shape
carat
color
clarity

Planning early - help me find an 7ct antique OEC/ cushion?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Planning early - help me find an 7ct antique OEC/ cushi

ruby59|1354479712|3320672 said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-EDWARDIAN-PLATINUM-9-08ct-DIAMOND-RING-/261135133087?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cccdde99f

Ebay was a disappointment. I put in diamond, $109,000, highest price first, and thought tons would come up.

The above link is the closest I could find. Being so large, maybe it could be recut, but does present well.

Mark Brownard (?) had a couple of things and so did Peter Suchey. All seemed very overpriced for what was shown.

Only other contender I could find in the 6 carat and over range.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-6-06CT-OLD-CUT-DIAMOND-PLATINUM-SOLITAIRE-VS2-CLARITY-SEE-VIDEO-/121028363950?pt=UK_Jewellery_Watches_VintageFineJewellery_CA&hash=item1c2dda46ae

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Retro-5-5ct-Diamond-Demantoid-Cluster-Ring-J-VS-/180625507554?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0e1e84e2

If you come down to 5.30 carat, this is a nice cushion.

Those stones are really lovely :love: :love: , but rather too warm for me.

I don't think I'd consider a 5-5.5ct though, too close in size to Holly if it's a round and would even be smaller than Holly if a cushion. I'd like something that looks markedly different, for variety reasons.

Thank you.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dreamer_D|1354482664|3320713 said:
I know you saw one stone a while ago that may have fit your specs, but I really think you are going to have to change your parameters.

First off, stones of that carat weight were rare back in the day, and stones as white as you want were likely recut in the last 100 years into MRBs. Most of the very large stones that survived will have some undesirable trait that made them "unappealing" to the people interested in recutting them. Usually color. Or, they were hoarded by family members, but those are few and far between and would rarely come on the market for a deal. Yes, some old stones cost less than MRBs. But in the specs you are talking about I think you need to expect to pay *at least* the same price as MRBs on the retail market. Large old cuts are so rare and so desired and the pricing reflects that. Sure, its possible to find faint yellow old cuts for a deal in the sub 4ct sizes. But near colorless and over 6ct? Those are NOT "deal" specs.

If you are looking to pay below retail pricing, and it seems you are, then the only way that will happen is to buy directly from estate houses IMO. That will mean: no lab reports, perhaps no returns on auction items, and no PS-level service.

This is not what you want to hear, I know, and you have rejected everyone else who has tried to tempter your expectations. But I still thought I would try again :halo:

I understand, Dreamer and as stated in my posts immediately above this, I *am* willing to be flexible with my specs.

I hope I am not giving the impression that I am rejecting any suggestions everyone has provided thus far. Quite the opposite.

I am just wanting to see what I can find first, having come across quite a few well-priced antique stones from various places in London as well as auction houses. I think maybe auction houses and those I've visited in the past in London would continue to be places of interest and probable sources for me. I was hoping that someone else here would be able to provide me with more sources, more stones that I may not otherwise have access to.

For antique stones at lower prices that may be "deals", for sure it'd be unrealistic to expect any services normally associated with well cut AGS/ GIA diamonds offered by our well known well loved PS vendors. So no, no lab no return etc.. is ok for me...I should think by now, having looked at thousands and thousands of diamonds and having owned many diamonds (though obviously we're only talking a handful here :wink2: ) and I do have various tools at my disposal (master set, my own diamonds, various testers etc...) I'd be able to assess for myself if a strong contender comes along. I'd be prepared and do indeed intend to go see such a stone in person. You absolutely couldn't and *should" not buy an antique stone that you didn't see in person, not like you can a MRB. And if such a stone is located in the US, I could always secure the services of an IA. And if it's a well-known auction house, I find that their Condition Reports and assessment are usually quite accurate and true.

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock

mmm I wish i could have that 6.06 carat. if only it weren't twice my budget! looks yummy

and phoenix i know everyone saying you need to change your expectations or budget but you said you've got years to find your dream stone? isn't there a quote something like you gotta aim for the stars so at least you can land in the clouds? As time goes on if you dont find your stone your expectations may change but for now hold strong you never know what you might find

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

RissaLou|1354485762|3320749 said:
Ebay might be your best bet budget wise... not sure, but here are the closest two matches I found for you! :appl:

$65,000 OMC 5.3ct J VS2 No Fluorescence
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Retro-5-5ct-Diamond-Demantoid-Cluster-Ring-J-VS-/180625507554?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0e1e84e2

$73,500 OEC 6.58ct J SI2
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-EDWARDIAN-PLATINUM-9-08ct-DIAMOND-RING-/261135133087?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cccdde99f

My personal Fav is the second one, I'd snatch that up if I could :naughty:

Thank you for posting those. They're really gorgeous!! :love: :love: :love:

Alas, the colour is still too warm for me! :(sad

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1354487505|3320766 said:
I especially like the first diamond, Rissa!

