• Ring #1 - the simple band

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Ring #2 - channel set eternity band

Votes: 42 76.4%

• Total voters

50shadesofblack

Shiny_Rock
Hello all.

I am looking for a wedding ring and I am torn not between two rings, but two completely different styles. :???:

I have a .48 Tiffany Setting engagement ring which I picked myself and I absolutely adore it! Ring size: 5

Now, about the bands...
I am used to plain bands (matching, usually 3mm wide, no diamonds) as wedding bands and I found one that would, in my opinion, match my engagement ring well. I'd probably wear it above the engagement ring. I am not American and this just makes more sense to me as that is the order they came on my ringer, and besides, the engagement ring is more expensive so I'd rather keep it on the inside of the ring.

The band is kinda bubbly on the top side, so it doesn't clash too much with my knife edge engagement ring, which was my problem with most of the traditional bands. A flat band just looks wrong on this engagement ring.

Anyways, here is a picture of it:

Howeveeeeer, I really liked the Channel set band we saw at Tiffany's.
I am afraid this band, even though it looks nice by itself, takes away from the engagement ring and makes the whole combo look a little bit too flashy and blinky. This is a full circle of diamonds, so resizing would not really be an option, which is a minus since I plan to wear my wedding ring forever and ever.

Also, there's the price issue. I do not want a half circle (rather no diamonds at all), but $3.5k is a lot of money for a 23 and a 25 year old.

The first ring I found in my country, the second one in the USA, so I figured I could have the first ring made in silver and take it to the US and compare them IRL? Even if I do that, I won't be with my fiancée for another 3 months and I keep thinking about this, so I was wondering what y'all thought of these rings? :mrgreen:

Kind regards,
Ivy

Koci.jpeg

Channel.jpeg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can buy a ring like the second for so much less if you want.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I like the simple elegance of the plain band. I have the same feeling as you, that the diamond band takes away from your solitare. However, I think that I would like to see all three stacked together..... :love:

50shadesofblack

Shiny_Rock
Dreamer_D|1321482785|3063215 said:
You can buy a ring like the second for so much less if you want.
I know we can get a ring like that somewhere else, but my fiancé does not want to do that. Thank you for the idea though.

Christina...|1321483165|3063219 said:
However, I think that I would like to see all three stacked together..... :love:
Lol, I can get that picture for you somewhere in February hopefully. :lol:

bleeblue

Shiny_Rock
I think that the plain band in the photo is a little too wide for your engagement ring and overwhelms it - I think a thinner high domed or knife-edge band would sit better with your engagement ring and create a very elegant look.

I love the look of the diamond band with your ering and I don't think it takes away from your ering - but I never recommend buying anything somone cannot afford. Maybe you could wait to get a full eternity diamond band to celebrate an anniversary in the future - and you can then wear all 3 together :D

Just my 2 cents :))

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I agree with bleeblue about getting a plain knife-edge, or a thinner high domed ring if you want to get a plain band.

I prefer the eternity ring.

50shadesofblack

Shiny_Rock
bleeblue|1321485643|3063257 said:
I think that the plain band in the photo is a little too wide for your engagement ring and overwhelms it - I think a thinner high domed or knife-edge band would sit better with your engagement ring and create a very elegant look.
You are right. The ring that looks the best with my engagement ring is it's pair - a Tiffany wedding band. Here is a picture of the two of them together.

The problem with this one is that I do not like the band itself, it has a sharper edge than my engagement ring and I do not like the way it looks by itself.

One of my criteria is that my wedding band looks (and feels) ok by itself, and this one just doesn't. Honestly, the channel setting one has been the only one I've seen that looked great either with the ring or without it. As for the money, it's not that it's an amount we do not have, it's just that it could be spent on furniture or stuff like that. :mrgreen:

Tiffany.jpeg

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with DreamerD. If you like the channel band best, you can purchase it from a PS vendor for a lot less than Tiffany's... maybe that would allow you to get both? check out eweddingbands.com as well for plain bands...

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Ivana|1321486872|3063273 said:
You are right. The ring that looks the best with my engagement ring is it's pair - a Tiffany wedding band. Here is a picture of the two of them together.

The problem with this one is that I do not like the band itself, it has a sharper edge than my engagement ring and I do not like the way it looks by itself.

