shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearl Paradise Freshwater 9mm-11mm

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Forgot to post the specs - 18" (actually 10-11mm) White Freshadama. I want to change the clasp soon. But haven't found something that speaks to me yet.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Just adding 1 more pic. I'm not sure these are as nice as I hoped. I like the size of the pearls and I like how it sits on me. The strand is PP's Freshadama. I've never really studied what I should be looking at to judge this strand. For Freshwater's they were not cheap :)
PP Pearls 2.png

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you feel they look a bit “dull” and sort of “muted” or what?

I do feel like my freshadama pendant and earrings are shinier (more luster I guess) but I also took my pics in a light box.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Do you feel they look a bit “dull” and sort of “muted” or what?

I do feel like my freshadama pendant and earrings are shinier (more luster I guess) but I also took my pics in a light box.

They are not like Edison pearls with that high luster. I'm not sure what I was expecting. I took the pics with my old iPhone 8. So that doesn't help see the true luster and color I guess. In the pics they do look dulled out. But IRL, they do look better

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
More pics, on a mirror. I just don't know enough about Freshwater Freshadama's to know if this strand is nice or not. This was in Pearl Paradise's VIP selection. And I did a virtual meeting with PP to select them.

pearls on mirror 2.png pearls on mirror.png

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apologies for being direct/blunt, however, I would not expect to see that many obviously potato shaped pearls in their top grade Freshadama pearls myself.

If I had purchased Freshadamas and received this strand, I would return it and ask for a replacement.

However, that's my own humble opinion.

DK :))

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Apologies for being direct/blunt, however, I would not expect to see that many obviously potato shaped pearls in their top grade Freshadama pearls myself.

If I had purchased Freshadamas and received this strand, I would return it and ask for a replacement.

However, that's my own humble opinion.

DK :))

Thank you - I was thinking the same thing! I point blank asked if the pearls were round and she said yes. Grrrrrr

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
PP's pic. Strand is on the right
PP pearl pic.png

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure how much you paid but I think perhaps you could do better :/
And if you have an inkling of dissatisfaction now… I don’t think it will go away

Thanks - it's been bugging me since I opened them on Christmas But I kept thinking, well maybe this is what they are supposed to look like. I have no experience with freshwater pearls. I'm disappointed in PP. This is the 2nd purchase that has let me down.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks - it's been bugging me since I opened them on Christmas But I kept thinking, well maybe this is what they are supposed to look like. I have no experience with freshwater pearls. I'm disappointed in PP. This is the 2nd purchase that has let me down.

I got a freshwater bracelet from them once that was pretty potato shaped. It was a letdown for sure. The akoyas have been OK for me so far at the price point. But def send the strand back if the shape is a dealbreaker for you.

Reactions: Ann

Rhd3

Shiny_Rock
They certainly don’t look round in the photos you posted. All of my Freshadama pearls are round and lustrous. Most of my PP purchases have been beautiful but I’ve exchanged (poorly matched) and returned items that underwhelmed me.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Thank all of you. I thought they looked nice during the virtual meeting. But maybe it was their lighting. But I feel even worse that I have sooo much to learn about pearls and I couldn't see the off-shapes. But dang, PP said they were very round and very lustrous. And let me add one more thing, haha, they don't seem strung well. Oh gosh!

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I got a freshwater bracelet from them once that was pretty potato shaped. It was a letdown for sure. The akoyas have been OK for me so far at the price point. But def send the strand back if the shape is a dealbreaker for you.

The shape is not as much a dealbreaker as the lack of luster. Or the luster I was expecting.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I realize the camera can distort but in the photo the pearls look egg-shaped. Freshadama pearls do not contain a bead nucleus to make them fully round. Still, I would want them to be round to the eye.

The Freshadama strand I bought in 2007 actually does look round. The luster is good, but still less lustrous than the akoya necklace I bought at consignment shop.

Here's a photo of the Freshadama necklace (my neck was younger looking back then!)

Freshadama necklace.jpeg T

And the akoyas (definitely more lustrous than the FWP in person):

akoyas from consignment shop, 6.2-9mm.jpeg

If the lower luster bothers you, send them back.
I never wear my Freshadamas, but sometimes I wear the akoyas.

Last edited:

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I realize the camera can distort but in the photo the pearls look egg-shaped. Freshadama pearls do not contain a bead nucleus to make them fully round. Still, I would want them to be round to the eye.

The Freshadama strand I bought in 2007 actually does look round. The luster is good, but still less lustrous than the akoya necklace I bought at consignment shop.

Here's a photo of the Freshadama necklace (my neck was younger looking back then!)

Freshadama necklace.jpeg T

And the akoyas (definitely more lustrous than the FWP in person):

akoyas from consignment shop, 6.2-9mm.jpeg

Thanks for the explanation. Maybe I was expecting luster such as your Akoya's! :) And maybe I should be shopping for Akoya's. But I like a 9-11mm pearl and it's my understanding that Akoya's in that size are rare and $$

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
deleted (duplicate)

Last edited:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the explanation. Maybe I was expecting luster such as your Akoya's! :) And maybe I should be shopping for Akoya's. But I like a 9-11mm pearl and it's my understanding that Akoya's in that size are rare and $$

They would be rare and very expensive, yes.
I think one has to decide what the most important criteria are and buy pearls that meet those criteria. Unless one has very deep pockets, there is bound to be a trade-off.

