shape
carat
color
clarity

Pics of band where height off finger is different!

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
So my jeweler has agreed to refine my prongs and the ring and if I don't like it they will remake the whole thing from scratch, no problem. They just want me to love it.

I was originally strict that the band heights (off the finger) must match but now I am not so sure. I see lots of sets where the eternity is higher and then the wedding band and engagement ring are the same height but lower than the eternity.

So I would love thoughts and photos of 3 band sets (solitaire, wedder, eternity) where all the heights off the finger match and where the eternity sits slightly/significantly higher than the other 2 bands.

Say for example the eternity sits at 2-2.5mm off the finger but the wedder/ER sits at 1.5 - 1.8mm off the finger

Current band widths are 3mm and 2mm.

Hope I am making sense. Thats alot of numbers!

I would love some help with this!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I *think* I understand what you are asking. Here are photos of bands all different heights/widths. First up all 3 bands together. I prefer when they are the same height and width generally but for some reason this works for me too.

beawithall3bands.jpeg

closeupbeaandall3bands.jpg

The difference is more magnified when I wear only one band with my ER

beawithfrenchcutsapphireband-3.jpg

singlecutbandwithoecer.jpg

and here are the bands that are the same height and width.
IRL you cannot see much of a difference when I wear the bands of different heights and widths vs when I wear the band that matches exactly.
Back of band with ER
backofhandwitherandwb.jpg

Front view. This is the band that matches the most closely with Bea.
wbanderwithfrankie.jpg

and my favorite..the profile view. With the 2 matching widths and heights.

lovetheprofile.jpg

HTH. And if I totally missed the mark re your question please ask again and maybe someone else will get it.
Good luck and I hope you love whatever you decide is the best choice for you.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine are the same height off the finger & in width & were purposefully made that way, just in the wrong order! My wedding ring is original & I never remove it. The solitaire was re-set to match the same dimensions but 0.5mm thinner, then lastly the eternity was re-set & again, matches the wedder in height & width. For the record they are 3mm, 3mm & 2.5mm wide.

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
olPBEL2.png
22519277_10214416547145476_6121214284846419396_n.jpg
The wedding band is a lot smaller (thinner and lower) than the shank of my ring, doesn't bother me at all.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My wedding band is 1/2 a size larger and quite a lot taller than my ering but it doesn’t look off tho it probably should.
39E2A82C-8056-4FDC-8AA8-201304218E2E.jpeg

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for the pictures ladies.

Helps alot!

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
lovetheprofile.jpg

HTH. And if I totally missed the mark re your question please ask again and maybe someone else will get it.
Good luck and I hope you love whatever you decide is the best choice for you.[/QUOTE]
I love your Ering missy and you are the only ring I have seen with the same side detail as mine! (The little circles, not sure what they are called)

@KirstLWA my set has a slight difference in height. 1216E53C-632C-4BA4-AFCD-F48F790447AC.jpeg
image.jpg 97605442-35E9-477C-8B3E-EB7822664089.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Rubybrick! Love your ring too. :love:
According to owd the setting is a true antique. I don’t know or remember why the circles are there but perhaps others do know and will chime in. Enjoy your beautiful ER and WB!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bands of differing heights really big me so I don’t stack any bands of differing heights if I can help it. For that reason (and others) I have been anal to have only one vendor make any bands I want to wear with my ering. I can be assured that the heights of the bands will be the same. Sorry no pics to share. I think I deleted them all cause they just bugged me.

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@LLJsmom would you feel the same if it meant all bands were 2.2mm high off the finger? You don’t think it’d look too chunky?

@Alex T I’d love to see a shot from the top if you have one? How high are your bands?

Thanks again everyone!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LLJsmom would you feel the same if it meant all bands were 2.2mm high off the finger? You don’t think it’d look too chunky?

@Alex T I’d love to see a shot from the top if you have one? How high are your bands?

Thanks again everyone!

