shape
carat
color
clarity

Painting trim (baseboards) need advice, pics included!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 10:40:20 PM
Author: FrekeChild
You know, something else is bothering me. The placement of the sectional in front of the fireplace is awkward too.

Can we get pics of the rest of the room?
Yeah Beau, this might be something to address. Usually a fireplace is a focal point in a room. Do you have another seating area/grouping, that we can''t see, facing
the fireplace? If not, then your fireplace is losing it''s importance in the room, behind the sectional.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 11:39:06 PM
Author: bebe
Date: 4/20/2009 10:40:20 PM

Author: FrekeChild

You know, something else is bothering me. The placement of the sectional in front of the fireplace is awkward too.

Can we get pics of the rest of the room?

Yeah Beau, this might be something to address. Usually a fireplace is a focal point in a room. Do you have another seating area/grouping, that we can''t see, facing

the fireplace? If not, then your fireplace is losing it''s importance in the room, behind the sectional.

That''s what I couldn''t quite put my finger on! The fireplace behind the furniture. And I agree about the end tables.

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
I definitely agree that more substantial baseboards painted an off-white will look great.

I see that there is window trim throughout the room as well that I would paint also.

Be careful though, once you start painting the trim in one room, you typically have to continue it throughout rooms that are open to one another. Whitby is right, crown mldg is next!

I would actually paint the fireplace as well but if you cringe at the thought, staining it dark would look fine.

I like the color scheme you've chosen but I agree that it something is missing.

I think since the room is large and you have a sea of cream carpet, the dark furniture seems like its floating in the room.

I would put a large area rug (at least 8x10, possibly 9x12) to add some more color and it will also define and anchor the seating area.

Fun project!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I don't think I would stain the fireplace a darker color, it would become a sea of dark brown furniture. I like the idea of some crown moulding, I think it would add some more architectural interest. At this point, I would be more concerned about furniture placement and bringing in some color. I normally don't like the idea of a rug on carpet but do think it would anchor the room like luvmyhalo said. I would do some of these things first before I painted the trim, because right now, I think it's adding a little variety to the room and it matches your fireplace. If you painted your fireplace white, I would then paint the trim white.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
The putty color of the walls really seems to clash with the warm oak(maybe its just the lighting in the pic?) so I would definitely paint the baseboards and the fireplace. You said you didn''t want to paint the fireplace but staining it would would just add too much dark brown to the room. I''m not sure that the oak will raise the value of your home... you may want to double check that. And really, if you paint the baseboard then I would continue it throughout the house or level to keep it uniform. Also, the fireplace is really considered a focal point so you should consider rearranging the furniture to reflect that. Since you don''t seem to ever have a budget, maybe put an LCD television above the fireplace instead of having the boxy one... that way the tv AND fireplace become a focal point.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 7:50:41 PM
Author: upgrade
I''m not a lover of oak either for anything other than flooring... I tend to dislike wood trim except in craftsman style homes (I''m in Canada too- Craftsman must not be big in your area? We have a ton of them, old and new, on the West Coast).

I agree with Tacori and Whitby that oak trim tends to look dated. If I were you I''d paint all the baseboards/trim an antique white... and I''d paint the fireplace too, but that''s just me. I have dark stained oak floors with white baseboards/wainscotting and it''s a fabulous combo- makes the floors and wall colour really pop.

Threadjack- Whitby- I love your house!

thanks beau, upgrade and Freke :) it''s a really comfy house with lots of character which we''ll probably be working on over the next 5 years. it''s our 13th home and we''ve bought a lot, renovated/extended, and sold. it''s just a hobby/interest, tho as i get older, i have to say that the house which needs NOTHING done to it is looking more and more appealing!

and beau - just to reiterate - i think the wide baseboards idea is great, and the cream finish will look fabbo! i love what you''ve done with the space, and i dont feel you need to refinish the fireplace in any way. it''s just a question of personal taste, but i think all the earth tones in your room look all the richer for having a little natural colored wood. rather than stain, have you thought of waxing? that brings out the natural patina of the wood and gives it a nice, rich surface with a low, natural sheen. and if you use bees wax, it smells great too. :)

beautiful home! :)

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
This is just my observation and not an insult with regards to your decorating choice but here goes. I think your wall color and carpet color are too close. That is why the baseboard is calling you. It's begging for a more distinct division between wall, floor and ceiling. One thing to do is make the walls darker or a different color (I know you just painted). Another thing is to add a large bright colored area rug. That would draw the eye to the floor and furniture. Right now my eyes are drifting around with no place to settle. Matching pillow and a throw to tie in the new color. I hope this makes sense.

