shape
carat
color
clarity

Part of Kenny's colored gem "collection"

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
(No they are not all diamonds. :rodent: )

Can you help me identify any of these stones?
None of them are very valuable if that helps so I guess I'm asking which stones look like this and are low-cost.

All those black-looking stones on the right side in two rows are actually deep burgundy to crimson color - garnet?
I guess the top light blue are aquamarine and the lower green ones peridot perhaps?
I'd guess the purple ones, center and left, are amethyst.

The six orange ones on the left are opaque with sort of a creamy look.
I have no clue what they are.

The five black ones in the back are solid black. Onyx?
The tiny green oval in the front is a really rich intense green.
Might it be a demantoid garnet?
The clear ones . . . CZ?

I got this collection in one purchase, one of those stupid grab bag JewelryTV thingies about a year ago.
I know I know, I'm an idiot, a stupid sucker.
I think I paid under $100 IIRC.

It is fun to learn and loupe.
Many are poorly cut and included and or chipped.
But a few look really really nice, but what the hay do I know? :oops:
Even thought I'm sure there's nothing of value here It is amazing what they can put together for the price.

I'm just curious what I got.

I'll take close up, side or pavilion pics of any you request.
I bought another of these sets a few years ago and will take a pic if I find it in our disorganized house. :oops:

kennysCollection.png

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Part of Kenny's colored gem collection

They are a nice rainbow of color. IMO and just guessing from what I have in my gem dish; you are probably right on the garnets and peridot. I would say the blue are topaz as are probably the brown and colorless stones. The yellow are probably citrine. Some of the darker, opaque stones are probably low grade sapphire or spinel. I too started my gem collection (loose and jewelry) from JTV. I have since moved on but still have that channel on TV at work. :o

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

I didn't have any idea you had a colored gem collection, Kenny.

Did you get your molded diamond yet?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Not yet.
It'll be a few weeks.
I'm robbing some banks and mugging some more old ladies. :Up_to_something:

Oh and how in the world can they sell such a set so cheaply.

Dang, it took forever to set this pic up. ;(

kennylection.png

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are all guesses, but I think most of them are correct. This collection is comprised mostly of inexpensive quarz gems, topaz, olivine (peridot), and garnet I believe. Yeah, I could tell they weren't diamonds! ;))

Starting from the top row down,ignoring the single stone as a row, black spinel, or dyed onyx
row2: a combo of blue and colorless topaz
row3: blue topaz
row4: amethyst
row5: fire opal, amethyst and pyrope garnet (the creamy orange stones look to be fire opal, but I could be wrong)
row6: fire opal, spessartite and dark pyrope garnet
row7: smokey quartz and a citrine
row8: citrine
row9: peridot

the tiny gemstones in the bottom rows are too difficult to tell, since they're so small.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I am also guessing fire opal on the oranges, blue topaz or blue zircon on the blues...probably topaz. If they are really sparkly...zircon, not so sparkly topaz. Row behind the light blues...white topaz.

You may be able to tell single refraction from double refraction by eye, that can help narrow it down. If looking into the stone, you see two lines on the lower facts...double refraction.

Spess Garnet on the brownish oranges row next to the likely fire opals.

Oranges above the green row...Citrine, except for the ones with a grayish brown tint...thinking smoky topaz there...and on that big one.

If the last row is black, onyx. Can't tell if they are just really opaque.

Purples amethyst.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Even if they're crummy quality at least they're fun to play with and photograph.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot to mention that the tiny green one could be a chrome diopside which is an inexpensive green stone with a dark forest green color. If it's very glassy looking and doesn't appear to sparkle much, I would rule out tsavorite and definitely demantoid. You never see demantoids in a dark chrome green, unless they're very expensive, and since you obtained this gem collection so cheaply, my guess is it's chrome diopside.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m going to give my best guess as well since there’s nothing to lose (mere curiousity).
Top row: black spinel
White & Blue rows: blue and colourless topaz
Purple: amethyst
Creamy Orange: fire opal
Burgandy: pyrope garnet
Clear Orange: spessartite
Brown: smoky quartz
Yellowish Brown: citrine
Green row: peridot

The last few rows are iffier for me:
The blue could be tanzanite, green could be chrome diopside or tourmaline, the reddish pear could be either spinel or tourmaline.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oddoneout said:
Even if they're crummy quality at least they're fun to play with and photograph.

Agreed! Thanks for lining them up so beautifully!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
that's gonna be QUITE the tiara kenny! Might I suggest making one for your beau as well? haha :D

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tourmaline_lover said:
These are all guesses, but I think most of them are correct. This collection is comprised mostly of inexpensive quarz gems, topaz, olivine (peridot), and garnet I believe. Yeah, I could tell they weren't diamonds! ;))

Starting from the top row down,ignoring the single stone as a row, black spinel, or dyed onyx
row2: a combo of blue and colorless topaz
row3: blue topaz
row4: amethyst
row5: fire opal, amethyst and pyrope garnet (the creamy orange stones look to be fire opal, but I could be wrong)
row6: fire opal, spessartite and dark pyrope garnet
row7: smokey quartz and a citrine
row8: citrine
row9: peridot

the tiny gemstones in the bottom rows are too difficult to tell, since they're so small.

