shape
carat
color
clarity

Padparadscha journey

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
I love your new design. Hope your jeweler is able to execute to perfection. :)

Thank you! I'm fairly confident in her, just need to arrange for a meeting now :3

Oooo I love your design idea!!!

Aww thank you <3 I love designing jewelry, so much fun to envision the possibilities! :3

Both options would look lovely. I don't know which one I'd prefer! I think I'd want to see a colored CAD before I could decide.

Very true. I guess at this point, I should meet with her to talk over details, get her thoughts. I could have sworn that @Rfisher used a program to simulate a colored CAD though? Or maybe it was another PS-er?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Lilith112
Lol - I just use a simple cut/paste/modify free app.
Take these with a huge grain of salt. They are quick and dirty. Rose gold color was not easy to find in what I could utilize. So I don’t think this is really going to help you decide on yellow vs rose as neither are coming across as a true gold color in the photos to my eyes, and the alloys are going to vary between vendors anyways.
B7449201-37EF-41CF-9DBD-F2CFA8095855.jpeg 3F93E35E-D0E9-4204-B89D-CD1559405491.jpeg

I hope you document your setting journey for this - I find those threads fascinating :)

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
@Lilith112
Lol - I just use a simple cut/paste/modify free app.
Take these with a huge grain of salt. They are quick and dirty. Rose gold color was not easy to find in what I could utilize. So I don’t think this is really going to help you decide on yellow vs rose as neither are coming across as a true gold color in the photos to my eyes, and the alloys are going to vary between vendors anyways.
B7449201-37EF-41CF-9DBD-F2CFA8095855.jpeg 3F93E35E-D0E9-4204-B89D-CD1559405491.jpeg

I hope you document your setting journey for this - I find those threads fascinating :)

Ohh thank you so much!

I chatted w/my jeweler over WeChat about 1). a brushed finish for a matte but lustrous effect as well as 2). using unplated white gold for softer contrast. The 18K alloy she uses is more like a peach gold, so I think it'll contrast nicely with both the pad as well as the unplated white gold.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Btw everyone, a slightly updated design; mostly tweaked so the lotus pad isn't as big/overwhelming:

WeChat Image_20200315121653.jpg

Also, I really like the look of unplated white gold & 18K rose gold; ref pic as below:

1584258608831.png

Such a soft and romantic finish <3

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
I'm indecisive....so what about a lariat design instead? It's simpler, but can feature brushed rose gold leaves:

1584427333981.png

Thinking up of a design is hard!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I'm indecisive....so what about a lariat design instead? It's simpler, but can feature brushed rose gold leaves:

1584427333981.png

Thinking up of a design is hard!

Lariat design!

The pad takes backstage in the first IMO

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
I discovered an even better lighting for my pad....sunset lighting!

1584584006960.png
1584584025557.png

It doesn't display in the pictures, but it's a sparkle bomb in strong lighting! Just orange flashes everywhere!

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
I’m absolutely in love with that stone. I don’t suppose the vendor had anymore like it? :razz:

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
Ah, the color is lovely, but the window bugs me. Thank you for asking though :)

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
Budget is relatively open, depending on if I find something that makes my heart sing :)

Ct size I was thinking somewhere in the 1.5 to 3 range.

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
The 3.5 looks pretty dreamy color wise! Bit blurry to see though.

I'm amused at this thread turning into a general purpose pad journey thread :razz:

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
The 3.5 looks pretty dreamy color wise! Bit blurry to see though.

I'm amused at this thread turning into a general purpose pad journey thread :razz:

I don't mind; pads are so tricky to search for that hopefully my adventures provide some help :)

Would you like me to check the price of the 3.5ct pad? And obtain some more pics?

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
I don't mind; pads are so tricky to search for that hopefully my adventures provide some help :)

Would you like me to check the price of the 3.5ct pad? And obtain some more pics?

You aren't kidding. It's so hard!

And sure, I wouldn't mind a price and some more pictures :)

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
You aren't kidding. It's so hard!

And sure, I wouldn't mind a price and some more pictures :)

The price is RMB88000 or USD12401; it's currently uncerted.

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm...pricey pricey, but food for thought. I appreciate you getting the info on it!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I thought pads r more pastel toned? This one is quite saturated - still considered a pad? I actually like the saturated color better since am not into pastels :)

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm...pricey pricey, but food for thought. I appreciate you getting the info on it!

No problem! The 3.5ct pad is with a non-wholesale vendor, so that probably also contributes to the cost on top of the size.

I thought pads r more pastel toned? This one is quite saturated - still considered a pad? I actually like the saturated color better since am not into pastels :)

I think there's some debate over pastel vs. saturated, but saturated pads in recent years have been fetching very high prices at auction such as the David Morris pad ring:

1584765848485.png

Richard Hughes also has a great article on the debate (Richard Hughes has a great article on the pastel vs. saturated debate: https://lotusgemology.com/index.php...-padparadscha-sapphire-the-ownership-of-words) where he supports including high saturation orange-pink sapphires as pads. The pad I bought also isn't considered pastel; Lotus Lab graded it as medium tone, rich saturation as this pic shows:

1584766149655.png

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
My personal definition of pads (which is just the definition I have for myself and what I’m looking for) is a gem that reminds me of beautiful sunsets and lotus flowers.

The debate on pad color is fascinating on an intellectual level. But I know what I like to see :)

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
My personal definition of pads (which is just the definition I have for myself and what I’m looking for) is a gem that reminds me of beautiful sunsets and lotus flowers.

The debate on pad color is fascinating on an intellectual level. But I know what I like to see :)

That's all that matters at the end of the day--whether or not you've fallen in love with it! There's just so many variations of pads, ranging from pink-leaning ones to deeper or more saturated pads :)

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
Ahh, less interested I’m afraid! Both color and clarity looked nicer in the blurry version ;-)

Thank you though!

voce

Ideal_Rock
I've never personally cared for the pastel pads. It's only the more saturated pads that have taken my breath away. Love the square cushion pad! Would buy in a heartbeat if everything checks out and I had the money, but alas, I don't have the budget for it.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
I've never personally cared for the pastel pads. It's only the more saturated pads that have taken my breath away. Love the square cushion pad! Would buy in a heartbeat if everything checks out and I had the money, but alas, I don't have the budget for it.

The seller actually showed me a snapshot of her convo w/a wholesaler who had a similar sized & colored pad that was eye clean...and it was going for USD20,000. :eek2:

Made me appreciate my own a lot more lol!

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
So it's been a while, but I've found a setter who can create my ring for a great price! Here's the CAD we've agreed on:

mmexport1592729823663.jpg

I vacilitated a bit, but ultimately decided the diamonds would be much. So we're doing a 18K brushed rose gold ring with the band thinning out at the bottom to 1.8mm.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can’t wait to see this!
Love your inspiration

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results