shape
carat
color
clarity

Paraiba tourmaline candy ring and wedding bands (Starlanka and Madly gems)

ShulinaOY

Shiny_Rock
Hi, I'm writing this post (as requested) to share about my new ring as well as my experience with 2 vendors - starlanka and Madly Gems.
Warning this is a long post, so scroll to the information you need.

Starlanka
Located in Thailand.
Value for money and great customer service!
Though not all gems are of the best quality, that's what I like about them. They have what you need at every price range from seriously good clear and well cut gems to cheaper ones! I was initially abit skeptical about purchasing online, worried I would be given some blue stone instead of the paraiba I would be purchasing but person whom I was in contact with (Suhail) went out of his way to ensure that I felt comfortable with my purchase ie taking alot of photos in the different lighting as well as somehow arranging the sale in such a way I could do cash on delivery, meeting another contact at a local gem appraiser before paying the full price (that being said, I know this may not always be possible but since I have gone through this experience, I can say they are a legit company).

Suhail recommended me this gem: https://www.starlanka.com/product/pa0370/
There were a few other gems which I asked to look at, but under his recommendation, I took this one and I'm so glad I listened to his recommendation. This little gem glows like a lightsaber!
Images provided on the website are nice clear and true to colour in my opinion. Below are some images for you to make the comparison yourself.
starlank.jpg
Image from Suhail taken with his phone (my gem is the middle one)
WhatsApp Image 2020-10-20 at 10.30.25 AM.jpeg
Image taken using my own phone

After my gem purchasing experience with Starlanka, I also had them help me to make a pair of wedding bands. Starlanka will be unable to design rings but if you already have a design in mind, they are able to make it.
I gave them images of the ring that I liked and from there they made 3D images of it. One thing here that impressed me was that the ring was abit too tight and their customer service was top-notch. Suhail asked me to ship it back to Thailand (they provided the label) and upon realizing that it needed to be sized up 1.5 sizes up, decided to remake the ring instead of just sizing to ensure that the integrity of the ring was kept. All I can say is WOW and fantastic quality!
eb51622c-b042-456e-858c-da82c39a189c.jpeg 857b18e0-12ef-47d6-a868-bd514bd729fa.jpeg

Madly Gems
Located in Singapore.
Can be pricey but really carry gorgeous stones. Very skilled at design and great customer service. I decided to use this bespoke company for a few reasons, 1) they allowed me to set a main stone that wasn't from them, 2) their designs are unique and 3) they have 1 year warranty on the ring setting
So even though pricey, I cannot stop saying how wonderful they are and if I were to make something else, I will be willing to pay the price. I was not able to find these sort of design ideas anywhere else. So if you want something truly unique, pay the price, its worth it! Waiting time .... super long 12 weeks? BUT the end product... :kiss2:
My design consultant was Gina. She was great in listening to what we liked - penguins and cats and used what we felt we liked as inspiration for my ring.

a3c5ac89-e6db-4ad3-8de0-b8bea22bd2aa.jpeg
Gina put together these colours (tanzanite, paraiba, pink sapphire and diamonds) and initially I had wanted to make a ring that would contain my husband's and my birthstone but she was able to tell us that the colours wouldn't match so well and suggested with customize it in a different way by incorporating what we liked (thank goodness for that!).
Later she drew up the design which was tweak a couple of times until i was really happy with it.
31c5118e-ff88-4dac-8ed7-a6ad5b2bbee7.jpeg
She incorporated cats on the sides with the rose gold cat face (on my suggestion) and underneath the gem, a little plate with 2 penguins representing my husband and myself!
2221bc91-53d7-4c62-9a2f-c457bf326b68.jpeg 565cbee0-cb13-40b2-b20c-ab4020ac70a7.jpeg 6698d93d-04fb-4cf7-96cf-ce58291360b5.jpeg
Ring setting quality so far... its been 4 days of daily wear .. I will say its extremely good. Everything feels secure and solid (some of you readers may know the problem I faced with a different company)
Ring details for those interested to know:
Main gem: 2.71ct Paraiba tourmaline (8.87 x 7.75 x 6.02)
Side gems: Tanzanite, Paraiba Tourmaline, Pink Sapphire and diamonds.

