shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearl Paradise Freshwater 9mm-11mm

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe check if Pearl Paradise has any metallics or Edisons in stock? Or actually, an open-ended anything-else-at-a-reasonably-similar-pricepoint that would satisfy the luster ask? Having a generous return policy is so helpful, nothing to lose by asking right… Baroques from Takahashi is a more uncertain proposition IMO because there’s no return policy - my concern there is that if you really do want rounds you might discover that your shape tolerance is lower than anticipated, even with the luster improvement…

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would love a stand or two of the natural grey baroque Akoyas as seen in Takahashi earlier in 2022 for their lustre!

Would I get a strand of high end Akoyas? Time will tell, however it is not high on my bling wish list. I would rather get a 2ct EC EMD instead. Happy with my collection of pearls which includes 2 single and a double gem quality CFWP from 3 different vendors.

DK :))

Reactions: Ann

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Metallic FWP are also not necessarily round!

8.0-8.5mm metallic white FWP from PP-- not quite round! Some look decidedly oblong.

8.0-8.5mm Metallic White FWP from PP.jpeg

Nor are they white-white!

From top to bottom:
• baroque akoyas (you can see they are pinked, as most akoyas are)
• baroque white SSP (these look the whitest)
• metallic white FWP (a warmer white than the SSP).

White pearls- baroque akoya, SSP, metallic white.jpeg

Also-- my akoyas from the consignment store have slightly better luster than the metallic white FWP. More consistent luster from one pearl to the next. There just aren't that many metallic white FWP and in my (admittedly limited) experience, there are not enough to match them well. I have 3 sets of metallic white FWP studs also, and they do not match their mate perfectly in shape, size or color.

Last edited:

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I can see that I will have to accept certain flaws in any given strand. My biggest must-have is luster. This current strand from PP just doesn't have that. If they did, then the potato shape would not bother me at all. My budget on this little project is around $3,000. The hunt begins :)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can see that I will have to accept certain flaws in any given strand. My biggest must-have is luster. This current strand from PP just doesn't have that. If they did, then the potato shape would not bother me at all. My budget on this little project is around $3,000. The hunt begins :)

If luster is your priority, with that budget, I would look at baroque Akoyas and Takahashi has some nice ones:

1672498467137.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Luster must-have mostest = Takahashi for akoya it is :lol:

I wonder how large you could get in round akoya from them for $3k. Pearl Paradise has 8.5-9mm Hanadama for just over that with their current sale.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
If luster is your priority, with that budget, I would look at baroque Akoyas and Takahashi has some nice ones:

1672498467137.png

Those have really caught my eye! Thanks for the suggestion. I need help, haha!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those have really caught my eye! Thanks for the suggestion. I need help, haha!

Another photo from Takahashi for their baroque Akoyas:

1672500820364.png

I WANT a double strand of natural grey ones!

DK :kiss2: :lol-2:

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Luster must-have mostest = Takahashi for akoya it is :lol:

I wonder how large you could get in round akoya from them for $3k. Pearl Paradise has 8.5-9mm Hanadama for just over that with their current sale.

9.5mm and up. Maybe 9.5 to 11mm. Or all 10's - 11's. I did look at PP last night and didn't see any one strand that warranted further research. I know, as you pointed out, Akoya's in that size will be uber $$$. But Baroque Akoya's, might fit the bill. I don't know much about Edison's or even where to source them. My pearl experience has been with Andrew Moline and Takahashi. Both were awesome.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock

1672500820364.png

Question about the above: What are the colors on these? White? Gray? Silver?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Akoyas pretty much max out at 10mm. The oysters are not very large and can't accommodate a large bead in their gonad, unlike SSP oysters.
If you definitely want larger, then Edisons may be the way to go.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m wondering if mayyybe 9.5-10 “round” is doable on your budget… Takahashi’s definition of “near round” is likely more spherical than the Freshadama strand you’re returning, honestly. They have an exacting definition of the word “round”.

But the baroque akoya might still (probably will) be more lustrous. But you know how they operate, I’m sure they’d be willing to take a comp pic.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Question about the above: What are the colors on these? White? Gray? Silver?

Don't know as the colours are not mentioned.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

1672500820364.png

@lissyflo has a strand of greys from Takahashi and she was kind enough to send me a couple of her extras, and they are STUNNING. The colour is a cool neutral - soothing and calming. I feel like I’d feel more relaxed just looking at a strand like that :love:

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Thank all of you. I thought they looked nice during the virtual meeting. But maybe it was their lighting. But I feel even worse that I have sooo much to learn about pearls and I couldn't see the off-shapes. But dang, PP said they were very round and very lustrous. And let me add one more thing, haha, they don't seem strung well. Oh gosh!

Don’t feel badly that you have more to learn about pearls :)
We’ve all been there! And seeing examples in person is so helpful. You are on your journey!

The first pancake never turns out as good as the last. Also: before we are a master we must be a disaster!

Kudos for learning and knowing where to look for help :)

Reactions: Ann

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I'm taking notes - no kidding! I've got to "get my ducks in a row" before I buy anything else, haha!

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If your pearls are slightly off round no-one will be able to tell when you are wearing them. (and small flaws = real pearls not fakes)But metallic luster is always visible.
Think about your priorities. Size/matching/shape/lustre/surface. The price notches up incrementally with each criteria demanding perfection.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
If your pearls are slightly off round no-one will be able to tell when you are wearing them. (and small flaws = real pearls not fakes)But metallic luster is always visible.
Think about your priorities. Size/matching/shape/lustre/surface. The price notches up incrementally with each criteria demanding perfection.

Thank you. Great advice

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@lissyflo has a strand of greys from Takahashi and she was kind enough to send me a couple of her extras, and they are STUNNING. The colour is a cool neutral - soothing and calming. I feel like I’d feel more relaxed just looking at a strand like that :love:

They’re very lovely to wear! I bought a full strand and made some into a bracelet that I wear a lot. The rest are sitting patiently for me to learn how to wire wrap neatly and will go into a rose gold tin cup. Unless/until I finally realise that I’m useless at crafty stuff and instead string them as a short strand onto chain, similar to a necklace someone posted above (or in another thread recently?). I’ve done similar for some white Akoya and wear that necklace style a lot.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results