shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearls…I’m so new to them!

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
Hello friends! I was watching a documentary and this person had the most beautiful necklace stack to include a strand of pearls. I am now obsessed but I have no clue what I’m doing. Please help!

Long story…but anywho, my stepmom still has 3 strands of pearls from my late father’s inventory:
16" white 9-9.5mm
18" 8-8.5mm natural pink (they paid $1750)
24" 7-7.5mm white

She said they’re all very nice and I could have each strand of white for around $350 and the pink set for $900. I don’t know what questions to ask her - can you give me some pointers?

This is the only picture I have - I’ll be headed over to her house this weekend to see them in person and can post more :) Resized_20240115_182013.jpeg

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
To my untrained eye they’re all shiny and beautiful but I know there’s more to it ;-)

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
They all look like freshwater pearls. Check the metal of the clasp. High carat gold clasps will increase the price. I think the pink ones especially are expensive. The prices quoted seem to be retail rather than trade.
You may find that you fall in love with one or more strands but unless you do I'd advise you to spend some time studying what's available and possible and what you want. Those three are all classic single strands. You might, for example, be a person who prefers something more unusual.
Take your time.

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
The natural pink is freshwater -- that is a common natural color for fwp.
I would ask if they are all freshwater pearls. They do not appear to have the high luster of akoyas.

Try them on and see if you like them.

They all look like freshwater pearls. Check the metal of the clasp. High carat gold clasps will increase the price. I think the pink ones especially are expensive. The prices quoted seem to be retail rather than trade.
You may find that you fall in love with one or more strands but unless you do I'd advise you to spend some time studying what's available and possible and what you want. Those three are all classic single strands. You might, for example, be a person who prefers something more unusual.
Take your time.

I’m really drawn to the pink ones which isn’t what I was expecting. I fully expected to get a strand of white pearls and I still might! Is there such thing as a beginner strand of pearls?

She did respond to me and say they’re all freshwater pearls and the clasps are 18k gold.

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
Oops, sorry 14k

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought the price of the pink was way too high.
For example, this AAA 8.5-9.0mm peach to pink strand on Pearl Paradise is only $540, with a 14K gold ball clasp. And it's larger than the one you are looking at.

Freshwater pearls are a good place to start, sure. Certainly they cost less than akoyas.

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
I thought the price of the pink was way too high.
For example, this AAA 8.5-9.0mm peach to pink strand on Pearl Paradise is only $540, with a 14K gold ball clasp. And it's larger than the one you are looking at.

Freshwater pearls are a good place to start, sure. Certainly they cost less than akoyas.

Oh wow! I wonder why they paid so much for them…it would have been more than 5 years ago too that they purchased them and likely at a trade show of some sort. It almost seems like I’d be better off purchasing from Pearl Paradise.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is your stepmom's price negotiable?
I understand she may be trying to recoup money after having overpaid, but that burden is not on you.

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
Is your stepmom's price negotiable?
I understand she may be trying to recoup money after having overpaid, but that burden is not on you.

I’m sure it is and she may not know she overpaid. What would be a reasonable price to offer?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could ask her to match the PP price, if you are willing to pay that much and if you like them and want them.

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
You could ask her to match the PP price, if you are willing to pay that much and if you like them and want them.

The link that you shared shows pink to peach in color - does that mean the pearls aren’t all the same color?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The colors are natural so there will be some variation. I would point out that the same variation is true of the strand you photographed.
They would only be exactly the same color if they were dyed.

Also, you didn't say whether you had tried them on. Are you geographically nearby and can try them on before deciding?
Pearl colors can look better or worse against our skin tone. A pink/peach tone may disappear against your skin, for example.

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
The colors are natural so there will be some variation. I would point out that the same variation is true of the strand you photographed.
They would only be exactly the same color if they were dyed.

Also, you didn't say whether you had tried them on. Are you geographically nearby and can try them on before deciding?
Pearl colors can look better or worse against our skin tone. A pink/peach tone may disappear against your skin, for example.

Ah, ok that makes sense - thank you for the information! So much to consider :)

Yes, I’m going to head over to her house this weekend so I can try them on and see them up close. I had no idea about the tone changing against my skin. Does that happen with the white ones as well?

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
Well now I’ve gone done a pearl rabbit hole. I really love Tahitian pearls but can’t afford to do an actual strand. Maybe a nice pendant would scratch that itch :)

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not that the pearls change tone, of course, but that their appearance may be more or less flattering depending on your skin tone.

And yes, that is also true of white pearls. Do you realize how many tones of white there are? Even in your photo, the two white strands are not the same tone.

FWP are often a slightly creamier or warmer white than akoyas. When ordering FWP from Pearl Paradise, for example, one can request a more silver overtone vs. a cream overtone vs. a rose overtone.

