shape
carat
color
clarity

Painting trim (baseboards) need advice, pics included!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 3:54:50 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Not all cherry is stained the dark reddish color. It is actually a very beautiful wood.

While you are changing the baseboards I would beef up the window casings too. That will add a great deal.
Indeed--our bed is a natural stained cherry and the grain is just gorgeous!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 4:05:19 PM
Author: ladypirate

Not all cherry is stained the dark reddish color. It is actually a very beautiful wood.

While you are changing the baseboards I would beef up the window casings too. That will add a great deal.

Also I love the feel of cherry wood. It is SO smooth. My ILs have cherry cabs in their kitchen and it is a medium brown color.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 4:14:35 PM
Date: 4/21/2009 4:05:19 PM

Author: ladypirate

Also I love the feel of cherry wood. It is SO smooth. My ILs have cherry cabs in their kitchen and it is a medium brown color.
We also had American Cherry floors and cabinets and they actually start out quit lite and darken every so slightly to a med. color, I too love the beautiful grain and the soft feel of the wood---really lovely! I am assuming most people think of the dark reddish stained wood, when you say cherry!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Beau-I too think heavier woodwork is in order, whether it be painted(I love bebe's suggestion of a slightly darker tone to the wall color) or a different stain. Redoing your fireplace would also look nice, as well as a new furniture arrangement and a few more accent pieces.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I love big white trim around windows and floors. It just seems so finished. I''d have ceiling trim everywhere if I could afford it. We have oak here and there and will be putting in an oak floor but instead of being log cabin-ish, I add shabby white wood accents or dark metal pieces and it comes off more Tuscan or even French country. In any of my rooms, the colors and accents could be interchanged. It seems to flow better that way. We do have very large white trim around everything. My husband is a builder so he gets to see in some really nice houses and bring some inspiration home.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Beau....before I touched the baseboards, I would scrape that popcorn off the ceiling. Now that dates a room! Ick.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 6:15:01 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor
Beau....before I touched the baseboards, I would scrape that popcorn off the ceiling. Now that dates a room! Ick.
LMAO!! Now you sound like my husband.
I guess it bothers him more than me, he''s already got a guy lined up to come and resurface the ceiling. Good eye, way to pay attention to detail Italia!!
I''ll miss my moon ceiling!!
15.gif

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 2:06:23 PM
Author: beau13
Date: 4/21/2009 1:01:06 AM

Author: oobiecoo

The putty color of the walls really seems to clash with the warm oak(maybe its just the lighting in the pic?) so I would definitely paint the baseboards and the fireplace. You said you didn't want to paint the fireplace but staining it would would just add too much dark brown to the room. I'm not sure that the oak will raise the value of your home... you may want to double check that. And really, if you paint the baseboard then I would continue it throughout the house or level to keep it uniform. Also, the fireplace is really considered a focal point so you should consider rearranging the furniture to reflect that. Since you don't seem to ever have a budget, maybe put an LCD television above the fireplace instead of having the boxy one... that way the tv AND fireplace become a focal point.
Checked & double checked!!
emthup.gif

Isn't that great..not having to worry about a budget ? God bless my husband!! What size TV do you have Ooobie?? Mine is only 5 years old..do you replace yours more frequently than that? Just curious, since my 'boxy' TV doesn't get turned on a whole lot...maybe the new one (flat screen) would?? Or it might just be for show?? The focal point? I always thought TV's were not supposed to be the focal point anyway?? (from the design mags I've read).

Beau, my husband and I don't own a single television. We watch movies sometimes on our computers but we haven't had a tv now for a few months. We really like it!

