Phoenix ring design

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
BTW who is Mike?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
innerkitten said:
BTW who is Mike?

Hi IK - Mike Robinson is one of the three jewellers that make up Robinson Designer Goldsmith in NZ (RDG).
Mike paints designs and works the bench, he also created my OEC rose gold ring (over in smtb). hth ::)

klewis said:
Nashville - Thanks for your comments. The changes to the design have simplified it and another change has made it a little "darker".

Hey K,
I am loving seeing this design come to life, it really is going to be wearable art with such a deserving spess; and I agree with your choice of the hot pinky-red spinels 100%..infact, I think I would like some of my own :devil: ;-)
Considering the modifications you and Mike have made to the design, I think many folks may be surprised by the end product, just how suitable for a gent's ring this is...albeit, a gent that resembles Mr Depp :naughty:

Keep us updated! :wavey:

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
arjunajane said:
innerkitten said:
BTW who is Mike?

Hi IK - Mike Robinson is one of the three jewellers that make up Robinson Designer Goldsmith in NZ (RDG).
Mike paints designs and works the bench, he also created my OEC rose gold ring (over in smtb). hth ::)

klewis said:
Nashville - Thanks for your comments. The changes to the design have simplified it and another change has made it a little "darker".

Hey K,
I am loving seeing this design come to life, it really is going to be wearable art with such a deserving spess; and I agree with your choice of the hot pinky-red spinels 100%..infact, I think I would like some of my own :devil: ;-)
Considering the modifications you and Mike have made to the design, I think many folks may be surprised by the end product, just how suitable for a gent's ring this is...albeit, a gent that resembles Mr Depp :naughty:

Keep us updated! :wavey:

Glad you like it -

SO wrapped up for a winters walk -but what's he carrying? (posted with permission)

OK back to gems now.

DSC02692_2.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Very exciting new addition to this thread; I am loving the process photos!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
klewis said:
SO wrapped up for a winters walk -but what's he carrying? (posted with permission)

OK back to gems now.

Okay, the SO can definitely rock the ring. It all makes sense to me now.

And I can't decide if I am more in love with the gorgeous tail feather (even without the spinel!) or the teensy-weensy beak. It's going to be a work of art for sure.

Zzz

Rough_Rock
Trade
couldn't help grinning when I saw the 'beak'. i hope you'll be able to share the video!
can't wait to see the completed ring - it'll be amazing!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Zzz said:
couldn't help grinning when I saw the 'beak'. i hope you'll be able to share the video!

I'm intrigued with the little pecker, me self!! :naughty:

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
mochi said:
Zzz said:

I'm intrigued with the little pecker, me self!! :naughty:

:lol: :twisted: That made me snort... :bigsmile:

I can hardly wait to see this ring project unfold! :appl:

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
While I'm so enjoying watching the process, I really can't wait for this piece to be finished! It seems like it's going to truly be unique and an absolute show-stopper.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone - your interest is really appreciated.

Zzz - the beak pic was kind of tongue-in-cheek but I thought interesting to show the scale.
Mochi - :shock:
LTP _ thanks - I hope I can link to the video - will have to check with the Mods as there are rules that may preclude me from adding the link. Sorry, I know my posting of this project has dragged on for a while, but I'll get back with an update as soon as the ring is finished

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Well, here it is.

For those of the less-is-best view -to which I adhere myself at times, look away now or run as fast as you can! Just kidding- but I know this ring will only appeal to some.

We made an alteration to the first design. The white clouds from the first version are now dark clouds with a silver lining. At present they are very evenly dark -they are a darkened silver plate over gold - the dark colour will wear and lighten in places. We thought the dark would make for a stronger contrast, accentuate the brightness of the spessartite and add visual strength to the overall design. Also we liked the connection of a Phoenix, representing resurgence or rebirth and a Cloud with a Silver Lining, representing a negative situation producing a positive outcome - complementary themes.

