shape
carat
color
clarity

Phoenix ring design

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve hemmed and hawed over what to say about this piece for a couple of days now. I think the stone is way too nice for the beautiful elaborate ring. Don''t get me wrong, the design is beautiful and if well executed would make for an extraordinary ring by itself. But that stone would lose all presence in the design.

If you do decide to use the spess, I think you would need a faint lavender for the purple stones in the picture. A dark purple will draw even more attention away from the spess. I would ditch the stones in the belly of the bird as well, they tend to add more visual weight to the bird when it doesn''t need it and may irritate the finger next to it because of placement.

Like others have suggested maybe even a green would work. A nice crisp mint color would play up the firey goodness of the spess while subduing the rest of the peice. Or, to keep it all closer together on the color wheel and really add a hot warmth to the piece more spess''s. Really set the pheonix on fire!

By the by, what size would it be? I''m suspecting it would need to be at least a 10 to have the right amount of detail and proportions.

I''m in a boat similar to yours, where as, I''m trying to come up with a design and stone for my SO while not going all Liberace or Tony Soprano on it. It''s very difficult.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Jstarfieb - Oh yes he does really like the design so he would wear it BUT he also wants a huge fishpond in the garden and is deciding between the fishpond and the ring. We live on the riverside, so I''m saying "we already have a huge fishpond, go for the ring, go for the ring!

Cehrabehra - It''s interesting to know the Phoenix is Yin

Chrono - Thanks for your comments. At first I hestitated in posting this design but I''ve really found all the opinions interesting and helpful. I''m going to try a get a pic with the spessartite on the drawing.

smitcompton - I had this half crazy idea of setting some stones into a brooch design that resembled a set of medals. A brooch for men?

Yingh - I like your idea of the green , but the wearer is not into green at all.

MZ - Pleased you like the design - it will not be my decision as the outcome, but I have some influence. Cleaned that Spess yet?

SS - I''m not sure what the ring size should be. Your suggestion to have ruby/spinel and keep the colours in that range would definitely work for SO - thanks

Oddoneout - Thanks!

DEM - You know the elaborate design really does suit the wearer who really likes the design but the points about the design possibly overpowering the stone are a consideration. I''m trying to put my photo of the spessartite on the drawing to get a better idea of how it might look.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Well the stone now looks quite brown!
Anyway I thought this might be interesting to better see the contrast in colours. I thought to change the purple but decided that was altering the image too much without permission.

KLEWIS Edited.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Very intricate design, now if only it''s a bangle with a gigantic spess garnet...
27.gif

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
What an exciting design! Definitely one of a kind - it''ll be the ultimate fantasy ring.
2.gif

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Oh please don''t feel like I was attacking the design, it''s fantastic, never could I have come up with something that alive made out of metal. I should have hemmed and hawed a tad longer, I don''t think the post came out right.
32.gif

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/23/2010 6:23:12 AM
Author: davi_el_mejor
Oh please don''t feel like I was attacking the design, it''s fantastic, never could I have come up with something that alive made out of metal. I should have hemmed and hawed a tad longer, I don''t think the post came out right.
32.gif

I didn''t take your post that way at all
1.gif

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
ok good
1.gif
whhheeew it's just hard to interpret tone through text. You've lit a fire for me to get a ring made for the SO, who is I believe on the opposite spectrum of your's
2.gif

Zzz

Rough_Rock
Trade
the ring design is lovely!

(i remember reading somewhere that the persian phoenix is female too)

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for your comments, opinions and advise, I appreciate it. In the last few days I have been talking to Mike and I''ll let you know what eventuates.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
I thought you might want to know what happened about this proposed Phoenix ring. Well it is being made with some alterations to the original design which I'll tell you about when the ring is finished in just a couple of weeks time!
RDG, the jewelers who made my tourmaline ring and also Arjunjane's lovely ring (that thread is on SMTB), are making this one too.

