carat
color
clarity

Pastel hair???

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1426967963|3850685 said:
I am crushing hard on pink hair right now. I am growing out blonde highlights (looks ombre now), and I am debating getting a pink wash over the blonde. I'm growin git out anyways, so I don't care too much about the damage. I follow Guy Tang on instagram, and he has a 'rose gold' colour he does which I quite like. Its a subtle pink, very wearable. Doing your bangs or face framing layers would look good, and if you do the balayage style it will not be much upkeep, because it looks more natural and will grow out. Once it fades, you can just use a semi or demi perm dye over it to 'stain' the hair back to a more natural colour.

http://s3-media2.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/ZthXn6v4o4xQpOy5on0y7w/l.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/8b/6f/97/8b6f9720b17332fde3e4a666dc3aab5f.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/e7/63/5f/e7635f25187c12cbab46ced44b3617fd.jpg
https://d9hblenkye35w.cloudfront.net/media/thumbnail/ext/sm/https%253A%252F%252Ffbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net%252Fhphotos-ak-xpf1%252Fv%252Ft1.0-9%252F10590511_840158119341232_4297748500006975112_n.jpg%253Foh%253D039e0ccf853c8d30c0435d75b31f5da2%2526oe%253D54881CD0%2526__gda__%253D1419603642_73fb98b621c6e8af60c047ab4f0f9275

This kind of looks like what I end up with once the more vivid color washes out...although mine is less pinkish...I love it. I have a couple of strands/chunks near my face - warms up my complexion.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
tyty333|1426969146|3850697 said:
I think a subtle pink right on the edge of your side-swept bangs would be really pretty. I love colored hair but I just couldn't pull it off.
(too much gray...I guess an all over color would work but that just wouldnt be me. I would want something kind of
subtle.)

My girlfriend does peek-a-boo red. It's kind of cool because you dont see it all the time. Maybe when she turns her head
or if the wind blows. It's very subtle because her hair is dark brown.

Thats another option...maybe do an underneath layer that doesnt show all the time?

Or maybe tips, so they can be easily cut out.

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
My hair is quite short and is a bold magenta color. Has been for many months and I absolutely love it. It matches my personality well and strangers stop me very frequently to tell me how much they love it. I have never been concerned with appearing classy so I can't speak to that but it certainly is fun. :) I am an overweight but physically active, nearly 40-year old mother of two boys.

I will speak to the upkeep as I have learned some things through trial and error. First, my stylist uses a stain rather than a color. Second, I sit under one of those heat domes for 10-15 minutes once the stain has been applied. The heat makes a huge difference. Third, I only use shampoo (color safe) maybe two or three times a week. Shampoo pulls a lot of color out of the hair. I rinse &/or condition everyday because I typically workout daily.

I can not tell you how many times I have had a woman tell me that they wish they were brave enough to do similar to my cut and color. I do not see the big deal. It can be changed easily. Life is too short to wonder and admire other's style from afar. I'm a go for it kind of girl and I have had zero regrets.

Life is short. Go big or go home! :)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Exactly! It's fun and freeing to test things out and who knows what you might find that you like! I went from a super Barbie bleached blonde pixie in October (which the super blonde was fine when I was in my 20's but not now that I'm 40 so I won't be doing that again) to a super dark brown/red brunette color (not short enough to be pixie tho) a few days ago. The woman was like are you sure? Yep. And she lit up-"I love when clients want to try drastic changes!" and it was fun. It's hair and grows back. That's a fun part about being a girl, I think, being able to do fun things w/our hair-and there's SO many different options.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1426984100|3850794 said:
Exactly! It's fun and freeing to test things out and who knows what you might find that you like! I went from a super Barbie bleached blonde pixie in October (which the super blonde was fine when I was in my 20's but not now that I'm 40 so I won't be doing that again) to a super dark brown/red brunette color (not short enough to be pixie tho) a few days ago. The woman was like are you sure? Yep. And she lit up-"I love when clients want to try drastic changes!" and it was fun. It's hair and grows back. That's a fun part about being a girl, I think, being able to do fun things w/our hair-and there's SO many different options.