Final words... Starlanka and Madly gems are excellent shops! I'm so glad that the wedding band fits nicely with either my engagement ring or my new ring from Madly!
c3a02722-5d60-4871-8052-acbc1d1b3726.jpeg c20c9d3e-a928-4747-ae5a-b388bfaa98f1.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh my goodness! What a creative and lovely project! Your ring is stunning, congrats!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!! So glad you made a thread for your rings!! I love every single detail of your Paraiba ring. The amazing colour combo... The sophisticated design... The pinguïns and cats and the glowy stone.

I also love the wedding bands! These are Paraibas as well?

You can make all dreamy combinations with your e-ring, wedding band and gorgeous Paraiba ring.

You could consider to also have a sturdy band made like your husband has, for rough days (holidays, swimming pools, sports etc). A bit of word of advice from a very old person

Thanks for sharing!!!

higanbanya

Shiny_Rock
Omg the rings look perfect! Thank you so much for the comprehensive review about Starlanka and Madly, I’ve seen both of these on Instagram and really loved their stones and designs but didn’t know a lot about them!

I absolutely loved the intricate details on the Madly ring, it’s such a sweet and memorable piece!

ShulinaOY

Shiny_Rock
Wow!! So glad you made a thread for your rings!! I love every single detail of your Paraiba ring. The amazing colour combo... The sophisticated design... The pinguïns and cats and the glowy stone.

I also love the wedding bands! These are Paraibas as well?

You can make all dreamy combinations with your e-ring, wedding band and gorgeous Paraiba ring.

You could consider to also have a sturdy band made like your husband has, for rough days (holidays, swimming pools, sports etc). A bit of word of advice from a very old person

Thanks for sharing!!!

Totally understand you! Fantastic advice I do have a different ring that's studier and cheaper which I wear when i'm rougher with my things. Its also a simpler ring which can be easily replaced.

Yup! They are paraiba... its supposedly brazilian paraiba melee. somehow i think the melee paraiba on the madly ring is brighter and more intense (though locality not confirmed). Starlanka did share the pics of the gems before setting them. So im not sure if after setting it kinda changes the colour. I must admit i was warned that melee paraiba may not be so intense.
8d984ffa-803a-4908-b006-df5182e700d2.jpeg 4fb8b6cf-f8bb-43e4-9410-8af184d121f2.jpeg

Last edited:

ShulinaOY

Shiny_Rock
Omg the rings look perfect! Thank you so much for the comprehensive review about Starlanka and Madly, I’ve seen both of these on Instagram and really loved their stones and designs but didn’t know a lot about them!

I absolutely loved the intricate details on the Madly ring, it’s such a sweet and memorable piece!

Hopefully the review will be helpful. I had a really hard time deciding whether to buy from Starlanka at first cause I couldnt find much about them and their prices were so much cheaper compared to the shops here in Singapore. Now, they are my favourite gem provider.
Madly really does have one of a kind designs! :kiss2:

HGar

Shiny_Rock
ShulinaOY, your rings are absolutely stunning :kiss2: enjoy wearing them.

ShulinaOY

Shiny_Rock
@Rad_Fan The update on the ring for the gem i posted a while back =)

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such pretty colours!

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful colors & how nice the designer could incorporate the cats & penguins!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
its been 4 days of daily wear

Try to be careful as tourmaline isn’t as hardy as some stones for daily wear. Also, don’t wear to gym or pool etc...

ShulinaOY

Shiny_Rock
Try to be careful as tourmaline isn’t as hardy as some stones for daily wear. Also, don’t wear to gym or pool etc...

Oooh thanks for the advice!
Yeah I take off when I go to the gym, shower, sleep etc.
Madly’s consultant also told me to be careful with heat as well! So no hot showers, hot yoga etc with the ring. XD

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just gorgeous! Bright neon stones like yours make me happy just looking at them. Yours will certainly turn heads.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
@Rad_Fan The update on the ring for the gem i posted a while back =)

Congrats! The ring has a very romantic vibe, love it.

The actual gem looks much better than those pictures with the white background on starlanka site, agree? I don't get why they posted the somewhat greyish blue Color Scheme next to your gem...

BTW, how did you contact them at the beginning, email?

ShulinaOY

Shiny_Rock
Congrats! The ring has a very romantic vibe, love it.