You are right, a tv shouldn't be the focal point but since you already seem to have your furniture arranged around yours then I just thought an LCD above the fireplace would do double duty... ya know? Or, like Lauren said, just remove the tv all together since you hardly watch it. Heat from the fireplace may be an issue but there are probably ways to deal with it.
1.gif

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/21/2009 7:04:34 PM

I guess it bothers him more than me, he''s already got a guy lined up to come and resurface the ceiling. Good eye, way to pay attention to detail Italia!!
15.gif
This is something that doesn''t bother me one bit. Our bathrooms, kitchen and entire finished basement have plain smooth ceilings (what do you call it when there''s no texture??). Our bedrooms, L/R and F/R have texture that is very low, certainly not old fashioned "popcorn" like we have had in some houses. Anyway, I definitely wouldn''t go to the trouble to take it down as it''s a major hassle and expensive. Fine if your husband wants to do it, or you''re doing new construction, but this is something that I wouldn''t even look at when buying a house. Maybe because I''m not that wrapped up in what design show people say, as they usually have big budgets or the shows are giving something away for free.

And wah! There''s so much to do in my house it''s depressing me.
39.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 10:12:36 PM
Author: lyra

Date: 4/21/2009 7:04:34 PM

15.gif
This is something that doesn''t bother me one bit. Our bathrooms, kitchen and entire finished basement have plain smooth ceilings (what do you call it when there''s no texture??). Our bedrooms, L/R and F/R have texture that is very low, certainly not old fashioned ''popcorn'' like we have had in some houses. Anyway, I definitely wouldn''t go to the trouble to take it down as it''s a major hassle and expensive. Fine if your husband wants to do it, or you''re doing new construction, but this is something that I wouldn''t even look at when buying a house. Maybe because I''m not that wrapped up in what design show people say, as they usually have big budgets or the shows are giving something away for free.

And wah! There''s so much to do in my house it''s depressing me.
39.gif
Just do it a little at a time Lyra, start with one room, or one project. It doesn''t have to get done all at once (unless you''re Beau''s husband..lol)
It took 3 weeks of almost everyday shopping just for one room..paint, accesssories, furniture, curtains..etc. I was exhausted and thought.."that''s it for awhile now"..but when you feel up to the next project, tackle it then. I''m already excited to buy the trim, and install it. Afterward I''m not sure if I''ll feel up to painting the foyer. I love doing little things around the house, but if you''re someone who doesn''t enjoy it, I can see how it could become overwhelming!! Write down what you think MUST be attended to first, what you really need done, and perhaps tackle that first?? Good luck, keep us updated with your progress.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Popcorn ceilings bother me too. I made DH scrape them off in our old house. Makes a huge difference. It is cheap just labor intensive (and messy). Believe it or not (at least in the US) buyers DO notice things like that. But since you aren''t planning on selling anytime soon just do the finishes *you* love.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2009 10:03:56 AM
Popcorn ceilings bother me too. I made DH scrape them off in our old house. Makes a huge difference. It is cheap just labor intensive (and messy). Believe it or not (at least in the US) buyers DO notice things like that. But since you aren''t planning on selling anytime soon just do the finishes *you* love.
Tacori, we did the same thing in our old house. the popcorn ceilings drove us NUTS! it was exhausting work and very messy, but it made an enormous difference for us as well. when we started looking for a new house popcorn ceilings were a dealbreaker. we refused to undertake that again, and we couldn''t bring ourselves to live with it either. as a matter of fact, oak was a dealbreaker for us too... but i have to say beau you have done a good job working with it! and i think using wider boards and painting them will add some dimension to your room, good decision.

Camille

Shiny_Rock
Popcorn ceilings bother me too. I made DH scrape them off in our old house. Makes a huge difference. It is cheap just labor intensive (and messy).
Glad someone else pointed out the popcorn, talk about messy removal, my best friend had hers removed not long ago, OMG thank G for prep guys, otherwise the 'dust' from it goes everywhere
14.gif