I did the same. In my adult life I've had hair down to my hip bown and down to about a cm. Its fun! I dont think I'll ever go down to very long hair, as short hair flatters my face. Last year I had bleach blonde, bright red, lavender, black, and brown. Its easy when your hair is 2 inches long, you have damage? Its gone in a few months. I stopped coloring it while I was pregnant though to be on the safe side.
I held off doing drastic coloring until my hair was short though, because long and overworked ends up looking like hay sometimes.
Also now my sister will keep my roots up for free...otherwise that's money too for upkeep. When I was younger, maybe 5 years ago I had a patch like you're considering. I did it in an area near my ear because your hair could grow out a lot and the roots didnt show.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I have lavendar hair! It's darker lavendar now but I love it. I'll post pictures tomorrow! It's been liberating as hell. I truly have never gotten so many compliments on my hair. One day, I'll change it but for now, I am so so loving it. It's been a fun journey getting to this color too. I got to see lots of differ colors on myself.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Looking forward to pics Autumnovember:)
I appreciate all of the advice, but for me, hair color is pretty serious business (that's why I started this thread). I NEVER experiment with my hair and since it's blonde, I've never messed with the color. I got quite a few inches cut off of it about 5 years ago (it was a spur-of-the-moment kind of decision) and afterwards, I had major regret. Even now, when I see pics of that cut, it makes me cringe :???:
I like the idea of doing a hidden piece of hair - maybe a small chunk somewhere under the long bang area? I've decided to buy the chalk just to see if I like the color change and then go from there.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What luxurious hair--just gorgeous! :love:

cheers--Sharon

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Wow! Your hair is just gorgeous. The hair itself and yes, the color!!! Do you find the process of the pastel coloring to be damaging? What is your experience with upkeep?

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
So there's a lot of products out there right now specifically to help hair from breaking and getting damaged. My stylist uses Olaplex and it works wonders. Upkeep is very easy. I get it touched up every 6 weeks and wash my hair with silver shampoo. It's easier upkeep than when I had highlights. Thanks for the nice compliments :)

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I love pastel hair. I can't wear it with my complexion though.

Once the henna grows out of my hair I am going to do a sapphire or emerald color. I'm pretty excited!!!

I Think with pastels I prefer the purples, but they are all lovely and cool!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock

BEAUTIFUL!~

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Autumn November, This is gorgeous! So cool.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Callie! I've really had so much fun with it over the last few months!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although I am now over 60, I am pretty adventurous with my hair. It has been every classic (as opposed to unnatural) color possible. Since I am very fair with light eyes and eyebrows, my own, natural hair is the only color one might not expect to see on me. (My natural color, when I was younger, was a brown so dark that people used to think it was black and called me "raven haired".)

I have been a redhead, which looked totally natural. A platinum blonde (I was told, "You can tell you're a natural blonde!"). A golden blonde. I have tried actual black.

My hairdresser desperately wants to try pink on me. This will not happen. I am not saying it should not happen to you. Some of those photos of you younger women in lilac hair are stunning. But I do not want to try dyed pink hair. I did, however, try pink tinsel when my hair was a bit longer than it is now. (It is currently very short and spiked.) When it was platinum and fell at least a couple of inches to frame my face, a few pieces of pink glitter was fun. ;))

Deb/AGBF

PS-This photo is not me. My hair was platinum blonde.

pinkhairtinsel.jpg

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1426938555|3850535 said:
LAJennifer|1426898621|3850410 said:
Define trashy.

I don't need to - it could mean different things to different people. My point is that I've never colored my hair and if I did, I'd want a look that was classy.

Wow. LAJennifer was just asking a question. There's no need to be rude. What is YOUR definition of trashy? Of course, it means different things to different people, that's what she was trying to discern. Classy can be defined in as many different ways as "trashy" can, too.

FWIW, I've been coloring my hair vibrant red/magenta tones for years, and they fade out into a somewhat pale pink at times (when my hairdresser bleaches the strands prior to coloring) and I've never had anyone accuse me of being "trashy"....at least not to my face.

If you want to do it, just do it. Who cares what anyone else thinks?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^I think you misunderstood… I wasn't being rude. I just meant that that the term trashy can mean different things to different people. I have my own definition, but understand that the definition of others might not be the same as mine and that's fine. I wasn't offended by her question and I hope that she wasn't offended by my response. It's all in good fun - no harm done - this is just a thread about hair :D
As far as caring what others think, I do, but that's not really what this thread is about. The thread was more about asking if others had pastel hair, upkeep, opinions, etc. and I'm glad that some members were able to share their experiences with it. I think that both Niel & Autumnovember look absolutely fabulous with pastel hair, but it's not a look that works for everyone.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1427063030|3851068 said:
Although I am now over 60, I am pretty adventurous with my hair. It has been every classic (as opposed to unnatural) color possible. Since I am very fair with light eyes and eyebrows, my own, natural hair is the only color one might not expect to see on me. (My natural color, when I was younger, was a brown so dark that people used to think it was black and called me "raven haired".)

I have been a redhead, which looked totally natural. A platinum blonde (I was told, "You can tell you're a natural blonde!"). A golden blonde. I have tried actual black.

My hairdresser desperately wants to try pink on me. This will not happen. I am not saying it should not happen to you. Some of those photos of you younger women in lilac hair are stunning. But I do not want to try dyed pink hair. I did, however, try pink tinsel when my hair was a bit longer than it is now. (It is currently very short and spiked.) When it was platinum and fell at least a couple of inches to frame my face, a few pieces of pink glitter was fun. ;))

Deb/AGBF

PS-This photo is not me. My hair was platinum blonde.

