shape
carat
color
clarity

Philosophic question about diamond advertising

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm getting frustrated, I don't like press releases with buzz words give me details!

langchunWei I'm not trying to be mean too you I tell everyone that at times!
I think you will find a lot of people are that way here.
From what you have posted here I cant tell if you have something or we are just playing a game of buzz word bingo and that frustrates me because I want too know more about it.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/28/2008 12:17:15 PM
Author: langchunWei

My Research Achievements

My research achievements mainly contain three subjects.
¢ñ Subject on Scientific Theory, Continuous Functions and Theoretical Database for Cutting
I have established a scientific cutting theory. By applying this theory to studying the raw materials¡¯ cutting, we can determine various cutting shapes and continuous functions, for example, those for cutting the shapes as round, oval, drop-shaped, olivary, egg-shaped, emerald-shaped and so on. We also can work out some new cutting shapes such as ball-shaped facet. Several years ago, I attained a research achievement on ball-shaped facet by means of manual calculation and then got two vitreous facets with beautiful color. I named it as Eight-Trigrams Ball Facet. This is a scientific example proved by facts.

Two "virtual" vitreous facets? Or in practice?

¢¡ Scientific Theory on Cutting
My success on round facet and on ball-shaped facet(eight-trigrams ball facet) are two achievements with significance of scientific factual proof. They prove that the cutting theory that I have established is a scientific theory.
To be simple, my cutting theory can study and solve the difficult problem on cutting shapes and cutting equations which has not been solved for a century.

¢¢ Continuous Functions on Cutting
First of all, please look at the first appendix which is a color picture of three-dimensional coordinates composed of Table Proportion, Crown Angle and Pavilion Angle. The cutting equation for round shapes is a continuous function on the three-dimensional coordinates. OctoNus thinks that there should be a continuous function, but nobody has got it. So, should the continuous function for round facets be a curved surface body? Or a curved surface? Traditional experiential database makes efforts towards these two directions all the time. However, my research achievements have proved that continuous functions should neither be a curved surface body nor a curved surface. It is just a curve.
Compared with my research achievements, the traditional database is so disordered, awful and inaccurate. Actually, people waste time again to devote so much time and money to the traditional database.

¢£ Theoretical Database on Cutting
Jasper Paulsen said, ¡°In the real world, extremely well cut diamonds are rare. Of course, it is almost impossible to make every diamond match just a single set of parameters. (www.FOLDS.net)¡± I have a totally opposite argument, ¡±In real word, every diamond raw material should have an excellent set of parameters only belong to itself. People completely can and should endeavor to establish this kind of single parameters for every diamond raw material in advance.¡± There is another sentence, ¡°We have already been able to establish that quite excellent single set of parameters for round-facet cutting, no matter symmetrical or non-symmetrical.¡±
As to the theoretical database for cutting round facets, I can declare again that you should make sure all the details for validating by yourself. You can determine several things, such as glass, data, equipments, technicians, time, places, lamp-houses, cameras, etc. We can satisfy and work in all your validating work so long as you sincerely want cooperation rather than thieving our information.

¢ò Subject on Intelligent Product-line and Intelligent Manufacturing
3D Computer Model has existed for 40 years, but it still stay in comparing the difference between human-eyes¡¯ detecting range and computer testing results. That is a disappointing result. Computer¡¯s brain has an omission where there is no theoretical theory for cutting. Thus, this 3D Computer Model has no reasoning and study abilities, and it can also has no thinking ability in continuous functions and cutting shapes.
If we put my cutting theory into computer¡¯s ¡°brain¡±, it can make the computer deal with scientific reasoning and study. That means computers can be totally intelligent. Intelligent Product-line and Intelligent Manufacturing which I have desired for a long time can both be realized.

¢ó Subject on Studying Cutting Quality Standard in Terms of Theoretical Research
I have introduced a pure theoretical concept, namely ¡°two ultimate standards¡±. Of course, I will call for purely theoretical reasoning and study. From of old, people studied cutting quality on facets all the times in experiential and summarizing ways which are typical tentative modes. GIA made 70,000 observations on 2300 diamonds¡¯ cut facets and established a grades standard system. It was such an example of typical tentative mode. Coincidently, these 3D Computer Model for observation once brought about two debates and (reputedly) GIA will spent 70 million US dollars in studying a better 3D Computer Model .
Certainly, the debates and the re-development of observation devices will not stop unless solving problems in pure theoretical study. The ultimate scientific goals people should pursue are ultimate and scientific research achievements attained in pure theoretical study.

Appendix (2 in total)
1. Graph from an essay named Analysis on Cutting of Bright Round Diamond, written by GIA¡¯S Doctor James E. Shigley

2. Graph from OctoNus¡¯ long thesis

langchun wei
CEO

Haikou zuan cheng Technology Company Ltd.
Add: tower1, No.41 chengxi Road, Haikou , Hainan province, China
Tel: +86 0898-66961686,
Fax: +86 0898-66742480
Email: [email protected],

It does sound like an ear-opener..., any actual cutting done based on your theory and facts?
And if yes..., was it proved (to you) as successful?

langchunWei

Rough_Rock
Prospect for Technology on Computers with Theory

If my technology on ¡°computers with theory¡± can be pushed into the market, my intelligent product-line can bring a revolutionary change to cutting industry.