The bird's body has changed too and it is now without the stones as originally drawn - thanks Yingh for that suggestion, and although we liked the colour of the original tail feather stones and also Yingh's suggestion to use green instead, those colour combinations just really don't suit the wearer and we decided to keep the colours in the warm tones as Sleepy Spinel suggested and used pinkish red spinels, the wings have o orange and yellow sapphires

We think the stone is still the star of the piece, it has great clarity & crystal which really allows the stone to show off its dispersion and liveliness. Actually I got an email from Mike soon after he started work on the ring and he had just made the under-bezel and he told me that he had never seen a stone come to life once on sitting on the under-bezel, the way this did. It's a 6.3ct Nigerian spessartite and it's an awesome colour - and although there actually is no brown and a hint of yellow, it usually photographs showing brown, something I'm sure other owners of spessartite will have experienced.

There are also some making-of pics which Mike has kindly taken and are really interesting, and I'll post them once Mike has finished adding comments to them.

This ring is big and bold but looks really good being worn. My own style is quite plain but I would (if I could) wear this. The detail is fascinating to study up close, but also from further away the ring looks incredible.

Thanks of course to the very addictive RDG. Such wonderful service and their taxi driver is pleasant too!

rdgph1.jpg

rdgph2.jpg

rdgph3.jpg

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
the underside

63.jpg

80.jpg

DSC02776.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
That literally took my breath away. It's a work of art! Beautiful, the metal work complements the beautiful cut gemstones. Just spectacular!!

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Totally, absolutely, fascinatingly breathtaking!

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
last couple for now.

DSC02788.jpg

DSC02792.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
:shock: :shock:

Wow!

I gasped! That is STUNNING!

Wow!

Excellent! :appl:

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
What an awesome, imaginative piece!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
SOOOOOdifferent in 3 dimensions than I had imagined and soooo better for it! quite amazing really. I need lots more pictures as well and also of the making, w hen you think you've uploaded enough put that many more again up.
wow :appl:

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Omg, that is amazing! That is seriously one of the coolest and most unique pieces of jewelry I have ever seen! I love the colors and the design is fabulous! :love:

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Klewis, I just went back through your thread. It's so interesting to see how this piece came together. It truly is a work of art and I hope your SO loves it. The color of your spess alone makes me drool!

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
That is a FABULOUS ring! Seriously a work of art!!!! The detail is truly great! I wish I was a man so I could wear it! I knew it was going to be wonderful, but never dreamed how much so!!!!! :appl:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
a real piece of art! congrats!

MoZo

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Wow, the details are amazing and I love the colour scheme. My favourite bits are the phoneix tails and the clouds. I also lov the underside, and of cause that gorgeous Spess! :love:

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
KLewis,

The ring is ABSOLUTELY STUNNING! I am so glad you decided to go with pink-red spinel to keep with the fire theme. The stone still is the star of the piece yet there are so many fine details of the ring from the stark and dramatic contrast of the dark clouds with silver lining to the firey/molten heat of the phoenix being reborn, really quite powerful imagery :appl: I like the way the phoenix is "holding" the stone, which could also be interpreted as not the fire of rebirth but a firey egg that she is protecting :sun: Thanks so much for the multi aspect shots, I very much look forward to any hand shots when you get the chance! Congrats to you and your partner on getting such a fantastic set of rings. I only wish the jeweler was in the US and I'd be saving up my pennies for one of these wearable sculptures! :naughty:

-SS

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Klewis: Wow! Your ring is spectacular and a work of art. It looks even better than the inital drawing. It really shows off the center spess. I like all the changes you made, the pink, orange, yellow color scheme of the accent stones and the black clouds instead of the white. I also like the imagery of the pheonix rising from the black clouds. RDG does amazing work. Your SO must be very pleased.

AN

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely stunning. What a glorious ring! I love all the little details, and how they work together to tell a story. And, as much as I love the tailfeathers and beak, my absolute favorite part of the ring (aside from the spess) is the flames/sun on the inside of the ring under the stone.

Just amazing and magical.

Hand shots?

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
This is my favorite ring EVER to be seen on PS!!!!

delayedreaction

Shiny_Rock
Amazing ring, talk about creating a signature piece! I really like the switch to the oxidized clouds, and the overall finished piece is a showstopper. I don't suppose they take on US based clients? Not that I have anything to set or any money right now anyway with the holidays coming up :rolleyes:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
:-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o
:love:

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
What a stunning and meaningful work of art. Well done! I will come back to these pictures again and again. A work after my own heart.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results