Thanks for sharing Deb - I've seen the hair tinsel before. There's a group of women here that get "tinseled" before the Holidays, which is sort of fun for parties, etc.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Autumnovember|1427048414|3850989 said:
So there's a lot of products out there right now specifically to help hair from breaking and getting damaged. My stylist uses Olaplex and it works wonders. Upkeep is very easy. I get it touched up every 6 weeks and wash my hair with silver shampoo. It's easier upkeep than when I had highlights. Thanks for the nice compliments :)

You have gorgeous hair! Love the lilac!

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
momhappy|1426938555|3850535 said:
LAJennifer|1426898621|3850410 said:
Define trashy.

I don't need to - it could mean different things to different people. My point is that I've never colored my hair and if I did, I'd want a look that was classy.

I think that classy is probably at least as variable as trashy - one person's trashy is another's classy, and vice versa. It's totally subjective, there is no definitive or objective measure, or correct answer. Which means... go for it! Try it! If you love it, and rock it, and if it pleases you and makes you smile, do it again when it fades and try every colour you love. Enjoy it. I've never dyed my hair either, but if I did, I think it would be pastel pink. I too am intrigued (it wouldn't fly at work, but otherwise, I'd be right there).

And if you don't love it, ah well, it's only hair, and nothing is forever.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^Thanks, Jennifer and you're right, classy & trashy are very subjective, which is why I didn't want to go down that road…
You're also right about the fact that it's only hair, so I probably shouldn't put too much thought into it :D

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Well, I get that it needs some thought- if you have delicate or difficult hair, you don't want to give it a reason to turn on you! :bigsmile: I have hair that you have to beat back with a stick, and over the years, I've concluded that it hates me... I can appease it sometimes, but mostly, it wins. :bigsmile: I do want some of it to be pink (it's red naturally and wouldn't take colour) and I am perversely pleased to see a streak turning grey finally - that streak is going to be coloured to my heart's content.

If you do it, post pics - I'd love to see!

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1427066180|3851093 said:
^I think you misunderstood… I wasn't being rude. I just meant that that the term trashy can mean different things to different people. I have my own definition, but understand that the definition of others might not be the same as mine and that's fine. I wasn't offended by her question and I hope that she wasn't offended by my response. It's all in good fun - no harm done - this is just a thread about hair :D
As far as caring what others think, I do, but that's not really what this thread is about. The thread was more about asking if others had pastel hair, upkeep, opinions, etc. and I'm glad that some members were able to share their experiences with it. I think that both Niel & Autumnovember look absolutely fabulous with pastel hair, but it's not a look that works for everyone.

I guess I'm not sure why you used the words trashy and classy then? You said in your original post you weren't sure you could pull it off and said that there was a fine line between trashy and classy that you didn't want to cross. Of course that's going to have people wondering what YOUR definition of classy and trashy are, in order to give their opinions on whether it would work for you.

Personally, I wouldn't do something that couldn't easily be fixed if you change your mind about it. With having blond hair you'd need to bleach it to get it back to your original color and that could be very damaging to your hair.

Also, does your place of employment have a dress code policy? Many employers have a stipulation that hair must be a "natural" color. I'd look into that, too, before you do anything drastic.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I love the ombre, pink, lavender and everything in between with fancy hair colors. I wish my hair was gray or light enough to do something fun with. I am inspired by seeing the photos you all have posted here. My only concern would be that I swim in a pool and wonder what that would do to any haircoloring. Anyone have experience with swimming pools and permanent hair dye? I know blonds can turn green from chlorine. But what about other colors?

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember your hair is just stunning, I wish I had hair like that! :love:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lknvrb4|1427192538|3851673 said:
Autumnovember your hair is just stunning, I wish I had hair like that! :love:

Ditto. You have gorgeous hair Autumnovember and I suspect anything you did to it color or cut wise you would still look gorgeous. :love:

Lil Misfit, I believe momhappy is a SAHM so no problems with her hair color or style at the workplace if you kwim. Unless her kids and dh object that is. :cheeky:

I think you need "edginess" to pull this color off and the confidence to do so. I think it is an awesome color for those who have that edge. When I was in college I had a chunk of my hair bright purple/pink and it looked good (if I say so myself lol). That was over 30 years ago though when I was still pretty edgy if you kwim. :bigsmile:

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Ooo talk about a nice confidence boost! I'm blushing. :) my older patients are the ones that compliment me most on my hair!! I wanted to add, my natural color is dark brown. It was a bit of a process to get to this color but my hair just does well with color. It doesn't really get damaged. I also don't wash my hair every single day and I suspect this plays a big role. I use good shampoos and conditioners. If you do this kind of color to your hair, ya can't go cheap on the products you're using in your hair! I'll have to post a shot of my natural hair color!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results