shape
carat
color
clarity

Pink Diamond Turned White

zp122

Rough_Rock
I dropped my wifes ring off at a local private jeweler to have the sizing beads removed. They called a few days later and said one of the hooks that holds the main diamond was also missing, and they would fix that as well. I went to pick up the ring today and the main stone, which was pink, now looks like a regular diamond. I informed the jeweler, and she said it was because of heat and kept it to talk to management. Is there a fix for this?

My wife said the wording she saw with the paperwork was lab created. Not sure if that means lab grown diamond or colored pink in a lab.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, zp122!
Did you make notation of the grading report number before you dropped it off with your jeweler, and did you have them show you the grading number inscribed on the girdle when you went in to pick it up?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My guess is that it's a natural diamond that was coated or heated to make it pink, and that the heat at the jeweler undid the coating/treatment.

If it were a natural pink diamond or a lab grown pink that wouldn't happen.

So sorry you experienced that!

zp122

Rough_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, zp122!
Did you make notation of the grading report number before you dropped it off with your jeweler, and did you have them show you the grading number inscribed on the girdle when you went in to pick it up?

I did not no.

zp122

Rough_Rock
My guess is that it's a natural diamond that was coated or heated to make it pink, and that the heat at the jeweler undid the coating/treatment.

If it were a natural pink diamond or a lab grown pink that wouldn't happen.

So sorry you experienced that!

Is that something they can fix?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dropped my wifes ring off at a local private jeweler to have the sizing beads removed. They called a few days later and said one of the hooks that holds the main diamond was also missing, and they would fix that as well. I went to pick up the ring today and the main stone, which was pink, now looks like a regular diamond. I informed the jeweler, and she said it was because of heat and kept it to talk to management. Is there a fix for this?

My wife said the wording she saw with the paperwork was lab created. Not sure if that means lab grown diamond or colored pink in a lab.

Ps do you have any pics of the paperwork from the original ring?

zp122

Rough_Rock
Ps do you have any pics of the paperwork from the original ring?

The paperwork is somewhere I have to find it, but it was in the zales computer when I stopped there.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The paperwork is somewhere I have to find it, but it was in the zales computer when I stopped there.

Did you originally buy it at zales? Do you remember the shape?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I did. Princess cut.

Huh, I can't find any pink diamonds on zales website. I see morganite, lab sapphire, etc, but no pink diamond

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Everyone!
the vast majority of pink lab created diamonds are treated to get the color. It's a different process than the one used to make diamonds blue, for example. More complex.
Heat can absolutely destroy the color.
As far as "fixing" it.....likely not possible. However I'm not sure on that one.
But in terms of the fading, totally possible

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everyone!
the vast majority of pink lab created diamonds are treated to get the color. It's a different process than the one used to make diamonds blue, for example. More complex.
As far as "fixing" it.....likely not possible. However I'm not sure on that one.

Can heat destroy other colors too? Or is it just pink?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Can heat destroy other colors too? Or is it just pink?

Really good question!
I'm not sure, specifically regarding which colors....but without a doubt, it makes sense for bench people to be careful with colored lab diamonds.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Everyone!

Thanks for the info, I definitely didn't know that most pink labs could be hurt by heat.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You're most welcome!
Many of the lab pinks have orange fluorescence.
The only lab diamonds that fluoresce, far as I know.....
They do all kinds of weird things,...who knows?
Before lab diamonds, when we were offered treated natural diamonds, the pink ones always had strange aspects.
Some are coated- heat would definitely affect that....and I think there was an additional step beyond the coating..Personally, I have never been interested in owning color treated earth diamonds
I don't know maybe they have magic toads that lick the diamonds turning them pink....hahahaha

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Any color that is not as grown the safe thing to do is treat it as if heat will change the color.
Pink and red are the direct result of heat treating after nuking so probably the most likely to change.
Nuked blues can change tone with heating, its done to shift the color to more blue, less green.
Greens as I recall are also heated at some point in the process.

Finding a jeweler with a laser welder is a good idea for repairs.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are indications but not definitive information that yellows can also be heat sensitive.
The best bet is to consider all of them heat sensitive.
I would discuss this with anyone working with them.
Laser welders can save a lot of problems.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Apparently it is possible to bleach earth grown, natural color pink diamonds with UV light.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0925963512001975

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._processes_in_natural_pink_and_brown_diamonds

And by polishing

https://www.fcresearch.org/wp-conte...r-2014-Volume-25-Number-8_by-John-Chapman.pdf

Regardless of lab or earth, treated or untreated, I would only want an experienced jeweler to work on a fancy colored diamond after explicitly discussing the possible effects.
A long time ago I had color treated earth grown melee in green and blue for a band. Never had any problems but never did any major work on them, either.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's entirely possible that Zales has a warranty that addresses this. If you have it insured, this would probably be a covered loss as well. These things can be replaced although redoing the treatment probably isn't a choice.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results