shape
carat
color
clarity

Picking a wedding band, finally at Tiffany's after 5 months

50shadesofblack

Shiny_Rock
I posted before with a poll asking which wedding ring should I pick and if someone had 2mm Lucida to show me the pics.

Well, in the mean time I decided that I will stop looking around my country and seven billion other stores for wedding bands, because my fiancé had his heart set on one at Tiffany's. With my engagement ring being from that store too, I wanted to create a set of sorts with the 3 rings.

So... After 5 months of looking at pictures of rings, I finally came back to the States and my baby took me to Tiffany the next day. :love:

I have a lot of pics that I would like to share, so please bear with me. I tried to combine them together so it would not be a total photo overkill. :mrgreen:

This is the wedding band my fiancé wants (what my baby wants, my baby gets ;)) ). It's 4.5mm Lucida in size 7.5

I tried on this shared setting half eternity diamond band. I like how it looks, but for some reason, it does not look like a wedding band to me, but a normal, pretty ring. His mom said this is her favourite, though.
I tried on a similar band with alternating pink sapphires, and decided it would be a perfect baby ring. :mrgreen:

Next up was 1.7mm Round band ring. It looked okay with my engagament ring, but too thin on it's own in my opinion.

I finally tried that 2mm Lucida I was longing to see. I was sure that would be the winner and that we would walk out of the store with the 4.5mm and 2mm Lucidas.... but once I tried it on, I saw how low it was. As I said here (I updated my Lucida thread with a picture in case someone in the future will want to see it), it was too thin and fragile for me. Especially with a price tag of nearly 1000 dollars. :shock:

Lucida 4.5mm.JPG

Partial shared band.JPG

Round band 1.7mm.JPG

Lucida 2mm.JPG

50shadesofblack

Shiny_Rock
Re: Picking a wedding band, finally at Tiffany's after 5 mon

Here are the Round band and the smallest Lucida available together. You can't see a big difference, except that the Round band has heigh (which I like). Top left is the Lucida, top right is the Round band. On the lower picture, Lucida is below my engagement ring and the Round band is above it.

I am pretty sure the 3mm Lucida will be my wedding ring now. Here are the pictures of it, once below and once above my engagement ring, because I am not sure how I will wear them. :mrgreen:
I know they are not a perfect match, but I like that it will match my future husband's ring and it looked amazing on its own. :love:

I love the full eternity channel set band. The one we were looking at was 2.5 mm wide ($3.4k) and completely gorgeous. :love: However, in my country wedding bands are normally just metal and I despite loving this one, I have a preference for a diamondless wedding band. So, we agreed this could be a 5th anniversary gift, I am completely fine with that. :mrgreen:

The sales representative suggested I get the partial channel set band. The one we were looking at was $2.6k so I think it was again 2.5 mm wide?
While it would be a good mix between the American band style (diamonds on one side) and my European style (metal), I again see it only as a ring (not a wedding band) because it's not the same all around. :???: I know that 1/2 or 3/4 is a popular style for wedding rings with diamonds here and as much as I admire many of those rings, for me personally it's not one of the options. I'm weird and complicated, I know. :mrgreen:
I actually wish they had something with this width and height, diamondless. :mrgreen:

I also tried the 2mm and 3mm knife edge bands. I have a picture here of the 2mm one with my engagement ring, but I did not think to take a picture of the 3mm one. We prefered the look of the wider one, because it did not seem too thin, but since I decided I did not want a knife edge band, I didn't remember to take pictures of that.

Lucida2mm Round1.7mm.JPG

Lucida 3mm.JPG

Channel Lucida 3mm.JPG

Half Channel back.JPG

FairieMoon79

Shiny_Rock

I like the round band, I share your opinion the lucida is too low. Or what about the 2mm knife edge you tried on before with the half eternity? The knife edge being in the middle like a spacer. Then you could have different combos for different days or just the 2 bands, etc.

