shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearl stud earring size guide - show me yours!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Hi!

I was going through the PS Pearl threads looking for something that highlighted different size pearl stud earrings for a size reference. Similar to in SMTB we have "show me your diamond studs!", but I wasn't able to find anything. :cry2:

If there is already a thread "show me your pearl studs", by all means link it below! Otherwise is that something people are interested in? I was on PP today looking for a pair of pearl studs, and I was completely stumped on sizing. I have no frame of reference how big a 6mm stud would look compared to a 7mm or even 8mm. :confused::confused: It would be super helpful to have a thread where we can showcase all our different studs and sizing!

What do you lovely PS people think?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Ooooh what a great idea!

I can start! Or happy to shift to a "show me your pearl studs" thread!

Here are my 7mm gem akoyas from @molinePDG ! They are next to 4mm diamond studs. The photo might not be the most helpful in the world....

IMG-5143.jpg

Here is another photo with them compared to antique pearls that I measured with my calipers - a bit over 8mm (approx 8.2mm)

IMG-5126.jpg

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooh what a great idea!

I can start! Or happy to shift to a "show me your pearl studs" thread!

Here are my 7mm gem akoyas from @molinePDG ! They are next to 4mm diamond studs. The photo might not be the most helpful in the world....

IMG-5143.jpg

Here is another photo with them compared to antique pearls that I measured with my calipers - a bit over 8mm (approx 8.2mm)

IMG-5126.jpg

Looooove it! Thanks for sharing! I especially love you showing the diamond stud size too! I have double piercings and I love to see the pearl/diamond comparison!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Looooove it! Thanks for sharing! I especially love you showing the diamond stud size too! I have double piercings and I love to see the pearl/diamond comparison!

I have another pair of pearls coming soonish that are a bit bigger...so can share those too!

I LOVE the double piercing with the pearls - it’s been my daily combo ever since I got my pearls!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought a while ago
I think one of our trade cheapies posted a thing on earing pearl size
i thought I'd saved it
but i can't find it :(2
Hopefully he'll see this thread and repost it

Rhd3

Shiny_Rock
PurePearls has a pretty good guide. You can see different pearl sizes on ears if you scroll a bit. I think it comes down to personal taste and earlobe size. A cheap set of ball studs might help you visualize. My favorite size for daily wear is 6-7 mm but I have small attached lobes.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Looking at what you already like most to wear will tell you better than any photo or forum post.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The current cadre of whites in my earrings box. Sorry in advance for the top - it's the most comfy shirt I own and it shows :lol:

7-7.5mm akoya (7.4mm by the calipers).
Pearl Paradise Hanadama, perfectly "meh" as far as Hanadama go. I have another pair of "gem" quality akoya from Andrew Moline in this same size, but they're a gift so I can't put them on ;( I haven't posted anywhere on PS yet, but teaser: The 7-7.5 "gem" akoya from Andrew beat same-size Mikimoto AAA in luster!!
1-7.png

8.5-9mm akoya (8.8mm by the calipers):
Mikimoto AA - I'm not keeping these. I wanted to compare Mikimoto AAA and AA. Surprise surprise, I'll be going with larger AAAs.
1-8.png

9.5-10mm akoya (9.7mm by the calipers):
Andrew Moline "gem" quality. All vendors' quality bands are just that - ranges. These are, in my comparison, lesser than Mikimoto AA, and what I paid was a small discount off Mikimoto A+, so the old truism of "you generally get what you pay for" holds true.
1-9.png

11-12mm WSS (11.9mm by the calipers):
Pearl Paradise. These have legitimately akoya-like luster. Untreated, probably Indonesian. You couldn't pry these from my dead fingers - I'll be keeping them for myself in the afterlife, #ThankYouVeryMuch.
1-11.png

Last edited:

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
The current cadre of whites in my earrings box. Sorry in advance for the top - it's the most comfy shirt I own and it shows :lol:

7-7.5mm akoya (7.4mm by the calipers).
Pearl Paradise Hanadama, perfectly "meh" as far as Hanadama go. I have another pair of "gem" quality akoya from Andrew Moline in this same size, but they're a gift so I can't put them on ;( I haven't posted anywhere on PS yet, but teaser: The 7-7.5 "gem" akoya from Andrew beat same-size Mikimoto AAA in luster!!
1-7.png

8.5-9mm akoya (8.8mm by the calipers):
Mikimoto AA - I'm not keeping these. I wanted to compare Mikimoto AAA and AA. Surprise surprise, I'll be going with larger AAAs.
1-8.png

9.5-10mm akoya (9.7mm by the calipers):
Andrew Moline "gem" quality. All vendors' quality bands are just that - ranges. These are, in my comparison, lesser than Mikimoto AA, and what I paid was a small discount off Mikimoto A+, so the old truism of "you generally get what you pay for" holds true.
1-9.png

