carat
color
clarity

Pics of Your 2014 Vegetable Garden

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
artdecogirl|1404449391|3706515 said:
Moneymeister, you are brave to plant mint but some are not as aggressive spreaders as others and there are tons of varieties maybe you will get lucky, the thing growing on the side of your house is probably another variety of mint, catmint is a member of the mint family but does not smell like mint at all so probably not that. Calliecake, Pictures please!!!!!! as much as I love these beautiful veggie gardens I wanna see some flowers too!

Artdecogirl, I will post some when my husband gets back in town. I'm not sure where he has the picture stored on the computer. My yard was so pretty up until 2 years ago. My favorite pear tree had to be cut down last year due to fire blight and this past winter wrecked havoc on my rose bushes, boxwoods and evergreens. I'm sure next year I'll be replacing many rose bushes. I just pray the backyard evergreens look better next year. My landscaper keeps telling me they will be fine. I'm replacing so much of my front yard landscaping this year. Talk about depleting a girls bling fund!

Saoirse2

Shiny_Rock
I enjoyed all the pictures, from bugs to baby helpers and a wild pig? Thank you all for sharing :wavey:
Just wondering what does Jackfruit taste like?
I planted some Trinity Hybrid sweet corn about 66 days ago. No diseases, beautiful tassels, extremely sweet, just small-abnormal looking :confused: :(( Apples are tasty too :bigsmile:

392.jpg

_19882.jpg

_19883.jpg

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
artdecogirl said:
mochiko42|1404483454|3706708 said:
Hi Davi,

Nice garden!! I would love to have a backyard like that to grow herbs and veggies and fruits. Unfortunately I am living in a high rise apartment at the moment with no garden (very sad for someone who grew up in the country raising chickens and ducks and growing veggies in the back yard). The photos are of my parents' place about 15 minutes away. I grow a lot of plants from seed in my apartment and then transfer to my parents' garden. Today I gave them three avocado seedlings (about 15 inches tall) and a planter pot of a dozen Meyer lemon seedlings. :)

It's the family home where I grew up so the trees have been around for several decades. Here are some more of the fruit trees we have. Most were already here when my dad bought the place in the late 70s, or he planted them in the 80s. We have lychee, long-an, pomegranate, guava, banana, sweet potato, papaya, camphor tree, mango, lemon, orange, kumquats, plum, Chinese peach, etc. Flowers are mostly orchids which are my mother's area of expertise.

Starfruit/carambola:
starfruit.jpg

Jackfruit
jackfruit.jpg

Papaya
papaya.jpg

A couple of "wildlife" shots:
saikung.jpg wildpig.jpg
Mochiko42, I was so jealous of all the fruit you can grow in your climate and then I saw the last pic!!! omg what is that? tell me please he is a tiny critter like a mouse or something, I think if I saw that in my garden I would just fall over in a faint,yowzers.
Hi artdecogirl,

It's a wild pig (the kind with tusks!). They are native to this part of the world and typically very shy and afraid of people, unfortunately life is tough due to habitat destruction. This spring we had a momma pig and her piglets visit often for a meal in the garden. They were very cute! It was worth sacrificing some bananas and sweet potatoes :)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I love this thread!!!! Folks and critters at the same table...awesome! :appl:

cheers--Sharon

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Saoirse2 said:
I enjoyed all the pictures, from bugs to baby helpers and a wild pig? Thank you all for sharing :wavey:
Just wondering what does Jackfruit taste like?
I planted some Trinity Hybrid sweet corn about 66 days ago. No diseases, beautiful tassels, extremely sweet, just small-abnormal looking :confused: :(( Apples are tasty too :bigsmile:
Wow, that corn looks really juicy! Yum. What kind of apples do you grow, are they golden delicious? They don't look like granny Smith in the pictures. :)

I actually don't like jackfruit :razz: it tastes to me like a stinky sour banana. But I'm just biased. Some people really live jackfruit, but not me!

