shape
carat
color
clarity

Paging Gypsy!!! (And any other diamond experts please!!!!!)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Paging Gypsy!!! (And any other diamond experts please!!!

Sorry, I didn't see your question on the older thread. I am not a fan of crushed ice radiants. I like to see beautiful, symmetrical facet patterns and I think I posted examples on the other thread. But if this is what you like and you have compared prices, then you should get it.

CTsparkle13

Shiny_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1463497135|4032687 said:
Sorry, I didn't see your question on the older thread. I am not a fan of crushed ice radiants. I like to see beautiful, symmetrical facet patterns and I think I posted examples on the other thread. But if this is what you like and you have compared prices, then you should get it.

Can you look at these two pictures. Does it still look like crushed ice to you?

_37188.jpg

_37191.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, it is what we call crushed ice. But some people like them, and that is fine. Just make sure you have seen both types and still prefer that type.

CTsparkle13

Shiny_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1463497595|4032692 said:
Yes, it is what we call crushed ice. But some people like them, and that is fine. Just make sure you have seen both types and still prefer that type.

Thank you for your help. I don't like that look so that was what I wanted to see was if anyone else thought it looked like crushed ice. The guy I was working with kept telling me otherwise.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

CTsparkle13|1463497869|4032694 said:

Thank you for your help. I don't like that look so that was what I wanted to see was if anyone else thought it looked like crushed ice. The guy I was working with kept telling me otherwise.

I think that is awful that he is just trying to make a sale rather than help you find a great stone that better meets your preferences. I think Good Old Gold is a good option for that purpose. Just specify up front if you want a rectangular one and that you want a well defined facet pattern and not crushed ice (to whoever you work with). I just didn't find any good ones on James Allen except squares.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

The one you are looking at is definitely of the "crushed ice" variety, which, if you like it, is perfectly fine. You can tell it's this type by the disorganized faceting in the middle of the diamond (it's like lots of little pinpricks of light return, with no organized/likely not symmetrical pattern). And this may not be be the best example, but it came up when I did a quick search, of a more organized pattern for a radiant: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.53-carat-k-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-370077

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

HI CT,
just curious, but what is it about "crushed ice" that you don't like?
I ask because there's a definite preference against that term here on PS- but in fact, it's not even a gemological term at all....so it's no surprise that a salesperson will tell you it's not crushed ice. There's really no definition of it that's widely accepted.

CTsparkle13

Shiny_Rock

Rockdiamond|1463505382|4032764 said:

HI CT,
just curious, but what is it about "crushed ice" that you don't like?
I ask because there's a definite preference against that term here on PS- but in fact, it's not even a gemological term at all....so it's no surprise that a salesperson will tell you it's not crushed ice. There's really no definition of it that's widely accepted.

Hi Rockdiamond,

It's not that I don't like the look of "crushed ice" in a radiant I just thought going by what I read on Pricescope that that type of radiant doesn't have as much sparkle. Also is it better to have a diamond without any fluorescence? I am looking at H color diamonds and want a white look.

Thanks!!!!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

CTsparkle13|1463506829|4032777 said:
Hi Rockdiamond,

It's not that I don't like the look of "crushed ice" in a radiant I just thought going by what I read on Pricescope that that type of radiant doesn't have as much sparkle. Also is it better to have a diamond without any fluorescence? I am looking at H color diamonds and want a white look.

Thanks!!!!

You should go by what you like. If you like the look of the diamond you posted, go for it. There's definitely a preference for more organized faceting on Pricescope, but personally I think both types of radiants can be lovely.

You can read the many, MANY threads on PS arguing for/against 'crushed ice' vs. other types of radiants. You probably don't want this thread to become another debate, which is why I suggest learning what you prefer with your own eyes.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Great points Ruby- although from my perspective there's never been a "fair" debate, crushed ice gets trashed here routinely, and rarely defended.

The overall point for you CTsparkle- go for what your eyes love, as Ruby suggested.

