shape
carat
color
clarity

Padparadscha Recut

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
Few years back I had purchased a pad sapphire from a local jeweler set in a ring. Lovely color at least I think. The ring was overall a good price but the cut began to bother me b/c the window was too glaring and dark. I got it recut and I think it looks so much better just in these pics I think. I feel like It will handle light much better and it was already a pancake stone so a fantasy cut was the only option I think.....I wanted to keep the size b/c its going back in the same ring.
I'll post pics when the rings done. I'm really excited about it.

IMG_6936.JPG IMG_6938.JPG
20220225_201537-jpg.876232
20220225_201607_0.jpg

Attachments

• 20220225_201537.jpg
    20220225_201537.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
Wow, what a difference. Never thought of going this route with overly shallow stones! Did the color change?

I haven't seen it in person. I'm not convinced the pictures are fair b/c it looks desaturated in the new pics on white but I think they also lack the level of contrast the first pics had (taken years back) and that will affect saturation. so I'd guess its prob the same tbh.

HUGE difference! Such a giant improvement, @Bonsai. I wouldn't have been able to live with it as it was before. Just curious what you mean by a "pancake" stone? Are you referring to it being very shallow? Anyway, great decision to have it recut. Enjoy!!

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
HUGE difference! Such a giant improvement, @Bonsai. I wouldn't have been able to live with it as it was before. Just curious what you mean by a "pancake" stone? Are you referring to it being very shallow? Anyway, great decision to have it recut. Enjoy!!

Thanks and yes it was just very shallow cut

So here’s a before and after with my phone I did without editing either pic as sent
I don’t feel it changed the color any do y’all? Looks the same to me
A93FB0DA-F044-4FD7-9C33-707E95514741.jpeg

Yes, I do think the recut changed its color... for the better! That window was really significant... the entire center of the stone was one giant black hole of extinction. Now the color has so much more life. That's an ideal shade for a pad, IMO.

@Bonsai Do you have the before and after weight and dimensions (I think you said the LxW did not change, correct)? Your cutter truly did a phenomenal job of keeping the face up size on a shallow stone, while completely closing the window.

ETA: That cut sort of reminds me of Waterford crystal! I really like it.

Last edited:

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
These are the original specs I didn’t ask the final but I think for fantasy cuts they just carve the starburst in so I’m not sure it changed total depth of total depth is bottom point to top if that makes sense
It was really shallow
The side by side pic of the 2 stones really makes me appreciate him doing a good job its a huge improvement. Now to hope the jeweler doesnt crack it resetting it. How common Is that
5561A154-1DFF-4C3C-9F85-D2AE13C84F13.jpeg

Oh I wouldn't worry too much about that, @Bonsai. If you have a capable jeweler, the stone will be just fine. Sapphire is very durable, and I don't see any internal characteristics that would compromise the stone's integrity. The jeweler would have to be a complete amateur or terribly negligent to hurt that gem while setting it in such a simple prong mounting. Good luck with the project... how exciting for you!

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
Oh I wouldn't worry too much about that, @Bonsai. If you have a capable jeweler, the stone will be just fine. Sapphire is very durable, and I don't see any internal characteristics that would compromise the stone's integrity. The jeweler would have to be a complete amateur or terribly negligent to hurt that gem while setting it in such a simple prong mounting. Good luck with the project... how exciting for you!

Thank you actually the cutter is working with a jeweler on it. Theres none I trust locally I was going to send it to David Klass actually to remove and he said that would be kinda useless b/c the cutter is on teh east coast. he said he prefers not to talk to his jeweler b/c it makes him the middle man which I do totally get but in this case he'd do it. the jeweler did note on removal the prongs were pretty heavy. I've only had 1 ring reset it was one David made and I swapped stones. It has a little mark from bending the prong but thats all. David did all the work on that one. He does a lot for me and does a great job.

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
I'll have to get a new appraisal I had ins on it I would htink the cut would substantially increase hte value since it was so crappy before. IDK. I am considering sending it to GIA.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Simply gorgeous. It would look fab in any setting. Heck, it would look fab even in a twist tie ring.

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
Simply gorgeous. It would look fab in any setting. Heck, it would look fab even in a twist tie ring.

forgive me whats a twist tie ring

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
here's a vid. A little broken but I am so happy it looks a million times better than the original ugly cut. Such a pretty color stone to have cut it so ugly to being with. I also feel like now the dark areas look more dark pinkish as opposed to just black. What do you all think?

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
Also do you all think if I send to GIA it will come back Padparadscha?

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
Also do you all think if I send to GIA it will come back Padparadscha?

Looks fantastic in the video! I still cant believe the cutter did that transformation with 2.6mm depth to work with.

There was recently a couple threads discussing lab criteria for Padparadscha designation. You could read through them... I think the conclusion is no one can say for sure.

Here's one:

I think GRS has given some of least padparadscha-like sapphires the label, based on what I've seen online, eg. post 22 which I posted the following thread (the second recent thread on the topic).

