shape
carat
color
clarity

Padparadscha Sapphires!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shaun please stop going into attack mode. It's not necessary to take things to such a personal level. I don't think anybody was doubting your knowledge or skill.

Having said that, I'd like to be blunt. You're not a trained gemmologist. It doesn't matter how long you've spent using a microscope it doesn't mean you can't be duped (and, like me, you've said this has happened to you). Only labs with highly sophisticated equipment can give definitive answers. Some of us have microscopes and knowledge to use and larger than average gemstone collections but it doesn't mean we're always right. Some of us have taken courses. However, without the necessary equipment we can have a feeling and are "normally" right just on instinct alone but that's not definitive.

Trained Appraisers can be duped as they are only human! There are excellent fakes and treatments out there that can't be assessed by microscope/inclusions alone. As I said, only lab testing will give definitive answers.

If in doubt and it's within your budget and you want to have 100% assurance then send to a lab. If you're happy with your own expertise then don't. If I bought a gemstone as valuable as a Pad on Ebay and I thought it was real, I'd be sending it off for certification immediately. That's my personal choice and it may not be yours.

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
I wasn't attacking anyone. I was making a statement of fact. Here are just few examples of the rutile silk I was talking about that both of these stone exhibit. You can also see several examples of BE treatment inclusions, that are clear to anyone with a microscope.

http://www.ruby-sapphire.com/beryllium_sapphire.htm

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 5:42:04 PM
Author: shaunrice
Here are some examples of inclusions I have seen in person on a couple of orange sapphires I purchased from Ebay, clearly indicating Be treatment.

http://www.apsara.co.uk/content/view/12/27
Interesting photos!

As people have said, if you feel confident in your expertise and are happy with the price you paid, don''t send them in. Enjoy your stones...I know we certainly love looking at your collection!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 12:55:59 PM
Author: Gailey

Date: 2/25/2009 12:50:18 PM
Author: shaunrice
Given tgals experience with a vendor that many on pc recommend, I''m wondering how it could happen that her stone was synthetic. Couldn''t he have seen this when he was cutting? If he could be fooled, could a master AGS certified independant appraiser be fooled too? Should I send them to GIA now?
Shaun

Yes, I think that you should. I don''t know that GIA is necessarily the best lab for your stones, but I am sure that someone more learned than I will chime in.

I hope and pray your stones are genuine.

If Richard Wise can be fooled, there are some mighty good fakes out there.
Oh Wow....I didn''t see this coming.

That is really scary....
15.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results