shape
carat
color
clarity

Paper Ring and CAD - would love opinions and suggestions!

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, I have got another thread but wanted a new one just to perfect this CAD and would love any suggestions!

2.32 F si1 (totally eye clean) emerald cut to be set in a halo. Im toying with adding tapered baguettes to each side and having no diamonds on the band.

I made a paper ring to gauge how it will look and compared it to my 1.55 princess set in a big halo with airline. This new ring will NOT have an airline.

Would I add a tilt to the halo to avoid the flying saucer look or is this not important with a EC?

The CAD shows 1 pointers in a the halo (1.3mm) and double claws. I think the claws need to be made a tiny bit smaller so the don't extend over the diamond as much. Should I go to 1/2 pointers or up to 1.5 pointers?

I also want diamonds on the stems and donut (they havnt fixed this yet).

Are there any other vital things Im missing? Should add or remove?

Platinum vs white gold?

What style of halo? Bead set or???
Thanks!!!!

_33226.jpg

_33227.jpg

_33228.jpg

Attachments

• au0018-cad_r01692_lauren_king_.pdf
    104.7 KB · Views: 68

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Paper Ring and CAD - would love opinions and suggestions

I have been looking at emerald cut diamonds in the 2 ct range and also settings, so I am interested in your project!

Are you not having cut corners on your halo? I love cut corners on an EC halo.

Platinum...90/10 iridium or 95/5 ruthenium

Yes to tilt of halo.

Are you planning to wear a wedding band with the ring? If so, are they making it so a band can be worn with it? I would be concerned about diamonds on the doughnut if a band would touch it.

I like antique style rings a lot, so I'd do bead set with milgrain.

My one concern other than the cut corners is that I don't think I'd do baguette side stones if you do a halo. I like those with an EC solitaire.

Can you just show us the CADs? It's hard to comment on melee size without seeing the CADs.

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock

Oops sorry I forgot CAD

_33231.jpg

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock

I personally love a tilted halo, so I would definitely change that. I am having trouble picturing the baguettes next to the halo, but it doesn't mean it would look bad.

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks for your replies! Im awaiting on the revised CAD.

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock

I have received the revised CAD which added diamonds to stems and donut. Im unsure whether the CAD program can actually add the tilt and Im still unsure what angle to use.

Ive attached magnified pics of stone, CAD and GIA cert.

_33363.jpg

Attachments

• au0018-cad_r01692_lauren_king_1_2__3_1.pdf
    109.6 KB · Views: 88
  • _112.pdf
    579.9 KB · Views: 81

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Your diamond is stunning! :love: drool worthy! :cheeky:

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock

thanks Mayk!! Can I ask, are you/were you able to open the GIA cert and the CAD? My computer is being awful to me.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock

Gorgeous diamond! :love: :love: :love:

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock

Hopefully these attatch....

_33366.jpg

_33367.jpg

solgen

Brilliant_Rock

What cad program are you using to design rings?

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock

It's a jeweller in Brisbane QLD Austalia - I'm not sure what it's called.

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock

Lauren!!! I just came here to say I am sooo excited about your new project! It's going to be insanely gorgeous! What are the exact dimensions of your stone? The cert was too small when I tried to read it... I was just curious what size pointers you are going with? I never even paid much attention to step cuts prior to PS, and now find Emeralds and Asschers among my faves. So happy for you!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would have the EC set lower where the girdle of the stone is almost flush with the halo. And yes, the CAD can and should show a tilted halo.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

laurenk|1439776234|3915413 said:
thanks Mayk!! Can I ask, are you/were you able to open the GIA cert and the CAD? My computer is being awful to me.

Yes. I opened both.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Is the donut under the stone round or rectangular?

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock

Hi everyone, I truely appreciate your fine eyes for details!
Trulove - the CAD shows 1 pointers (1.3mm) diamonds in halo. And slightly smaller on the stems and donut. Centre is 8.64 x 6.45.

Chrono - I will ask them to revise this and lower the diamond and return with new CAD.

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock

Hi niel - I can't tell from the CAD re round or rectangular. Aesthetically is there a preference?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

laurenk|1439844734|3915735 said:
Hi niel - I can't tell from the CAD re round or rectangular. Aesthetically is there a preference?

I would want the shape to mimic the shape don't halo, myself.

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks again! I eagerly await the new CADS. Ill check re donut Niel too and see. I have also asked that the show me a CAD with 1/2 pointers in halo and 1.5 pointers in halo just so I can really make a good decision as to what size halo suits best.

Any other opinions/suggestions would be most welcome! I wish I could get an ASET done on this stone but I cant. I think the numbers look good but I also know that's not a guarantee on its performance....

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you cannot return the stone, it's too late to worry about its light performance. This is why I don't comment on stones that the buyer plans to keep or is no longer refundable. I've seen many ECs with "perfect numbers" that don't perform.

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Chrono,
totally understand that. We are limited in Australia which is so annoying. If I play with it in sun and different lighting and am happy with its fire then I suppose that's ok.

Hi Molly, I did ask for 2mm shank and they've done 1.65mm but ill definitely make it at least 2mm. Thanks for reminding me :)

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock

Still waiting on new CAD! Hopefully Monday. And..... Funnily enough I went into a local jeweler today just to browse and funnily enough they had a 2ct emerald cut with a 1.5 pointer halo!!!!!! It was the best thing to try on and really get a feel for the halo size!!! I think 1.5 pointers are too big. I am having the CaD sent showing 1/2 pointers and 1.5 pointers anyway just to really see!!! Will post soon!!

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock

laurenk|1440134604|3917066 said:
Still waiting on new CAD! Hopefully Monday. And..... Funnily enough I went into a local jeweler today just to browse and funnily enough they had a 2ct emerald cut with a 1.5 pointer halo!!!!!! It was the best thing to try on and really get a feel for the halo size!!! I think 1.5 pointers are too big. I am having the CaD sent showing 1/2 pointers and 1.5 pointers anyway just to really see!!! Will post soon!!

Awh, Lauren, did you take any pics? Would LOVE to see the halo with that size stone!! Curious, why not consider 1 pointers (1.3 mm)? Sounds like a compromise between 1/2 pointers and 1.5mm? I'm eager to see your new CADs, been followinh your journey!

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Tru! The CAD in this post shows 1 pointers already, and I wanted to make sure I didn't want to go bigger or smaller so they're going to kindly do CAD showing me each. I think the one pointers will be perfect.

The silly lady would not let me take a picture. So annoying. I'll go back and hope for another sales assistant so I can sneak a pic!

Funnily enough I still am worried about finger coverage.... Sounds stupid but I want to ensure this definitely looks and feels bigger than my current ring..... I know you totally get that! That being said, the metal and airline in my princess halo drives me crazy so once this emerald is set perfectly and tight with no airline I think the quality overall will mean the ring looks so much better.

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock

Oh, perfect! Yes, if you can see the CADs with all options, it would be ideal! Yes, hoping another sales rep is more flexible, lol!! I TOTALLY get the finger coverage issue, I am often torn between 1 pointers and 1.5mm for the same reason :think:

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock

BTW- I don't know how I missed that your original CADs were 1 pointers? Sorry about that!

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock

It's soooo hard isn't it!!! If I can sneak a pic I will post immediately!!! No worries - don't apologise - it's hard to tell from the cad :)

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock

Lauren, not sure if you are still considering baguettes or not, but I found this image. My personal opinon? I love your current CAD. This image shows much larger melee in the halo, but provides a good idea.

_33483.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results