shape
carat
color
clarity

Pink spinel from Tanzania - how should I set it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Finally, the pink spinel that I bought few weeks ago came back from the lab. It is a 4.13 carats cushion cut intense natural unheated pink
spinel from Tanzania. It''s supposed to be cut from one of the big crystals from Mahenge. The stone is very transparent and brilliant with intense even color. It is unlike any spinel that I have ever seen. I was actually looking for a ruby red spinel, but when I saw this stone, I fell in love with the color. Some people would call it reddish pink, others may call it pinkish red. I have also seen the color described as watermelon. I would describe it as reddish pink with a tinge of orange. It also remiinds me of the dark pink crepe myrtle flowers that bloom in the summer. I plan to set it in a ring, but I have not decided exactly how to set it yet. I would like a halo without the milgrain edge with a split shank, kind of like Harriet''s beautiful Leon red spinel ring, but with a longer split. Or halo with half moon or trapezoid side stones, with or without halo around the side stones. I am also trying to decide whether to have Leon make the setting or deal with someone more local. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. The forst photo is from the cert. I took the other photos, but I only know how to use my camera in macro auto mode, and I am not doing a good job trying to capture the beauty of the stone.

Art Nouveau

tz-pk-spinel1.jpg

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
On my hand

tz-pk-spinel4.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
30.gif
WANT
30.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Don''t get me wrong, but these days everybody wants the same - some sort of a halo - and there are so many nice things to do with such a lovely stone if you get a little more creative. A good jeweler might help in that department too. Now, if you absolutely love halos then do go for it, but explore other possibilities before you do so. Jewellery these days is getting somewhat boring, simply because everybody''s doing the same things with their stones. Take a look at some of these for a bit of inspiration:

P. S. your stone reminds me of raspberries
1.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s beautiful. With colour like that, I''d set the spinel as a solitaire.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would do a very delicate halo. That is GORGEOUS!!!!
30.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Ma_ra... #5 reminds me of a ballarina''s tutu...very pretty setting.

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
Wow - that stone is SO beautiful! I think that a halo might detract from the stone, so I vote either a solitaire or a 3 stone w/ side half moons.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Stunning. My vote is no halo--if memory serves you have lovely Beaudry pieces already--something simple would be devine. Small sidestones if necessary, but setting it alone would be my choice.

cheers--Sharon

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/29/2008 9:27:01 AM
Author: Harriet
It''s beautiful. With colour like that, I''d set the spinel as a solitaire.

Second that. It''s gorgeous! Wonderful color!
30.gif

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I love the color. I know there are alot of halos out there but I agree a delicate halo would be gorgeous
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
this particular spinel has no need for diamonds. but if you do insist, i vote for #1 that ma ra posted.

movie zombie

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone for your nice comments and suggestions. When I saw this stone, I just couldn''t pass it up, even though it''s not on my wish list. Ma Ra, thanks for the links. I like #1, but I already have a ruby set in a similar setting with marquis diamonds. I have halo rings, but not a very delicate halo. The stone can stand alone, but diamonds always enhance the color and brilliance. A classic 3-stone will work too. I have to talk to more jewelry designers to get more ideas before I decide what to do.

AN

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh AN, that color is divine!!! I''m always partial to a delicate halo but if you went without a halo then I would do some kind of sides, very white, to off set that wonderous color and make it pop.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
*FAINTS* What a beauty! I see it in a three stone setting with step cut half moons or shields.....
30.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I vote three stone with no halo and smaller sidestones, OR a solitaire (always a great choice!) OR something like that first one that ma re posted. You have such a beautiful stone to work with, this should be such a fun project!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
AN,
Wanna trade?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote a big ol'' three stone. That is one beautiful stone AN!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
East west half bezel! :)

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Oh my goodness.

That is one LUSCIOUS RASPBERRY!

LS

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
Wow. Just WOW. What a gorgeous shade! Congrats!

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/29/2008 2:57:52 AM
Author: Art Nouveau

That is one very fine spinel!! Congrats. Nice pictures too.

dh97

Shiny_Rock
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

18.gif
18.gif

I would love to set it in 3 stones or like pic #1 halo ( mixing shapes diamond halo) in mare''s post.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
How about a setting like this?

1012-10_400.jpg

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
or this would be FABULOUS!

r933_012Ww.jpg

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
AN, your stone is gorgeous, I love the color of it. I vote for a setting with side stones. I can''t wait to see what you decide.

Linda

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results