Also, because pearls are shiny and reflective, they will reflect the color clothes you are wearing.

It was a while before I could afford Tahtians, too. A pendant is a nice place to start. Or studs.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And Tahitians have their own color issues. There's body color and overtone color to consider. The most common body colors are gray or green, not black. Overrtone colors that seem very bright in a vendor studio photo may not be what you see in ordinary lighting. The overtone colors pop in difuse light, such as an overcast day, or indoors natural light.

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
It's not that the pearls change tone, of course, but that their appearance may be more or less flattering depending on your skin tone.

And yes, that is also true of white pearls. Do you realize how many tones of white there are? Even in your photo, the two white strands are not the same tone.

FWP are often a slightly creamier or warmer white than akoyas. When ordering FWP from Pearl Paradise, for example, one can request a more silver overtone vs. a cream overtone vs. a rose overtone.

Also, because pearls are shiny and reflective, they will reflect the color clothes you are wearing.

It was a while before I could afford Tahtians, too. A pendant is a nice place to start. Or studs.

Yep, it’s clear that I have no clue what I’ve gotten myself into! I honestly didn’t notice the different tones in the picture I posted. I still think I’d like maybe a classic strand of white/whiteish.

I think these are on my purchase list:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty! I see the hinge so I suppose you flip the back of the earring up to put them on? But I wonder what the back of the earring looks like?

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
Pretty! I see the hinge so I suppose you flip the back of the earring up to put them on? But I wonder what the back of the earring looks like?

That’s what I’m assuming. I wonder if the company would send me a picture of the back…can’t hurt to ask!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are very good about customer service. I'm sure they would send you photos.

Since you are so new to pearls, you may wish to learn more about pearls by taking the CPAA's "Pearls As One" course. Go to pearlsasone.org ; the course is free with code PP10951.

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
They are very good about customer service. I'm sure they would send you photos.

Since you are so new to pearls, you may wish to learn more about pearls by taking the CPAA's "Pearls As One" course. Go to pearlsasone.org ; the course is free with code PP10951.

Thank you! I love this suggestion <3

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m really drawn to the pink ones which isn’t what I was expecting. I fully expected to get a strand of white pearls and I still might! Is there such thing as a beginner strand of pearls?

She did respond to me and say they’re all freshwater pearls and the clasps are 18k gold.

opps im looking at the oldest post
so edited to say
i hope you are having fun

i am not a pink girl in the slightest but there is something magical about pink pearls

have fun trying them all on, take not of the length you like
also pearls are similar to diamonds in that there is pearl shrinkage syndrome so dont think pearl sizes are too big for you

maybe do some homework regarding prices by taking a look at the freshwaters on Pearl Paradise's web site

and as they say around these here parts, welcome to the nacre side

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
opps im looking at the oldest post
so edited to say
i hope you are having fun

i am not a pink girl in the slightest but there is something magical about pink pearls

have fun trying them all on, take not of the length you like
also pearls are similar to diamonds in that there is pearl shrinkage syndrome so dont think pearl sizes are too big for you

maybe do some homework regarding prices by taking a look at the freshwaters on Pearl Paradise's web site

and as they say around these here parts, welcome to the nacre side

Thank you! I am having fun - hard not to when learning about pretty baubles :)

Good to know about shrinkage because it is 100% real with diamonds! Lol

Is Pearl’s Paradise where most folks here shop for pearls? It certainly comes up in all of my searches online.

Lol I love it!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've bought a number of things from them, but also plenty from other vendors. Check out the Trusted Vendors sticky at the top of this forum. It's just a series of posts with recommendations from us pearl buyers, not anything official, but it should give you a few more vendors to explore.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You need to be careful with pink pearls. Some pinks just sink into your skin (figuratively not literally) and get lost. Pinks with some blue will stand out more as the blue stands out against the yellow in most skin colours, so think lavender-ish rather than peach (even though peach is this year's 'in' colour)

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pearl Paradise recently did several online sales, I think the videos might be on FB still. They were a really interesting way to see lots of different pearls and jewellery in person, makes you realise what immense variety there is! I’d encourage you to have a look.

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
I have been unable to view the pearls in person as my stepmom was exposed to Covid and has been quarantining. I did, however, decide to get a 7.5-8 mm 18” white freshdama set from Pearl Paradise :) my order should be here within the next week - can’t wait!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have been unable to view the pearls in person as my stepmom was exposed to Covid and has been quarantining. I did, however, decide to get a 7.5-8 mm 18” white freshdama set from Pearl Paradise :) my order should be here within the next week - can’t wait!

i hope your step mum is getting better
and your new pearls are lovely

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results