Personally I prefer white baseboards too. But your furniture is beautiful and it's very cozy looking room.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 1:01:06 AM
Author: oobiecoo
The putty color of the walls really seems to clash with the warm oak(maybe its just the lighting in the pic?) so I would definitely paint the baseboards and the fireplace. You said you didn't want to paint the fireplace but staining it would would just add too much dark brown to the room. I'm not sure that the oak will raise the value of your home... you may want to double check that. And really, if you paint the baseboard then I would continue it throughout the house or level to keep it uniform. Also, the fireplace is really considered a focal point so you should consider rearranging the furniture to reflect that. Since you don't seem to ever have a budget, maybe put an LCD television above the fireplace instead of having the boxy one... that way the tv AND fireplace become a focal point.
You're right..I think hubby mentioned that....buying a LCD for the wall above the fireplace, hen swinging the furniture around differently. Putting the existing TV (5 yrs old) in the basement, when we finish that room (right now, it's a little hockey arena for the kids)
19.gif

The room is too big to take a pic of the entire room, but I'll try to take a few pics today of the different parts of the room. The way the furniture is now looks fine, because the fireplace is the focal point of the other part of the room, where a chair is (reading area). There are two doors as I mentioned, one going to the jacazzui tub room, the other to the basement, so you can't place furniture in front of those doors. You'll see what I mean with the new pics I will post! As for wall color (whomever mentioned that it was too close in color to the carpet), it's just the lighting of the pics. It's actually darker, and the interior designer I hired suggested the color, I 2nd it! She also made a floor plan for which the placement of the furniture was chosen. As for area rugs..thanks for the suggestion, but I think rug on rug looks odd! The carpet is brand new, and I don't want to cover it up. Stay tuned for more pics! Thanks for the suggestions! Gonna have fun loooking for TV's today I think, thanks OooooB! Oh..the Oak..yes, in my neck of the woods..people who are looking at homes in the $ 400- $500 000 price range expect oak cabinets (or hardwood) in the kitchen. Not these IKEA type cabinets (laminate) that I've seen some builders use..yikes!! The railing we removed from the staircase were oak, we were told to keep some of it, and incorporate wrought iron spindles to modernize it..does it ever look great!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beau, that is interesting that oak is still popular in Canada. Where I live higher end homes have cherry or maple. We put 12" baseboards in our old house and it looked amazing. Since budget is not an issue you should put up crown too (at least single). Really raises the ceilings.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 9:11:34 AM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Beau, that is interesting that oak is still popular in Canada. Where I live higher end homes have cherry or maple. We put 12'' baseboards in our old house and it looked amazing. Since budget is not an issue you should put up crown too (at least single). Really raises the ceilings.
Hi Tacori, that is generally the case in Canada too! Especially for kitchens.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
You have a beautiful home! I think the off-white trim would look great! It''s hard to say whether or not anyone would really notice the difference in trim color between floors.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Here is another view, you can see the doors I mentioned, one leads to a bathroom, one to the basement.

the fam room 1.jpg

beau13

Ideal_Rock
The jacuzzi room that is off the family room (was just redone at Christmas), need to repaint, wondering if I should continue with the cooler colors of the family room, or leave it as is..warmer colors..light yellow, deep red accents ??
33.gif

jacuzzi room.jpg

beau13

Ideal_Rock
another view

the fam room 2.jpg

beau13

Ideal_Rock
The soon to be reading area. We are waiting on the dark brown leather chair, which will be centered more in front of the fireplace, with a colorful throw & cushions, adding the side tables, and I need window treatments still.

the fam room reading area.jpg

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Last picture! You can see the patio door (sorry about the bright light coming through)
So..for those who wondered about furniture placement, I still think the sectional looks best where it is, since there is a patio door (being changed to a garden door this summer, and might be made larger), a large window, 2 doors, and another window, and fireplace to consider when placing the furniture in this room. Now that I look at the pics, I can totally see the lighter ivory colored trim. Going shopping for the baseboards tomorrow..yeah! Thanks for all the input ladies!