And an interesting article on the topic from the above thread:

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
Thanks that will be a good read

I have to echo @demantoidz on both counts. First, that pavilion overhaul was so cleverly executed with only 2.6mm in depth to work with. Unbelievable! Second, it's such a gamble with what will certify as a pad. It differs amongst labs, the day, the particular gemologist grading the stone, whether that person had their morning coffee, and so on! But, if I had to say, I would think the GIA would designate it as a pad. I honestly feel like it's the perfect combination of hue, tone, and saturation... and GRS clearly agreed. Plus, judging by the color, it looks like Sri Lankan material, so I don't think you'd have to worry about the stone failing a stability test. Let us know what happens!

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
I have to echo @demantoidz on both counts. First, that pavilion overhaul was so cleverly executed with only 2.6mm in depth to work with. Unbelievable! Second, it's such a gamble with what will certify as a pad. It differs amongst labs, the day, the particular gemologist grading the stone, whether that person had their morning coffee, and so on! But, if I had to say, I would think the GIA would designate it as a pad. I honestly feel like it's the perfect combination of hue, tone, and saturation... and GRS clearly agreed. Plus, judging by the color, it looks like Sri Lankan material, so I don't think you'd have to worry about the stone failing a stability test. Let us know what happens!

Só the one thing Is after I sent it to the cutter that was his first question when he called me “is this a Padparadscha” and I was like yeah….
I feel like it looks a lot like other I have seen Gia do but who knows

It’s from Madagascar
What does that mean for stability? There’s nothing on the hrs report on that

It is heated heat only

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
Só the one thing Is after I sent it to the cutter that was his first question when he called me “is this a Padparadscha” and I was like yeah….
I feel like it looks a lot like other I have seen Gia do but who knows

It’s from Madagascar
What does that mean for stability? There’s nothing on the hrs report on that

It is heated heat only

The color of some sapphires, especially padparadschas/yellow sapphires from Mozambique, can fade when exposed to certain lights.
Here's a short SSEF article, worth at least looking at the pics. I know AGL, GRS (as of 2019) and SSEF include a note on whether the stone's color is stable - not sure about GIA. I do not know if its worth worrying about if you had the stone for years, unless it was kept in a dark area most of that time.

And just the other day they published that they will be doing the same test for rubies from now on. Sources told them some are using radiotherapy equipment to temporarily enhance ruby color.

Last edited:

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
The color of some sapphires, especially padparadschas/yellow sapphires from Mozambique, can fade when exposed to certain lights.
Here's a short SSEF article, worth at least looking at the pics. I know AGL, GRS (as of 2019) and SSEF include a note on whether the stone's color is stable - not sure about GIA. I do not know if its worth worrying about if you had the stone for years, unless it was kept in a dark area most of that time.

And just the other day they published that they will be doing the same test for rubies from now on. Sources told them some are using radiotherapy equipment to temporarily enhance ruby color.

This is good info and wow on the rubies
I had looked at something that said grs puts it on reports but it’s not on mine at all???

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
These articles were written 2 yrs after my grs report maybe that’s why
I keep it in a jewelry box I don’t wear it daily but often
It seems like it would have some fade in this time if it was gonna fade but who knows

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
This is good info and wow on the rubies
I had looked at something that said grs puts it on reports but it’s not on mine at all???

GRS only started conducting the test and putting it on reports in 2019. They published this 23/12/2019.

I have absolutely no idea whether after all this time your stone could still be a fading type. Maybe ask GIA before submitting if they think its a possibility? It is not super common.

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
GRS only started conducting the test and putting it on reports in 2019. They published this 23/12/2019.

I have absolutely no idea whether after all this time your stone could still be a fading type. Maybe ask GIA before submitting if they think its a possibility? It is not super common.

thx for all the help. I'm prob gonna wear it for awhile since I'll be glad to have it back. I read we can submit stones in jewelry to GIA so I will prob plan to send it off to them when I have to go on vacation or something so its not sitting in my house anyways lol.

jenzgemz

Rough_Rock
Gorgeous! Can I ask who you used for the recut?

@Bonsai As demantoidz said, pad fading is not particularly prevalent. It was mostly just a small strike in Ambatondrazaka, Madagascar that produced pad-like colored sapphire with yellow color centers prone to fading. Stones from the more well-known deposit in Ilakaka tend to have stable color. I find Madagascan pads to be a bit too dark and with a brown modifier. I don't see any of that in yours! I really thought it was Sri Lankan. Oh and, yes, GRS was definitely not yet stability testing in 2015.

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
I’m in love

Judging by the skin in the pic I think the contrast color and all that is an accurate representation. I added some contrast in one pic for reference but damn I think it looks amazing

I get it Friday!!! These are from the jeweler

FE8CA054-E373-462E-9A76-5E2BDE20CF48.jpeg D895D0C3-286A-46E1-974E-8F4C42C4E13C.jpeg

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
here's a vid. A little broken but I am so happy it looks a million times better than the original ugly cut. Such a pretty color stone to have cut it so ugly to being with. I also feel like now the dark areas look more dark pinkish as opposed to just black. What do you all think?

I'm dizzy from watching the video but it's night and day what a difference that cut made! Congrats!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results