shape
carat
color
clarity

Part of Kenny's colored gem "collection"

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For this one Tanzanite, Spinel, Iolite, and Tourmaline have been mentioned.

vio1.png

vio2.png

vio3.png

vio4.png

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Great minds, Kenny.
I bought a garnet last week that looks much like your fantastic new diamond. I call it the Green Goblin. I'll post it in a new thread so as not to jack yours.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sapphire, tanzanite, spinel or tourmaline?

I love what this stone does with light.
Very luscious.

b1.png

b2.png

b3.png

b4.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay so this one . . . spinel, tourmaline, iolite or tanzinite?

Look at those strange lines in the first pic.
Is that graining?

r1.png

r2.png

r4.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So everyone felt these were all fire opals but one person suggest the one on the upper left, with the spots, was a sunstone, so the next post will have closeups of the weird one.

5orangies.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

DSC_0014.png

DSC_0016.png

DSC_0017.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

DSC_0026.png

DSC_0028.png

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm thinking the oval red stone pictured on your quarter is a Mexican Fire Opal - they have that cherry red translucent look. And maybe the vivid blue small round is a Kyanite and the small princess-cut blue is Iolite?

Are you sure this isn't the new Pricescope NAME THAT STONE game - I know I'm having fun playing...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The green stone is pretty scuffed up so I’m guessing it’s not a hardy stone; probably a chrome diopside which usually shows a very nice green in smaller sizes.
As for the pink stone, it is doubtful that the dispersion you see is from the faceting but rather from the internal inclusions. I don't think it is a morganite as those are usually pale to colourless in such a small size.
The step cut bluish square stone could be either iolite or tanzanite.
The little round blue could well be a blue sapphire; the colour is too blue for most blue spinels). Then again, because it is very small abd very blue, it could be a kyanite.
The larger grayish round has me stumped, could be iolite?
Hmmm….the weird one does look somewhat like sunstone, but the spots don’t look like the typical shiller to me either. :read:

dzop

Shiny_Rock
Green: I'd bet 99% chrome diopside, for same reasons as Chrono
Pink: I think I can get this one. The iridescence is a sign of conchoidal fracturing. Meaning you have a light pink stone with imperfect cleavage, meaning, odds are, it's a beryl: morganite.
Square blue: the hardest one to tell from the pictures, but easy in real life. Iolite is strong pleochroic, going to gray on the other axis. Tanzanite is also pleochroic, but doesn't go to grey. If you see the stone is grey on the part angled away from your eye, or greyer when tilted: you have an iolite. Otherwise: you have a tanzanite.
Little round blue: Very unlikely it's a kyanite, kyanite has very distinctive inclusions and zoning not present here. People are just throwing it out as an idea b/c kyanite is cheap and blue, but it doesn't fit well. That's a sapphire, IMO. Even see hints of growth lines in one of the pics. That one you can test with hardness--see if one of the quartz's scratches it or something like that. If it scratches, it's a kyanite. If not: sapphire. Too blue to be a spinel, not enough violet to be a tanzinite (assuming no violet on another axis that you're not showing us).
Large greyish round: could be iolite or a "steel" tanzanite, which JTV sells a ton of.
Possible sunstone: that's not shiller, and I have no idea what that is.

Chrono said:
The green stone is pretty scuffed up so I’m guessing it’s not a hardy stone; probably a chrome diopside which usually shows a very nice green in smaller sizes.
As for the pink stone, it is doubtful that the dispersion you see is from the faceting but rather from the internal inclusions. I don't think it is a morganite as those are usually pale to colourless in such a small size.
The step cut bluish square stone could be either iolite or tanzanite.
The little round blue could well be a blue sapphire; the colour is too blue for most blue spinels). Then again, because it is very small abd very blue, it could be a kyanite.
The larger grayish round has me stumped, could be iolite?
Hmmm….the weird one does look somewhat like sunstone, but the spots don’t look like the typical shiller to me either. :read:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to thank everyone for their kind and valuable assistance. :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results