I think I could live with 2.2mm if all the bands were 2.2mm height. Right now both of mine are are about 1.9mm-2mm. It also depends on the width of the bands. I also prefer the bands to be the same width. It took me years to figure this out. I started wearing my rings in 2012. For a couple of years I tried all kids of bands and stacks and couldnjot figure out why certain looks just did not look exactly right to my eyes. I finally figured out that I am OCD about band width and height. For my eyes to be comfortable with my whole set they MUST be the same. Everyone is different.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@KirstLWA Here are my rings from the top down as requested... IMG_20180212_153422.jpg

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a side profile showing the height from the finger. The wedding & eternity ring are both 2mm from the finger. The solitaire, well, that has a height all of it's own!! IMG_20180212_154212.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a side profile showing the height from the finger. The wedding & eternity ring are both 2mm from the finger. The solitaire, well, that has a height all of it's own!! IMG_20180212_154212.jpg

Gorgeous Alex! I love all your rings!:love:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous Alex! I love all your rings!:love:

Why thank you, Miss Missy! A compliment indeed coming from someone who has jewels worthy of a display cabinet for the public to dribble over!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I *think* I understand what you are asking. Here are photos of bands all different heights/widths. First up all 3 bands together. I prefer when they are the same height and width generally but for some reason this works for me too.

beawithall3bands.jpeg

closeupbeaandall3bands.jpg

The difference is more magnified when I wear only one band with my ER

beawithfrenchcutsapphireband-3.jpg

singlecutbandwithoecer.jpg

and here are the bands that are the same height and width.
IRL you cannot see much of a difference when I wear the bands of different heights and widths vs when I wear the band that matches exactly.
Back of band with ER
backofhandwitherandwb.jpg

Front view. This is the band that matches the most closely with Bea.
wbanderwithfrankie.jpg

and my favorite..the profile view. With the 2 matching widths and heights.

lovetheprofile.jpg

Good luck and I hope you love whatever you decide is the best choice for you.

I think @missy's stack works with varying heights because they are all thinner bands. With a wider eternity, I feel like the increased height AND width doesn't work as well. Just MHO. :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think @missy's stack works with varying heights because they are all thinner bands. With a wider eternity, I feel like the increased height AND width doesn't work as well. Just MHO. :)

Hey there @msop04, yes, I think that is right. Generally I prefer a matched width and height look but for some reason (IRL) my bands just seem to flow well together. I don't wear them like that though and wear at max 2 WBS with my ER or just one WB with my ER. Just took the photo with all of them for illustrative purposes. But you hit the proverbial nail on the head with the reason it works I think.

Here are the max # of bands with ER I wear at once. The width is all pretty similar.

oecerwithwbs.jpg

Face up with another combo. Not matched perfectly at all. But IRL it definitely works (for me).

beawithblueandsuisse.jpg

Attachments

• oecwithantiqueplatband1.jpeg
    oecwithantiqueplatband1.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 17

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey there @msop04, yes, I think that is right. Generally I prefer a matched width and height look but for some reason (IRL) my bands just seem to flow well together. I don't wear them like that though and wear at max 2 WBS with my ER or just one WB with my ER. Just took the photo with all of them for illustrative purposes. But you hit the proverbial nail on the head with the reason it works I think.

Here are the max # of bands with ER I wear at once. The width is all pretty similar.

oecerwithwbs.jpg

Face up with another combo. Not matched perfectly at all. But IRL it definitely works (for me).

beawithblueandsuisse.jpg

Another thing that occurred to me is that the band which is slightly wider is a darker color (sapphires), so that may also give the appearance of "smaller/shorter"...or maybe I'm just making that up. LOL ;-)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The main problem with a larger eternity with other rings is not so much the height from the top, but it is going to appear wider at the sides of the finger than the other rings. That is the part I hate the most. I've seen people post pictures like that here before, but I haven't saved one to show you.

Found a quick example...some are more pronounced than this but hopefully you get the idea.
eternitywiderthanotherrings1.jpg

Last edited:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
E63984F4-B463-4993-B5DE-8C52A80F9B72.jpeg 70E2F25A-2B37-464E-A9C5-B0D72A9593AB.jpeg E8D393BC-D2F0-4385-B226-16C2A7E7D4F7.jpeg Let me preface by saying my rings are super dirty after a weeken in Vegas. Lol. Hope they help.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The main problem with a larger eternity with other rings is not so much the height from the top, but it is going to appear wider at the sides of the finger than the other rings. That is the part I hate the most. I've seen people post pictures like that here before, but I haven't saved one to show you.

Found a quick example...some are more pronounced than this but hopefully you get the idea.
eternitywiderthanotherrings1.jpg

The first thing I thought of was this thread... Although these eternities are TDF, some look like they'd be quite uncomfortable due to the height. It's obvious you wouldn't be able to close your fingers with most of them.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-big-eternity-band.156144/page-2

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I think I could live with 2.2mm if all the bands were 2.2mm height. Right now both of mine are are about 1.9mm-2mm. It also depends on the width of the bands. I also prefer the bands to be the same width. It took me years to figure this out. I started wearing my rings in 2012. For a couple of years I tried all kids of bands and stacks and couldnjot figure out why certain looks just did not look exactly right to my eyes. I finally figured out that I am OCD about band width and height. For my eyes to be comfortable with my whole set they MUST be the same. Everyone is different.