1. The best color quality of facet, the greatest carat weight, the least waste of single raw material and the highest value of facet.
2. The situation in which ten thousand technicians cut 1.5 million facets per year will change revolutionarily. People do not need ten thousand technicians any longer. Instead, 500 middle school students who know how to operate computers can cut as many as 1.5 million facets in a year. Moreover, these facets will have the best quality and greatest carat weight. You can theoretical prove these by applying continuous functions for cutting.
3. The scientific theory for cutting will definitely unify so many cutting processing rules systems and grades standard systems, for empiricism has been replaced by science.
4. There is no reason to continue artificial divisions among the cutting of 0.01 carat diamonds, small diamonds, large diamond and extremely large diamonds. The biggest four diamond cutting centers have no reason to exist, either. In particular, the special situation for cutting extremely large diamonds will no longer exist.
5. Various new cutting shapes and cutting theoretical database such as Eight-Trigrams Ball Facet will be established one after another.
6. precious stone cutting industry and man-made precious stone cutting industry will bring in the cutting method of ¡°computers with theory¡± and make some revolutions as well.

langchun wei
CEO

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/29/2008 11:36:14 PM

Prospect for Technology on Computers with Theory

If my technology on ¡°computers with theory¡± can be pushed into the market, my intelligent product-line can bring a revolutionary change to cutting industry.

1. The best color quality of facet, the greatest carat weight, the least waste of single raw material and the highest value of facet.
2. The situation in which ten thousand technicians cut 1.5 million facets per year will change revolutionarily. People do not need ten thousand technicians any longer. Instead, 500 middle school students who know how to operate computers can cut as many as 1.5 million facets in a year. Moreover, these facets will have the best quality and greatest carat weight. You can theoretical prove these by applying continuous functions for cutting.
3. The scientific theory for cutting will definitely unify so many cutting processing rules systems and grades standard systems, for empiricism has been replaced by science.
4. There is no reason to continue artificial divisions among the cutting of 0.01 carat diamonds, small diamonds, large diamond and extremely large diamonds. The biggest four diamond cutting centers have no reason to exist, either. In particular, the special situation for cutting extremely large diamonds will no longer exist.
5. Various new cutting shapes and cutting theoretical database such as Eight-Trigrams Ball Facet will be established one after another.
6. precious stone cutting industry and man-made precious stone cutting industry will bring in the cutting method of ¡°computers with theory¡± and make some revolutions as well.

langchun wei
CEO

Dear LW,
This man had a good idea http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubik''s_Cube and took a lot of effort to bring it to market.
I think he had to do most of it himself. If you are looking for partners to bring your ideas to market then you might need to share a little more.
Perhaps you already have the solutions. But it is probably a waste of further time discussing it with you as your reply is like a joined lop of tape in a recorder.

I am sure if some venture capitol wishes to email you and sign a non disclousre document that we should see the product in good time.
In the meanwhile i wish you and everyone trying to develop the future for diamonds the best of luck and good fortune