One of my criteria is that my wedding band looks (and feels) ok by itself, and this one just doesn't. Honestly, the channel setting one has been the only one I've seen that looked great either with the ring or without it. As for the money, it's not that it's an amount we do not have, it's just that it could be spent on furniture or stuff like that. :mrgreen:

I agree about the plain band in the picture being wide and somewhat overwhelming and also see why you might not want to wear a knife edge by itself. Am I wrong that the plain band is 3mm? I suggest the same thing but going down to 2.5mm or 2mm.

Orchid Lei

Shiny_Rock
Can you get the knife edge band to wear with your e-ring and a plain comfort fit band to wear alone?

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Also, I voted the channel band but I just think the first band is too thick for your e-ring. I would like a plain band fine if it were narrower.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted the channel set band. I like the plan band with it but I like the diamond band better.

50shadesofblack

Shiny_Rock
Oh I did not see new replies here, I am sorry! I must enable email alerts when replies are posted!

I thought about your replies and I agree that this particular plain band might not be the best solution. I will try to find something nicer. I have decided to stick to a plain band, as I explained here.

I am very grateful for all of the links and suggestions, especially the eweddingbands one! I was unfamiliar with the website and I found a band that might work there (2mm for me, 4mm for him). Also, the links for the channel set ones are savely saved as bookmarks because I would love to have one of those one day. :love: Thanks to everybody! My future husband is a little bit reluctant to spend $1000 (two platinum bands) on something we can not see first, but this certainly is an option for me and he has not dismissed it completely.

I would not consider a second hand wedding ring, though. I don't mind second hand jewelry but buying a wedding ring that obviously didn't bring luck to it's previous for such an important, symbolic piece of jewelry is... idk. I'd just rather not. :sick:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the plain band pictured is too thick for your ring and diamond. Just honest opinion. I really like the matching band with the ering but I hear you on wearing it by itself. I wouldn't want to do that either I guess.

I have the Tiffany channel set eternity band. I tried on many bands - some of them channel set - and never found one I liked as much as the Tiffany version. I know you can get nice quality bands with online vendors and in all fairness, I never tried to order or try one of them. The Tiffany band comes with the Tiffany premium of course but I can't tell you how pleased I am with this band. Others would probably shake their head at this and say a channel set band is a channel set band and maybe it's just my extreme pickiness over the look. For me, I was willing to pay the price for the look that I absolutely loved. Some like to feel that they got a great price on a great piece of merchandise and I love a bargain as much as the next one. For this purchase though, I was happy to fork over the money! It looks like a ribbon of diamonds and sparkles like mad at me every day and I love it now as much as I did the day I got it. Again, just another opinion or another point of view but I wanted to share my thoughts with you.

Best of luck in your search and please let us know about whichever ring you choose! Your ering is lovely - just make sure your band compliments its beauty!

50shadesofblack

Shiny_Rock
MissGotRocks|1322782992|3072567 said:
Your ering is lovely - just make sure your band compliments its beauty!
Thank you for your reply!

I completely understand what you mean by choosing to pay for Tiffany. I understand people here are usually hooked on diamonds, not the settings, but we chose Tiffany because of the setting. I fell in love with it online and did not want to go see it in real life because I thought it would be too much out of our price range. Every jewelry store we walked into offered us "the Tiffany setting style" (I asked for a RB solitaire) and I didn't like them at all. I didn't like the knife edge, I hated the big, tall and prominent prongs they had. I didn't even want to go to Tiffany's to see it in real life (as I was sure I would dislike it) but then we were in front of the store (in our shopping mall) and said, what the hell.... let's see it. And I fell in love with the setting. The diamonds at Tiffany sparkled more than anything we saw anywhere else, too. :D So we went down from our planned cca 3/4 to cca 1/2 and got it. :love:

That first time in the store, we saw and loved the channel set. I went through your threads to see your rings - they're lovely. I was looking at a slightly thinner band, around 1/2 ttc. It's available as a backup option, but, my first choice next time I am in the store is to see these:

1. Lucida wedding band (2mm) --- My fiancee has chosen Lucida wedding band (4mm), so it's matching pair is my first choice to try on. I have already tried on the 3mm one, but it was too thick.
  2. Tiffany Bezet band ring
  3. Round band ring

This would be the budget friendly option: comfort-fit domed platinum band in widths 2mm and 4mm. I saw on the website that there is a return policy so I figured we could at least try them out?