My .02 here:
I'd love to see white, crisp oil based [fade resistant/easy to clean] baseboards and matching [in size-- $avings] crown molding same color to tie up the look, def would paint the fireplace/window trim the same....
Those gorgeous couches are screaming for some pillows, colorful ones. Same goes for the carpet, screming for boulder colorful rug, the larger the better, a thow and one-sided panel on the patio door.
Green please? 1-2 6' would soften corners for sure, perhaps a fern or even a potted orchid over the fireplace.
--since there's no full picture of the room-- fireplaces are focals, I wouldn't block it w/furniture, perhaps moving the Lcouch where the chaise chair is? or TV? Love chaise ones w/throws on them
19.gif

Def not an oak fan, but all naturals are beautiful, great job.
2.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 3:44:29 PM
Author: Camille

Popcorn ceilings bother me too. I made DH scrape them off in our old house. Makes a huge difference. It is cheap just labor intensive (and messy).
Glad someone else pointed out the popcorn, talk about messy removal, my best friend had hers removed not long ago, OMG thank G for prep guys, otherwise the ''dust'' from it goes everywhere
14.gif

My .02 here:
I''d love to see white, crisp oil based [fade resistant/easy to clean] baseboards and matching [in size-- $avings] crown molding same color to tie up the look, def would paint the fireplace/window trim the same....
Those gorgeous couches are screaming for some pillows, colorful ones. Same goes for the carpet, screming for boulder colorful rug, the larger the better, a thow and one-sided panel on the patio door.
Green please? 1-2 6'' would soften corners for sure, perhaps a fern or even a potted orchid over the fireplace.
--since there''s no full picture of the room-- fireplaces are focals, I wouldn''t block it w/furniture, perhaps moving the Lcouch where the chaise chair is? or TV? Love chaise ones w/throws on them
19.gif

Def not an oak fan, but all naturals are beautiful, great job.
2.gif
WOW..you''ve got a list!! lol
Well..the carpet is brand new (installed months ago..I don''t know anyone who puts in a bright colored carpet anymore..the color I chose will go with everything and anything..resale value again). So..it''s staying! lol
I don''t do "oil based" anything..too hard to remove!
Crown moulding is too formal for the cozy family room, living room perhaps!
I just bought the cushions for the sofa, the green/blue really pops in real life (might look faded in the pics), so they are staying too!
I don''t know what a one-sided panel is (for the patio door), but the panels I bought are linen, and add to the casualness of the room. They were only $100, so I would consider buying new ones perhaps in a few months. If I could find some great fabric I love, I would make them!
I may move the furniture around, if I buy a new TV for the wall..but as it is..there is no better place for the current TV. Thanks for the suggestions (and more) regarding paint choice for the trim.
28.gif

Oh yes..almost forgot..maybe in the pics the ceiling looks like propcorn, but I looked at it last night, up close & personal..it''s not that bad..just a hint of texture. Anyway..hubby has something else in mind..so I will leave it to the pros to remove and re-eautify the ceiling!!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Aside from being ugly, popcorn ceilings can contain asbestos depending on the year your home was built.

I also think that your brass fireplace should be refaced using a natural stone and a thick ornate white mantel to breathe new life into the space. I feel that brass also dates a home. I understand it was very popular and "wealthy" looking years ago (my parents still have touches of it...and it drives me nuts)...but modern homes, or at least updated homes, tend to have more brushed nickel and oil rubbed bronze finishes.

As far as the baseboards are concerned....if you have oak thru your home, you''re best off maintaining the consistancy. I''ve looked at the pics of your home, and it screams traditional to me from the red/wine wall to the oak, and boxy iron railing. I would not recommend going off course with that design if you''re not going to redo you''re home in its entirity.

Thick white baseboards are more modern and fresh, which in theory goes against a traditional feel. Someday you''re going to want to sell your home and it''s going to appeal to a certain class of buyer...varying too much from a "core" design idea will hurt you. People will love one floor but hate the other because they aren''t cohesive, it won''t "feel" fluid. If your home is going to be turn-key for someone, then it has to be totally seamless.