11-12mm WSS (11.9mm by the calipers):
Pearl Paradise. These have legitimately akoya-like luster. Untreated, probably Indonesian. You couldn't pry these from my dead fingers - I'll be keeping them for myself in the afterlife, #ThankYouVeryMuch.
1-11.png

ooooo @yssie this is wonderful! Thank you for showcasing your fab collection, I was hoping you'd see this thread. <3 Also i love that you put the pictures in order from smallest pearl size to largest for my OCD lol. Also, your skin is amazing!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I'll be following this closely! Might have gone a bit overboard this past week buying pearl necklaces, and i want studs now.:bigsmile:

Now that you said that, you're obligated to post pictures @ForteKitty ;-)

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock

Mcgregor

Shiny_Rock
yssie, i love all your earrings, pearls, and every other gem that you have displayed on PS. You have an amazing and sophisticated collection!
I must add that your pearls are to die for!! All of them!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Well, this is surprising. I purchased these 9.4mm thinking they were going to tip forward the same way 8mm diamond studs tip forward. My lobes are thin and flimsy like sad skin sacs, no matter what type of mounting diamonds are in, they always tip forward and point to my sides, I rarely wear earrings, as much as I love them. Pearl studs, however, due to the shape (?) sit perfectly and looks amazing from the front. I'll be buying bigger ones! These pictures suck, they are slightly blue-green in person and much more flattering. Also please excuse my sun damaged skin, I grew up in LA not using sunblock.

eta: my right piercing is lower and points down, so you can see one earring has a bit of skin visible on the bottom but the other doesn't. plus my right earlobe is about 1mm thinner. Both earrings are clasped tightly, my piercings are just crooked.

Attachments

• 154336151_128011162569259_6191477153803902135_n (1).jpg
    154336151_128011162569259_6191477153803902135_n (1).jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 153200601_192597842622775_2681411758566339951_n.jpg
    153200601_192597842622775_2681411758566339951_n.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 154729199_5411438935547967_4574839889068067193_n.jpg
    154729199_5411438935547967_4574839889068067193_n.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Well, this is surprising. I purchased these 9.4mm thinking they were going to tip forward the same way 8mm diamond studs tip forward. My lobes are thin and flimsy like sad skin sacs, no matter what type of mounting diamonds are in, they always tip forward and point to my sides, I rarely wear earrings, as much as I love them. Pearl studs, however, due to the shape (?) sit perfectly and looks amazing from the front. I'll be buying bigger ones! These pictures suck, they are slightly blue-green in person and much more flattering. Also please excuse my sun damaged skin, I grew up in LA not using sunblock.

eta: my right piercing is lower and points down, so you can see one earring has a bit of skin visible on the bottom but the other doesn't. plus my right earlobe is about 1mm thinner. Both earrings are clasped tightly, my piercings are just crooked.

I love this color and tone on your skin. Made me giggle with "sad skin sacs". You look so young and beautiful. Like an earring model.

When I bought my larger studs, I picked up 14k filled 9mm backs on Etsy for about 12 bucks a pair. They help my really old ear sacks support those pearls :)

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I love this color and tone on your skin. Made me giggle with "sad skin sacs". You look so young and beautiful. Like an earring model.

When I bought my larger studs, I picked up 14k filled 9mm backs on Etsy for about 12 bucks a pair. They help my really old ear sacks support those pearls :)

I have those! but they hang out the bottom on the right side because my piercing is so low. I think the ones I use are 7mm and even those are visible.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I have those! but they hang out the bottom on the right side because my piercing is so low. I think the ones I use are 7mm and even those are visible.

Oh no! :( I'm glad you don't need them, as it looks like they are sitting so pretty. Grr at the piercer though.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

They look beautiful!

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock

Beautiful! The color and size looks great on you!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

They look lovlly
Well done

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

P. They look phenomenal on you!! No joke. Centered on your lobes. Pearl studs are more forgiving than diamond studs, I think, because they’re the same all the way around - you see the same thing from any angle. No “face up”.

Honestly this is a great size for you. I could see smaller white akoya on you too - beautiful and classic. You lucky people who look better in smaller studs... :mrgreen:

If the weight bothers you - I swear by these. They’re available on Amazon. https://blingguard.com/products/blingdots

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
P. They look phenomenal on you!! No joke. Centered on your lobes. Pearl studs are more forgiving than diamond studs, I think, because they’re the same all the way around - you see the same thing from any angle. No “face up”.

Honestly this is a great size for you. I could see smaller white akoya on you too - beautiful and classic. You lucky people who look better in smaller studs... :mrgreen:

If the weight bothers you - I swear by these. They’re available on Amazon. https://blingguard.com/products/blingdots

Thanks! I think I can go up to 10.5mm as they're much lighter than expected. I ordered two larger dangle pairs last night because I have zero self control. :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results