langchunWei

Rough_Rock
OctoNus¡¯ High Technology

First of all, please have a look at the literal and picture information in appendix.
We may have a first impression of high-tech such as digital technology on comics, 3D Computer Model and so on. Nevertheless, I have to point out that these high technologies are not achievements of scientific theory and continuous functions for cutting. In the treatise, OctoNus has not mentioned these two subjects from start to finish. Actually, they are two ancient subjects. During the tough history of working on cutting data, people have been in pursuit of scientific theory and continuous functions for cutting from 1880 to 2008. Continuous functions for cutting determine theoretical database, and cutting theory determines the best cutting shapes and continuous functions. OctoNus thought continuous functions existed, but it¡¯s strange that OctoNus did not finish this research.
It is long time people apply high-tech -- Digital Technology, 3D Computer Model, the Interactive Ray-tracing, etc. -- as a tool to studying several issues, for example, scientific theory and continuous functions for cutting. In early 1970, a pioneer set up a study on 3D Computer Model. Mr. Sergey Sivovolenko in OctoNus and Mr. Yuri Shelementiev in MSU have made significant efforts on studying 3D Computer Model. But there are some divergences with GIA¡¯s research and it caused two debates between East and West, involving many famous experts. GIA then prepared 70 million US dollars for working out better 3D Computer Models, which was caused by the debated.
In these two debates, there was a fact we should pay attention to: OctoNus did not attain either any continuous functions or scientific theory for cutting. Neither did GIA. 3D Computer Model just caused two debates for the two sides. The direct reason was interests. The two declared their own grades standards better in order to occupy bigger market and more interests.
If GIA and OctoNus could determine the best cutting shapes, continuous functions and theoretical database for cutting, they would not debate; instead, their treatises would be different. They would discuss -scientific subjects and actual goals directly, not just stating the high-tech. Science is earthy and what scientists pursue is practicality. Discussing scientific theory and continuous functions for cutting is the most practical scientific subject which has been desired by human beings for a hundred years. It is also an actual goal with the highest theoretical value and commercial value for today¡¯s gem cutting industry.
Although an treatise had thousands pages of articles with gorgeous words, beautiful pictures with several hundred thousand words and various high technologies, there was no sentence of scientific theory and continuous functions for cutting. Didn¡¯t OctoNus and GIA deviate from the scientific subject? Didn¡¯t they deviate from actual goals? Why didn¡¯t they utilize high-tech to directly study scientific theory and continuous functions for cutting rather than to cover up flaws of the disabled semi-science? What surprised us more was that OctoNus spent thousands of US dollars in holding a competition on bright cutting when it has already been deviated from scientific subjects and actual goals. Therefore, I¡¯m willing to take part in this competition, discussing the subjects on scientific theory and continuous functions for cutting with OctoNus. I¡¯m willing to have a cooperative research with OctoNus on scientific subjects and actual goals to reach greater achievements for both. Garry Holloway in HCA once advised me to cooperate with OctoNus, but the latter did not give me any reply. If GIA, OctoNus, other volunteers and I can work together to study the key subjects as scientific theory and continuous functions for cutting and make efforts for our common interest rather than any single interest, cutting industry can walk into the intelligent era and realize intelligent manufacturing much earlier.
In conclusion, We have three main subjects to discuss clearly: 1) scientific theory for cutting; 2) continuous functions for cutting; 3) theoretical database for cutting. To understand the thematic contents, we should unpack the cover beyond themes and directly see clearly the flaws of experiential database, keeping scientific judgment without being confused.
It has already proved the issues that 3D Computer Model has not got any progress on scientific theory and continuous functions for cutting for 40 years. I will discuss this in My Research Achievements.
The foremost goal for utilizing digital technology is just to attain scientific achievements on scientific theory, continuous functions and theoretical database for cutting. That¡¯s my conclusion.
Appendix (4 in total):
1. Title of the essay published by OctoNus in April, 2004
IDCC-I: Diamond Cut Grading System based on 3D model. A Strategy for Development. S.B. Sivovolenko, Yu.B. Shelementyev, April 2004
IDCC-I: The Stages of Development and Implementation of a Diamond Cut Grading System. S.B. Sivovolenko, Yu.B. Shelementyev, April 2004
IDCC-I: Poster Session, April 2004
2. Invitation for OctoNus¡¯ round bright cutting competition
OctoNus brilliance beauty research: test with real diamonds

3. Static comics pictures for OctoNus¡¯ Round Cutting Grades System on basis of 3D Computer Model

4. Links for OctoNus¡¯ dynamic comics films
http://www.cutstudy.com/cut/english/dc/index2.htm

langchunWei

Rough_Rock
OctoNus
Movies with varying crown and pavilion angles.

langchunwei103.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
langchunWei,

With all do respect.
A lot of the information your quoting is 4 years old and there has been a lot of progress since them.
ETAS and the start of the MSS cutting too confirm what ETAS is showing are 2 of the big ones.

Both GIA and AGS have cut databases available as the cutting guidelines for cutters.
A database is nothing but an organised data store with relationships to make searching easier.
Feed garbage into a database and you get garbage out.

What your using as input for your database is what I''m interested in, scientific formula isn''t an answer.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/6/2008 1:04:39 AM
Author: strmrdr
langchunWei,

With all do respect.
A lot of the information your quoting is 4 years old and there has been a lot of progress since them.
ETAS and the start of the MSS cutting too confirm what ETAS is showing are 2 of the big ones.

Both GIA and AGS have cut databases available as the cutting guidelines for cutters.
A database is nothing but an organised data store with relationships to make searching easier.

What your using as input for your database is what I''m interested in, scientific formula isn''t an answer.
Storm there has not been a lot of advance since 2004 from OctoNus side because the Master Stone Study we planned to do was to be supported by HRD''s research division (WTOCD) but the arrangement never got past their legal dept and our commonsense.

We have now made a small collection of a dozen Master Stones which can be seen here http://www.octonus.com/oct/mss/table.phtml
And are in my safe waiting for the next step in our busy lives.

One outcome of that study will be a matching human preception to software or any other system or method anyone wishes to devise. Unlike GIA, we will make these master stones and much of the information available to any organization (at some cost) who wishes to use them (when we are not).

langchunWei you may scoff at such mundane and boring work, but until you tell us some real information and not jsut bore us with long R''V''S type posts that probably take you a long time to create, we will continue living our boring lives like ants building nests before the rain comes.

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade

GIA Certifigate: Phase Two

The two-day Plumb Club Forum, held earlier this week in New York, was one of the most remarkable industry events I have attended in many years. If there was one compelling message, one common denominator gluing all the presentations together, it was that trust, integrity, transparency, good governance, honesty, accountability and fairness have become the essential imperatives of diamond jewelry business conduct in general – and of relations to the consumer in particular. To the

manufacturers and retailers who attended the Forum, this is both axiomatic and self-evident, as is the realization that in the absence of these imperatives, there would be no justification to stay, nor any chance to succeed, in this luxury product business.

The conference, entitled “The Changing Landscape of the Jewelry Industry”, was a meeting of minds of prominent, optimistic and forward-looking people, profoundly believing in our industry’s future. In this memo, I don’t want to review the various presentations, but, rather, I want to convey the “feel good” sentiments that the whole conference exuded. It was a happy event, a celebration of the promise of tomorrow.

