shape
carat
color
clarity

Pink Sapphire Recut/Reset Help

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it better with a silver foil backing. I think yellow gold or rose gold will “alter” the colour tone and “I” prefer the silver because it keeps the pink truer to tone.
BUT such things are a personal choice.
I wouldn’t consider spending extra money to make a sapphire smaller for the purpose of removing a modest window. To me at least, coloured gems are about the colour, a small window is not a deal breaker for me. I have a huge vintage aquamarine with a window big enough to drive through and most often it how it is with vintage aquamarines.
So unless the window is really annoying you I would consider a silver cup behind the sapphire and keep the size as it is. Unlike diamonds where cut is crucial because diamonds are all about fire and scintillation, coloured gems are more about colour and carat weight.

AmethystHope

Rough_Rock
I like it better with a silver foil backing. I think yellow gold or rose gold will “alter” the colour tone and “I” prefer the silver because it keeps the pink truer to tone.
BUT such things are a personal choice.
I wouldn’t consider spending extra money to make a sapphire smaller for the purpose of removing a modest window. To me at least, coloured gems are about the colour, a small window is not a deal breaker for me. I have a huge vintage aquamarine with a window big enough to drive through and most often it how it is with vintage aquamarines.
So unless the window is really annoying you I would consider a silver cup behind the sapphire and keep the size as it is. Unlike diamonds where cut is crucial because diamonds are all about fire and scintillation, coloured gems are more about colour and carat weight.

Thank you, @Bron357. You make some great points and I've decided not to recut it and instead focus on the reset. =)2 You have the same advice as @mrs-b about using white metal, which I will definitely use for the head/side stones.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Let me look later, but a year or so ago someone on PS added a yellow gold cup to enhance her warm diamond. I think DK did it?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let me look later, but a year or so ago someone on PS added a yellow gold cup to enhance her warm diamond. I think DK did it?

Maybe KKJohnson, she has a yellow marquise diamond I believe has a cup and I know DK made her ring.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Yes, it was a family stone right?
Not suggesting a cup to enhance/change color, and I agree white metal is the way to go. I wonder if inside surface of cup was matte not polished if it would reflect less?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it was a family stone right?
Not suggesting a cup to enhance/change color, and I agree white metal is the way to go. I wonder if inside surface of cup was matte not polished if it would reflect less?

Yup she inherited it from her MIL. I need her MIL!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yup she inherited it from her MIL. I need her MIL!

I think the purpose of it was also to close a window (the eye I think was referred to!;-))

I think the silver looks great.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes that's right, now that you mention it I think that was the main reason she got the cup, forgot about the "eye" @meely

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@AmethystHope The ring is currently in YG, so I wonder if it impacts the color in some way? If you plan to reset the ring, and don’t mind doing some experiments (with different colored foil or paper), can you pls post and let us know what you think of the stone color against different metal color mock ups?

As for settings, I belong to the ‘halo’ camp... :P2

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes that's right, now that you mention it I think that was the main reason she got the cup, forgot about the "eye" @meely

Didn’t phrase my comment well think it was to enhance the color too sure she went yellow for that reason just cannot be bothered to go through the thread now to check :roll2:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@meely you phrased it fine, I got what you were saying but I had forgotten all about the eye until you mentioned it.

AmethystHope

Rough_Rock
@AmethystHope The ring is currently in YG, so I wonder if it impacts the color in some way? If you plan to reset the ring, and don’t mind doing some experiments (with different colored foil or paper), can you pls post and let us know what you think of the stone color against different metal color mock ups?

As for settings, I belong to the ‘halo’ camp... :P2

@icy_jade Hehe, the halo camp is a beautiful one to be in. :kiss2:

The ring is currently all 14k rose gold. I am going to reset in platinum as a 3-stone with the cushions in the last pic of post #1. I purchased the cushions for the purpose of the reset.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks beautiful with just your finger behind it (i.e., the later photos). Who cares what it looks like with a black ring box behind it??

Sometimes I think we give each other too much to think about! I agree that color is paramount and, for affordability, there will almost always be a compromise in something else. I don't have a single "perfect" colored stone, although I've spent some real money on a few.

I wouldn't touch that ring and I would love to own it -- but that's just me.

AmethystHope

Rough_Rock
I think it looks beautiful with just your finger behind it (i.e., the later photos). Who cares what it looks like with a black ring box behind it??