Ximena

Rough_Rock
Nice gardens! I'll probably take the lettuces down this eve before weather bakes them off :(sad

We are also swimming in Juliet super-mini Romas right now:

_19950.jpg

839.jpg

theren

Rough_Rock
This is my first year with a garden.. Yellow cherry tomato es, zucchini, cucumbers, bell peppers, strawberries, and yellow watermelon.

photogrid_1403816639684.jpg

Saoirse2

Shiny_Rock
Wow, that corn looks really juicy! Yum. What kind of apples do you grow, are they golden delicious? They don't look like granny Smith in the pictures. :)

I actually don't like jackfruit :razz: it tastes to me like a stinky sour banana. But I'm just biased. Some people really live jackfruit, but not me!

Really? :blackeye: ;( The apple tree is a 3 in 1 grafted that produces Golden Delicious with Braeburn texture :lickout:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Monarch -- I talked with a lady at the pet food store who grows garlic. She suggested taking the biggest clove from each head and planting that for next year. She's done this for some years (5-10?) running and now gets these gigantic fist sized CLOVES of garlic! She says they are regular garlic (not elephant) and have the best flavor ever :lickout:

So many gorgeous gardens!

While my computer was down for upgrades, I got a bit of time out in the garden :appl:

Planted 6 raspberry bushes (1 each of 6 varieties). Will see how they do and add another 10-15.
Planted 12 strawberry plants (2 varieties) of regular sized strawberries in the wild strawberry patch.
Planted 1 cucumber plant (since I killed all of my starts :nono: )
Planted 3 squash plants (same fate as the cucumber starts :nono: )
Planted 3 watermelon plants (see other dead sprouts...)
Planted 3 regular basil planters plus one purple basil planter.
Planted additional thyme.
Replaced the rosemary plants that died over winter.
Planted my Brussels sprouts starts (I actually didn't kill them :appl: )

Still to go -- corn to plant, pepper plants to get in the ground, billions more tomato plants sprouted...

Blueberries are ripening.
Blackberries are ripening.
Enough sage & oregano & lemon balm (NEVER NEVER plant this!!!) that I'm hauling bags to unsuspecting neighbors.
No figs yet but the tree is happy.
No quinces yet and the tree is still all spotty :((

Tomatoes....
I've got a couple of tomatoes on the one bush I bought. The ones I started from seed (in the first batch) are growing but the plants are still about a foot tall. Just have to wait and see...

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Monarche64, Calliecake and artdecolover- thanks so much for your replies! I was gone this weekend but tonight will investigate the mystery weed/mint. I appreciate the square stem tip! :wavey:

monarch64|1404426408|3706288 said:
If it looks like mint, smells like mint, AND has a square stem, it is mint. I've never heard of any dangerous lookalikes.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
UGH! Japanese Beetles :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
First garden harvest Mucho Nacho Jalapenos :D

We're maybe a week away from the first tomatoes, some more peppers and three zucchinis.

The Mexican Sour Gherkin Cucumbers are absolutely adorable! They make me feel like a giant.

wp_20140716_002.jpg

10409340_518161055275_3984024410891936169_n.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome peppers, Davi! Did you get rid of your Japanese Beetles? We haven't had any for a few years here, knock wood.

I took down my sugar snap peas this morning. I want to save the great big ripe peas for seed, but I think I was supposed to let them dry all the way out on the vines first. Does anyone know if I can still save the peas inside for seed? Can I just leave them out to dry in the sun or put them on really low heat in the oven? I've about googled the topic silly. Some say you can bring them inside and leave them in an open paper bag to dry, but I don't want to bother if that won't work. :confused: :read: I couldn't stand looking at those messy, dying pea vines another day, plus I have limited space in the raised beds and want to plant something else in that space for a fall crop.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Davi, as you know I've declared WAR on the Japanese basils that are RAPING my basil plants, so I've done some research this week......

Common consensus is to avoid beetle traps because they actually attract more beetles.

Two potential remedies that I'm going to try (both organic) are Eastern Red Cedar Oil and Garlic-Infused Oil.......either mixed in a spray bottle with water. Apparently, they dislike these strong smells (and the cedar oil actually disables something in their respiratory systems so they can't breathe).

