shape
carat
color
clarity

Planning to have Diamond recut - part two

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shady71

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/13/2009 10:22:07 PM
Author: EricaR
Oooohhhhh!!! Now I''m getting really excited. How long should the recutting take? Will you get photos before it goes to AGS? I am so impatient - I want to see the ''after'' photos right now!
Me too... I can''t wait to see it done. I''m sure Brian will send photos before it goes to AGS. He has been absolutely terrific, explaining everything to me in great detail. I think he said the cutting could be done in a week or so.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
I keep looking at the magnified photo of your diamond. I think that is one of the best examples I''ve seen of how the areas of light leakage on the IS actually show as dark spots on the diamond itself. It is sort of mesmerizing!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/13/2009 10:59:10 PM
I keep looking at the magnified photo of your diamond. I think that is one of the best examples I''ve seen of how the areas of light leakage on the IS actually show as dark spots on the diamond itself. It is sort of mesmerizing!
Actually one of the main effects you are observing is a concentration of colour because of longer ray paths Erica.

Shady you want to have an AGS certificate? It will mean something to you?

As I mentioned in the ''collective'' email on cuts - it is good if you choose a recutter whose values you share - but bad if you give someone a licence to chase their goals where yours may be different.

shady recut raypaths.JPG

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2009 10:50:19 PM
Author: shady71

Date: 1/13/2009 10:22:07 PM
Oooohhhhh!!! Now I''m getting really excited. How long should the recutting take? Will you get photos before it goes to AGS? I am so impatient - I want to see the ''after'' photos right now!
Me too... I can''t wait to see it done. I''m sure Brian will send photos before it goes to AGS. He has been absolutely terrific, explaining everything to me in great detail. I think he said the cutting could be done in a week or so.
You''re so lucky to have it done so fast! Mine was gone for so long!

shady71

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/13/2009 11:47:23 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Actually one of the main effects you are observing is a concentration of colour because of longer ray paths Erica.

As I mentioned in the ''collective'' email on cuts - it is good if you choose a recutter whose values you share - but bad if you give someone a licence to chase their goals where yours may be different.
Garry,

My goal is a beautifully cut stone. I made the mistake of not educating myself before I bought that diamond. I trusted a dealer who was a friend of a friend, you know how that goes.
38.gif
Thought I was getting a great deal, when in fact, I got exactly what I paid for. Had I known to get an independent appraisal immediately, I would have returned the stone. Now it is a year later, I have some more knowledge thanks to Pricescope and I want to make the best of what I have. Selling the stone is not an option as there would be very little $$ return. I can''t do anything about the color or the clarity, but I sure can get the best cut possible. Although it is a 2.47, it''s diameter is that of a well-cut 2.15, so I am happy to lose that extra weight (and even a bit more) in trade for well performing stone that will likely even appear larger. I am hopeful the color grade will go up too as I understand deep stones hold lots of color. What is the point of keeping all the extra weight if the stone looks like cr*p?? I have all the confidence in the world in Brian Gavin, and know I will get the best cut possible from what he has to work with. I expect this will be a very "Extreme Diamond Makeover", and well worth the cost and weight loss.

As for the AGS certificate, it is a small price to pay to validate in my mind that I made an good decision this time around!

Here is the ASET image reproduced in DiamondCalc from the SARIN scan. I look forward to comparing all the various scans & photos after the recut!

247_ASET_b4.jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/15/2009 8:26:17 AM

Date: 1/13/2009 11:47:23 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Garry,

My goal is a beautifully cut stone. I made the mistake of not educating myself before I bought that diamond. I trusted a dealer who was a friend of a friend, you know how that goes.
38.gif
Thought I was getting a great deal, when in fact, I got exactly what I paid for. Had I known to get an independent appraisal immediately, I would have returned the stone. Now it is a year later, I have some more knowledge thanks to Pricescope and I want to make the best of what I have. Selling the stone is not an option as there would be very little $$ return. I can''t do anything about the color or the clarity, but I sure can get the best cut possible. Although it is a 2.47, it''s diameter is that of a well-cut 2.15, so I am happy to lose that extra weight (and even a bit more) in trade for well performing stone that will likely even appear larger. I am hopeful the color grade will go up too as I understand deep stones hold lots of color. What is the point of keeping all the extra weight if the stone looks like cr*p?? I have all the confidence in the world in Brian Gavin, and know I will get the best cut possible from what he has to work with. I expect this will be a very ''Extreme Diamond Makeover'', and well worth the cost and weight loss.

