Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearl stud earring size guide - show me yours!

Sprinkles&Stones

Shiny_Rock
Hi!

I was going through the PS Pearl threads looking for something that highlighted different size pearl stud earrings for a size reference. Similar to in SMTB we have "show me your diamond studs!", but I wasn't able to find anything. :cry2:

If there is already a thread "show me your pearl studs", by all means link it below! Otherwise is that something people are interested in? I was on PP today looking for a pair of pearl studs, and I was completely stumped on sizing. I have no frame of reference how big a 6mm stud would look compared to a 7mm or even 8mm. :confused::confused: It would be super helpful to have a thread where we can showcase all our different studs and sizing!

What do you lovely PS people think?

Cerulean

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooh what a great idea!

I can start! Or happy to shift to a "show me your pearl studs" thread!

Here are my 7mm gem akoyas from @molinePDG ! They are next to 4mm diamond studs. The photo might not be the most helpful in the world....

IMG-5143.jpg

Here is another photo with them compared to antique pearls that I measured with my calipers - a bit over 8mm (approx 8.2mm)

IMG-5126.jpg

Sprinkles&Stones

Shiny_Rock
Ooooh what a great idea!

I can start! Or happy to shift to a "show me your pearl studs" thread!

Here are my 7mm gem akoyas from @molinePDG ! They are next to 4mm diamond studs. The photo might not be the most helpful in the world....

IMG-5143.jpg

Here is another photo with them compared to antique pearls that I measured with my calipers - a bit over 8mm (approx 8.2mm)

IMG-5126.jpg

Looooove it! Thanks for sharing! I especially love you showing the diamond stud size too! I have double piercings and I love to see the pearl/diamond comparison!

Cerulean

Brilliant_Rock
Looooove it! Thanks for sharing! I especially love you showing the diamond stud size too! I have double piercings and I love to see the pearl/diamond comparison!

I have another pair of pearls coming soonish that are a bit bigger...so can share those too!

I LOVE the double piercing with the pearls - it’s been my daily combo ever since I got my pearls!

Rhd3

Rough_Rock
PurePearls has a pretty good guide. You can see different pearl sizes on ears if you scroll a bit. I think it comes down to personal taste and earlobe size. A cheap set of ball studs might help you visualize. My favorite size for daily wear is 6-7 mm but I have small attached lobes.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The current cadre of whites in my earrings box. Sorry in advance for the top - it's the most comfy shirt I own and it shows :lol:

7-7.5mm akoya (7.4mm by the calipers).
Pearl Paradise Hanadama, perfectly "meh" as far as Hanadama go. I have another pair of "gem" quality akoya from Andrew Moline in this same size, but they're a gift so I can't put them on ;( I haven't posted anywhere on PS yet, but teaser: The 7-7.5 "gem" akoya from Andrew beat same-size Mikimoto AAA in luster!!
1-7.png

8.5-9mm akoya (8.8mm by the calipers):
Mikimoto AA - I'm not keeping these. I wanted to compare Mikimoto AAA and AA. Surprise surprise, I'll be going with larger AAAs.
1-8.png

9.5-10mm akoya (9.7mm by the calipers):
Andrew Moline "gem" quality. All vendors' quality bands are just that - ranges. These are, in my comparison, lesser than Mikimoto AA, and what I paid was a small discount off Mikimoto A+, so the old truism of "you generally get what you pay for" holds true.
1-9.png

11-12mm WSS (11.9mm by the calipers):
Pearl Paradise. These have legitimately akoya-like luster. Untreated, probably Indonesian. You couldn't pry these from my dead fingers - I'll be keeping them for myself in the afterlife, #ThankYouVeryMuch.
1-11.png

Last edited:

Sprinkles&Stones

Shiny_Rock
The current cadre of whites in my earrings box. Sorry in advance for the top - it's the most comfy shirt I own and it shows :lol:

7-7.5mm akoya (7.4mm by the calipers).
Pearl Paradise Hanadama, perfectly "meh" as far as Hanadama go. I have another pair of "gem" quality akoya from Andrew Moline in this same size, but they're a gift so I can't put them on ;( I haven't posted anywhere on PS yet, but teaser: The 7-7.5 "gem" akoya from Andrew beat same-size Mikimoto AAA in luster!!
1-7.png

8.5-9mm akoya (8.8mm by the calipers):
Mikimoto AA - I'm not keeping these. I wanted to compare Mikimoto AAA and AA. Surprise surprise, I'll be going with larger AAAs.
1-8.png

9.5-10mm akoya (9.7mm by the calipers):
Andrew Moline "gem" quality. All vendors' quality bands are just that - ranges. These are, in my comparison, lesser than Mikimoto AA, and what I paid was a small discount off Mikimoto A+, so the old truism of "you generally get what you pay for" holds true.
1-9.png

11-12mm WSS (11.9mm by the calipers):
Pearl Paradise. These have legitimately akoya-like luster. Untreated, probably Indonesian. You couldn't pry these from my dead fingers - I'll be keeping them for myself in the afterlife, #ThankYouVeryMuch.
1-11.png

ooooo @yssie this is wonderful! Thank you for showcasing your fab collection, I was hoping you'd see this thread. <3 Also i love that you put the pictures in order from smallest pearl size to largest for my OCD lol. Also, your skin is amazing!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    February's Throwbacks: Diamonds are Forever
    February's Throwbacks: Diamonds are Forever
    March Birthstone 2021 - Aquamarine
    March Birthstone 2021 - Aquamarine
    Soapy Love
    Soapy Love

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.