High luster and fully round, but not very large: akoyas.
Large but softer luster and pricey: SSP
Large and more affordable but maybe not round, and softer luster: FWP.

My favorite akoyas are the 9.5-10mm baroque strand I bought from PP. People think they are SSP, and wow, the luster! And they didn't break the bank!
But they are not round. And you can't always find a strand.

9.5-10.0mm baroque akoya s from PP.jpeg

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
They would be rare and very expensive, yes.
I think one has to decide what the most important criteria are and buy pearls that meet those criteria. Unless one has very deep pockets, there is bound to be a trade-off.

High luster and fully round, but not very large: akoyas.
Large but softer luster and pricey: SSP
Large and more affordable but maybe not round, and softer luster: FWP.

My favorite akoyas are the 9.5-10mm baroque strand I bought from PP. People think they are SSP, and wow, the luster! And they didn't break the bank!
But they are not round. And you can't always find a strand.

9.5-10.0mm baroque akoya s from PP.jpeg

Gorgeous! Why are those baroques, to me they look round. And the luster is stunning.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They really are not round.

Most baroque akoyas are low quality and not durable, as the irregular deposition of nacre means there are very thin spots.

Jeremy found a seller in Japan who specialized in these thick-nacre baroques. They have this amazing play of iridescent colors because of the irregular surface. Like a soap bubble.

. baroques outdoors late afternoon.jpeg

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
They really are not round.

Most baroque akoyas are low quality and not durable, as the irregular deposition of nacre means there are very thin spots.

Jeremy found a seller in Japan who specialized in these thick-nacre baroques. They have this amazing play of iridescent colors because of the irregular surface. Like a soap bubble.

. baroques outdoors late afternoon.jpeg

wow! I saw that Takahashi had a few of these on their Instagram a few months ago. I was intrigued. Still am. Thank you for sharing.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just musing... all things considered, perhaps your best bet is to continue looking for a nice Edison strand.
I think that is what I would do, in your place.

We cross- posted.:)

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Just musing... all things considered, perhaps your best bet is to continue looking for a nice Edison strand.
I think that is what I would do, in your place.

We cross- posted.:)

Yes, that is a thought. Or look for Akoya's like your's. Gorgeous.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
As I recall this has been brought up before in forums - Freshadama are not always round. They should be free of flaws but I've seen photos of several off round strands. But if they told you they were round... then I think you might return them and try again. It certainly sounds like you aren't in love with them and frankly if you don't love them then it's a waste of money.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
As I recall this has been brought up before in forums - Freshadama are not always round. They should be free of flaws but I've seen photos of several off round strands. But if they told you they were round... then I think you might return them and try again. It certainly sounds like you aren't in love with them and frankly if you don't love them then it's a waste of money.

They do look free of flaws from what I can see. I will give it another go...thank you

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh phooey. I’m sorry @Ann!! :(sad

I agree with everyone else, totally. If you aren’t thrilled now then those feelings won’t go away. They don’t look round to me either and Pearl Paradise should 100% be willing to let you return or exchange. I shouldn’t expect you’ll have any trouble if/when you ask. I know that some vendors/individuals at companies have stricter definitions of “round” than others, so it could be that these pearls met your sales associate’s definition. But, y’know.

On the luster front… I’ve not had Freshadama pearls in a while, but I’ll be honest, I do remember not being blown away by the luster. But at that point I didn’t know what pearl luster *could* look like so I just assumed this was all there was to them (and that I just wasn’t really all that #intopearls).

I ❤️ @pearlsngems‘ suggestions of barely-baroque akoya or Edisons. Or metallic FW. Those would soothe the luster itch!! 9.5-10 in round akoya would be significantly more pricey, unfortunately ;(

Last edited:

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Oh phooey. I’m sorry @Ann!! :(sad

I agree with everyone else, totally. If you aren’t thrilled now then those feelings won’t go away. They don’t look round to me either and Pearl Paradise should 100% be willing to let you return or exchange. I shouldn’t expect you’ll have any trouble if/when you ask. I know that some vendors/individuals at companies have stricter definitions of “round” than others, so it could be that these pearls met your sales associate’s definition. But, y’know.

On the luster front… I’ve not had Freshadama pearls in a while, but I’ll be honest, I do remember not being blown away by the luster. But at that point I didn’t know what pearl luster *could* look like so I just assumed this was all there was to them (and that I just wasn’t really all that #intopearls).

I ❤️ @pearlsngems‘ suggestions of barely-baroque akoya or Edisons. Or metallic FW. Those would soothe the luster itch!! 9.5-10 in round akoya would be significantly more pricey, unfortunately ;(

Thanks yssie - I will send PP an email tomorrow requesting a return. I might reach out to Takahashi for the barely-baroques (like that description) I think I saw some on their IG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results