+1 - would agree with every one of the above and would reinforce that I'm 100% certain that the creamy orange stones are fire opal. The only different gem I would suggest is that some of the blue gemstones in row 2 or row 3 could well be Apatite.

In the UK you can buy sets like these containing a total of 50ct or 100ct of different gemstones from around £50-75. Typically they use all of the gemstones and you'll never (unfortunately) find anything remotely like a demantoid garnet. :((

By the way, does the top "black" gemstone have white veins running through it or is that just the photo?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds said:
By the way, does the top "black" gemstone have white veins running through it or is that just the photo?

Here's a close up.
Looks like this gem got into a fight with a porcupine and lost. ;(

splinters.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tiny ones in front.
Peridot included for color reference.
Maybe that will help identify the little greenie in the front.

822.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The orange ones.

orange.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny,
The new bigger pics help a lot:
1. Porcupine stone: rutilated quartz (with rutile needles)
2. Still unsure: could be a mix of spinels and tourmalines. My guess is the pink and the round blue could be spinels, and the green is a tourmaline.
3. Orange hazy stones: fire opal

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks all.

I was hoping the tiny ones in the front were fancier stones since there were not 20 of them and they are so small.

Any change that grennie is a low-end emerald?
I'll get more pics of it later.

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
I think the green is a tsavorite, or other green garnet.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
the green one looks more tsavorite like than emerald like.

The inclusions in the porcupine stone look (to me) more like tourmaline that rutile. I always (possibly incorrectly) associate rutile inclusions with more of a golden color and tourmaline with more of a black color.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny said:
Any change that grennie is a low-end emerald?

There is always the possibility but let’s just say it’s very low. :tongue:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny said:
Tiny ones in front.
Peridot included for color reference.
Maybe that will help identify the little greenie in the front.

The lower left blue one looks like a sapphire to me and I wonder if the square is an iolite. The blue on the right could be iolite or tanzanite. IMO I think the green in that row is too included to be tsavorite; maybe chrome diopside or tourmaline.

What others said on the fire opal and rut. quartz.

This is fun to name the gemstone. :appl:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Black with needles = rutilated quartz (absolutely 100%!)

Small green stone = most probably a garnet or diopside (very unlikely to be an Emerald - sorry :(( ).

Orange stones = Fire opals apart from the one at the back that looks more like a sunstone (i.e. the one that looks like it has small glittery bits and is at the back but face on in the picture).

Small pink pear shaped gem = could well be Kunzite or Morganite.

Small blue round (far left in the photo) = probably a sapphire

The other two more grey/blue stones = could be iolite.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont know what they are but they sure look pretty the way you had them all laid out.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree the porcupine stone is a tourmalinated quartz; the black stones are more than likely black spinel; the small pink pear could be a pink tourmaline; and I am almost certain the oval green stone is a Chrome Diopside. I agree with the rest of the IDs re: fire opal, citrine, spess, blue topaz/apatite, red garnet, possible iolite. Very artful arrangement of gems!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took some close ups of ones in question.
I think this is all of them.

I think I should have named this thread, "NAME THAT GEM". :lol:

07sevenstones.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do the inclusions help identify this stone?
So far the following have been mentioned chrome diopside, tourmaline, tsavorite, green garnet.

I mentioned emerald but I have a coflict of interest.
(Don't Colombian emeralds have inclusions like that? :praise: )
As far as that goes I'm positive it is a natural vivid green diamond. :bigsmile:
Anyone want to buy it? I'l GIVE it away for only $100,000, and I'll throw in a set of Ginzu knives and free shipping. :lol:

Close ups of others in question shall be going up shortly.

DSC_0003.png

DSC_0004.png

DSC_0007.png

DSC_0008.png

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With all the facet abrasion, I would say that's Chrome diopside. It's a pretty soft stone, 5.5 on the Moh's. I think those inclusions are in Chrome Diopside too.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spinel, tourmaline, Kunzite and Morganite have been mentioned for this pink pear.

Notice the area of rainbow colors of dispersion one the left side of the last 3 pics.
It almost looks oil floating on water.
Does this help identify the material?

pink1.png

pink2.png

pink3.png

pink5.png

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I dont think that is dispersion of the stone causing those colors. Rather they are the result of the interference of lightwaves reflecting between the sides of the sub-wavelength wide space of internal fractures. Much the same as the rainbow in an oil slick on water.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid said:
I dont think that is dispersion of the stone causing those colors. Rather they are the result of the interference of lightwaves reflecting between the sides of the sub-wavelength wide space of internal fractures. Much the same as the rainbow in an oil slick on water.

Wow, how freaky.
Look at my edit, I added the oil on water thing before I read your post.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results