This weekend Mike couriered some sapphires and some spinels for consideration as stones in the tail feathers. I actually dropped this box of loveys - the box popped open and all 12 tiny stones vanished and all I was looking at was an empty box and a vast carpet where these stones were hiding. Miraculously I found every one of them and I've confessed to Mike but I can't wait to send them back tomorrow.
I've included this out of focus pic because it really shows the stone's colours better than the in focus pic does

DSC02751.jpg

DSC02749.jpg

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
And this is a sneak preview at a couple of the individual pieces

one of the tail feathers.
and the beak of the Phoenix - I know it's not anything to get excited over on its own but it shows the fine work involved.

Mike is making a short video as he's making this ring - don't know if I'll be able to show that here - Anyway, more pics to come in a few weeks.

photo 1_3.jpg

photo 3_2_2.jpg

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
I am in absolute awe of this project! It's going to be gorgeous.

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Very unique and flamboyant design. Looks like a ring that Liberace would have worn. Would make a nice bracelet or brooch too. Looking foward to seeing the final version of this one of a kind designer ring.

AN

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
I love it. But then I love Liberace :cheeky: I can't wait to see the finished piece! And what a spectacular stone.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh that one tail feather alone is stunning! I can't wait to see this ring completed!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Very nice work. Are you going with the sapphires or the spinels?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First of all - I do not view it as "flamboyant". My view is simple: things are either beatiful or not. I think this ring is beautiful. The only question is whether your SO will like it - but austere style goes very well with one or two lavish spots; think Angelina Jolie in simple black dress and gorgeous emeralds.
Many designers combine different stones; there is a company, Beaujoux Extraordinaire, which does great job combining several bold bright stones and their jewelry looks fabulous! Actually, I am totally for it.
I think "unisex" jewelry is the style of the future, and I hope your SO likes it.
And the stone is fantastic!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looking forward to how this project turns out Klewis! I'm glad you updated!

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Nashville - Thanks for your comments. The changes to the design have simplified it and another change has made it a little "darker"
Hi Art Nouveau - Liberace - I can see the connection with this design :???: but the wearer is less Liberace and more Johnny Depp :naughty:
Thanks Porridge, MTG, LD & Packrat - LD we're going for the Spinels.
Crasu. You have hit the nail on the head - SO looks great, has a very simple style and is able to wear something this "big".

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
I am more excited to see this ring than anything I have seen (outside of my jadeite/pearl pendant :naughty: ) on this forum! The delicate gold work looks absolutely gorgeous!!!! I can't WAIT to see pictures!!!!

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
I can totally see a Johnny Depp type wearing this. I'm imagining a guy who is austere in a way that is sensual and somewhat eccentric... in a good way, obviously!

The details on the tail feather look amazing, and that spess is yowza.

I prefer the warm firey red of the spinels to the purply magenta of the sapphires. I think the latter might clash with the spess.

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think that anyone would have told someone like rene lalique that the stones in his elaborate designs were too good for the jewelry he was creating - with a ring like this, the stone has to be seen as an element of the whole piece.

I happen to like the design and I find it to be refreshing compared to many derived and constantly repeated designs. I understand that the stone is not necessarily the "focal point," but the entire ring will be a statement!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
After your last post I am now looking forward to pics of both the ring and your SO :naughty:

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Soberguy, thanks - I can't wait to see more pictures too and I'm sure if I begged, Mike would send more pics but actually I'm fine with waiting too.

Velourial - yes we have given so much thought to the colour of these tail feather stones. We had viewed the sapphires in RDG's store when we delivered the spessartite and together with the orange of the spess, the bright pink sapphires added a tropical feel but we decided the spinels were more fiery.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Sphenequeen - Some thought the stone would get lost in the setting and it was something I too had considered at the beginning so I understand that point of view but I have no concerns about it now. Thanks for your comments and appreciation of the design. :))

Porridge - Now there's a challenge, I'll see what I can do once the ring's done.

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
P.S
LOVE the spinel idea!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I love it. I think it will be a work of art.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
OMG look at that teeny tail feather! So cool.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I missed the original design post...but am surely enjoying watching this lovely design unfold. I think it will be a stunning and unique design and can't wait to see the final results. Amazing!

Laura

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results