shape
carat
color
clarity

Parents, will you send your kids back to school in the fall?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, we are sending her back to school in a few weeks. However, we are switching her from the public school system (which has been a complete shitshow as far as reaction to the pandemic) to a smaller, private school with fewer students and more space. She will be in 3rd grade; one of my concerns was that she'd have a hard time transitioning and making new friends, but it turns out that several of her friends from daycare and our social network attend as well. I feel a bit of hope now. A bit.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From Facebook today. I don't understand half of what she's required to do and I'm darn happy that I'm not a teacher. Common sense would dictate that some expectations and requirements would be lessened for the interim but common sense is becoming a rare commodity.

Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 8.06.50 AM.png

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From Facebook today. I don't understand half of what she's required to do and I'm darn happy that I'm not a teacher. Common sense would dictate that some expectations and requirements would be lessened for the interim but common sense is becoming a rare commodity.

Soooooo, except for maybe Fermat's Last Theorem, what's the big deal? :roll: (sarcasm, just in case anyone questions me, lol).

I think the governing entity in Texas (TEA) backtracked on opening when they got heckled for not opening their office until at least Jan 2021. Every parent I know bombarded Greg Abbott and the TEA with letters and phone calls.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sounds like what I have seen tossed around in this area. Teaching an online class is a full time job. Teaching an in person is a full time job. Demanding they do both at the same time is unreasonable. Expecting them to manage kids with masks, hand washing, etc from behind a barrier and unable to go near is laughable.

I sure hope common sense takes over soon! By all means, arrange for an in person setting for those who have to have that. Do the rest online to keep everyone as safe as possible. Have teachers who teach subjects that can't be done online shift to do a virtual social component or do the hands on teaching for those who need it or have them help with the other aspects of running in person and virtual.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lmao. My school actually discussed all of the ideas as a potential possibility!!! We are hoping we only be required to do half of these—the ones that we can do from home.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Time for teachers who can take early retirement to do so. Those are unreasonable requests/requirements. And let's not talk about teachers salaries. Yeah, do it all plus the impossible and all for meager wages. Unfreaking believable.

Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 1.26.41 PM.png

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

From what I understand with NYC (I could be wrong) those of us who qualify to work from home for medical reasons will handle all remote instruction, teachers in the buildings will not be responsible for that. I'll know more in the next few weeks.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it not normal for most states to have (already have had before the pandemic) an online virtual school system? I live in
Florida and we have had one for years. Its a great option for those that dont feel ready to send their kiddos back to school.

One of my DD's teachers (for geometry), recorded the first class of the day and just re-showed it to the other classes he
had the rest of the day. He also put it on youtube for anyone who was out sick. At first, I felt like he was cheating by not standing
up and teaching the other classes just like he did the first class of the day, however, as he showed the video he did add
additional info and stopped the video if someone had a question. Now, in light of the pandemic, I wonder if it wouldnt be
a good thing for all teachers to do and if it might make it easier for any students that are out sick. Might somewhat reduce the
amount of work for the teachers??? (Increases it in some ways but decreases it in others?) I'm not really sure.

mom2dolls

Shiny_Rock
Our district announced last night the kids will start the school year remote until further notice. I knew as soon as LAUSD announced last week, we weren't going back.

My daughter is sad but I honestly was relieved. I didn't realize how much I was holding my breath until I read the email. It is a tough situation with no right answer. Hopefully the kids and teachers can return to school safely before the end of the year with proper planning and procedures in place.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This sums it up for me.

980594EA-75C2-4565-A5A8-4C70634F8B4D.jpeg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So here are the options in my county

Go to your physical school (new format) - You will have 4 90-minute classes a day. You will complete a full year of 1 class in half a school year and will
get a different set of classes the second half of the school year.

- reduces exposures for students (4 classes vs the usual 7)
- if a student goes out sick with covid with a long recovery time they only screw up 4 classes instead of the usual 7
- less traveling in the halls due to fewer classes
(Unfortunately at this point wearing a mask is still not required.)

ELearning (new) - you will log on and be in a class with other students and a teacher (zoom?) Like regular school but its on-line.

- this would be for students that need more teacher input and needs a stricter schedule to follow

Virtual School (Existing system)- students work at their own pace with very little input from a teacher (unless they get too far behind or have problems)
All learning is self-guided. Student needs to be disciplined to do what is expected.

Sure hope we have enough teachers to cover all these formats without adding to their workload (they're already overworked).

My DD will be in the 10th grade and we decided on the Virtual School. She pretty much runs on her own at this point.

I think these are good options for older kids. It would be much harder to decide if I had younger kids and worked. Not sure what
I'd do? Perhaps find a way to work from home and do the ELearning for my younger kids? I know, not an option for everyone :(2.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I have a friend who is extremely disappointed bc our governor ordered all schools in certain counties to go online only. She sends her daughter to a private high school and was hoping that the smaller environment would result in a safer one so she is still willing to take a chance.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This map was posted on Daily Mail.

CT and FL, are the only ones so far with a full reopening. Overly optimistic or optimistically foolish, it blows my mind that they just think it should be business as usual. Not proud of my state.

IMG_9128.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CT and FL, are the only ones so far with a full reopening.

Figures reported for FL are that 31% of kids tested are covid-19 positive and obviously that figure will go up as more testing is done. With all the uncertainty about the long term effects of the virus on kids, I think it's reprehensible that any state would jeopardize so many lives this way.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Figures reported for FL are that 31% of kids tested are covid-19 positive and obviously that figure will go up as more testing is done. With all the uncertainty about the long term effects of the virus on kids, I think it's reprehensible that any state would jeopardize so many lives this way.