Hi LLJsmom,

This message really helped me figure out what is preventing me from making a decision for my wedding band. I kept thinking maybe it is the gap between my solitaire to the potential WB, but I'm realizing it is also the width AND height that needs to match.

Since you have been through this journey, did you match a diamond wedding band with an ER? I am wondering if it is possible to get a diamond WB to match in height and width or if that is overly complicated.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi LLJsmom,

This message really helped me figure out what is preventing me from making a decision for my wedding band. I kept thinking maybe it is the gap between my solitaire to the potential WB, but I'm realizing it is also the width AND height that needs to match.

Since you have been through this journey, did you match a diamond wedding band with an ER? I am wondering if it is possible to get a diamond WB to match in height and width or if that is overly complicated.

I had the person who made my ering make a matching band. That was the only way I trusted the outcome would be as I wanted. I didn’t trust another process. So it wasn’t complicated but specific.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I had the person who made my ering make a matching band. That was the only way I trusted the outcome would be as I wanted. I didn’t trust another process. So it wasn’t complicated but specific.

I'm thinking I may do the same thing, have the same person design both. This way I can have them design a plain band and a band with diamonds to match my ER.

Please let me know if you provided any other information that you found was helpful in demonstrating your point, to my surprise, I have found it hard to find photos.

-First photo demonstrates the simple band (although the ER is not exactly what I want.
-Second & third photo are ALMOST close to the same height and width, but still not exactly correct. It says they are 13 points, so does the jeweler need to match the height and width of the diamonds, then include the height and width of the metal surrounding it, THEN create the band and ER after those measurements?

Another question is, someone in a previous post mentioned having an even number of diamonds on the wedding band, this way the solitaire sits in between. Visually this sounds like it makes sense, what are your thoughts?

My request would be a:
a) 4 prong cathedral solitaire
b) plain wedding band
c) wedding band with 5-6 diamonds (I think 13 points, but I don't know for sure)
d) all must match in height AND width

Any further suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated! <3

**EDIT - hmm, those appear to be 7 stones, so maybe I am thinking 7.

1651352547709.jpeg
1651352559657.png
1651352586029.png

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @breanne - so I started with my e-ring. I had that made and it was done. Then I asked the jeweler, Victor Canera, to create a plain band that was exactly the same width, height, as the e-ring. I did NOT tell him how to do it because I certainly would not know. If you are creating a wedding band with diamonds to exactly match the width and height of the shank of your ering, I think you would have to leave it up to him to let him decide the size diamonds would fit in there to achieve the visual result you want. You would not have the expertise to tell him how many points each melee would be because you don't know the exact width and depth of every little diamond. It just needs to fit into the band that matches the shank of your ering. The only thing I think you can specify is if you want the diamonds to go half, or three-quarters or full eternity. Do you see what I'm saying?

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @breanne - so I started with my e-ring. I had that made and it was done. Then I asked the jeweler, Victor Canera, to create a plain band that was exactly the same width, height, as the e-ring. I did NOT tell him how to do it because I certainly would not know. If you are creating a wedding band with diamonds to exactly match the width and height of the shank of your ering, I think you would have to leave it up to him to let him decide the size diamonds would fit in there to achieve the visual result you want. You would not have the expertise to tell him how many points each melee would be because you don't know the exact width and depth of every little diamond. It just needs to fit into the band that matches the shank of your ering. The only thing I think you can specify is if you want the diamonds to go half, or three-quarters or full eternity. Do you see what I'm saying?

You brought up some very good points. Instead of looking at it on 'how' they can create my ER to match the same height and width of my desired size diamonds for my WB, maybe it is having them tell me which size diamonds will fit height and width of the ER I want. Perhaps it really isn't possible to have the look I want if I 'chose' 13 points, maybe it can only be achieved at 10, for example.

I think this information changes it all, which is great. I think I was getting caught up on 'how' that would be possible, not because I want to tell them how to do their job, but because I couldn't actually figure out how that would make sense. But, your point makes it much clearer, they will have to tell me what size diamonds instead of me telling them.

Thank you soooo much. That was a good perspective moving forward.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @breanne -

Something that will help you is remembering that most diamonds are around 62% in depth of what their diameter is. Best example here is your 13 point diamond idea. Thirteen point diamonds, if using modern round brilliants, are generally calibrated to 3.2mm wide in diameter. Multiply that by .62% (regular depth for diamonds) and you'll get 1.984 (let's say 2mm).