Looking out from the podium, I wondered if these jewelry executives in the audience had a contingency plan on how to act if, a few years down the road in the coming recession, some consumers wanted to sell some of their diamonds in order to improve their households’ cash flow, only to find out that their grading reports had overstated reality, and that the color grade was lower, or that the natural stone was really treated. Who would be liable? Who would pay? What would the salesperson tell the customer? Would one or more reported case trigger an avalanche of more people either selling or checking their certificates?

Consumer Backlash?
Is this a likely event? There are those who are counting for such scenario never to happen and who are suggesting that people like me and my U.S. colleague Rob Bates should simply shut up and drop the issue. “You are destroying us,” was one of the less kind comments. One can’t help but wonder whether those who would rather forget the possibly thousands or tens of thousands of fraudulent certificates that could be out there can reconcile these thoughts with all the ethical fundamentals espoused at the Plumb Club Forum.

To me, this week presented a new turning point. When I was in New York, I verified that the FBI agent [whose last name is similar to that of the GIA investigative counsel, but there is no relationship] had been taken off the job about six months after the GIA settled the Pincione lawsuit. Though a few days ago I still believed that the U.S. Federal Attorney, Harry A. Chernoff, had not fully closed the case, today I know that he has, in fact, closed it. The Grand Jury went home a long time ago. As one ex-prosecutor, who knows Chernoff, says: “Compared to the enormous serious money laundering and narcotics cases currently being investigated, the GIA Certifigate scandal is only of marginal government interest. So what if someone over-paid for his diamonds.”

Thus, what could possibly be the largest (and probably the longest) consumer fraud ever perpetrated in the diamond business may yet go unpunished, as if nothing happened. Forget about the micro-picture -- on a personal level, businesses got hurt. People went bankrupt. Families were destroyed. If this sounds dramatic, we can write books full of true anecdotes.

We see that the alleged misconduct has been going on for almost two decades – as far as we can document it. While walking in the corridors of the Plumb Club Forum, one merchant recalled that almost 15 years ago a female GIA grader was “marketing her upgrade services” in the office of a diamond company (S., which has since moved from 5th Avenue to India). For a basic bribing down-payment (signing-on payment) of $7,000-$9,000 one could secure continuous upgrade services on stones in the one- to three-carat range. One of those to whom the services were offered informed the GIA. Instead of appreciating the tip, lab members retaliated against the informer. That may be a minor incident in a long-forgotten past, but we believe it is relevant today.

I want to say this very clearly: we cannot say for certain that things that happened in the past are not continuing today. It isn’t over yet. When I tried to convince one of my oldest and most trusted sources on the Certifigate scandal to share his concrete information directly with GIA’s Donna Baker, Tom Moses or Ralph Destino, he declined. They have demonstrated their unwillingness to really deal with the issue, he commented sadly.

Chairman Ralph Destino truly and honestly believes that under his leadership the GIA has made incredible changes, and that the organization is totally different today than it was less than two years ago. It might puzzle the chairman that there is a genuine perception in a large part of the market that all what management is credited for having done is limiting the damage to the GIA and just covering it up. If the U.S. Attorney doesn’t return any indictments and if no trial is to take place, which is something the GIA says it cannot do anything about, market perception will still be that the GIA didn’t want anything to happen. Strangely, it may well be in the best interest of the GIA that the U.S. Attorney would indict some bribers and bribe recipients.

Some of the nastiest practitioners of these past practices are still in their jobs at the GIA. A few weeks ago, we noted the initials of partners in a business, who, over a long period of time secured fraudulent certificates. Because of an arbitration where several people were privy to details of the corrupt business relationship, the GIA was genuinely interested in going after those who corrupted its greatness and damaged its brand. Why didn’t the GIA immediately ask the relevant diamond club for further information? Why didn’t the GIA ask me for the full names so it could investigate and decide whether a letter should be sent notifying them of violating the GIA ethics codes, as was done in the past? How come after having issued a handful of letters denying the recipients’ further use of GIA facilities, more such letters haven’t been issued?

The List of the “Dirty-Two Dozen”
On the back of an envelope, based on notes and memory, I compiled a list of some 25 names, which, in my book, are proven bribers. If I could make such a list with relatively ease – and I am probably not the only one – I totally and completely cannot comprehend what either the GIA investigator Tom O’Neill or U.S. Federal Attorney Harry Chernoff have been doing. It has become clear that the industry cannot – or should not - rely either on the GIA or law enforcement to get to the bottom of this. Reluctantly, I conclude that this will become the task of the trade press. From commentators, we are now becoming investigators. It’s not the way I planned to spend my final years in journalism.

As a reporter, evidence mainly comes in anecdotes, which can be cross-checked with various parties. Let me share with you here one such anecdote that happened six or seven years ago, and dozens of people seem to be aware of it. I picked at random one name from my list whom we will refer to as P. He is on the board of one New York’s industry organizations. Another trader, called K, has a good customer in Europe to which, every month, he would sell a certain type of goods. One month he didn’t have the goods and he called his colleague P who provided him with a huge parcel of GIA certificates. K selected some 30 diamonds of one carat and up based on the certificates, and agreed on the price with P. Without ever having seen the goods, K sent the diamonds to his client in Europe.

