I like that it’s not shiny shiny white. I had an antique setting resized last year, and you can’t see any resizing marks at all.

As DF says, there doesn’t seem to be a lot of difference in price ATM, and platinum doesn’t need replating.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My preference is always platinum, I like that it’s not shiny shiny white. I had an antique setting resized last year, and you can’t see any resizing marks at all.

As DF says, there doesn’t seem to be a lot of difference in price ATM, and platinum doesn’t need replating.

Platinum is always my first choice for rings and necklaces. I love the gray patina, I love that it doesn't need replating and I love everything about it.

The only reason it isn't my first choice for earrings is because it weighs more than gold and for earrings I prefer as light as possible. Otherwise (if it isn't for earrings) platinum is my first choice generally.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly think the differences are subtle. I have rings in both metal and they've all held up well so far (knock on wood) bit honestly so have my silver rings and that's a much softer metal. Comes down to personal preference on the look, the heft, the way they wear, and I think platinum is generally regarded as more luxurious.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Which platinum alloy? With iridium? Ruthenium? What %?

joshlam27

Rough_Rock
unforutnately, here in canada, platinum is priced much higher than white gold...i am fearful of the greyish patina as this is something SO wouldn't like.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
unforutnately, here in canada, platinum is priced much higher than white gold...i am fearful of the greyish patina as this is something SO wouldn't like.

Definitely ask your SO and find out before you invest in this piece. What she prefers is key since she will be the one wearing and enjoying it.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I don't ever think of my platinum rings as grey metal. It's more like a brushed textured silver patina.
I love platinum and highly recommend it.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Which platinum alloy? With iridium? Ruthenium? What %?

Tiffany's uses 95% platinum and 5% ruthenium alloy. It holds up well and doesn't look as grey as some other platinum alloys I have seen.

joshlam27

Rough_Rock
Tiffany's uses 95% platinum and 5% ruthenium alloy. It holds up well and doesn't look as grey as some other platinum alloys I have seen.

ahhhh so thats why tiffany platninum holds up so well. and not other platinums.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
ahhhh so thats why tiffany platninum holds up so well. and not other platinums.

Certain alloy mix does look less grey than others that I've seen. It's not exclusive to Tiffany's though.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
so what did you mean then?
I mistook you might've taken offense. I've edited my post. It's true that some platinum alloy I've seen look much darker.

joshlam27

Rough_Rock
I mistook you might've taken offense. I've edited my post. It's true that some platinum alloy I've seen look much darker.

ahhh got it. no no no offense taken. it was a good point. i was curiosu how tiffany platinum could hold up so well where as otehr plantinums i've seen seem to wear down to a greysih matte look

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
ahhh got it. no no no offense taken. it was a good point. i was curiosu how tiffany platinum could hold up so well where as otehr plantinums i've seen seem to wear down to a greysih matte look

You can always polish platinum back to high shine. Most people don't bother with it and grow to appreciate the patina. If you look at the metal at a high magnification, it looks very interesting with a lot of etching and textures.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results