shape
carat
color
clarity

Padparadscha Sapphires!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 12:30:08 AM
Author: platinumrock

Date: 2/25/2009 12:20:36 AM
Author: Gailey

Date: 2/25/2009 12:13:51 AM

Date: 2/25/2009 12:06:47 AM
Uhm, err, shaunrice are you Mr shaunrice? Because I think I love you!
Hahaa...believe it or not, this is not the first time he''s been propositioned.
He even received a few marriage proposals when they saw his gemstone collection.
1237356pr6q2nhnb7.gif
Oh heck, you mean there`s a queue?

You wouldn`t have to marry me SR (those others would nail you to a pre-nup anyway). No, just let me worship from a reasonably close distance - I`m a cheap date you know!
*GASP*

You are only after one thing.....
11.gif

You''re not even going to call him back, are you?
Hell, I`ll even throw in breakfast!

I`m only this naughty this late at night when most folks have gone to bed!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 12:39:51 AM

Date: 2/25/2009 12:30:08 AM

Date: 2/25/2009 12:20:36 AM

Date: 2/25/2009 12:13:51 AM

Date: 2/25/2009 12:06:47 AM
Uhm, err, shaunrice are you Mr shaunrice? Because I think I love you!
Hahaa...believe it or not, this is not the first time he''s been propositioned.
He even received a few marriage proposals when they saw his gemstone collection.
1237356pr6q2nhnb7.gif
Oh heck, you mean there`s a queue?

You wouldn`t have to marry me SR (those others would nail you to a pre-nup anyway). No, just let me worship from a reasonably close distance - I`m a cheap date you know!
*GASP*

You are only after one thing.....
11.gif

You''re not even going to call him back, are you?
Hell, I`ll even throw in breakfast!

I`m only this naughty this late at night when most folks have gone to bed!
OMG, Gailey, I am cracking up over here!!!
9.gif

You''re so much fun to play with!

How did this become "Pricescope...After Dark"?
3.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Pricescope needs to set us up a`Basement Party` forum. It`s been such a serious day over on Rocky Talk, I needed a little levity.

Now how do we get our hands on SR`s rocks?

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 12:54:10 AM
Pricescope needs to set us up a`Basement Party` forum. It`s been such a serious day over on Rocky Talk, I needed a little levity.

Now how do we get our hands on SR`s rocks?
Have you been to the Around The World forum? Talk about serious and fighty!

Now back to SR''s rocks....

What if we left one of our rocks on his doorstep with a note?

Then he''ll be like, "Awww...look at the poor little orphaned rock...all alone..."

Then BAM!!!
We''ll swoop in.
Evil_smile.gif

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
23.gif
LOL! Too funny! Most of the things I set go to my mom lol! Who then puts them in a box and never wears them again lol!
33.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can I be your mom?????? I will be 60 this year. Honest!!! I am a grandma too. You would love my two little grandboys
9.gif

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
My mom is 53, and I have three nieces lol! I think they would mutiny LOL!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 1:07:57 AM
Author: shaunrice

How about a.. uh.... favorite aunt???? One that adores Pads??? How does that sound????
9.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 1:03:10 AM
23.gif
LOL! Too funny! Most of the things I set go to my mom lol! Who then puts them in a box and never wears them again lol!
33.gif
Oh Gawd, he`s still up PR! He`s onto us, we need a different approach ........

I could try the mumsy route but Linda`s ahead of us and besides I`m only 48. Maybe we could get Freke to bake him a cake - I bet he loves cake!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 1:09:33 AM
Author: Linda W

How about a.. uh.... favorite aunt???? One that adores Pads??? How does that sound????
9.gif

We''re on to you, woman!!!
11.gif

You''re even trying to use your grandbabies as lure....
1237399ifetfs3eq4.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 1:30:31 AM
Date: 2/25/2009 1:09:33 AM

Author: Linda W

9.gif

We''re on to you, woman!!!
11.gif

You''re even trying to use your grandbabies as lure....
1237399ifetfs3eq4.gif

ha ha ha ha. Hey, I will use anything to get one of those gorgeous pads
9.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 1:16:55 AM

Date: 2/25/2009 1:03:10 AM
23.gif
33.gif
Oh Gawd, he`s still up PR! He`s onto us, we need a different approach ........