I would suggest sticking with the oak... which is fine in your home, refacing the fireplace (like I mentioned) to something more current but still keeping in the traditional feel of your home and stripping the ceiling of it''s health hazard.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 4:04:59 PM
Aside from being ugly, popcorn ceilings can contain asbestos depending on the year your home was built.

I also think that your brass fireplace should be refaced using a natural stone and a thick ornate white mantel to breathe new life into the space. I feel that brass also dates a home. I understand it was very popular and 'wealthy' looking years ago (my parents still have touches of it...and it drives me nuts)...but modern homes, or at least updated homes, tend to have more brushed nickel and oil rubbed bronze finishes.

As far as the baseboards are concerned....if you have oak thru your home, you're best off maintaining the consistancy. I've looked at the pics of your home, and it screams traditional to me from the red/wine wall to the oak, and boxy iron railing. I would not recommend going off course with that design if you're not going to redo you're home in its entirity.

Thick white baseboards are more modern and fresh, which in theory goes against a traditional feel. Someday you're going to want to sell your home and it's going to appeal to a certain class of buyer...varying too much from a 'core' design idea will hurt you. People will love one floor but hate the other because they aren't cohesive, it won't 'feel' fluid. If your home is going to be turn-key for someone, then it has to be totally seamless.

I would suggest sticking with the oak... which is fine in your home, refacing the fireplace (like I mentioned) to something more current but still keeping in the traditional feel of your home and stripping the ceiling of it's health hazard.
Thanks..I did not know that. WOW. No worries here, my home is fairly new..a decade or so..no asbestos, sure of it!!
Again, only a 12 yr old home..so the oak was (still is) popular not all THAT long ago!
I don't think my home is traditional..everyone tells me how modern it looks. To me, tradtional is wallpaper, floral sofas (ick), not leather..colored carpet..the navy and rose colored walls, floral borders that were here when I moved in!
We have redone EVERY room of the house "in it's entirety" Everything has been done in the past two years! . When I say entirety, I mean, central air, life breathe system, new windows, new roof, new Trane (the best) furnace, new tiles and wood floors in every room. New toilets, counters, sinks, cabinets, for all 3 bathrooms (which are all to die for!) New appliances in the kitchen, new kitchen counters, sink, faucet, tile backsplash.New wall color for the entire house..phew..there is nothing left to do other than the trim/baseboards, new garden door , and..maybe the one ceiling!
It was done to my specific tastes..and I'm proud of how great it all looks! I know for a fact, that after spending maybe $ 80 000 on reno's I can sell this house as is..for about $ 200 000 more than we paid 5 years ago. BUT..I love it too much to let someone else enjoy all the beauty and quality (very well built house)this house has to offer! If, IF..for whatever reason I decided to sell..I'm pretty confident this house will sell in days..we've already been approached from people wanting to buy, and it isn't even for sale!
Oh yes..the wall is rich red (not burgundy) the suggested color last season from my Benjamin Moore expert, and the "boxy railing" is OOoooh so elegant and modern looking, according to all who have seen it!! It adds a little bit of flair that everyone else's home in the neighbourhood lacks! (cookie cutter style homes, as someone mentioned) Traditional would be the wooden spindles that used to exist!
K..off I go, my brass/oak fireplace needs a good polishing!
35.gif

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
Oh lordy Beau, why did you even ask for opinions? People have taken a lot of time to respond and have given you some great advice. You seem quite snarky in your responses when people give you constructive criticism. Just thought you''d like to know how you come across in case you''ve ever wondered why so many people seem to dislike you.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 4:31:50 PM
Author: luvmyhalo
Oh lordy Beau, why did you even ask for opinions? People have taken a lot of time to respond and have given you some great advice. You seem quite snarky in your responses when people give you constructive criticism. Just thought you'd like to know how you come across in case you've ever wondered why so many people seem to dislike you.
No, I've never wondered why a handful seem to "dislike me", but the feeling is mutual...so no loss of sleep here!
2.gif

