shape
carat
color
clarity

Painting trim (baseboards) need advice, pics included!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2009 3:42:20 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier

Date: 4/23/2009 3:14:11 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Wow, that is impressive Lauren. I''m hoping TGuy is secretly really handy and has been keeping it under wraps this whole time.

I think Sony is the way to go for TV''s/projectors. I get discounts on the stuff so it is the only brand I will buy for TVs. In other areas, Sony doesn''t have the quality, but TVs are still pretty darn good.

I am going to have to come back and ask you about that screen when we move...I would love to have something like that.
Discounts on Sony, you say?
11.gif

My husband''s a total brandwhore when it comes to Sony. Until we bought the Sammy plasma, my husband had a 32'' Sony HD CRT that we ended up giving to my sister and soon to be brother in law since they didn''t have a TV over 16'' when she moved out here. I really, really miss that TV.
2.gif

There are tons of plans out there for DIY screens - if you''re husband''s a total Videophile, he may not like the DIY thing, but we just used curtain black out(the white backing) and 1x2s and metal brackets. I''ll try to look for the link so I have it ready when you need it.
3.gif
It will be awhile Lauren, we can''t find an affordable house to move into!

Sony still has great quality products. Not all of them, but electronics are good. I''d say TVs and camcorders is where they shine. I opted to buy a Canon P&S and Nikon DSLR, because I don''t care for Sony in Cameras. My dad would only buy Sony TVs...a big deal since he actually didn''t care to support the Japanese (but Korean products were pretty crappy back then).

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2009 3:33:57 PM
Author: BizouMom

Date: 4/23/2009 3:10:11 PM

Date: 4/23/2009 1:07:47 PM

Date: 4/23/2009 12:40:24 PM

Date: 4/22/2009 6:43:01 PM

Date: 4/22/2009 6:23:05 PM
Author: hlmr
Beau13, I find it very un-Canadian like, the way you are so boastful. Why do you need to constantly be insisting that everything about you, what you do, how you look, where you live, the laws where you live, etc., are better than everyone else. It is great to be confident and patriotic, and admittedly sometimes we Canadians are not enough so, but to put down others in the process is very painful to read.

Why do you ask for opinions? Why not just ask for people who like what you have done to your home to chime in? You were incredulous that others could ''hate oak'', and then in the next breath you say you ''hate cherrywood''. You ask someone to share pictures of a room in her home, and then you don''t even comment after she takes the time to do so. If someone tells you what you want to hear, they are your new best friend. How high school is that?

Narcissistic tendencies are fine sometimes, but not all the times. Treat others as you would like to be treated!!
OMG, the truth is out. Beau is actually an AMERICAN!

(ducking)

Anyway, back to the thread at hand, I did want to comment on Lauren''s media room - I meant to tell you that I love it! You made that screen yourself?
6.gif
36.gif
Thank you, TGal! The pics could be a bit better of the layout of the room, and there''s no art on the walls yet, but just getting the darn projector hung was the most pressing matter, and we pretty much just stopped decorating the room after that.
2.gif

The screen rocks, though. My husband found this DIY step-by-step guide and so we attacked it. Cost us about $60 in wood and supplies, and we have a custom screen with brown velvet that matches the colour of the couch and chaise.
1.gif
That is awesome Lauren, I''m really impressed. It is so cool to be a handy crafty couple eh? I can''t imagine how much money it saved you and it looks really really good! When we move (whenver that is), I want to look into screens/projectors. Not sure how the picture compares to a plasma or LCD. We have a HD CRT and even though it weighs a ton, it blows away the picture on every TV I''ve seen yet. Too bad it''s just 36''!
Thank you again, TGal!
4.gif

I''m 100% impressed with our Sony Bravia 1080p projector. The picture is crisp and clear, and it''s pretty bright in normal lighting conditions. We intentionally painted the room chocolate brown and added drapes to block out as much light as possible. We don''t even go to the movie theatre anymore because that couch is the most comfortable thing I have ever sat on in my life - velvet and 35'' deep - it''s like sitting on our cats, it''s so soft!

HD CRTs are awesome, picture-wise! But, yeah - they take up some room, but the picture is often much better than you can do with a plasma or LCD unless you go with a Pioneer Kuro.
2.gif

As far as being handy - I''d like to give that nod to my husband. I just pick the fabric/design, and help him by holding piecess together so he can nail them together.
9.gif

This is our last weekend project - a bench for a couple of our plants that were under attack by slugs.
Lauren, please tell us where you got that gorgeous couch. I love everything about it.
Thank you, BizouMom!

Sadly, the couch has been discontinued, but we bought it, and the chaise, at Zgallerie. I mis-spoke before - the couch we ended up buying is like 42" deep.

Either way, I highly recommend their couches. They''re all kiln-dried hardwood, and the pieces I have are holding up VERY well. And we abuse them!
6.gif

http://www.zgallerie.com/c-57-sofas.aspx?pagenum=0

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2009 3:47:13 PM

Thank you, BizouMom!

Sadly, the couch has been discontinued, but we bought it, and the chaise, at Zgallerie. I mis-spoke before - the couch we ended up buying is like 42'' deep.

Either way, I highly recommend their couches. They''re all kiln-dried hardwood, and the pieces I have are holding up VERY well. And we abuse them!
6.gif

I agree! Ours is zgallerie too. I didn''t expect it to wear as well as it has (it''s been 5 years now). So deep and comfy. I got the floor model which had been on the floor for a very short time for some reason. 800 for the couch and 400 for the chair. Pretty nice discount!

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Thicker white baseboards (door frame and molding).