Sometimes I think we give each other too much to think about! I agree that color is paramount and, for affordability, there will almost always be a compromise in something else. I don't have a single "perfect" colored stone, although I've spent some real money on a few.

I wouldn't touch that ring and I would love to own it -- but that's just me.

@LilAlex Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts. Since joining PS, I have second guessed my pre-PS purchases. This thread is the first I’ve started and it took a bit to get up the courage to post.

I don’t care what what it looks like with the black box behind it. My thought was that by sharing pictures of it with the window most visible experienced members could more easily share opinions about whether or not recutting was worth exploring.

I hope this thread didn’t come off as flippant - not my intent at all. While this ring is not in the stratosphere of a lot of the jewelry posted on PS, I am grateful to own this sapphire.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope this thread didn’t come off as flippant - not my intent at all. While this ring is not in the stratosphere of a lot of the jewelry posted on PS, I am grateful to own this sapphire.

Oh, no no no no no! Sorry! This was not a "poor little me" post about how happy you should be to own it. I just meant that as an unbiased stranger with no horse in this race, I really like it on the finger. We have a 6+ ct unheated beautiful blue Ceylon sapphire that sits in a safe deposit box because spouse won't wear it. I look at it from time to time and think, "wait, is that maybe a hint of gray I'm seeing? And the culet is a little eccentric..." Sometimes I wish i could just turn that off and enjoy the whole package, like we do with dogs and people :)

AmethystHope

Rough_Rock
Oh, no no no no no! Sorry! This was not a "poor little me" post about how happy you should be to own it. I just meant that as an unbiased stranger with no horse in this race, I really like it on the finger. We have a 6+ ct unheated beautiful blue Ceylon sapphire that sits in a safe deposit box because spouse won't wear it. I look at it from time to time and think, "wait, is that maybe a hint of gray I'm seeing? And the culet is a little eccentric..." Sometimes I wish i could just turn that off and enjoy the whole package, like we do with dogs and people :)

@LilAlex No need to apologize! I’m grateful for your post and our exchange. Gems, in all their forms and the jewelry that is made with them, are a life extra that relatively few get to enjoy.

Your advice is succinct; I’m ready to enjoy the whole package - plus I have a window to see it all clearly. ;)2

I hope your Ceylon beauty, with its colour hints and eccentricity, perceived or otherwise, tugs at your heart until you give it a permanent home in everyday life surrounded by people who will enjoy its beauty and dogs who will mostly drool on it. (Well, maybe people will too! :lol-2:)

Cheers!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it with something behind it, but it's up to you!!!

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
What did you wind up doing with this stone? I think it's cool the way it is, giving you different colors from center to sides.

AmethystHope

Rough_Rock
What did you wind up doing with this stone? I think it's cool the way it is, giving you different colors from center to sides.

Thank you for checking in. =)2 I decided not to recut the sapphire, and it is currently with Alistair Kelsey, who will make an Elegance setting for it using the side stones I purchased from mrs-b. Not sure when the ring will be complete, but I will post pictures when it arrives!

Elegance.JPG

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bron357 Since the sapphire was in in Australia, I ended up getting the sapphire recut by Doug. Wow.

@mrs-b Thought you’d like to see the finished ring. :)

Alistair’s magical artistry, brought to life; such a gifted talent.

2ACBE165-33F8-418D-9C67-7CB59A054AF3.jpeg

Stunning. Doug certainly has the magic touch and he often works alongside Alistair. You must be thrilled with the result :love::love::love:

AmethystHope

Rough_Rock
Stunning. Doug certainly has the magic touch and he often works alongside Alistair. You must be thrilled with the result :love::love::love:

Thank you - he sure does! Doug and Alistair are a dream team. I can’t wait until it arrives! It’s still on your side of the planet. =)2

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
@Bron357 Since the sapphire was in in Australia, I ended up getting the sapphire recut by Doug. Wow.

WOW! It’s stunning! And you kept all the colour! I would say the old ring/stone had its own vintage glamor, but this remake is modern and scintillating.

AmethystHope

Rough_Rock
WOW! It’s stunning! And you kept all the colour! I would say the old ring/stone had its own vintage glamor, but this remake is modern and scintillating.

@peacechick Thank you! All the credIt goes to Alistair and Doug - good things happen when you trust the artists.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely beautiful! I love that pink and those diamonds are so clear and sparkling! Beautiful ring!

Whoa, can't even believe that's the same stone! GORGEOUS! And love the proportions. The whole thing is just perfection.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results