Agreed 1000%

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
My state is very tentative for reopening, so far it looks like a 3 tiered, color-coded system. More information will be forthcoming July 31st with two week increments between 'code' updates until Sept.. Definitely watch and see. Some counties have almost/no cases. They *may* open fully. I doubt the two most populated counties will.
Our Governor is also adamant that our reopening will be under state jurisdiction, she won't let Trump bully Maine.
* I still won't send mine back yet, I have to follow my gut and it says no.

Platinum-blonde

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This sums it up for me.

980594EA-75C2-4565-A5A8-4C70634F8B4D.jpeg

This mirrors my thoughts. A month ago, I was still planning on sending my kiddo back to school. He will be going on first grade and needs to bond with his teacher. He also has an IEP for his speech. He needs to go back.

However, we live in AZ, our numbers are horrible. With our governor’s (and president) lack of leadership, I don’t see them going down.

Yesterday, we enrolled him in the online education that the district is offering. The thought of that makes me queasy, but we can catch him up next year or during the summer. I’m not going to risk anyone’s life or long term heath.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@YadaYadaYada You forgot about Hawaii:lol:!

I'm in Florida and I can report its not business as usual. If you go back to my last post you can see what they are doing in my county.
(I'm not saying its good one way or the other but its not business as usual)

The other thing I was reading today is that for people who choose to attend the physical school and get sick (bad cold etc) with covid like
symptoms you will be sent home and can not come back for a minimum of 14 days. The other kids in your family are also not allowed at
school for 14 days either. This just sounds disastrous considering each day actually consists of 2 days worth of learning since they are going
to the 4 classes 90-minute block. That means a student will be out for basically 20 days worth of lessons (not counting weekends). I can see
parents wanting to send their kids anyway so they dont miss so much school. Just seems like its going to be a mess.:???:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops sorry Hawaii!

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is it not normal for most states to have (already have had before the pandemic) an online virtual school system? I live in
Florida and we have had one for years. Its a great option for those that dont feel ready to send their kiddos back to school.

One of my DD's teachers (for geometry), recorded the first class of the day and just re-showed it to the other classes he
had the rest of the day. He also put it on youtube for anyone who was out sick. At first, I felt like he was cheating by not standing
up and teaching the other classes just like he did the first class of the day, however, as he showed the video he did add
additional info and stopped the video if someone had a question. Now, in light of the pandemic, I wonder if it wouldnt be
a good thing for all teachers to do and if it might make it easier for any students that are out sick. Might somewhat reduce the
amount of work for the teachers??? (Increases it in some ways but decreases it in others?) I'm not really sure.

When we first went to remote learning in March I attempted to teach in real time. My set-up was a document camera connected to my computer that I could display in Zoom meetings. The students could see what I was writing on paper as I gave the lesson. This was supposed to emulate "chalk and talk" teaching which is something I do NOT normally do for an entire class. But, what choice did I have - I couldn't exactly run activities and group work through Zoom.

Well, even this fell apart quickly. Sometimes it was my internet that cut out, sometimes a student's, sometimes my voice wasn't clear, or my hand was in the way...it was so frustrating. Some students could not meet at the assigned time because they were busy taking care of younger ones while their parents worked from home. I switched to making videos and only holding meetings for asking questions. Very few students attended those, most because they didn't need to because the videos were enough but there were a few that just gave up. Students that did attend would not turn their cameras on and many wouldn't even use their microphones, preferring to type questions in the chat area instead. This annoyed me but I get it: teens don't want everyone seeing their disheveled hair in their messy rooms.

It was FAR more work than teaching in person and not at all satisfying. I dread starting a new school year remotely with kids I haven't even met - but I may not have a choice.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FAB19437-EABD-4BCA-9802-6587D2B7452B.jpeg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel for you @Maria D (and all teachers). I can imagine how difficult it is trying to switch to a new format (for teachers as well as students).

I would think videos would work better for higher classes (7th grade through 12th perhaps). I would think you would need emails/phone numbers
for all parents in case kids just quit doing their work. I know its not the best learning environment for most kids but its safe for all when there is
ongoing pandemic.

I wish you good luck (and good health) in this upcoming school year. You, and other PS teachers, will have to keep us posted on how its going.
Hopefully, this first semester/year will bear out what works best for students and teachers.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I think private school parents think they are immune to Covid. I have a friend who is fully supporting this lawsuit. She says life goes on and we can’t live in fear.

:wall: We are still awaiting our Governor’s decision...We have some plans in place, but that can all change in a heartbeat.
Do you know what your district is doing yet @nala ?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wall: We are still awaiting our Governor’s decision...We have some plans in place, but that can all change in a heartbeat.
Do you know what your district is doing yet @nala ?

Yes. We are only doing distance learning. Teachers can choose if they want to do so remote or on campus. For now. Lol

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This map was posted on Daily Mail.

CT and FL, are the only ones so far with a full reopening. Overly optimistic or optimistically foolish, it blows my mind that they just think it should be business as usual. Not proud of my state.

IMG_9128.jpg

I was on a teacher's union meeting call yesterday and although our administration has not told us anything at all about our reopening, the union people have been informed that every district in CT is currently planning on reopening with a hybrid model. This means the buildings will operate at 50% student capacity. Each district has to figure out how to do this. Gov Lamont originally pushed for full reopening, but this was before Trump came out with the same recommendation. Lamont is a Democrat and God forbid he agree with the president, so he recently backed down from his original order. The hybrid plan our district is considering sounds completely unworkable. I'm dreading returning to work.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results