fam room patio door.jpg

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 10:53:15 AM
Author: Kelli
You have a beautiful home! I think the off-white trim would look great! It's hard to say whether or not anyone would really notice the difference in trim color between floors.
Thanks Kelli..I am going to do it..off-white trim it is!!
The new oak baseboards on the other levels of the house will remain though (I posted pics in this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/house-pics-updating-oak-as-mentioned-in-my-previous-thread-about-trim-color.113161/ )
I don't think it will look odd..different levels of the house are entitled to be just that..different!
31.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Builder''s oak is always going to look like builder''s oak, no matter how you try to dress it - up it''s dated. I''d paint it all out, fireplace and all.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Thought I''d post a "Before pic"..a whole different look for the family room.
I get bored of furniture/decor every 4 or 5 years..so this furniture and wall decor, is now being enjoyed by a friend! (who loves when I redecorate! lol)

family room B4.jpg

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Beau- looking at those other pics, I think the trim is screaming to be heavier and white/off white. It''ll do a lot for your wall colour. I''ll try to snap a few pics of my darker hardwood/white trim later today but I''m just running out now. (and can I just say that I''m jealous that you can find a nice, liveable home for $400 000 - 500 000! That''s fantastic!)

It''s interesting how people have different tastes/expectations in different areas. Oak here certainly wouldn''t add value to a home- it would add a project! I wouldn''t say that oak is popular still in Canada as a whole- it''s certainly not on the West Coast. I don''t know where Beau lives so maybe it''s still ''in'' in that area. There are still some people out there who love it, but new homes here tend to have cherry or maple cabinets too, or even hickory. We have a lot of newer ''West Coast'' style homes that use natural materials including wood trim, but it''s often red cedar. The vast majority of homes here have white baseboards and trim. Oak hasn''t been big in the Vancouver area since the early-mid 90''s. It''s still often used as a flooring material for its durability but even then, it''s no longer honey coloured in most cases- it tends to be a darker stain. For kitchens and other cabinetry, if it doesn''t get replaced, it gets painted! My mother has an oak kitchen that we are just DYING to paint but she''s of the old school ''you don''t paint wood'' mentality.

Whatever is ''in'' or ''out'' the bottom line is that you should love your home and use the materials that make you happy.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 12:36:05 PM
Author: upgrade
It''s interesting how people have different tastes/expectations in different areas. Oak here certainly wouldn''t add value to a home- it would add a project! I wouldn''t say that oak is popular still in Canada as a whole- it''s certainly not on the West Coast. I don''t know where Beau lives so maybe it''s still ''in'' in that area. There are still some people out there who love it, but new homes here tend to have cherry or maple cabinets too, or even hickory. We have a lot of newer ''West Coast'' style homes that use natural materials including wood trim, but it''s often red cedar. The vast majority of homes here have white baseboards and trim. Oak hasn''t been big in the Vancouver area since the early-mid 90''s. It''s still often used as a flooring material for its durability but even then, it''s no longer honey coloured in most cases- it tends to be a darker stain. For kitchens and other cabinetry, if it doesn''t get replaced, it gets painted! My mother has an oak kitchen that we are just DYING to paint but she''s of the old school ''you don''t paint wood'' mentality.

Whatever is ''in'' or ''out'' the bottom line is that you should love your home and use the materials that make you happy.
Ditto. We have white baseboards and trim, with maple floors and ash cabinets. Maybe I''ll get some pictures later too...

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regardless of what is in or out in different areas of the country, personal taste counts too. I have a lot of oak in my house that came from when we lived on the west coast. You''re right, it was a 90''s thing there. We moved here in 97 to a brand new house with light maple everything. Well, 12 years later, that house is incredibly dated, because now, everyone wants cherry. You can''t please everyone, so unless you''re renovating to sell, anything goes IMO, when done nicely. Beau isn''t selling her house, she''s living there and loving it. Wish I had a house I loved as much! I''m in a different house than the 97 one, and we have solid oak kitchen cabinets that were custom made. My husband says we''ll have to paint them to sell the house. These are new doors, mission style. It doesn''t bother me so much because we want to sell and it won''t be ours any longer.