50shadesofblack

Shiny_Rock

And, one more picture just for fun.
This is Tiffany Embrace. My friend said this was her dream engagement ring so I tried it on while I was in the store to snap a couple of pictures for her.
The one I had on was a .63 F VVS1, $10.3k

FairieMoon79|1329153904|3125384 said:
Or what about the 2mm knife edge you tried on before with the half eternity? The knife edge being in the middle like a spacer. Then you could have different combos for different days or just the 2 bands, etc.
Thank you for your suggestion! I am looking to have only one wedding ring, but I am open to different bands for mixing and matching in the future. =) We plan to have many, many anniversaries. :mrgreen:

Actually, that channel set looked really pretty with Lucida (no engagement ring). :mrgreen:

Tiffany Embrace F.63VVS.JPG

FairieMoon79

Shiny_Rock

thats one of the benefits I have found with having a solitaire...I can stack different bands different ways with it or just wear my diamond wedding band with one of the other bands. I have only 1 wedding ring also, but prefer the look of 3 rings on my hands. If the lucida is what your heart truly wants, the 3mm looked best.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

I really like the shared prong band with your ERing!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So glad you were able to go try on bands! I do like the channel set band and the 9 stone shared prong ring like sna's wife has. But of the plain bands, I think the 3mm Lucida does look best of the ones you tried on, but I only think it looks right below the e-ring. It is a nice size to wear alone as well!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

My first "oooh" was the shared prong eternity,but if you want to wait until first baby or 5 year anniversary, that sounds like a good plan!

Then, I thought the Lucida was "IT" until I clicked on the 2mm knife edge!!!! YIPPEE!!! :love: :appl: That's the one that I would pick (oh... and that's what I DID pick almost 27 years ago, in YG!)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

I like that thin plain band (the 1.x mm one) that you were concerned was too narrow. Did you try on a metro diamond one or a novo? Those might work well too.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love the 3mm Lucida.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

I like the 3mm Lucida too, and the shared prong is going to make a beautiful addition on a future anniversary!!

mrswahs

Shiny_Rock

I agree-- the 3mm Lucida seems like the best choice :)

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Christina... said:
I like the 3mm Lucida too, and the shared prong is going to make a beautiful addition on a future anniversary!!
agreed!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ivana|1329152141|3125363 said:
Next up was 1.7mm Round band ring. It looked okay with my engagament ring, but too thin on it's own in my opinion.

THIS is my favorite.

sna77

Brilliant_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1329178807|3125682 said:
So glad you were able to go try on bands! I do like the channel set band and the 9 stone shared prong ring like sna's wife has. But of the plain bands, I think the 3mm Lucida does look best of the ones you tried on, but I only think it looks right below the e-ring. It is a nice size to wear alone as well!

+1. Agree with DS. The 9 stone band is incredible, but if you go with a non-diamond band, then the 3mm Lucida is the best match IMO.

BTW, Did your husband try on the larger Lucida band as well? I bought the 4.5 mm band initially, and ended up returning it because it was too narrow. I'd never worn a ring before and figured the smaller band would less noticeable. After a month of wearing it, I felt it was just too small. Your husband's hands are narrower than mine though...

50shadesofblack

Shiny_Rock

I want to thank everybody for the comments and input :)

I am so terrible, yesterday I was going back and forth between the full eternity channel set and 3mm Lucida. My fiancé thinks I am crazy. :mrgreen:
I am back on Lucida now. :twirl:

sna, I asked him if he wanted to try the 6mm one, but he didn't even want to try it out. He feels this is the perfect width. I thought about you in the store, that's why I asked him to try it :mrgreen:

ame, I did not try Metro or Novo. I saw them though and they seemed too thin. I would like to be able to wear just my wedding band, so I am looking for something that will look good without the engagement ring, too. That is why I nixed the knife edge and 1.7mm Round, they were just not pretty to me on their own. :blackeye:

50shadesofblack

Shiny_Rock

WE BOUGHT THEM!!! :love:

We took 2 Lucidas and this is what they look like:

We sent them off to get them engraved. I was looking for engraving info, but did not find any, so here is how it works:
Rings will be engraved in New York. They charge for engraving, it is done by hand, $30 for first three letters, $6 for every next letter. With this price you can pick between 5 fonts. There are more fonts, they cost more too.