I asked for opinions on the trim..not every last detail of the room.
I do thank all those genuine, sincere members who gave their opinions and advice..much appreciated. I did decide to go with wider, off-white trim, so again, thanks for the suggestions! Nothing furthur to discuss then, so can the mods please lock this thread? Thanks

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
WOW! What a sad Thread!!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I guess this thread proves that everyone has different taste and clearly not everyone''s idea of modern is the same. But you did ask for advice and that is what was given. Not understand the need to lock it so you have the last word.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 4:44:38 PM
I guess this thread proves that everyone has different taste and clearly not everyone's idea of modern is the same. But you did ask for advice and that is what was given. Not understand the need to lock it so you have the last word.
I feel the same way. It does seem odd that you would be so upset over advice given in earnest
7.gif
I can't imagine why anyone would take the time to write out their thoughts on this unless they thought it could be helpful. What would be the point, you know?

No one really cares what your home looks like as it is of no concern to us strangers in the internet void, people just saw an opportunity to (hopefully) be helpful and wanted to do so. How you accept/deflect advice is entirely up to you, but I can imagine that it is frustrating to those who offered their advice to have it questioned/criticized/tossed aside simply because you may find it insulting (which really should not be the case - it is decor, not an extension of your persona).

Even when I'm given advice that I "don't want to hear," I am still grateful for it, because it is meaningful to me that someone would take a moment to share their thoughts - good or bad. There is a kinder, gentler way to say "thank you, but I respectfully disagree."

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 4:55:31 PM
Author: musey

Date: 4/22/2009 4:44:38 PM
I guess this thread proves that everyone has different taste and clearly not everyone''s idea of modern is the same. But you did ask for advice and that is what was given. Not understand the need to lock it so you have the last word.
I feel the same way. It does seem odd that you would be so upset over advice given in earnest
7.gif
I can''t imagine why anyone would take the time to write out their thoughts on this unless they thought it could be helpful. What would be the point, you know?

No one really cares what your home looks like as it is of no concern to us strangers in the internet void, people just saw an opportunity to (hopefully) be helpful and wanted to do so. How you accept/deflect advice is entirely up to you, but I can imagine that it is frustrating to those who offered their advice to have it questioned/criticized/tossed aside simply because you may find it insulting (which really should not be the case - it is decor, not an extension of your persona).
I think for some people who are really into decorating and take this much pride in it, it might just indeed be an extension of their persona. Looking at Beau''s house, I think it fits what personality we know of her from PS.

Anyway, I figure there''s an oven in that oak filled kitchen of hers, so I would hope she could take the heat.
2.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 4:59:55 PM
Author: TravelingGal
I would hope she could take the heat.
2.gif

Obviously not. But I agree that Beau''s house looked exactly how I pictured it!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Asking for advice means you will get all sorts of replies. Some are helpful some may not be to YOU. Decorating is a very personal thing. I don't love oak, but others love it. But at least be courteous to those that have taken time out of their day to respond to you, whether you like what they say or not... Yanno??
33.gif

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
I have to say that I haven''t been around for long but I really see what people are saying. Beau asked for opinions, and then shot down every single one that wasn''t what she wanted to hear. A more gracious person would have simply said ''thank you for taking the time to give me your thoughts'' rahter than what to me amounted to "you''re wrong, and here are all the reasons and dollar amounts why.'' Tacky, tacky, tacky...

Beau, it should be enough for you to love your home. You shouldn''t need the contant ego stroking from strangers to make you feel superior.

And as a fellow Canadian, I have to ask you to please stop saying things like we don''t have Craftsman homes in Canada. You''ve made numerous statements like this in many threads and you''re making the rest of us look bad.

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 5:50:48 PM
Author: upgrade
I have to say that I haven''t been around for long but I really see what people are saying. Beau asked for opinions, and then shot down every single one that wasn''t what she wanted to hear. A more gracious person would have simply said ''thank you for taking the time to give me your thoughts'' rahter than what to me amounted to ''you''re wrong, and here are all the reasons and dollar amounts why.'' Tacky, tacky, tacky...