As for the AGS certificate, it is a small price to pay to validate in my mind that I made an good decision this time around!

Here is the ASET image reproduced in DiamondCalc from the SARIN scan. I look forward to comparing all the various scans & photos after the recut!
You really will see the difference once this stone is recut - and it will improve the face up color considerably too Shady.
My comments are however that I prefer to give my clients some choice over their recuts. In this case it might be to maintain some naturals or extra facets that lead to a wavy girdle and possibly not reduce the diameter, save weight etc so that if you ever decide to trade up or sell the diamond etc etc VS aim for H&A''s and AGS 0

I simply counsel that this is also a valid option for others, but I am now sure that you understand and want a ''mind clean cut''
9.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
A pavilion only recut would turn that into a dreamy oec with that crown.
I know that isn''t what you prefer but wanted to say it anyway.

shady71

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/16/2009 6:30:19 PM
Author: strmrdr
Please explain... isn''t an OEC a whole different animal?? with a very small table??

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2009 12:43:16 PM
Date: 1/16/2009 6:30:19 PM

Please explain... isn''t an OEC a whole different animal?? with a very small table??

not always 56table can fit into the transitional/oec range.
Recut with a shallowish pavilion and 65% lgf% and bingo you have one.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
like this.... open culet optional

intoAoec.jpg

shady71

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/17/2009 12:56:25 PM
Wouldn''t cutting for a shallow pavillion result in just as much weight loss as I will have going for ideal cut?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2009 1:12:38 PM
Date: 1/17/2009 12:56:25 PM

Wouldn't cutting for a shallow pavillion result in just as much weight loss as I will have going for ideal cut?

aprox 2.25ct-2.3ct after recut to the above.

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
oh i like the idea of creating your own transitional in that size range. that would be awsome!!!!

shady71

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/17/2009 5:12:48 PM
Author: Eva17
oh i like the idea of creating your own transitional in that size range. that would be awsome!!!!
Well, too late to even consider, my recut has already started and hopefully will turn out ideal or very, very close!!

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
that's ok, it will still be awesome!!!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2009 5:59:20 PM
Date: 1/17/2009 5:12:48 PM

Author: Eva17

Well, too late to even consider, my recut has already started and hopefully will turn out ideal or very, very close!!
You will love it no doubt :}
Ignore my ramblings.

shady71

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/17/2009 6:53:56 PM

Ignore my ramblings.
No problem Strmrdr, but I am a bit confused about something. You said cutting to a shallow pavillion would result "aprox 2.25ct-2.3ct after recut". The stone is very deep, and is the diameter of a 2.15-2.20, so how do we cut for shallow pavillion, yet still wind up heavier than a well proportioned stone?? Where to we stash that extra weight??
20.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2009 7:09:57 PM

Ignore my ramblings.

No problem Strmrdr, but I am a bit confused about something. You said cutting to a shallow pavillion would result ''aprox 2.25ct-2.3ct after recut''. The stone is very deep, and is the diameter of a 2.15-2.20, so how do we cut for shallow pavillion, yet still wind up heavier than a well proportioned stone?? Where to we stash that extra weight??
20.gif
in the crown

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2009 7:09:57 PM

Ignore my ramblings.

No problem Strmrdr, but I am a bit confused about something. You said cutting to a shallow pavillion would result ''aprox 2.25ct-2.3ct after recut''. The stone is very deep, and is the diameter of a 2.15-2.20, so how do we cut for shallow pavillion, yet still wind up heavier than a well proportioned stone?? Where to we stash that extra weight??
20.gif

Your stone has a very high crown too, so to cut to a standard TIC will require the cutting of both the crown and pavilion, resulting in more weight loss.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish you the best of luck with your recut, how exciting that it is now underway!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fabulous!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results