shape
carat
color
clarity

Padparadscha journey

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
USD4000 padparadscha, 2.54ct. What does everyone think?

IMG_20191116_115915.jpg
IMG_20191116_115842.jpg
IMG_20191116_115019.jpg
IMG_20191116_124144.jpg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Lilith it's hard to tell the colour for this at all because everything looks like it's been lit red/pink so I've got no idea what the true colour of the stone is.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Lilith it's hard to tell the colour for this at all because everything looks like it's been lit red/pink so I've got no idea what the true colour of the stone is.

Sorry! I had to adjust saturation levels since my camera greys out everything. The lab report pic (first pic) is fairly accurate imo.

If I had to describe, pastel pad, 50-50 color distribution, no brown/mauve, very brilliant/clean, and no window. Tbh I'm surprisedthat pastel pads also look ghood on me!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Sorry! I had to adjust saturation levels since my camera greys out everything. The lab report pic (first pic) is fairly accurate imo.

If I had to describe, pastel pad, 50-50 color distribution, no brown/mauve, very brilliant/clean, and no window. Tbh I'm surprisedthat pastel pads also look ghood on me!

Sounds like you like it

Sometimes I also surprise myself with the choices I make but if a stone really calls to you, I say go for it. Usually I find that it means I really really love the stone and don’t end up regretting

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like you like it

Sometimes I also surprise myself with the choices I make but if a stone really calls to you, I say go for it. Usually I find that it means I really really love the stone and don’t end up regretting

I do like it, but it's a bit over budget and much bigger than what I had in mind. But the color is very nice!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you can afford it and you love the color definitely go big!!!!!

You'll never regret it!

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
If you can afford it and you love the color definitely go big!!!!!

You'll never regret it!

Totally agree. Go for it.

@Lilith112 Try to nego the price down if you can but I suspect in 10 years (or perhaps much shorter time) you won’t think it’s big.

You two are eviiiiilll lol! It's already difficult enough resisting lol!

@icy_jade, any negotiation tips? Seller is Singaporean, are negotiations typical?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
You two are eviiiiilll lol! It's already difficult enough resisting lol!

@icy_jade, any negotiation tips? Seller is Singaporean, are negotiations typical?

I dunno how is the price - is it reasonable in your opinion?

So... it depends on a few things.

Has the seller priced it “China style” or “Singapore style”. Usually in China what’s the expected discount?

For me in Singapore cos I suck at bargaining it’s like maybe 10% off? I’ve heard that in Indonesia it’s quite different (like they expect super high discounts like 50% off or something like that so opening prices reflect that.

Usually I just ask what’s the best price and then be prepared to walk away if I really don’t want to pay the price.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock

Has the seller priced it “China style” or “Singapore style”. Usually in China what’s the expected discount?

For me in Singapore cos I suck at bargaining it’s like maybe 10% off? I’ve heard that in Indonesia it’s quite different (like they expect super high discounts like 50% off or something like that so opening prices reflect that.

Usually I just ask what’s the best price and then be prepared to walk away if I really don’t want to pay the price.

Hmm....it doesn't seem outrageous to me? It is a more pastel pad, but it's 2.54ct, unheated, Sri Lankan origin, and color stable. All in all, Usd4000 doesn't seem insane?

What do you mean by China vs Singapore style pricing btw? How do you approach asking for a discount?

Sorry for all the questions, no experience here lol

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Hmm....it doesn't seem outrageous to me? It is a more pastel pad, but it's 2.54ct, unheated, Sri Lankan origin, and color stable. All in all, Usd4000 doesn't seem insane?

What do you mean by China vs Singapore style pricing btw? How do you approach asking for a discount?

Sorry for all the questions, no experience here lol

Some locations in Asia the sellers start with sky high prices, and they kinda expect buyers to low ball them and maybe they reach somewhere in the middle. Eg quote USD10k/carat as starting price for rubies at a local fair (I just walk away immediately ha cos I hate it when sellers do this)

In Singapore typically prices are what they are and you can get say a 10% discount depending on the seller (and the buffer they’ve kept, your relationship with them etc). That said I’ve also come across Singapore sellers with ridiculous prices but then I never continue the process with them. If I feel like they are out to “chop carrot head” me I’ll just walk away.