Phoenix, maybe you can reconsider going to J color on a large antique cushion. Like Dreamer said, even those aren't easy to find, but it would be more likely to fall in your budget if you'd consider J color.

DS, I really cannot go to a J. Been there, done that; and besides I have seen many large J antique stones in person, cushion and other shapes and although they do face up very white and really gorgeous, it is just not "mind-clean" enough for me....kind of like an I is too warm for you and anything above 1.8ct is too big for you also....I am now willing if absolutely necessary to be a bit more flexible with my budget and would consider going down a bit in size...but it's still very early days yet, so we shall see...

If I couldn't get at least an I, I'd rather not get one at all. I know my collection has shrunk considerably (by deliberate actions on my part) but I'd rather have what I have now and not get another diamond *just* b/c it is antique and large. I'd just end up regretting it and trying to re-sell it.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

swimmer|1354495707|3320878 said:
I know where you can procure a large variety of stones of that size, color, and cut. The Tower of London. Good luck!

Are you making fun? Was it really necessary?! :rolleyes:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ZahraLeyla|1354497143|3320906 said:
Phoenix, I know that Mike R was looking a large (8ct), white (to me! I colour) OEC the other day but passed on it because we both thought it was too white :lol: . He told me the pricing details but I don't if he'd be happy with me disclosing them, as I suspect it may be trade-only pricing. However, it was significantly more than you have budgeted, even with the increase. I do hope you find something though - sounds like a dream project.

I didn't know Mike R sourced antique stones? Hah, good to know that, Zahra.

I is too white for you? I wish I had that "problem", lol! :wink2: :lol:

Thank you, I hope so too.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

GoldFish8|1354504495|3321012 said:
Hi Phoenix :wavey: This is so exciting for you!! I think this ring is beautiful!! not sure if its in the price range though. But it sure is beautiful to just look at :love:

http://jewelry.1stdibs.com/jewelry_item_detail.php?id=73745

OMG, I think I would have to sell DH (if anyone was willing to buy him :wink2: :devil: ) and everything else for that!! :lol: wow wow wow!! Absolutely MAGNIFICO!! :love: :love: :love: :lickout: :lickout:

I am not even going to look up the price, I am sure it's totally unaffordable for me! :nono:

But still AMAZING to look at though, thanks for posting.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

RissaLou|1354506415|3321040 said:
Found one more! It's another J though and a bit more in $ :(( Might take you awhile to find the diamond your looking for, but I think it can be done with some time and patience without raising your budget :D

$85,000 6.05ct VS2 J
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fine-Platinum-Ruby-Diamond-Ring-/280851125354?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D3886833769871612458%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D280851125354%26

Now, THAT's what I am talking about. If that's a J and asking 85k (meaning the final price should be lower), a 6-6.5ct I @ 100k wouldn't be too impossible to find, I should think. And I do have plenty of time and even more patience.

Thank you soooo much for posting that. :bigsmile:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

hippi_pixi|1354525229|3321152 said:
mmm I wish i could have that 6.06 carat. if only it weren't twice my budget! looks yummy

and phoenix i know everyone saying you need to change your expectations or budget but you said you've got years to find your dream stone? isn't there a quote something like you gotta aim for the stars so at least you can land in the clouds? As time goes on if you dont find your stone your expectations may change but for now hold strong you never know what you might find

THANK YOU!! That's EXACTLY my thought process. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

So, anyhow, a 6-6.5ct I at USD100k is not totally unattainable, right? :wink2: :bigsmile: And I've mentioned above, I do have 3-4 years to look for it..

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Incidentally, FYI, I just remembered that this year, in April actually, there was a magnificent VCA EC ring E Si1 (certified by GIA) offered for USD230k by a 1st dibs vendor. The ring was not advertised on 1st dibs, but I was enquiring about another piece; and he then told me about this particular ring. I think I may have posted on here about it. Of course it got snatched up pretty fast, but I did have the opportunity to buy it before that.

I wasn't sure at the time that I wanted to buy such a high spec'ed and high-end ring, but thinking about it now, perhaps I should have (?!). So perhaps a high-end VCA ring instead of Holly and an antique stone and I'd still have had some $$$ left over!! (?)...