I'm also reading that it's a good idea to treat your lawn aggressively in the fall (and spring) for grubs, which is where the little buggers thrive from.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
aljdewey|1405529356|3714506 said:
Davi, as you know I've declared WAR on the Japanese basils that are RAPING my basil plants, so I've done some research this week......

Common consensus is to avoid beetle traps because they actually attract more beetles.

Two potential remedies that I'm going to try (both organic) are Eastern Red Cedar Oil and Garlic-Infused Oil.......either mixed in a spray bottle with water. Apparently, they dislike these strong smells (and the cedar oil actually disables something in their respiratory systems so they can't breathe).

I'm also reading that it's a good idea to treat your lawn aggressively in the fall (and spring) for grubs, which is where the little buggers thrive from.

Alj…I've used this for years. When I lived in south Texas, it was the only thing that worked on almost all of the nasty garden bugs down there. http://www.organicgardening.com/learn-and-grow/all-purpose-insect-pest-spray

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Any garden updates?? Pictures???

cheers--Sharon

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sharon, :lol: So glad you are keeping up with this thread! Wish you lived close, I'd share with you what little bounty we've had this year.

We had a fair amount of blackberries (I know, fruits, not veggies!) with which I made some blackberry tarts.

Here's a shot of my raised beds with trellises for zucchini, cucumbers, eggplants, and blackberries in the background.

We've grilled a lot of zucchini and pickled/canned a ton of cukes. My tomatoes are JUST starting to ripen. :rolleyes:
They took forever this year because of unseasonably cool temps/dry weather. Last year I had ripe tomatoes by the end of the first week of July!
Last, a shot of some "mystery peppers." I mixed up my starts this spring and have been really worried that I planted ghost peppers without knowing exactly what they were. However, I harvested the pictured ones and they've turned out to be a hybrid jalepeno called "Fooled Ya" that has the flavor of jalepenos with none of the heat/fire. Not sure how I feel about that. But they grew, and they bore fruit, so I consider it a win anyway!

blackberrytart_010.jpg

butterycrust.jpg

garden2014july.jpg

mysterypeppers.jpg

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
Great pictures :))
I had a big disappointment with tomatoes. Even after a few applications of Epsom salt, blossom end rot ruled :angryfire:
Summer quashes and odd looking yellow peppers are still going strong. One forgotten patty pan squash was the size of my palm yesterday! Peaches are better this year [after all that thinning], the crisp was nice tooo :lickout:

yellow.png

8-14crisp.png

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lulie, glad your peaches turned out so great, and your squash looks fantastic. Here's a great publication about blossom end rot, and how to avoid it: https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/bp/bp-13.html Tl;dr version--epsom salt apps don't work, you have to maintain consistent soil moisture and amend your soil properly.

I've sown fall crops the past few weeks. Stay tuned...my row covers are hanging out in the garage waiting for the first frost date!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I love this SM T VG thread! :lickout:

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1407728157|3730008 said:
Sharon, :lol: So glad you are keeping up with this thread! Wish you lived close, I'd share with you what little bounty we've had this year.

Come across the Rockies Monnie...and bring fresh berries. :lickout: I'll supply the fortified stuff! :bigsmile: :lol:

cheers--Sharon

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So far, I've been able to pick:

(yes.... individual numbers, not pounds or anything like that :nono: )
1 cucumber
2 tomatoes
1 blueberry

Plus a bunch of little strawberries (about 2 pounds) and lots of herbs.

Picking blackberries tomorrow.

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
SM T VG thread :clap:

monarch64|1407807916|3730593 said:
Lulie, glad your peaches turned out so great, and your squash looks fantastic. Here's a great publication about blossom end rot, and how to avoid it: https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/bp/bp-13.html Tl;dr version--epsom salt apps don't work, you have to maintain consistent soil moisture and amend your soil properly.

I've sown fall crops the past few weeks. Stay tuned...my row covers are hanging out in the garage waiting for the first frost date!