So for China I’m not sure what’s the norm

I’m not great at bargaining so I usually just ask nicely what’s the best price and walk away if not keen. Others maybe can advise better.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Some locations in Asia the sellers start with sky high prices, and they kinda expect buyers to low ball them and maybe they reach somewhere in the middle. Eg quote USD10k/carat as starting price for rubies at a local fair (I just walk away immediately ha cos I hate it when sellers do this)

In Singapore typically prices are what they are and you can get say a 10% discount depending on the seller (and the buffer they’ve kept, your relationship with them etc). That said I’ve also come across Singapore sellers with ridiculous prices but then I never continue the process with them. If I feel like they are out to “chop carrot head” me I’ll just walk away.

So for China I’m not sure what’s the norm

I’m not great at bargaining so I usually just ask nicely what’s the best price and walk away if not keen. Others maybe can advise better.

So far, pros and cons of this pad:

Pro:
-beautiful 50-50 color mix
-No brown/mauve
-Unheated & color stable
-Minimal window

Con:
-Ct weight to face up size ratio (smaller face up than my 2ct sapphire)
-pushes at budget
-would prefer a more classical oval shape (like the usd10000+ one)

At least that's what's popping to mind. But maybe my cons aren't really cons, but me overthinking it lol?

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like it. It's a nice size, the color looks delicate and beautifully mixed, and the pastel saturation looks ethereal, not washed out to me. My only concern is that there looks to be lighter areas around the edge. Is that color zoning, or just the way the light is hitting it? I'm thinking it's just the way the light is hitting it because there's at least one photo where I don't see it at all. Overall--gorgeous!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the face up size could be forgiven seeing as it doesn't have a window. Think of it as a trade to avoid a hideous window.

I see so many flat as a pancake pads that make me cringe.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
So far, pros and cons of this pad:

Pro:
-beautiful 50-50 color mix
-No brown/mauve
-Unheated & color stable
-Minimal window

Con:
-Ct weight to face up size ratio (smaller face up than my 2ct sapphire)
-pushes at budget
-would prefer a more classical oval shape (like the usd10000+ one)

At least that's what's popping to mind. But maybe my cons aren't really cons, but me overthinking it lol?

You know how hard it is to find a pad you like. Ask yourself if you will regret walking away from it.

I don’t think the cons you cited are deal breakers but if they are then walk away.

Re face up, I recall you saying that your blue had a window? That would explain the face up and I wouldn’t consider a con in that case since you would otherwise have a window which is more likely to be a deal breaker unless the window is easy to minimize.

Stay away from PS and just sleep over it. The answer will come to you and it’ll feel right however you decide.

My two cents

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
So after thinking about it for a while and chatting w/my bf, I've decided to wait until my next trip to Singapore-- which will be in about 1-2 months--so my partner can be involved in the decision as it will be a rather big purchase for me. While I really like it, it's over my preferred budget and size, so I won't really regret passing on it for now.

(But if it's still available a month or two from now when my partner's with me, maybe I'll pull the trigger on it lol).

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
So after thinking about it for a while and chatting w/my bf, I've decided to wait until my next trip to Singapore-- which will be in about 1-2 months--so my partner can be involved in the decision as it will be a rather big purchase for me. While I really like it, it's over my preferred budget and size, so I won't really regret passing on it for now.

(But if it's still available a month or two from now when my partner's with me, maybe I'll pull the trigger on it lol).

And if it is available you have bargaining leverage

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
And if it is available you have bargaining leverage

Maybe! We'll see :) I've already communicated my decision to the vendor, and she's been very understanding about it. Currently, it's likely that my bf and I will fly over again in December to look at some more options.

@icy_jade just to double check, you're based in Singapore? Could you remind me again which jeweler you typically go to? Or if there's anywhere else in Singapore I should check out?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Maybe! We'll see :) I've already communicated my decision to the vendor, and she's been very understanding about it. Currently, it's likely that my bf and I will fly over again in December to look at some more options.

@icy_jade just to double check, you're based in Singapore? Could you remind me again which jeweler you typically go to? Or if there's anywhere else in Singapore I should check out?

Asiatique. Name is Wriston. Located at Lucky Plaza. You can contact him via FB first (usu I WhatsApp him)

He may not have pad in stock but if you give him a heads up he can help look out for you in the time period when you are in Singapore.