Anyway, no point regretting it now, is there?! 8)

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Phoenix|1354527582|3321165 said:
Incidentally, FYI, I just remembered that this year, in April actually, there was a magnificent VCA EC ring E Si1 (certified by GIA) offered for USD230k by a 1st dibs vendor. The ring was not advertised on 1st dibs, but I was enquiring about another piece; and he then told me about this particular ring. I think I may have posted on here about it. Of course it got snatched up pretty fast, but I did have the opportunity to buy it before that.

I wasn't sure at the time that I wanted to buy such a high spec'ed and high-end ring, but thinking about it now, perhaps I should have (?!). So perhaps a high-end VCA ring instead of Holly and an antique stone and I'd still have had some $$$ left over!! (?)...

Anyway, no point regretting it now, is there?! 8)

Oh I meant to say also this ring was 7ct+

ariel144

Ideal_Rock

Phoenix|1354466509|3320541 said:
ariel144|1354466197|3320536 said:
Get a peak at this honker! Good luck on your search. Seems a little low budget for that high of a color. You might want to watch the auctions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgDAJVtzYyg

OMG!! That's GORGEOUS!! :love: :love: :love: :love: and GINORMOUS!! I could use this as a door-knob for sure, albeit a very very expensive one! :lol:

I didn't see this on their website. Are you saying that this one is put up on auction by OWD? Or are you telling me to watch auctions generally?

That honker video by OWD was on youtube but not listed on their site for sale. I'm sure they probably called it in for someone.

Yes, just watch the auctions in a general sense. They all seem to have some very large OEC's and OMB's that are large and usually sell for less than MRB's. I love to go through their past auctions and see what stuff sells for. Don't forget if the auction is in the EU you will probably have a VAT tax on top of the purchase price and the commission to the auction house.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

you should give Adam at OWD a call. they have stones that aren't on the website and can get others being in NYC and knowing the wholesalers, even antique ones.

we were just there a week+ ago and saw a beautiful 4c and 5c antique cushions and i think last time we saw a 7c. good luck!! i will be watching this with interest, esp with your aggressive price point!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Phoenix|1354525714|3321155 said:

Phoenix, maybe you can reconsider going to J color on a large antique cushion. Like Dreamer said, even those aren't easy to find, but it would be more likely to fall in your budget if you'd consider J color.

DS, I really cannot go to a J. Been there, done that; and besides I have seen many large J antique stones in person, cushion and other shapes and although they do face up very white and really gorgeous, it is just not "mind-clean" enough for me....kind of like an I is too warm for you and anything above 1.8ct is too big for you also....I am now willing if absolutely necessary to be a bit more flexible with my budget and would consider going down a bit in size...but it's still very early days yet, so we shall see...

If I couldn't get at least an I, I'd rather not get one at all. I know my collection has shrunk considerably (by deliberate actions on my part) but I'd rather have what I have now and not get another diamond *just* b/c it is antique and large. I'd just end up regretting it and trying to re-sell it.

Well, you got me on that one, Phoenix! :lol: I do understand! Even though I really prefer H and higher for round brilliants and OEC's, for some reason I did not object to a slight tint in the cushions because the look was so different. It is just lucky for me that I can't wear large stones where I live because it would be painful to buy G-H VS1 in large sizes! I do go down in size to get the other specs I want. So I feel your pain!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ariel144|1354562061|3321465 said:
Phoenix|1354466509|3320541 said:
ariel144|1354466197|3320536 said:
Get a peak at this honker! Good luck on your search. Seems a little low budget for that high of a color. You might want to watch the auctions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgDAJVtzYyg

OMG!! That's GORGEOUS!! :love: :love: :love: :love: and GINORMOUS!! I could use this as a door-knob for sure, albeit a very very expensive one! :lol:

I didn't see this on their website. Are you saying that this one is put up on auction by OWD? Or are you telling me to watch auctions generally?

That honker video by OWD was on youtube but not listed on their site for sale. I'm sure they probably called it in for someone.

Yes, just watch the auctions in a general sense. They all seem to have some very large OEC's and OMB's that are large and usually sell for less than MRB's. I love to go through their past auctions and see what stuff sells for. Don't forget if the auction is in the EU you will probably have a VAT tax on top of the purchase price and the commission to the auction house.

Ah I see, I guess then it'd be worthwhile for me to get in touch with them, give them my specs and budget and see what they can come up with?

I agree the auctions is one of my best bets, if not my best. I think VAT is sometimes levied on the hammer price + buyer's premium, sometimes only on the buyer's premium; and in any case, I should be able to claim VAT back since I don't live in the EU.