We were thinking: July 21st, 2012 and our names, but with this info, it quickly went down to
Name 21•7•12
Bullets, dashes, dots and similar "spacers" are free. :mrgreen: The bullets will not be as big as they appear here. :mrgreen:

Wedding bands 3mm and 4.5mm Lucidas.jpeg

sna77

Brilliant_Rock

Ivana|1329676882|3129400 said:
WE BOUGHT THEM!!! :love:

We took 2 Lucidas and this is what they look like:

We sent them off to get them engraved. I was looking for engraving info, but did not find any, so here is how it works:
Rings will be engraved in New York. They charge for engraving, it is done by hand, $30 for first three letters, $6 for every next letter. With this price you can pick between 5 fonts. There are more fonts, they cost more too.

We were thinking: July 21st, 2012 and our names, but with this info, it quickly went down to
Name 21•7•12
Bullets, dashes, dots and similar "spacers" are free. :mrgreen: The bullets will not be as big as they appear here. :mrgreen:

Looks great Ivana!

FYI re: engraving. When you choose a font on the sheet, the letters on the example sheet are not italicized. The numbers, however are. Basically, the font you chose will look slightly different than what you think you're ordering. It still looks great--just different. I'll upload a picture to show you once i get home...

The rings look great btw--the 4.5mm looks good on your husband's finger, which is definitely smaller than mine. Quick recommendation for the wedding. Have him pop into the waxing place with you a few days before the wedding and remove the hair from the ring finger. You'll have a hundred photos of your hands with the bands front he wedding, and they'll look nicer without hair encompassing the ring. :)) My wife made me do this for our wedding--and after initially telling her she was nuts, I eventually agreed, and was happy I did so...
:cheeky:

sna77

Brilliant_Rock

found a pic in my outbox. I did the same thing--took the basic font with the bullets... This is my band, taken about 4.5 years after I bought the ring. Plenty of dings on it... :bigsmile:

Again, this font does not look italic in the book with the letter examples.

tiffany_engraving.JPG

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great pic!!

50shadesofblack

Shiny_Rock

Thank you sna!!

The lady at the store told us the letters will all be a bit to the side and she recommended we take a script font where that will not matter much. Thank you for uploading that picture for me. I am happy to see the engraving is not very small. :))

And thanks for the waxing tip! Will do it! :cheeky: :mrgreen:

bankmind80

Rough_Rock

Reviving a old thread - It's amazing how much bigger that 4.5mm looks on your Husbands finger...I just tried on the 4.5mm Lucida yesterday and I'm a size 10. I still prefer it to the 6mm Lucida...but I have some doubt that it may be a little small for my fat fingers.

photo__3__14.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

bankmind80|1404944458|3710027 said:
Reviving a old thread - It's amazing how much bigger that 4.5mm looks on your Husbands finger...I just tried on the 4.5mm Lucida yesterday and I'm a size 10. I still prefer it to the 6mm Lucida...but I have some doubt that it may be a little small for my fat fingers.

photo__3__14.jpg

I think the 4.5mm band looks fine on you, but I do like the 6 as well! That ring looks a little snug, though, so be sure you buy a comfortable size!

Indican

Shiny_Rock

I agree with diamondseeker, the 4.5mm looks fine on you -- *maybe* just a bit snug. My rings get very loose on me in the winter though so I stick with them being a bit snug in the summer.

50shadesofblack

Shiny_Rock

bankmind80|1404944458|3710027 said:
I think the 4.5 mm looks like a good width for you! :twirl: I think the 6mm one might be too chunky. I agree with the previous posters about the ring seeming a bit too small. I don't know if bigger size would be too lose, but you might wanna try it out just to make sure.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock

bankmind80 said:

photo__3__14.jpg

The width looks fine on you. I agree with pp that it just looks a little "snug". My FI ended up with the 6mm double milgrain in plat from Tiffany and he was definitely in between sizes and the particular band he chose cannot be sized (per Tiffany). Maybe try the next size up and see if you feel better about it?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results