The actual gem looks much better than those pictures with the white background on starlanka site, agree? I don't get why they posted the somewhat greyish blue Color Scheme next to your gem...

BTW, how did you contact them at the beginning, email?

I think the website pictures seem duller than in person. Hahah I’m not sure about the colour scheme thingy because it doesn’t look blue grey in person. But I was quite happy that Suhail actually gave me photos and videos of the gem under various lighting before I made my choice. He also offered to do like a video call.

I contacted them at first because I was trying to get a simple appraisal on a gem I was interested in one of the shops in Singapore via email They gave an indicative range of the price of the gem and showed me examples on the website that would be equivalent to the gem I was interested. That made me realise that the shop (selling me the gem) were really overcharging. From there the conversation was migrated to WhatsApp when they showed me pics and videos of the gem I was interested from their website. If anyone needs, I can share suhail’s contact! He’s very responsive and really makes good recommendations.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous rings! The colors are to die for!

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
I think the website pictures seem duller than in person. Hahah I’m not sure about the colour scheme thingy because it doesn’t look blue grey in person. But I was quite happy that Suhail actually gave me photos and videos of the gem under various lighting before I made my choice. He also offered to do like a video call.

I contacted them at first because I was trying to get a simple appraisal on a gem I was interested in one of the shops in Singapore via email They gave an indicative range of the price of the gem and showed me examples on the website that would be equivalent to the gem I was interested. That made me realise that the shop (selling me the gem) were really overcharging. From there the conversation was migrated to WhatsApp when they showed me pics and videos of the gem I was interested from their website. If anyone needs, I can share suhail’s contact! He’s very responsive and really makes good recommendations.
Right? I don’t get it...lol

I did ask a question via chat but the person wasn’t really helpful. Let me check their site again for proper email contact. I might ask you for details if needed. Thanks for sharing.

Have I told you that the setting of your ring is awesome yet delicate!? :love:

ShulinaOY

Shiny_Rock
Right? I don’t get it...lol

I did ask a question via chat but the person wasn’t really helpful. Let me check their site again for proper email contact. I might ask you for details if needed. Thanks for sharing.

Have I told you that the setting of your ring is awesome yet delicate!? :love:

Hmmm mine wasn’t by the chat on the website. Would you like the contact I use? (Suhail)

Thank you! My large paraiba ring? It’s abit large, no? But the wedding bands yes! Kinda vintage and romantic. I absolutely love it. Pairs so well with everything.

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
It's an absolutely gorgeous and unique set of rings, and I feel not just beautiful but your personality shines through. Your review is very helpful. I was looking at Starlanka recently and I appreciate your point about them carrying gems for every budget. I really like that. I can't imagine a more gorgeous, glowing, and high clarity paraiba. Congratulations!!

ShulinaOY

Shiny_Rock
It's an absolutely gorgeous and unique set of rings, and I feel not just beautiful but your personality shines through. Your review is very helpful. I was looking at Starlanka recently and I appreciate your point about them carrying gems for every budget. I really like that. I can't imagine a more gorgeous, glowing, and high clarity paraiba. Congratulations!!

Thank you! Yes I was really hoping to bring that point across. Not all of us can afford the biggest, brightest, clearest stones but we can all still love and wish to own one :).
I was torn between another paraiba which I heard from the sales guy the colour was even better but it’s even larger than this whopper.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ShulinaOY your rings are so beautiful! I can't get over how amazing and joyful the colors are. Do you have any closer photos showing the stones along the shank or photos showing the cat face?

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
Oh wow!!!! These are divine :kiss2: the colour.....:love:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! ❤️ Yup! I love the colours a lot!

Here, I tried to take a close-up but it’s difficult cause it’s quite small.

That is adorable, and I love all the personal details you've put into the ring.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! I really like the wedding band!

ShulinaOY

Shiny_Rock
That is adorable, and I love all the personal details you've put into the ring.

Thank you! Yeah we have a cat at home who is very much integrated into my hubby and my life! I’m glad we managed to incorporate her into my ring. The beauty of customised rings is that they are not just pretty, they are meaningful to the wearer!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, missed this thread. Paribas are kinda unbelievable and your rings and those stones are other worldly. They make a beautiful set. Congratulations!

Such fun and unique pieces. And that blue is just unreal. And I love the different ways you can stack them. They're all so pretty!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results