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Get the Tiffany half eternity diamond channel set band. You posted you can afford it, you don't want to change or upgrade your set, it matches your ring beautifully and looks great alone, so why not?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes! That seems like the way to go! Keep us posted what you decide.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I have the same e-ring setting, though my stone is a bit smaller than yours, and I had the same dilemma when shopping for a wedding band. Most of the plain Tiffany bands looked wrong with the knife-edge setting, including the "matching" band. The third one you linked, the 1.7 mm round band, looked by FAR the best when i tried them all on, and I am still in the market for a similar one to stack with my set (I ended up getting a diamond eternity in the end). That would definitely be my recommendation if you strongly prefer a plain band.

50shadesofblack

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, ladies, for your opinions! I really appreciate it. My mother is rooting for the diamond wedding band too even though she was shocked when I told her we liked that one. "Diamonds on the band?! Nonsense!" :roll: :D

Octavia, special thanks go to you. I am really happy there is/was somebody else with my predicament. :mrgreen: My strong preference is for a diamondless band because I wanted a band I could wear anywhere without any worries. Buuuuuut.... I saw some people got plain silver bands for trips and stuff which I hadn't considered so far really...

I have a question for you diamond ladies. What happens with my diamond band if I need it downsized or made bigger? (Upsized? How does one say that?) If I gain/lose weight will I need adjusting it? Can it be cut and a diamond taken out of the channel set or put into it?

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Ivana, that's one reason I didn't get my wedding band from Tiffany. I didnt want a half-eternity but I wanted the possibility of resizing if needed, so I had Brian Gavin Diamonds make me a 3/4 eternity in the style of Tiffany's Alternating Jazz band (I also changed the proportions of the diamonds in the band a bit). I don't think there's much of an option if you buy a diamond band from Tiffany, as they sell only a half-eternity which can be resized or a full eternity which can't, to the best of my knowledge. You could ask the salesperson just in case it's possible for the particular style you're looking at, though.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Octavia|1323847224|3081317 said:
Ivana, that's one reason I didn't get my wedding band from Tiffany. I didnt want a half-eternity but I wanted the possibility of resizing if needed, so I had Brian Gavin Diamonds make me a 3/4 eternity in the style of Tiffany's Alternating Jazz band (I also changed the proportions of the diamonds in the band a bit). I don't think there's much of an option if you buy a diamond band from Tiffany, as they sell only a half-eternity which can be resized or a full eternity which can't, to the best of my knowledge. You could ask the salesperson just in case it's possible for the particular style you're looking at, though.

Yea, I don't think Tiffany does any customizing.

50shadesofblack

Shiny_Rock
Octavia, is that round platinum ring like this one here?

I saw this in my country and I liked it, but nobody works with platinum over here because they can't melt it.

Marquise3.JPG

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that the plain band in the photo is a little too wide for your engagement ring and overwhelms it - I think a thinner high domed or knife-edge band would sit better with your engagement ring and create a very elegant look.I love the look of the diamond band with your ering and I don't think it takes away from your ering - but I never recommend buying anything somone cannot afford. Maybe you could wait to get a full eternity diamond band to celebrate an anniversary in the future - and you can then wear all 3 together :D

Just my 2 cents :))

ditto this.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Ivana|1323894459|3081594 said:
Octavia, is that round platinum ring like this one here?

I saw this in my country and I liked it, but nobody works with platinum over here because they can't melt it.

Yes, I remember the proportions being very similar to that. I know e-weddingbands also does a skinny version of their comfort-fit band which is a lot more affordable, but it is 1.5 mm and it might actually be a little too thin, IMO (http://www.e-weddingbands.com/store/product168156.html). But I remember other PSers saying that e-wb has been willing to customize the width in the past, so it might be worth getting in touch with them to see if they could do a 1.7 or 1.8 mm band for you, if you like that look. Also, have you checked etsy? There are some wonderful metalsmiths there who take custom orders and ship worldwide. I'll see if I can find some names for you to check out.

50shadesofblack

Shiny_Rock
I've been reading the Updated Celebrity Ring thread and I found a picture of Marcia Cross' & her husband's rings.

I think this is perfection. :love:

MarciaCrossRings.jpeg

mrswahs

Shiny_Rock
As others said, if you want a channel set eternity band, you can get one MUCH cheaper than that Tiffany's band.

I tried one on at Tiffany's that was $3.5k, probably that exact one, and then bought one with the same specs at our local jeweler for $1.4k. I could have probably saved even more doing it online. I ended up returning the band and getting a plain one since my e-ring setting is channel set and I wanted something different. But the ring that I bought was just as nice as the Tiffany's. If you like that look, you should get it! Just not the Tiffany's one ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results