The deal was closed with a “mazal,” which K had never broken in his life. When his client in Europe received the goods, the discrepancy between the certificate grades and the reality was blaringly blatant – off by several grades. A very upset K called his supplier, P; the latter didn’t seem upset. “Just have him send back the goods and I won’t hold you to your mazal,” P said, not at all surprised. It was only a parcel of 30 stones in the one- to three-carat range.

It would be nasty if I were to go public with just one anecdote. So here’s another one: it involved the sale of a pair of three-carat pear-shaped stones to a private individual. A dealer, also a K, offered a price but the private (non-trade) customer was surprised and upset. He had just bought a similar stone with identical certificate parameters at 25 percent less. K asked to see the other stone and the certificate and compared them to each other. The certificate said H color, though in fact the color was below K, which represents a huge price differential. The seller of this stone was obviously happy to get rid of it to a private [non-trade] client. That seller was P.

Investigators for U.S. Attorney Harry Chernoff know how to investigate and interrogate. They know how to subpoena. They know how to take testimony. Forgive me if I’m naïve, but I believe that the huge majority of our industry is of the same kind as the jewelers attending the Plumb Club Forum. Some misplaced sense of loyalties, partly ethnic and religious based, may prevent people from actually coming forward, but I believe they would tell the truth when legally compelled to do so. People with verifiable anecdotes should come forward.

The Nature of the Fraud
It’s time to put some order on the kind of fraudulent activities that we have identified in the Certifigate scandal. There are four or five different main infringements: 1) upgrades 2) intentional downgrades (and then the GIA person would inform a partner in the market of the availability of the stone) 3) GIA’s intentional ignorance of HPHT (especially in the 1998-2004 period this was highly prevalent) or 4) intentional ignorance of blue fluorescence. A mostly ignored additional illegal practice: a broker showed a stone and certificate to a potential buyer. The potential buyer would note the serial number on the certificate and, using facilitators, call the GIA to find out the name of the principal submitting the stone – and then the broker would be bypassed and the purchase made directly. A lot of brokers lost businesses and deals this way.

At the height of the corruption period the community of bribers may have controlled some 85 percent of the large and large fancy color goods coming from the U.S. market. At the Plumb Club Forum, JVC President Cecilia Gardner noted that not all companies had anti-money laundering compliance programs as required by law. Even those who may have programs are not all acting accordingly. It is worthwhile remembering that bribery is a predicate anti-money laundering offense. Anyone knowingly doing business with a company where the sources of money may have been derived from money laundering activities i.e., from bribery, is failing in his due diligence and is breaking the law himself.

At the end of the day, if the industry cannot rely on law enforcement officials to “clean up” the mess, the industry players will have to do it by themselves. The ethics espoused by the speakers at the Plumb Club Forum should not just be discussed in an auditorium but should be put to practice by everyone in the industry. We can write about and identify some of the practices, but it is up to the industry to decide how this industry will go forward.

Have a nice weekend.

http://www.idexonline.com/portal_FullEditorial.asp?id=29761

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/6/2008 8:46:54 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Date: 3/6/2008 1:04:39 AM
Author: strmrdr
langchunWei,

With all do respect.

Storm there has not been a lot of advance since 2004 from OctoNus side because the Master Stone Study we planned to do was to be supported by HRD''s research division (WTOCD) but the arrangement never got past their legal dept and our commonsense.

We have now made a small collection of a dozen Master Stones which can be seen here http://www.octonus.com/oct/mss/table.phtml
And are in my safe waiting for the next step in our busy lives.

One outcome of that study will be a matching human preception to software or any other system or method anyone wishes to devise. Unlike GIA, we will make these master stones and much of the information available to any organization (at some cost) who wishes to use them (when we are not).

langchunWei you may scoff at such mundane and boring work, but until you tell us some real information and not jsut bore us with long R''V''S type posts that probably take you a long time to create, we will continue living our boring lives like ants building nests before the rain comes.
LAst 4 years we worked mainly for Fancy color project and HDRI-Clarity visualization
ALso we found new good metrics for colorless diamonds :BlackZone, Blind Zone, Deats, Color ETAS

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/8/2008 7:37:13 PM
Author: Serg

GIA Certifigate: Phase Two

The two-day Plumb Club Forum, held earlier this week in New York, was one of the most remarkable industry events I have attended in many years. If there was one compelling message, one common denominator gluing all the presentations together, it was that trust, integrity, transparency, good governance, honesty, accountability and fairness have become the essential imperatives of diamond jewelry business conduct in general – and of relations to the consumer in particular. To the

manufacturers and retailers who attended the Forum, this is both axiomatic and self-evident, as is the realization that in the absence of these imperatives, there would be no justification to stay, nor any chance to succeed, in this luxury product business.

The conference, entitled “The Changing Landscape of the Jewelry Industry”, was a meeting of minds of prominent, optimistic and forward-looking people, profoundly believing in our industry’s future. In this memo, I don’t want to review the various presentations, but, rather, I want to convey the “feel good” sentiments that the whole conference exuded. It was a happy event, a celebration of the promise of tomorrow.