Anyway, good luck with the baseboards. Crown moulding is beautiful, but is a neverending thing if you go that route (as we are). I wouldn''t paint out the fireplace. I would paint the window/door surrounds and make them wider. Are you having french doors installed that swing out to the garden? That gives you a lot of options for furniture placement if so.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 12:51:53 PM
Author: lyra
Regardless of what is in or out in different areas of the country, personal taste counts too. I have a lot of oak in my house that came from when we lived on the west coast. You're right, it was a 90's thing there. We moved here in 97 to a brand new house with light maple everything. Well, 12 years later, that house is incredibly dated, because now, everyone wants cherry. You can't please everyone, so unless you're renovating to sell, anything goes IMO, when done nicely. Beau isn't selling her house, she's living there and loving it. Wish I had a house I loved as much! I'm in a different house than the 97 one, and we have solid oak kitchen cabinets that were custom made. My husband says we'll have to paint them to sell the house. These are new doors, mission style. It doesn't bother me so much because we want to sell and it won't be ours any longer.

Anyway, good luck with the baseboards. Crown moulding is beautiful, but is a neverending thing if you go that route (as we are). I wouldn't paint out the fireplace. I would paint the window/door surrounds and make them wider. Are you having french doors installed that swing out to the garden? That gives you a lot of options for furniture placement if so.
See..and I hate cherry (maybe for cabinets..possibly), but my MIL has so much cherry in her home (beds, cabinets..tables), I find that looks dark, not my taste!

Yes, french doors, garden doors..whatever style my husband chooses. They will be great..the family room is level with the yard, and patio, so it will be a nice change from the sliding doors.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is mahogany "in" ? That's my favorite. I guess more for furniture, though... we have lighter floors, don't know what they are (maybe bamboo?? they're that color, at least), but I like them.

I know nothing about wood or decorating
3.gif
I was just telling Freke that my decorating ability probably maxes out at re-creating pictures of rooms that I like. If I were left completely to my own devices, rooms would probably end up looking disjointed - like our mish-mash of college and hand-me-down furniture now... our living/kitchen/entry/dining room-in-one
20.gif
has darker stained pine (coffee and dining tables), cherry (entertainment unit and DVD cabinet), painted white (installed kitchen cabinets) AND "toffee glazed" maple (extra free-standing kitchen cabinet). At least the stuff that we could control (smaller ticket items like paint color, decorative pieces, etc.) are well coordinated. That's about all we have going for us in this apartment!

beau13

Ideal_Rock
The putty color of the walls really seems to clash with the warm oak(maybe its just the lighting in the pic?) so I would definitely paint the baseboards and the fireplace. You said you didn't want to paint the fireplace but staining it would would just add too much dark brown to the room. I'm not sure that the oak will raise the value of your home... you may want to double check that. And really, if you paint the baseboard then I would continue it throughout the house or level to keep it uniform. Also, the fireplace is really considered a focal point so you should consider rearranging the furniture to reflect that. Since you don't seem to ever have a budget, maybe put an LCD television above the fireplace instead of having the boxy one... that way the tv AND fireplace become a focal point.
Checked & double checked!!
emthup.gif

Isn't that great..not having to worry about a budget ? God bless my husband!! What size TV do you have Ooobie?? Mine is only 5 years old..do you replace yours more frequently than that? Just curious, since my "boxy" TV doesn't get turned on a whole lot...maybe the new one (flat screen) would?? Or it might just be for show?? The focal point? I always thought TV's were not supposed to be the focal point anyway?? (from the design mags I've read).