I could try the mumsy route but Linda`s ahead of us and besides I`m only 48. Maybe we could get Freke to bake him a cake - I bet he loves cake!

Gaaah!!! Does he like dogs? I have two yellow labs that love to fetch!

YA YA cake sounds good!

Food is always good. I can make some mean baby back ribs!!! And steak!
18.gif

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
LOL! Changed my avatar lol! That''s me at the London eye, flying! Off to Neverland lol! You guys are too much!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Shaun on a serious note. Can you please divulge where you bought those gorgeous pads? Is it a secret????
17.gif

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
I got them on Ebay. And I had them appraised by an AGS certified appraiser before posting to make sure they were natural stones. I average about 10 stones a month, usually certified. But I have to admit I sometimes get too carried away. These were simply listed as unheated padparadscha sapphires. I bought three of them. 2 were natural, and the synthetic is on it''s way back. As I use paypal, I figure I am only out the postage. I do not encourage anyone to purchase stones this way! It is much better, as I have learned from you folks here, to purchase from a reputable dealer. I have purchased one green zircon from Gene, and one gorgeous red zircon (still not here lol) from precision gem. It''s nice to know that what you''re getting is exactly what is being sold. I have, however, made two purchases on ebay that have covered my expenses x 100''s.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW, you sure lucked out on Ebay with those two gorgeous pads. I hope your mother wears them, or I will,
9.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did someone say cake?

SR and I are both in NM...

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
Given tgals experience with a vendor that many on pc recommend, I''m wondering how it could happen that her stone was synthetic. Couldn''t he have seen this when he was cutting? If he could be fooled, could a master AGS certified independant appraiser be fooled too? Should I send them to GIA now?

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 12:50:18 PM
Given tgals experience with a vendor that many on pc recommend, I''m wondering how it could happen that her stone was synthetic. Couldn''t he have seen this when he was cutting? If he could be fooled, could a master AGS certified independant appraiser be fooled too? Should I send them to GIA now?
Shaun

Yes, I think that you should. I don''t know that GIA is necessarily the best lab for your stones, but I am sure that someone more learned than I will chime in.

I hope and pray your stones are genuine.

If Richard Wise can be fooled, there are some mighty good fakes out there.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Shaunrice,

First of all, let me say your pads really look like a knockout. I don''t know what you paid for them, but I''ll assume a fair penny so I won''t hate you for having them and not me (because I couldn''t afford it!)
1.gif

Secondly, Richard Wise did not cut the stone. I believe it came from one of his suppliers. From where his supplier got it, I don''t know. Which really makes me think that a lot goes on the gem world that we don''t know about and this can happen to even the most diligent. From what I could tell, the stone looked REAL (but what''s "real", anyway?)

If you spent a fair bit on them, I would send them to AGTA to get them checked out. It would probably run about 200 bucks per stone or so, which is not a lot of money when you are spending in the 1000''s, for peace of mind.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, and this is why I am stressing that we SHOULD use reputable vendors (PS or otherwise) because I am too green to be navigating the gemstone world on my own. I would gladly pay a premium for Richard''s assistance again. He spoke to AGTA personally about the stone in question.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given tgals experience with a vendor that many on pc recommend, I'm wondering how it could happen that her stone was synthetic. Couldn't he have seen this when he was cutting? If he could be fooled, could a master AGS certified independant appraiser be fooled too? Should I send them to GIA now?
Yes, most definitely. There are some very very convincing synthetics being sold all over ebay.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 1:49:18 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Yes, most definitely. There are some very very convincing synthetics being sold all over ebay.
And I would say the price asked would an indicator. Would a dealer really sell a big, awesome colored stone for $300 bucks if he knew it would legitimately fetch 1000s? Probably not. Saw a lot of those "unheated" sapphires on ebay.

Of course, you could have the smart guy who sells it for 1000''s and makes even more money off the unsuspecting. Scary.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2009 12:55:59 PM

Shaun

Yes, I think that you should. I don''t know that GIA is necessarily the best lab for your stones, but I am sure that someone more learned than I will chime in.

I hope and pray your stones are genuine.