Looking out from the podium, I wondered if these jewelry executives in the audience had a contingency plan on how to act if, a few years down the road in the coming recession, some consumers wanted to sell some of their diamonds in order to improve their households’ cash flow, only to find out that their grading reports had overstated reality, and that the color grade was lower, or that the natural stone was really treated. Who would be liable? Who would pay? What would the salesperson tell the customer? Would one or more reported case trigger an avalanche of more people either selling or checking their certificates?

Consumer Backlash?
Is this a likely event? There are those who are counting for such scenario never to happen and who are suggesting that people like me and my U.S. colleague Rob Bates should simply shut up and drop the issue. “You are destroying us,” was one of the less kind comments. One can’t help but wonder whether those who would rather forget the possibly thousands or tens of thousands of fraudulent certificates that could be out there can reconcile these thoughts with all the ethical fundamentals espoused at the Plumb Club Forum.

To me, this week presented a new turning point. When I was in New York, I verified that the FBI agent [whose last name is similar to that of the GIA investigative counsel, but there is no relationship] had been taken off the job about six months after the GIA settled the Pincione lawsuit. Though a few days ago I still believed that the U.S. Federal Attorney, Harry A. Chernoff, had not fully closed the case, today I know that he has, in fact, closed it. The Grand Jury went home a long time ago. As one ex-prosecutor, who knows Chernoff, says: “Compared to the enormous serious money laundering and narcotics cases currently being investigated, the GIA Certifigate scandal is only of marginal government interest. So what if someone over-paid for his diamonds.”

Thus, what could possibly be the largest (and probably the longest) consumer fraud ever perpetrated in the diamond business may yet go unpunished, as if nothing happened. Forget about the micro-picture -- on a personal level, businesses got hurt. People went bankrupt. Families were destroyed. If this sounds dramatic, we can write books full of true anecdotes.

We see that the alleged misconduct has been going on for almost two decades – as far as we can document it. While walking in the corridors of the Plumb Club Forum, one merchant recalled that almost 15 years ago a female GIA grader was “marketing her upgrade services” in the office of a diamond company (S., which has since moved from 5th Avenue to India). For a basic bribing down-payment (signing-on payment) of $7,000-$9,000 one could secure continuous upgrade services on stones in the one- to three-carat range. One of those to whom the services were offered informed the GIA. Instead of appreciating the tip, lab members retaliated against the informer. That may be a minor incident in a long-forgotten past, but we believe it is relevant today.

I want to say this very clearly: we cannot say for certain that things that happened in the past are not continuing today. It isn’t over yet. When I tried to convince one of my oldest and most trusted sources on the Certifigate scandal to share his concrete information directly with GIA’s Donna Baker, Tom Moses or Ralph Destino, he declined. They have demonstrated their unwillingness to really deal with the issue, he commented sadly.

Chairman Ralph Destino truly and honestly believes that under his leadership the GIA has made incredible changes, and that the organization is totally different today than it was less than two years ago. It might puzzle the chairman that there is a genuine perception in a large part of the market that all what management is credited for having done is limiting the damage to the GIA and just covering it up. If the U.S. Attorney doesn’t return any indictments and if no trial is to take place, which is something the GIA says it cannot do anything about, market perception will still be that the GIA didn’t want anything to happen. Strangely, it may well be in the best interest of the GIA that the U.S. Attorney would indict some bribers and bribe recipients.

Some of the nastiest practitioners of these past practices are still in their jobs at the GIA. A few weeks ago, we noted the initials of partners in a business, who, over a long period of time secured fraudulent certificates. Because of an arbitration where several people were privy to details of the corrupt business relationship, the GIA was genuinely interested in going after those who corrupted its greatness and damaged its brand. Why didn’t the GIA immediately ask the relevant diamond club for further information? Why didn’t the GIA ask me for the full names so it could investigate and decide whether a letter should be sent notifying them of violating the GIA ethics codes, as was done in the past? How come after having issued a handful of letters denying the recipients’ further use of GIA facilities, more such letters haven’t been issued?

The List of the “Dirty-Two Dozen”
On the back of an envelope, based on notes and memory, I compiled a list of some 25 names, which, in my book, are proven bribers. If I could make such a list with relatively ease – and I am probably not the only one – I totally and completely cannot comprehend what either the GIA investigator Tom O’Neill or U.S. Federal Attorney Harry Chernoff have been doing. It has become clear that the industry cannot – or should not - rely either on the GIA or law enforcement to get to the bottom of this. Reluctantly, I conclude that this will become the task of the trade press. From commentators, we are now becoming investigators. It’s not the way I planned to spend my final years in journalism.

As a reporter, evidence mainly comes in anecdotes, which can be cross-checked with various parties. Let me share with you here one such anecdote that happened six or seven years ago, and dozens of people seem to be aware of it. I picked at random one name from my list whom we will refer to as P. He is on the board of one New York’s industry organizations. Another trader, called K, has a good customer in Europe to which, every month, he would sell a certain type of goods. One month he didn’t have the goods and he called his colleague P who provided him with a huge parcel of GIA certificates. K selected some 30 diamonds of one carat and up based on the certificates, and agreed on the price with P. Without ever having seen the goods, K sent the diamonds to his client in Europe.