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 2:06:23 PM
Author: beau13

The putty color of the walls really seems to clash with the warm oak(maybe its just the lighting in the pic?) so I would definitely paint the baseboards and the fireplace. You said you didn''t want to paint the fireplace but staining it would would just add too much dark brown to the room. I''m not sure that the oak will raise the value of your home... you may want to double check that. And really, if you paint the baseboard then I would continue it throughout the house or level to keep it uniform. Also, the fireplace is really considered a focal point so you should consider rearranging the furniture to reflect that. Since you don''t seem to ever have a budget, maybe put an LCD television above the fireplace instead of having the boxy one... that way the tv AND fireplace become a focal point.
emthup.gif

Isn''t that great..not having to worry about a budget..God bless my husband!! What size TV do you have Ooobie?? Mine is only 5 years old..do you replace yours more frequently than that? Just curious, since my ''boxy'' TV doesn''t get turned on a whole lot...maybe the new one (flat screen) would?? Or it might just be for show?? The focal point? I always thought TV''s were not supposed to be the focal point anyway??
Traditionally, they''re not supposed to be the focal point, and the folks at AVSforums will burn you alive for doing it, but in some living room/family room arrangements, the most logical place to put the TV is over the fireplace. However, with you being in Canada, I''m assuming you use your fireplace more than we do in TX, so you may want to check with someone about heat output in regards to the longevity of the TV.
2.gif

We have a 50" plasma over our fireplace, and shrinkage set in for my husband within 1 year. That''s when the plans for the media room started upstairs. We now have an HD projector and an 85" screen that my husband and I made on a Saturday afternoon sometime over Christmas in 07.

Quite honestly, Beau, if you guys hardly ever watch TV in that room in the first place, I''d just remove it altogether, or get a ceiling mounted projector and make/or have made a custom drop down movie screen.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 2:15:15 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier

emthup.gif

Isn''t that great..not having to worry about a budget..God bless my husband!! What size TV do you have Ooobie?? Mine is only 5 years old..do you replace yours more frequently than that? Just curious, since my ''boxy'' TV doesn''t get turned on a whole lot...maybe the new one (flat screen) would?? Or it might just be for show?? The focal point? I always thought TV''s were not supposed to be the focal point anyway??
Traditionally, they''re not supposed to be the focal point, and the folks at AVSforums will burn you alive for doing it, but in some living room/family room arrangements, the most logical place to put the TV is over the fireplace. However, with you being in Canada, I''m assuming you use your fireplace more than we do in TX, so you may want to check with someone about heat output in regards to the longevity of the TV.
2.gif

We have a 50'' plasma over our fireplace, and shrinkage set in for my husband within 1 year. That''s when the plans for the media room started upstairs. We now have an HD projector and an 85'' screen that my husband and I made on a Saturday afternoon sometime over Christmas in 07.

Quite honestly, Beau, if you guys hardly ever watch TV in that room in the first place, I''d just remove it altogether, or get a ceiling mounted projector and make/or have made a custom drop down movie screen.
I just suggested this to my husband a couple nights ago. Seen it in a newer home we looked at (one you buy a ticket to win the home)..anyway..I think the one big wall as a TV screen is fabulous. Just need to figure out how to attach the projector to the ceiling..and my ceiling would be prefect, as it''s a bit lower in one spot above the sectional, and ..thanks for that great suggestion!! Getting excited now!! Would love to see pics of your media room Lauren!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 2:55:10 PM

Date: 4/21/2009 2:15:15 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier

emthup.gif

2.gif

We have a 50'' plasma over our fireplace, and shrinkage set in for my husband within 1 year. That''s when the plans for the media room started upstairs. We now have an HD projector and an 85'' screen that my husband and I made on a Saturday afternoon sometime over Christmas in 07.

I just suggested this to my husband a couple nights ago. Seen it in a newer home we looked at (one you buy a ticket to win the home)..anyway..I think the one big wall as a TV screen is fabulous. Just need to figure out how to attach the projector to the ceiling..and my ceiling would be prefect, as it''s a bit lower in one spot above the sectional, and ..thanks for that great suggestion!! Getting excited now!! Would love to see pics of your media room Lauren!
Sure - our loft functions as our media room for now, but we built the house knowing we wanted to do this, so we had the builder install smurf tubes in the ceiling, down to the wall. Looking back, we should have had the smurf tube exit be on the wall adjacent to the screen, but power cords/HDMI cables would have had to be LONG!!!!!

So, first the screen. My husband and I made it by using curtain black out for the screen, and cutting 2x4s at 45 degree angles, upholstering them, and then attaching them.

MediaRoom3.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
And the couch/media cabinet.

MediaRoom1.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not all cherry is stained the dark reddish color. It is actually a very beautiful wood.

While you are changing the baseboards I would beef up the window casings too. That will add a great deal.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results