Thank you.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ariel144|1354562564|3321470 said:
this has always been one of my fav's and she has lowered the price. So white for an L color IMO. And over 11mm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-6-06CT-OLD-CUT-DIAMOND-PLATINUM-SOLITAIRE-VS2-CLARITY-SEE-VIDEO-/121028363950?pt=UK_Jewellery_Watches_VintageFineJewellery_CA&hash=item1c2dda46ae

Phoenix, instead of the carat size...what MM measurement are you looking for? Over 10mm??? 11mm 12mm?

That is one gorgeous stone, for sure.

I guess since Holly is a little over 11mm, I am hoping to get as close to 12mm this time as possible if it's a round; or if it's a cushion or EC or asscher the length and width vary of course but maybe something like 12x9 or around there.

Please if you could, keep posting any suitable stones you may come across? Thank you.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mara|1354595101|3321974 said:
you should give Adam at OWD a call. they have stones that aren't on the website and can get others being in NYC and knowing the wholesalers, even antique ones.

we were just there a week+ ago and saw a beautiful 4c and 5c antique cushions and i think last time we saw a 7c. good luck!! i will be watching this with interest, esp with your aggressive price point!

I agree that OWD is def worth investigating, esp if they can source antique stones from other places.

Wow, I am jealous, I wish I could just pop over there and browse around.

He he, you never know until you try, right? No harm in trying! :wink2: :lol:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1354597420|3321993 said:
Phoenix|1354525714|3321155 said:

Well, you got me on that one, Phoenix! :lol: I do understand! Even though I really prefer H and higher for round brilliants and OEC's, for some reason I did not object to a slight tint in the cushions because the look was so different. It is just lucky for me that I can't wear large stones where I live because it would be painful to buy G-H VS1 in large sizes! I do go down in size to get the other specs I want. So I feel your pain!

DS, yes being colour-sensitive is very painful, costs a lot of $$$. I wish I wasn't, really.

Ya'know, I've seen Boom's J colour 4ct antique cushion IRL and it's absolutely gorgeous, faces up very very white, it knocks my socks off. However, the side-view shows a slight tint but it doesn't bother her, lucky duckie!

Yes, I also wish I didn't love large bling! It's just too much, when I think about it sometimes, being both colour-sentitive and enamoured to larger bling! That's why I put up the other stones for sale. I'd hate to use up more fresh funds...But like I mentioned, even if I don't manage to get another honker, it'll be ok.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock

Ok, so here is a 5c cushion almost 10mm x 10mm...does it have to be an antique? Strong Fl. could be yummy.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-SI1-Good-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1541909.asp

And this 5c J on GOG 10 x 10.5 $90k
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7515/

Best thread on 5c J antique cushion in halo...read pg. 3 ...she says it faces up icy white ...even in comparison to her E.
I post this thread ALL the time! so educational and such a gorgeous ring!:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege-antique-cushion.140739/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege-antique-cushion.140739/[/URL]

ariel144

Ideal_Rock

oops, sorry didn't see your request for 12mm...yikes that is very large....ok keep looking...lol!

ariel144

Ideal_Rock

FYI, Here is a 7c. cushion...modified brilliant ...check out the measurements being the mid 60% depth
and it is still just 10.5 x 11mm...price $122k. You might find a more shallow cut that would face up larger, but all of
GOG's best AVC performers are at least the mid 60% depth:

Cushion, 7.03ct, I, VS2, GIA

This Cushion, I color and VS2 clarity diamond comes accompanied by a diamond grading report from the GIA laboratory.
Total Price 122586.89 USD
Shape Cushion
Carat Weight 7.03 ct
Lab / Cert ID >> GIA / 2145965738 Certificate
Check for Online Certificate

Color: I - Near Colorless

I

Color slightly detectable. An excellent value.
Clarity: VS2 - Very slightly included

VS2

Cut Grade --
Depth % 66.2 %
Table % 58 %
Symmetry Good
Polish Excellent
Girdle Thickness Very Thick to Extremely Thick
Culet Size None
Fluorescence Strong
Dimensions 11.07x10.66x7.06 mm
L/W Ratio 1.04
Stock Number 6949

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

at this rate... crazy Phoenix will break the PS record for a solitaire (13ct) by next Christmas... :lol:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rosebloom|1356145954|3337799 said:
Apologies if this has already been posted, but I saw this and thought of you!

http://jewelry.1stdibs.com/jewelry_item_detail.php?id=85575

Thank you, Rosebloom. Very swet of you to post that, very gorgeous! :love: :love: Alas, I've been bitten by the old cut bug and would really love an OEC or a cushion/ OMC or antique EC/ asscher.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

I understand - I've been bitten too!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results