The deal was closed with a “mazal,” which K had never broken in his life. When his client in Europe received the goods, the discrepancy between the certificate grades and the reality was blaringly blatant – off by several grades. A very upset K called his supplier, P; the latter didn’t seem upset. “Just have him send back the goods and I won’t hold you to your mazal,” P said, not at all surprised. It was only a parcel of 30 stones in the one- to three-carat range.

It would be nasty if I were to go public with just one anecdote. So here’s another one: it involved the sale of a pair of three-carat pear-shaped stones to a private individual. A dealer, also a K, offered a price but the private (non-trade) customer was surprised and upset. He had just bought a similar stone with identical certificate parameters at 25 percent less. K asked to see the other stone and the certificate and compared them to each other. The certificate said H color, though in fact the color was below K, which represents a huge price differential. The seller of this stone was obviously happy to get rid of it to a private [non-trade] client. That seller was P.

Investigators for U.S. Attorney Harry Chernoff know how to investigate and interrogate. They know how to subpoena. They know how to take testimony. Forgive me if I’m naïve, but I believe that the huge majority of our industry is of the same kind as the jewelers attending the Plumb Club Forum. Some misplaced sense of loyalties, partly ethnic and religious based, may prevent people from actually coming forward, but I believe they would tell the truth when legally compelled to do so. People with verifiable anecdotes should come forward.

The Nature of the Fraud
It’s time to put some order on the kind of fraudulent activities that we have identified in the Certifigate scandal. There are four or five different main infringements: 1) upgrades 2) intentional downgrades (and then the GIA person would inform a partner in the market of the availability of the stone) 3) GIA’s intentional ignorance of HPHT (especially in the 1998-2004 period this was highly prevalent) or 4) intentional ignorance of blue fluorescence. A mostly ignored additional illegal practice: a broker showed a stone and certificate to a potential buyer. The potential buyer would note the serial number on the certificate and, using facilitators, call the GIA to find out the name of the principal submitting the stone – and then the broker would be bypassed and the purchase made directly. A lot of brokers lost businesses and deals this way.

At the height of the corruption period the community of bribers may have controlled some 85 percent of the large and large fancy color goods coming from the U.S. market. At the Plumb Club Forum, JVC President Cecilia Gardner noted that not all companies had anti-money laundering compliance programs as required by law. Even those who may have programs are not all acting accordingly. It is worthwhile remembering that bribery is a predicate anti-money laundering offense. Anyone knowingly doing business with a company where the sources of money may have been derived from money laundering activities i.e., from bribery, is failing in his due diligence and is breaking the law himself.

At the end of the day, if the industry cannot rely on law enforcement officials to “clean up” the mess, the industry players will have to do it by themselves. The ethics espoused by the speakers at the Plumb Club Forum should not just be discussed in an auditorium but should be put to practice by everyone in the industry. We can write about and identify some of the practices, but it is up to the industry to decide how this industry will go forward.

Have a nice weekend.

http://www.idexonline.com/portal_FullEditorial.asp?id=29761

It is artilce CHAIM EVEN-ZOHAR in IDEX.

langchunWei

Rough_Rock
Experiential Database and Theoretical Database
----Comments on GIA and AGS¡¯ 544 sets of experiential database

langchunwei 11.jpg

langchunWei

Rough_Rock

Contents in the above graphs are the most authoritative, the widest applied well-known traditional experiential database. What¡¯s the difference with my theoretical database? I can simply explain for you:

1) There are already many doubts and criticisms for this long-historical database, and OctoNus¡¯ criticism is the most comprehensive and profound, with its own opinions. Thus, empiricism should progress into science. Gem cutting industry has been stayed in the outdated experiential database for such a long time that there is no reason for any longer.

2) When comparing traditional experiential database with my theoretical database, we can firstly study the sets of data with table proportion of 53%. Obviously, there are 51 sets of data with table proportion of 53% in traditional experiential database, but in my theoretical database, there is only one. Actually, so do the theoretical data with other table proportion. Moreover, each of its parameter will not be equal with others¡¯. Besides, we can compare the real cutting results to see which data can reach a better cutting quality, the traditional 51 sets of data or my single set of data.

3) In my theoretical database, there are infinite sets of data which accord with the same continuous function, a curve function. The traditional experiential database does not accord with any mathematical functions. Neither its 544 sets of data nor its 51 sets of data have any foundation. So, I can testify several issues while traditional experiential database cannot.
4) Every set of data in my theoretical database is suitable for a certain shape of raw material. That¡¯s what the traditional experiential database cannot achieve.
These differences have already proved something. Science is science, and experience is experience. They cannot be mentioned in the same breath and talked together. The proper choice is to respect science. Sticking up for empiricism is wasting time and money.

langchun wei
CEO DLSTCHINA

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/9/2008 10:27:14 PM

Contents in the above graphs are the most authoritative, the widest applied well-known traditional experiential database. What¡¯s the difference with my theoretical database? I can simply explain for you:
langchun wei
CEO DLSTCHINA
Ags have had a few changes to their "recomended" proportions which you can note here and other pages on this site
http://www.octonus.ru/oct/mss/gia&agspgs.phtml

langchunWei

Rough_Rock

Centennial Developmental History of Diamond Cut

The two tables in appendix typically present the centennial developmental history of diamond cut. All the cutting data in the tables are of famous brand and typical significance with scientific value.
So, what kind of issues and facts can we see clearly?
1. For over a hundred years, human beings have stuck to scientific themes which are the research subjects on scientific theory for cutting, continuous functions for cutting and theoretical database for cutting. Theoretical experiential database for cutting has been an original content of subjects for a century. Thus, in today¡¯s research, we should grasp the theme and try to make progress from traditional empiricism to scientific theory.