About fluorescence: It's not possible to give a simple "good/bad" answer.
In general, it's not a problem, although in rare cases it can be. No need to worry about this- the problem stones are easy to spot, they look dull.
But more to the point, an H color stone with Medium or strong Blue should trade at a nice discount over one that has no fluorescence.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rockdiamond|1463510363|4032830 said:
Great points Ruby- although from my perspective there's never been a "fair" debate, crushed ice gets trashed here routinely, and rarely defended.

The overall point for you CTsparkle- go for what your eyes love, as Ruby suggested.

In general, it's not a problem, although in rare cases it can be. No need to worry about this- the problem stones are easy to spot, they look dull.
But more to the point, an H color stone with Medium or strong Blue should trade at a nice discount over one that has no fluorescence.

Rockdiamond, out of my own curiosity - what do you think about a G color with SBF? Not sure if you're allowed to answer that or if you could answer if YOU personally would go for a diamond with SBF for the discount, or if you see that as a bad 'investment'. I use investment just as a term for the 'long run in the event you need to sell', not because I think diamonds are good investments because I know they are not. Thank you!! :wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

David's bias is a little different in that he sells crushed ice diamonds, so he has a vested interest in defending them. I was just expressing my preference for well cut, defined facet patterns. But as I said before, it this is what you love, go right ahead.

ac116...just FYI I have bought a G with SBF before and loved it. You get a discount when you buy it, and if you later sell it, it may sell at a similar discount. Or diamonds may have gone up greatly in value and you can sell at a profit. Focus on the pricing today and not with the thought of selling later. That's impossible to predict.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

ac117|1463511786|4032842 said:
Rockdiamond|1463510363|4032830 said:

Rockdiamond, out of my own curiosity - what do you think about a G color with SBF? Not sure if you're allowed to answer that or if you could answer if YOU personally would go for a diamond with SBF for the discount, or if you see that as a bad 'investment'. I use investment just as a term for the 'long run in the event you need to sell', not because I think diamonds are good investments because I know they are not. Thank you!! :wavey:

Hi AC!
I am indeed allowed to answer general questions....
Personally, yes, I love MB/SB stones that look great, and are discounted.
If I'm buying for DW, I will always consider MB/SB in colorless.
Also for our inventory- I love the price, and the fact they sometimes actually show a little blue.

diamondseeker2006 said:
David's bias is a little different in that he sells crushed ice diamonds, so he has a vested interest in defending them. I was just expressing my preference for well cut, defined facet patterns. But as I said before, it this is what you love, go right ahead.

ac116...just FYI I have bought a G with SBF before and loved it. You get a discount when you buy it, and if you later sell it, it may sell at a similar discount. Or diamonds may have gone up greatly in value and you can sell at a profit. Focus on the pricing today and not with the thought of selling later. That's impossible to predict.

Hi DS!

Actually, I don't have a "bias" because of what we offer- and we offer all types of cuts
If it's my personal taste, yes, I prefer a Radiant cut that does not look like a rectangular, or square diamond that's got the facet pattern of a round bolted to the bottom:)
I do love stones modeled after Henry Grossbard's original design- which tend to have tonnage of small sparkling reflections.
Having said that I try very hard to allow our buyers to freely choose as opposed to injecting my personal taste into it.
I get asked all the time " What do you prefer"- and I always try to find out what they love.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

She asked, "Please tell me your thoughts on the following diamond." I answered her question by giving her my thoughts. I didn't say not to buy it. She absolutely should buy it if she absolutely loves it!

Here's a rectangular radiant that I like that does not have a round arrow facet pattern or a crushed ice appearance.

_37193.jpg

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here is an antique cushion for comparison. Chunkier facets, more rounded corners, etc.

antique_6.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Looks like a crushed ice cushion with potential to me. I would get an ASET image of it.

Who is wearing it? And what do THEY like??? What did they ask for?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results