Thank you monarch for the link =) yep, went away for a few days when I knew a heat wave was coming that weekend. When I came home, I discarded what I thought was damaged but nothing stopped the process after that. I'm coastal; I think Epson made matters much worse :sick:

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
lovin' these pictures and updates! Monny, that pepper sounds interesting!

Sorry to hear about the blossom end rot Lulie. We've been very lucky up here in this neck of the woods. Our tomatoes are just starting to ripen... all.at.once.

The green beans are harvestable now. We picked about 2 pounds yesterday from our six teepees.

The pepper plants are just mindboggling this year. Jalapenos and Sante Fe's galore. Giant bells and snacking peppers. Just waiting on the cayennes to ripen.

wp_20140812_005.jpg

wp_20140731_001.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Davi|1407884568|3731130 said:
lovin' these pictures and updates! Monny, that pepper sounds interesting!

Sorry to hear about the blossom end rot Lulie. We've been very lucky up here in this neck of the woods. Our tomatoes are just starting to ripen... all.at.once.

The green beans are harvestable now. We picked about 2 pounds yesterday from our six teepees.

The pepper plants are just mindboggling this year. Jalapenos and Sante Fe's galore. Giant bells and snacking peppers. Just waiting on the cayennes to ripen.

HOLYMOLY!! A pepper as big and green as your kettle! :love: foodkitchengardencandyyum!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so envious of y'all's gardens and beautiful produce. :lickout:

Thanks for taking and posting pics.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny, I thought we'd see more pics of your sweet 100s. Or hornworms? Hope you got a great harvest. Where you live, can you grow them again or year round? I have no idea how CA/your area works as far as planting/growing.

Sharon, I'll be right over with the remainder of the blackberries since you're offering wine.

TooPatient: you know, this gardening thing is all a guessing game. So many variables, much like the stock market. At least if you're fortunate enough to get a payoff in the gardening game, you actually have something tangible to eat or share. Please don't give up; this was a crappy year for my gardening and all I can do is try to learn, and keep trying to grow stuff. Love that you got strawberries and herbs in abundance. If you have strawberries and basil or mint you could try making a cocktail with them to ease your pain! LOL! :bigsmile: Anyway, I applaud your efforts, especially starting things from seeds. I know firsthand how much work goes into it and that everything seems to work against you. You can do this! You have the right attitude, for sure.

Davi! Your garden's fruit is the stuff of dreams! I'm as impressed as impressed could be. What will you do with all your peppers and tomatoes? Bet your neighbors (well the ones you like) just love you!

Hope I didn't miss anyone but I feel like I did. If so, this has been a wonderful thread and I have really enjoyed scrolling through it periodically. So many beautiful pictures, different fruits/veggies I didn't even know about, and knowledge shared here and there. I love that more and more people are getting into growing their own food. :wavey:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Monarch!

I never give up. This is better than last year.

We'll have more blueberries when the bushes get bigger. The low berries were eaten by the rabbits and the higher ones were eaten by deer. The bushes are still growing (should reach about 8ft high) and I've got 10 (12?) so should have plenty once they are big.
Same with the raspberries (only it is one of our dogs eating them).

Looks like I may have more growing out there so hopefully some squash and stuff soon!

Mia16

Rough_Rock
It has been awhile, loved all the pictures and advice posted. Planted a bit more of radishes to extend the season, warmer weather produced a much spicier yield- borderline 'hot' :o
Brandywine tomatoes, still waiting for them to ripen, and I'm so ready for them...

_21360.jpg

21377.jpg

hoover

Shiny_Rock
I'll play!
This is the first year that I got watermelons to set fruit. Hopefully we have enough time left before the frost for the melons to ripen. Two of them are the size of softballs and two are golf ball size. Anyone know if I should cut back the vines or at least cut off the flowers? I don't know how long it will take for them to ripen or how big these "yellow baby" melons will get...

I have a few tomatillos setting and the plums are just starting to ripen :dance:
The black krim tomatoes haven't ripened yet though. The first one I picked had the blossom end rot :sick: anyone know how long these take to ripen? I swear they've been green for a month now!

_21393.jpg

_21394.jpg

_21395.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results