2. In many essays, there is no statement either on cutting theory or on cutting equations. It seems that people have never studied on such kinds of subjects. Actually, it is easy to explain that: since no scientific achievement had been got on the study of cutting theory and cutting equations, there was unnecessary to make any statements. As far as I know, no other essay has stated these two subjects except me.

3. Since a Boston trailblazer firstly started to study cutting data in 1880, history became a tentative, experiential, superficially summarized and experimental process. That means, everyone tried and got a set of data one after another, and the experiential database was summarized.

4. The quoted essays do not mention cutting theory, cutting equations, cutting database and cut grades standard on quality. We should purely theoretically study them. I read several essays from organizations such as OctoNus, GIA and HRD, however, I have never know any would make purely theoretical research. Almost all the essays are superficial summarized report.

To sum up, centennial developmental history is an empiricism history, a tentative history for progressional directions and progressional road, a history attempted by experience. That is a fact.
Appendix (2 in total):
1. Table 2 in the essay Cut Analysis on Round Brilliant Diamonds, written by Dr. James.

MODELING THE APPEARANCE OF
THE ROUND BRILLIANT CUT
DIAMOND: AN ANALYSIS OF BRILLIANCE
and James E. Shigley
2. Table 3 in the essay Cut Analysis on Round Brilliant Diamonds, written by Dr. James.

langchun wei
CEO DLSTCHINA

langchunWei

Rough_Rock
Appendix (2 in total):
1. DIAMOND: AN ANALYSIS OF BRILLIANCE
James E. Shigley

langchunwei 23.jpg

langchunWei

Rough_Rock
2. Table 3 in the essay Cut Analysis on Round Brilliant Diamonds, written by Dr. James.

langchunwei 24.jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/16/2008 11:42:14 PM

Centennial Developmental History of Diamond Cut

The two tables in appendix typically present the centennial developmental history of diamond cut. All the cutting data in the tables are of famous brand and typical significance with scientific value.
So, what kind of issues and facts can we see clearly?
1. For over a hundred years, human beings have stuck to scientific themes which are the research subjects on scientific theory for cutting, continuous functions for cutting and theoretical database for cutting. Theoretical experiential database for cutting has been an original content of subjects for a century. Thus, in today¡¯s research, we should grasp the theme and try to make progress from traditional empiricism to scientific theory.

2. In many essays, there is no statement either on cutting theory or on cutting equations. It seems that people have never studied on such kinds of subjects. Actually, it is easy to explain that: since no scientific achievement had been got on the study of cutting theory and cutting equations, there was unnecessary to make any statements. As far as I know, no other essay has stated these two subjects except me.

3. Since a Boston trailblazer firstly started to study cutting data in 1880, history became a tentative, experiential, superficially summarized and experimental process. That means, everyone tried and got a set of data one after another, and the experiential database was summarized.

4. The quoted essays do not mention cutting theory, cutting equations, cutting database and cut grades standard on quality. We should purely theoretically study them. I read several essays from organizations such as OctoNus, GIA and HRD, however, I have never know any would make purely theoretical research. Almost all the essays are superficial summarized report.

To sum up, centennial developmental history is an empiricism history, a tentative history for progressional directions and progressional road, a history attempted by experience. That is a fact.

Appendix (2 in total):
1. Table 2 in the essay Cut Analysis on Round Brilliant Diamonds, written by Dr. James.

MODELING THE APPEARANCE OF
THE ROUND BRILLIANT CUT
DIAMOND: AN ANALYSIS OF BRILLIANCE
and James E. Shigley

langchun wei
CEO DLSTCHINA

so?
What is next Sir?

langchunWei

Rough_Rock
Our Sixteen Pictures

The sixteen pictures we show are non-professional ones of which we took photographs by ourselves.
All of our vitreous facets have beautiful fire.

Picture 1 Picture 2

Picture 3 Picture 4

Picture 5 Picture 6

Picture 7 Picture 8

Picture 9 Picture 10

These vitreous facets are cut out from transparent common window glass, but the chromatic dispersion presents red color, and other present blue.

Picture 11 Picture 12

Picture 13 Picture 14

Picture 15 Picture 16

Among the pictures I shot by myself, some are more beautiful than these open ones and some are less. Fortunately, you can get more beautiful pictures when attesting.
Certainly, someone may think that I should show more satisfactory and more confidential information here, but I¡¯m afraid I cannot meet such needs. However, they have the abilities to satisfy themselves as long as they become real cooperators, because my cutting theory, my continuous functions and my theoretical database can satisfy my cooperators.

langchun wei
CEO DLSTCHINA

langchunwei 26.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results