Others in Singapore can probably rec their usual jewelers too. Will suggest you walk around Lucky and Far East Plaza when you are here. No harm to look see.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Asiatique. Name is Wriston. Located at Lucky Plaza. You can contact him via FB first (usu I WhatsApp him)

He may not have pad in stock but if you give him a heads up he can help look out for you in the time period when you are in Singapore.

Others in Singapore can probably rec their usual jewelers too. Will suggest you walk around Lucky and Far East Plaza when you are here. No harm to look see.

Great, will keep that in mind! Lucky Plaza's across the street from Ion Orchard/Takashiyama, yes? Right next to Marriott Tang?

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Great, will keep that in mind! Lucky Plaza's across the street from Ion Orchard/Takashiyama, yes? Right next to Marriott Tang?

Tanglin Shopping Centre. I like going there to looky look. Lots of odd stores there. A lot of antiques. If I recall, there is an old couple with a shop there and they sell coloured gems. Can't remember the name

Serangoon Road - the Indian jewellers will have Burmese rubies but you have to be careful and insist on certificate from Nanyang before paying anything.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock

Yes. I find the vendors from China exorbitant. I don't expect cheap gems. I would want reasonable prices. But wow, how eye-watering and heart-attack inducing:knockout:.......

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Tanglin Shopping Centre. I like going there to looky look. Lots of odd stores there. A lot of antiques. If I recall, there is an old couple with a shop there and they sell coloured gems. Can't remember the name

Serangoon Road - the Indian jewellers will have Burmese rubies but you have to be careful and insist on certificate from Nanyang before paying anything.

Okay, got it! Will keep these places in mind for my next trip as well :)

RE: Chinese vendors, from experience, I think I'd only refer to EKA Gems and this place on East Nanjing Rd. for reliably good quality gems that aren't exorbitantly priced. I felt kind of annoyed when one vendor quoted RMB26000 for a brown-orange gem that's definitely not a pad!

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
I felt kind of annoyed when one vendor quoted RMB26000 for a brown-orange gem that's definitely not a pad!

That's worse than feeling sick after over-indulging in chocolates:knockout:

I hope you find your dream pad.

Next time I am in Shanghai, will head for East Nanjing Road. Have not been back for a long while.

Last edited:

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
That's worse than feeling sick after eating too many chocolates:knockout:

Especially since I wasted my lunch break looking at it, urgh -.-

The pad I saw in SG gave me hope though that I will find one, especially now that I understand I also like soft pastel pads (but not washed out!). Hopefully, I'll find one during my next trip :D

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Ok not for pads but an interesting place to walk around... buy affordable tourmalines etc...

Golden Landmark building at Bugis

I know Shaliha from the local gem shows but there are quite a few gem stores there

Just be warned that it’s super run down. I felt like I was back in the 80s

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Ok not for pads but an interesting place to walk around... buy affordable tourmalines etc...

Golden Landmark building at Bugis

I know Shaliha from the local gem shows but there are quite a few gem stores there

Just be warned that it’s super run down. I felt like I was back in the 80s

Okay, will keep that in mind if we have time! Any good food in that area as well? :D

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Any good food in that area as well? :D [/QUOTE said:
I was looking for Guan Kee carrot cake and found this blog. I think it has pretty much everything here, all around Waterloo Street, Bugis Street, the North Bridge Road area (I love:love::kiss2:)

Awwww, now I wish I was going home.....

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock

OMG ALL OF THIS LOOKS SO GOOOOD <3 Hawker food's the best.

Btw any dim sum reccs in Singapore?

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
OMG ALL OF THIS LOOKS SO GOOOOD <3 Hawker food's the best.

Btw any dim sum reccs in Singapore?

Jiang Nan Chun at Four Seasons - this I love plenty plenty.

Min Jiang at Dempsey Hill. I love Dempsey Hill.

When down town in Orchard Road, I head for Crystal Jade or Nan Bei Dim Sum in Takashimaya fourth floor or fifth floor. But the first two would be my favourites.

Nothing else I can think of.

You could starve and then unleash your demons at a high tea in any of the hotels at 4 pm :lickout:.

I hang out a lot at home when home so I am not the expert on where to go. Plus, having lived away for so long, I tend to only go to few favourite haunts for the short periods that I am there.

And I am mad for local food like Chicken Rice or Hokkien Mee or Char Kway Teow and Carrot Cake, hence not much help in the Dim Sum department.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results