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, BizouMom!

Sadly, the couch has been discontinued, but we bought it, and the chaise, at Zgallerie. I mis-spoke before - the couch we ended up buying is like 42'' deep.

6.gif

Thanks, Lauren. Off to zgallerie...

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Double check any warranty info on Zgallerie as they have filed for bankruptcy and are closing many stores. I sure love their store though and hope they can make it through these hard times!

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/23/2009 5:09:04 PM
Author: heraanderson
Double check any warranty info on Zgallerie as they have filed for bankruptcy and are closing many stores. I sure love their store though and hope they can make it through these hard times!
Noooooooooooooo!!!!! I puffy heart ZGallerie!!!! I sooo hope they make it!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2009 5:30:14 PM
Author: luvmyhalo

Ditto. I love stopping in there, they have so MUCH eye candy!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2009 5:48:51 PM
Author: Gypsy

Date: 4/23/2009 5:30:14 PM
Author: luvmyhalo

Ditto. I love stopping in there, they have so MUCH eye candy!
Yikes! I didn''t know about them filing for BK. Was it Chapter 11 or Chapter 13?

Good idea, Gypsy . . . maybe I''d better go buy all of my accesories now!
6.gif

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Say it ain''t so!!
I haven''t heard this.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2009 6:26:50 PM
Author: bebe

Say it ain''t so!!
I haven''t heard this.
Seriously, Bebe! I think I see a mini shopping spree coming on!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was in there last week and restraining myself. Maybe that was a mistake
11.gif

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2009 6:46:32 PM

Date: 4/23/2009 6:26:50 PM
Author: bebe

Say it ain''t so!!
I haven''t heard this.
Seriously, Bebe! I think I see a mini shopping spree coming on!
Ditto, but not unless it is seriously on sale. DS is going to summer school in Norway and that is gobbling up
my recreational shopping funds,
2.gif
But who says I can''t go look! (right)

beau13

Ideal_Rock
I''ve added a few pics of the progress in this room. We purchased wider baseboards/trim which I painted ivory. I added a few new accent pieces as some suggested, and I really like the contrast, and cleaner look of the new trim.

new trim in fam room 1.jpg

beau13

Ideal_Rock
I added a couple of darker (chocolate brown) panels for the window (still have to replace the trim around the patio door..next week). I think it gives the room more balance, than in the previous pics with the lighter panels only (thanks to whomever suggested the darker curtains).

new trim and curtains.jpg

beau13

Ideal_Rock
I added the same lighter panels in the far window, and we will be replacing the oak fireplace with slate !

new trim in fam room 3.jpg

blingmyring

Shiny_Rock
love the trim and the darker panels
36.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock
After arranging the furniture several different ways, we decided we like it best in it''s original position. Here is the view you have when sitting, watching TV, the fireplace and reading area will be a separate space within the room.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
The white trim makes a huge difference. Good choice.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Ooops..forgot the pic! (sorry)

new trim in fam room 2.jpg

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/5/2009 2:21:30 PM
Author: princesss
Yes, the off-white trim does add a little something, I like it so much that next week I will tackle the foyer and replace the trim/baseboards there as well.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/5/2009 2:25:17 PM
Author: beau13

Date: 5/5/2009 2:21:30 PM
Author: princesss
Yes, the off-white trim does add a little something, I like it so much that next week I will tackle the foyer and replace the trim/baseboards there as well.
Nice! I would definitely look at maybe adding crown moulding around the top, too. I think it could add some elegance to the room, while still keeping it modern. (Just think of how nice the bottom looks now, and add that finished, polished look to the top!)

But then, I am a moulding junkie...

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I much prefer the ''after'' shots. Looks way more cohesive.
36.gif

Did you buy wider baseboards/skirting boards or add trim to the top of the existing ones? I imagined 9+" boards so was surprised that they were not much taller. That said I think the white painting REALLY works to join the room.

Great job Beau.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
That makes a huge difference...looks great, crisp and clean!!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks great Beau, it makes a big difference.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/5/2009 3:01:26 PM
Author: Steel
36.gif

Did you buy wider baseboards/skirting boards or add trim to the top of the existing ones? I imagined 9+'' boards so was surprised that they were not much taller. That said I think the white painting REALLY works to join the room.

Great job Beau.
I think the trim is about 1 1/2 inches wider..not a whole lot (wanted to see more wall, less trim). All new, we didn''t add, I didn''t change the trim around the doors, hubby thought it would look odd to have wider trim there. I''m happy with the width around the doors (it tends to jump out at you now for sure!)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beau, your house looks fabulous
36.gif
Very nice!

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Love the contrast of the new trim with your wall color! Looks great!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/5/2009 3:18:56 PM
Author: beau13

Date: 5/5/2009 3:01:26 PM
Author: Steel
36.gif

Did you buy wider baseboards/skirting boards or add trim to the top of the existing ones? I imagined 9+'' boards so was surprised that they were not much taller. That said I think the white painting REALLY works to join the room.

Great job Beau.
I think the trim is about 1 1/2 inches wider..not a whole lot (wanted to see more wall, less trim). All new, we didn''t add, I didn''t change the trim around the doors, hubby thought it would look odd to have wider trim there. I''m happy with the width around the doors (it tends to jump out at you now for sure!)
I see. Again, it looks great.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Sweet! I think with the slate fireplace you''ll end up with the nice modern look that you were after
1.gif

Just one leeetle hint. Putting furniture on the diagonal (like your desk in the corner) isn''t a good look. It sort of went out with Christopher Lowell in the 90''s.

Other than that, I''m loving it....especially the wall color
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results