However, that doesn't mean the eternity will be 2mm thick - because the points of the diamonds can't rest on your flesh - it would slowly but surely slice your finger open! So they need to be about 1/2 a mm off the finger, at least ( - fingers swell in the heat, for example, and the flesh will push upwards towards the bottom points of your diamonds). So at *that* point, your eternity ring with 13 point diamonds is going to need to be 2.5mm thick (or 'deep' if you prefer) at a minimum to accommodate the depth of the diamonds and the extra 1/2 a mm to get the points of the diamonds off your flesh.

Your average engagement ring is between 1.5mm and 1.8mm thick. A lot of jewelers SAY they're 2mm thick, but they're rounding up. So if you want an exact match you need to check that. But either way, you'll never find an e-ring that's 2.5mm thick, so if you want an exact match, you're stuck at this point.

But keep in mind, if you do an anniversary ring, rather than an eternity ring (ie diamonds only running across the top/front of your finger (anniversary) as opposed to all the way around (eternity)), the band at the back will be normal band thickness. Here's an example of what I mean:

The wedding band is an even thickness all the way around, while the anniversary ring is a matching thickness at the back...but much thicker at the top to allow for the depth of the diamonds. Even tho this particular trio were made as a set, my intention was always to wear the anniversary band either alone, or with a different band.

And here it is with a different band. Altho they're not a perfect thickness match -because you really can't do that with an eternity band if the diamonds are any appreciable diameter, or with an anniversary band where the depth of the ring is one size where the diamonds are set at the front and something different where it's plain band at the back - they're a pretty good match. HOWEVER - the rings are a different size 7.25 for the anni band and 8 for the wedding ring. Also - the wedding ring has a raised pattern on it, which brings the outer circumference of the band up a little, giving its more visual height. These diamonds are 27 points each, with a depth of 2.5mm, and a total height off the finger of 3mm (allowing for that extra half mm off the finger).

In this next example, the band is 2.2mm wide and also has a raised platinum motif. It's also a size 7.5, vs the anni ring, which is a size 7.25. The match is ok at best - and would probably look better if the wedding band was a size 7.75. (Keep in mind, my normal ring size is 7, but when wearing a few rings together, you normally go up a little in size). Since the larger sized ring is on the bottom, it's not going to go anywhere, so the extra size doesn't worry me. The skinnier your fingers are, tho, the less well this will work.

But in my opinion, a *better* plan is to have the wedding band thicker at the front and thinner at the back. It's 3.2mm wide, and I've thought about about having it remade - still 3.2mm in width, but 2mm thick at the back, getting thicker as it gets to the sides - and then the front - of the finger, at which point it would be 3mm thick. As everyone has said on this thread, it's the sides of the finger where the disparity in depth between diamond set band and plain metal band becomes most obvious. One way of dealing with this is to keep the stretch of diamonds only on the top of your finger. My anniversary ring in this photo is a 7 stone ring. If it were a 5 stone ring it would be easier to match, as the difference in depth between the 2 rings isn't particularly noticeable when you're looking straight down on the rings. But if the diamonds get to the side of your finger, you're basically looking at that part of the ring in profile and can see any disparity in depth between your 2 rings.

An easier fix, of course, is to keep the diamonds smaller - 6 points and below - and that should be small enough to keep the depths of both rings matching.

But - of course - the EASIEST fix is to make yourself a big, fat eternity or anniversary ring...and wear it as a stand along ring on your other hand! And I'm all for that!

Good luck! :wavey:

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @breanne -

Something that will help you is remembering that most diamonds are around 62% in depth of what their diameter is. Best example here is your 13 point diamond idea. Thirteen point diamonds, if using modern round brilliants, are generally calibrated to 3.2mm wide in diameter. Multiply that by .62% (regular depth for diamonds) and you'll get 1.984 (let's say 2mm).

However, that doesn't mean the eternity will be 2mm thick - because the points of the diamonds can't rest on your flesh - it would slowly but surely slice your finger open! So they need to be about 1/2 a mm off the finger, at least ( - fingers swell in the heat, for example, and the flesh will push upwards towards the bottom points of your diamonds). So at *that* point, your eternity ring with 13 point diamonds is going to need to be 2.5mm thick (or 'deep' if you prefer) at a minimum to accommodate the depth of the diamonds and the extra 1/2 a mm to get the points of the diamonds off your flesh.

