shape
carat
color
clarity

Planning to have Diamond recut - part two

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shady71

Shiny_Rock
My quest to turn my sad looking diamond into a real sparkler as seen here on the forum started a little over a month ago https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/planning-to-have-diamond-recut.101256/

After I had made my decision, I was disappointed to hear that Brian Gavin (aka BrianTheCutter) had left Whiteflash and they are not accepting any stones for recutting for an unknown period of time. I was really bummed, but now I am excited to say I have been in touch with Brian and (Lesley H.) through his blog at brianthecutter.com and today I shipped off my ring for evaluation and hopefully an "Extreme Makeover" of my 2.47 lifeless diamond.

Brian and Lesley are establishing a full service operation and currently have a jewelry workshop in place with full CAD capabilities. I expect there will be announcements, but for now they can be contacted through the website.

Here is my sad looking ring, with the off center head, and wonky prongs. I hope to upgrade the setting later in the year, but for now I will be thrilled with a recut and head adjustments.

P1060012-a.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that sounds like a very exciting project! Keep us updated!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad your story is continuing! Can''t wait to hear what they plan to do with the stone and what they anticipate the final weight will be.

Very exciting for you! Please keep us posted!

shady71

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/7/2009 8:58:57 PM
Author: MissGotRocks
Glad your story is continuing! Can''t wait to hear what they plan to do with the stone and what they anticipate the final weight will be.

Very exciting for you! Please keep us posted!
Sure will. Can''t believe the post office says can take 7-10 days for registered mail to go from Florida to Texas. Could get it there quicker by bicycle
face19.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Awesome! How exciting for you!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Very exciting. Don''t worry, sometimes the mail goes through quicker than they say. They give you the longest time frame just to be safe but I''ve had registered mail get there is a few days.

shady71

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/7/2009 10:22:48 PM
Author: Kelli
Kelli, I was inspired by the threads and photos of your re-cut. Hope mine turns out as well as yours, but with Brian doing it, I am certain it will. The waiting will be agony however!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s exciting! I can''t wait to see the final results!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wonky prongs...must be a technical term
37.gif
! Cant wait to see the finished product!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2009 10:44:58 PM
Author: shady71

Date: 1/7/2009 10:22:48 PM
Kelli, I was inspired by the threads and photos of your re-cut. Hope mine turns out as well as yours, but with Brian doing it, I am certain it will. The waiting will be agony however!
I''m flattered.
1.gif
I was inspired by Isabelle, who had it done before I did. Yes, the waiting part will be agonizing, but it will DEFINITELY be worth it, and then some. Brian and his team are awesome!

shady71

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 10:28:44 AM
Author: tyty333
wonky prongs...must be a technical term
37.gif
! Cant wait to see the finished product!
Well the dealer I bought the stone from set a new platinum head on my existing ring, it is off center left/right, front /back, plus it is tilted. A close look at the prongs show them unevenly spaced, and all different angles, so yes, I would say wonky is a good technical term
emotion-5.gif

Between the logistics of getting it back to him (3 hrs away), plus the fact I had no conficence to believe he would do a better job fixing it so decided not to take it back. I am certain it will come back PERFECT
30.gif
from Brian after the recut!!

shady71

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 10:51:45 AM

Date: 1/7/2009 10:44:58 PM
Author: shady71

I''m flattered.
1.gif
I was inspired by Isabelle, who had it done before I did. Yes, the waiting part will be agonizing, but it will DEFINITELY be worth it, and then some. Brian and his team are awesome!
I just searched for Isabelle''s thread https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-incredible-newly-recut-rb-thank-you-brian-gavin-and-wf.86854/ I remember reading it before I ever considered a recut. I hope my results are as amazing as hers and yours. My stone is very deep too, so hoping to not sacrifice much, if any, diameter.

Ahh the agony, it''s been less than 24 hours since I took it to the post office and already I am suffering anxiety, I need a Rip Van Winkle 40 day snooze
face2.gif

shady71

Shiny_Rock
Wow... I can''t believe it, my diamond arrived in Tx via registered mail in only 2 days!! The Post Office told me it would take 7-10 days for registered. Glad it got there safe and sound. Brian will run a SARIN report and will be able to give me a good prediction of what to expect for my "Extreme Diamond Makeover." I should know something after the weekend, the anticipation is killing me
4.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad the diamond got there - will be interested to hear his analysis! I''m sure the waiting is torture but it will all be worth it!

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
you are going to be so happy after the re-cut.

it is awesome to make a dull/lifeless stone sparkle like mad.

i have done it and was extremely happy.

shady71

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/10/2009 8:11:54 PM
Author: Eva17
you are going to be so happy after the re-cut

it is awesome to make a dull/lifeless stone sparkle like mad.

i have done it and was extremely happy.
Can you share any details of your recut? Weight loss? Diameter loss? Who did the recut? Any before and after pics? Inquiring minds want to know
emotion-18.gif

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
I can''t wait to see how this unfolds! Thank you for keeping us in the loop.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting! I look forward to following your story!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooooh, that is very exciting!! I can''t wait to see the final result!

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome to the recut club!!!! I can't wait to get mine back.....Brian did a great job on mine with little weight loss despite the poor clarity stone I started with....

So no doubt yours will turn out great!

Mine took 7 days from FL to TX (you got super lucky that it only took 2)

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great news! I''m glad that you''re still going to be able to get them to recut your stone. I''m excited to see the before-and-after pics!

shady71

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/12/2009 12:19:07 PM
Author: musey
Great news! I''m glad that you''re still going to be able to get them to recut your stone. I''m excited to see the before-and-after pics!
Thanks... I am so excited!! I just got an email from Lesley, at first look Brian feels the stone definitely has potential for a recut. He running the SARIN, IS and taking the before photos right now and I should get the verdict this afternoon.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I am so excited for you,please keep us updated
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Very cool! Glad you were able to contact them and get your recutting project started - can''t wait to see how it comes out
9.gif

shady71

Shiny_Rock
Received the photos and analysis from BrianTheCutter (formerly of Whiteflash) for my recut which was started today. He expects the stone (2.47) to remain above 2 carat and not lose much more than .15mm in diameter. We are aiming for an ideal cut and the stone will go to AGS after cutting.

SARIN report

Sarin247.jpg

shady71

Shiny_Rock
Idealscope

247_idealS_b4.jpg

shady71

Shiny_Rock
Hearts

247_Hearts_B4.jpg

shady71

Shiny_Rock
My eyes must be worse than I thought, can all that junk really be inside my stone... bleeeecchhhh

247_diashotB4.jpg

shady71

Shiny_Rock
some specs

GB_SD1_B4.jpg

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Oooohhhhh!!! Now I''m getting really excited. How long should the recutting take? Will you get photos before it goes to AGS? I am so impatient - I want to see the "after" photos right now!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results