shape
carat
color
clarity

'Parti'/tri colored paraiba? (green, blue, pink)

toomuchB

Shiny_Rock
This seems to be a rather niche material, so I felt like sharing and hopefully learning something. I cannot afford this material at the quality and size I would want, at least not from the singular seller I found linked below. It goes without saying, any buyer should expect a trustworthy lab report for the origin premium and Paraiba designation. Anyway...

Example from their IG, where there are more of varying quality if you care to look:
parti tourmaline (2).png

Example from their site with details:
parti tourmaline (2).jpg

I also saw a slice of this material here, from a more familiar vendor.

Has anyone here seen something similar from other vendors or IRL?
Do you consider these true paraibas, considering the tri-color aspect?
Do you think a top lab would designate these as paraiba, considering the tri-color aspect?
I would be happy to read articles, academic or not, on this material. I couldn't find any.

toomuchB

Shiny_Rock
Appreciate your POVs. My gut instinct was the same as yours.

I contacted the dealer and they did half-get a Paraiba designation from GIA on the 0.35ct stone I shared above. The report stated that the 'violetish blue and green portion' may be called Paraiba in the trade, and the 'purplish pink', rubellite.

Then again I think labs are often too lax with these designations (like with super pale cuprian 'paraibas')

I would post the report here but the seller seems quite protective as they deleted the image shortly after I confirmed I was not interesting in purchasing. I conveyed the main info here anyway.

Right now I find the material super beautiful and interesting, whatever the label, but overpriced. I have seen Afghani tri colors online like this one, which may have potential (regardless, not buying anytime soon).

afghani.png

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Appreciate your POVs. My gut instinct was the same as yours.

I contacted the dealer and they did half-get a Paraiba designation from GIA on the 0.35ct stone I shared above. The report stated that the 'violetish blue and green portion' may be called Paraiba in the trade, and the 'purplish pink', rubellite.

Then again I think labs are often too lax with these designations (like with super pale cuprian 'paraibas')

I would post the report here but the seller seems quite protective as they deleted the image shortly after I confirmed I was not interesting in purchasing. I conveyed the main info here anyway.

Right now I find the material super beautiful and interesting, whatever the label, but overpriced. I have seen Afghani tri colors online like this one, which may have potential (regardless, not buying anytime soon).

afghani.png

That is a beautiful stone and yes, I completely agree with the bolder statement above.

As far as I know, there is no copper in Afghan tourmaline, but they’re often more beautiful than what labs deem as “paraiba.”

landscape

Shiny_Rock
The color range of Paraiba given by GIA: purple,blue,bluish-green,green,yellowish green, but a necessary condition is that the tourmaline contains copper. Peach and pink are not in the color range of Paraiba even with copper

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results