Beau, it should be enough for you to love your home. You shouldn''t need the contant ego stroking from strangers to make you feel superior.

And as a fellow Canadian, I have to ask you to please stop saying things like we don''t have Craftsman homes in Canada. You''ve made numerous statements like this in many threads and you''re making the rest of us look bad.
I wouldn''t worry too much about Beau making all Canadians look bad. Like Elle Chris said, "She''s one of a kind!"

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/20/2009 4:24:33 PM
Author:beau13
So..I just recently painted my family room, new carpet, new furniture, new curtains, wall art..etc.
I love decorating, I'm told I'm fairly good at making a room come to life..BUT, I am having an issue with the trim or baseboards.
Might be hard to tell from the pic, but the walls are a taupe color, leather furniture is chocolate brown. There are a couple of doors in this room, that I painted the same color as the wall. Right now, the trim is wood (oak color), and I want to buy new ones (a bit wider), and paint them off-white. Will this look strange? I see it in all the home dec. books, and on home reno type shows, but wonder if it will stand out with the dark furniture. The cushions, and some wall art have off-white strips, and creams/beiges (the curtains too). Thanks for any advice you may have. If you have pics to post that would be fantastic!!

You can see a bit of the patio door, and the far window, where the wood trim would be lightened (cream color), or would you leave the trim around windows/doors, floors a wood color? The carpet is fairly light (biegy/taupe color), the walls are more of a cool tone, and the fireplace is solid oak (which I am considering staining darker). Any thoughts??
You asked for advice, and from what I can see a lot of people well versed with interior decoration gave you several brilliant suggestions. If you didnt want opinions, why ask?

And I have to agree with Upgrade. As another fellow Canadian, some of the things you have mentioned seriously makes me wonder about your lack of awareness.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Beau13, I find it very un-Canadian like, the way you are so boastful. Why do you need to constantly be insisting that everything about you, what you do, how you look, where you live, the laws where you live, etc., are better than everyone else. It is great to be confident and patriotic, and admittedly sometimes we Canadians are not enough so, but to put down others in the process is very painful to read.

Why do you ask for opinions? Why not just ask for people who like what you have done to your home to chime in? You were incredulous that others could 'hate oak', and then in the next breath you say you 'hate cherrywood'. You ask someone to share pictures of a room in her home, and then you don't even comment after she takes the time to do so. If someone tells you what you want to hear, they are your new best friend. How high school is that?

Narcissistic tendencies are fine sometimes, but not all the times. Treat others as you would like to be treated!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 6:23:05 PM
Author: hlmr
Beau13, I find it very un-Canadian like, the way you are so boastful. Why do you need to constantly be insisting that everything about you, what you do, how you look, where you live, the laws where you live, etc., are better than everyone else. It is great to be confident and patriotic, and admittedly sometimes we Canadians are not enough so, but to put down others in the process is very painful to read.

Why do you ask for opinions? Why not just ask for people who like what you have done to your home to chime in? You were incredulous that others could ''hate oak'', and then in the next breath you say you ''hate cherrywood''. You ask someone to share pictures of a room in her home, and then you don''t even comment after she takes the time to do so. If someone tells you what you want to hear, they are your new best friend. How high school is that?

Narcissistic tendencies are fine sometimes, but not all the times. Treat others as you would like to be treated!!
+1.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Beau, no one was trying to insult your style by calling it traditional. You seem to think traditional = old and modern = new, which isn't correct. Traditional design uses neutral colors with warm (red, for example) accent colors and lots of wood accents, just as you have. True modern design is a completely different look than what you've gone for- check the photo below for an example.

To echo the others, you DID ask for opinions, and by doing so online, you're going to receive varied responses. If you're just looking for 'oohs' and 'aahs', it might be best to stick to asking friends and family for their opinions.
2.gif

modernlivingex.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results