Your average engagement ring is between 1.5mm and 1.8mm thick. A lot of jewelers SAY they're 2mm thick, but they're rounding up. So if you want an exact match you need to check that. But either way, you'll never find an e-ring that's 2.5mm thick, so if you want an exact match, you're stuck at this point.

But keep in mind, if you do an anniversary ring, rather than an eternity ring (ie diamonds only running across the top/front of your finger (anniversary) as opposed to all the way around (eternity)), the band at the back will be normal band thickness. Here's an example of what I mean:

20210918_155424.jpg

The wedding band is an even thickness all the way around, while the anniversary ring is a matching thickness at the back...but much thicker at the top to allow for the depth of the diamonds. Even tho this particular trio were made as a set, my intention was always to wear the anniversary band either alone, or with a different band.

And here it is with a different band. Altho they're not a perfect thickness match -because you really can't do that with an eternity band if the diamonds are any appreciable diameter, or with an anniversary band where the depth of the ring is one size where the diamonds are set at the front and something different where it's plain band at the back - they're a pretty good match. HOWEVER - the rings are a different size 7.25 for the anni band and 8 for the wedding ring. Also - the wedding ring has a raised pattern on it, which brings the outer circumference of the band up a little, giving its more visual height. These diamonds are 27 points each, with a depth of 2.5mm, and a total height off the finger of 3mm (allowing for that extra half mm off the finger).

20210821_101024.jpg

In this next example, the band is 2.2mm wide and also has a raised platinum motif. It's also a size 7.5, vs the anni ring, which is a size 7.25. The match is ok at best - and would probably look better if the wedding band was a size 7.75. (Keep in mind, my normal ring size is 7, but when wearing a few rings together, you normally go up a little in size). Since the larger sized ring is on the bottom, it's not going to go anywhere, so the extra size doesn't worry me. The skinnier your fingers are, tho, the less well this will work.

But in my opinion, a *better* plan is to have the wedding band thicker at the front and thinner at the back. It's 3.2mm wide, and I've thought about about having it remade - still 3.2mm in width, but 2mm thick at the back, getting thicker as it gets to the sides - and then the front - of the finger, at which point it would be 3mm thick. As everyone has said on this thread, it's the sides of the finger where the disparity in depth between diamond set band and plain metal band becomes most obvious. One way of dealing with this is to keep the stretch of diamonds only on the top of your finger. My anniversary ring in this photo is a 7 stone ring. If it were a 5 stone ring it would be easier to match, as the difference in depth between the 2 rings isn't particularly noticeable when you're looking straight down on the rings. But if the diamonds get to the side of your finger, you're basically looking at that part of the ring in profile and can see any disparity in depth between your 2 rings.

20211120_101319.jpg

An easier fix, of course, is to keep the diamonds smaller - 6 points and below - and that should be small enough to keep the depths of both rings matching.

But - of course - the EASIEST fix is to make yourself a big, fat eternity or anniversary ring...and wear it as a stand along ring on your other hand! And I'm all for that!

Good luck! :wavey:
@mrs-b

Thank you greatly for this detailed reply, I feel bad because I do in fact only want a anniversary ring :) I'm just not sure now between 5-7 stones.

My hope is that similar to the first photo below, I can get the wedding band's metal the same width and height as the ER's, which I don't see being a problem. THEN creating another band with the diamonds with the goal of matching them close as possible to the height of the ER's metal (don't know all the specific terms for things, hopefully this makes sense).

My engagement ring is quite thick (second and third photo), I won't be keeping it exactly the same as I strongly dislike the prongs and I feel the metal itself should be rounded not rectangular if that makes says. Either way, the measurement is still what I like, so I think I do have that in my favor in regards to adding a band with diamonds similar to the one in the first photo and trying to get them to match as much as possible. Since it is not overly thin, I can get away with 'larger' diamonds.

As you mentioned, there will be limitations based on what size the diamonds are based on their own height/width, so I think it'll have to come down to what a designer says will provide that aesthetic I am trying to achieve instead of me saying, "make a 13 pointer work."

My biggest fear is having it all created and it not turn out how I want, it is a lot to invest, so I know I am being very analytical.

Since you have a good grasp on sizing, I *believe* my band is 3mm... if we were just talking width alone, what size stones would fall within that range? I wish I knew the height, I guess that may also change slightly since I will upgrade the center stone as well.

Thank you again for your reply :):):)

1651596050605.png

1651596073035.jpeg

1651596095564.jpeg

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results