If Richard Wise can be fooled, there are some mighty good fakes out there.
AGTA is one of the premier labs for colored stones. I would send it there before the GIA. I would use the GIA for colored diamonds.

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
I have purchased somewhere around 380 stones from various places, including Ebay. I have a microscope, which I have probably spent conservatively 500 hours on. There are very specific inclusions (from what I read, been told, and personally seen) that cannot be duplicated by synthetics. Both of these sapphires exhibit those characteristics. There is a great website on ruby and sapphire inclusions that is based on a book I hope to buy very soon. The rutile silk that unheated sapphires exhibit, to the best of my knowledge, cannot be duplicated by synthetics. The rutile forms in a very specific way, and each of these stones exhibit picture perfect rutile silk inclusions and "negative crystal" inclusions. I appreciate your feedback very much! But don''t downplay, or suggest that my 500 hours on a microscope, delving deep into stones of every kind, INCLUDING sythetics, doesn''t put me in a position to determine (especially with text-book perfect incusions) whether or not a stone is synthetic. When you have looked at 100+ rubies... unheated... heated... flux filled... and synthetic, you get quite a feel for nature''s secrets. Of those 100+ rubies, I have kept only a handful, and returned all the others. Like your suggestion my alexandrite had been tumbled and then recut, despite the fact I told you it had been certified, and showed pictures of the crystal inclusion that goes from the table 3/4 of the way through the stone lol! No one wants to spend 1000''s of dollars a carat on a stone, and have some kid show up with an Ebay stone for 100''s of dollars a carat that outshines theirs. I am frankly far more offended by the price of white diamonds. One of the most common gemstones on the planet, and yet people are murdered, robbed, and cheated for them. I don''t know how or why I''ve been lucky on a few stones. But volume is everything. I have been shafted badly many many times. Frankly I don''t think 2 alexandrites, and 2 padparadscha sapphires out of 380 purchases are very good odds.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
Absolutely TL! Did you see what he wrote? The stone was loupe clean. Mine are not. They have distinct textbook inclusions.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shaun,
I''m not downplaying anything about your skills in looking at stones and evaluating microscopic inclusions. You had simply asked a question if a very skilled gemologist could be duped, and I said yes they could. Richard Wise concurred the same thing in that thread. That is all, nothing more.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 3:47:02 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Shaun,
I''m not downplaying anything about your skills in looking at stones and evaluating microscopic inclusions. You had simply asked a question if a very skilled gemologist could be duped, and I said yes they could. Richard Wise concurred the same thing in that thread. That is all, nothing more.
Ditto.

Shaun, if you got two 2 carat unheated pads on ebay for a few hundred bucks with that kind of color, then I saw you are awesome and I need to learn a thing or two for you. I don''t have a microscope. I have a 10x loupe, that''s it. And I have to fumble around a bit to use it.

I see both pink and orange in your stones. Pad is such a subjective term anyway, but since people are charging premiums for it, labs are trying to have some parameters on what constitutes a pad. Richard noted in my thread somewhere that it''s was interesting (for lack of a better word) to see how these labs came to agreement, and that it comes down to comparing to paint chips. Not only do the two colors have to be in play, but delicacy as well.

I still have my doubts about whether a true, unheated, stunning well cut pad can be had on ebay for a few hundred. Someone would have to not know what he''s doing to sell it for that amount because the market for pads is there and supply of unheated pads is determining the price. I just don''t see how someone who knows what he''s doing would sell it for so low, because suppliers would probably be selling them (if legit) for higher than a few hundred.

But only YOU have seen your stone. You and your gemologist appraiser, which is better than many people would have done. If you are confident and happy in your purchases, don''t send it to AGTA. If you want to know from a reputable lab, send it.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 3:42:06 PM
Absolutely TL! Did you see what he wrote? The stone was loupe clean. Mine are not. They have distinct textbook inclusions.
Do you know anything about about what a Be diffused stone would look like? I'm not asking to be pointed. I'm geniunely curious because the topic of inclusions in sapphires and their characteristics really interest me. The inclusions would be there in a baked stone, but what would they look like compared to a regular one? It would be fascinating to see magnified photos.

On ebay, I would be less concerned with synthetics and more concerned with Be diffused pads.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results