shape
carat
color
clarity

Packrat's graduated AVC five stone from GOG

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Preg and HOT!

I'm pondering the proportions for when I reset. It won't be a setting like this where the second and third sets are set lower from each other-so I wonder if the 2nd set would be too close in size to the center and I should wait for a tish bigger center. I want this to be IT so I want to get it right.

Funny, I'd decided against a diamond band w/it at first and now I'm already used to it enough to either want to go a little bigger on all of them or add a diamond band. Didn't take long to get used to it! I wanted to be between 1.25 and 1.5 with the five stone and I'm short on that.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Oooh, it's lovely! :appl:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, I've been busy and lookie what I come back to! :sun:

Packy the graduation looks PERFECT in those pics!!! The long wait and all that nitpicking definitely panned out - I love it! The stones go beautifully together, and look to cover your finger nicely :love:

I do think the current setting is too harsh and overwhelms the stones, but like you say that's a job for later... what do you think about the stone sizes IRL?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Tuckins! :wavey:

Yssie, :wavey: hey you! Nice to see you back again! And yeah, I'm super lazy and quoting myself:

packrat|1328019752|3115516 said:
Thanks Preg and HOT!

I'm pondering the proportions for when I reset. It won't be a setting like this where the second and third sets are set lower from each other-so I wonder if the 2nd set would be too close in size to the center and I should wait for a tish bigger center. I want this to be IT so I want to get it right.

Funny, I'd decided against a diamond band w/it at first and now I'm already used to it enough to either want to go a little bigger on all of them or add a diamond band. Didn't take long to get used to it! I wanted to be between 1.25 and 1.5 with the five stone and I'm short on that.

I feel like the center could be just a hair bigger. Not a huge amount by any means. There's a 1.1mm difference between the ends and the second set and then a .7 difference between the second set and center. It's noticeable, but not like it's the first thing you see or anything. And I don't think it would be a big deal at all, just I worry when I reset and the stones are more on an even keel rather than a step down like they are now, it will look like a three stone w/two little ends on it b/c the three are so close in size. I dunno..and maybe I'm over analyzing it. The ends seem to get a little lost in translation now and I don't want them to be that way after a reset either...mostly the ones I see when I look at it are the three...I had a lot of anxiety the other day over wondering if I should've gone w/a three stone instead. I'm a fount of anxiety.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that if you do end up going a tad bigger in the center stone it will make it look more like a 5 stone in the sense that they will all be distinct in size difference. Three stone or five stone I don't think you could have gone wrong :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's what I get for not reading the full thread :oops:

Oh, I SO know what you're saying about getting used to it! I got used to my fivestone ridiculously quickly, too... I'm contemplating taking the plunge and getting a channel band!

I see what you mean about wanting the size differences to be the same - or, at least, more graduation between center and sides. It looks thoroughly five-stone-y to my eyes from your photos, but I'm having a hard time ignoring the setting and focusing on just the *stones*... clearly the setting can make a huge difference in how it looks! I do think the more even height will reduce the visual differences in size, so if you want to play up that difference then forcing a bigger difference might be the way to go (how many times can you use difference in a sentence?)... then again, the difference *is* so small, it's probably only a no-way-around-it concern if you choose to bezel the stones - if you're going with prongs then I'd bet money you could get the Look you want by orienting the prongs on the center a certain way, to draw the eye to a slightly different outline --

ETA: okay that's too exaggerated!

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 204

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Amy! It's hard to agonize over every little thing and second guess yourself.

Yssie, thanks for the visual! They're always so helpful! I think a diamond band w/yours would be so lovely..yours is one of my all time favorites ever..now I want to go back and sigh over it some more!

The other thing I'm considering is, I could possibly go a little bigger across the board on all five of them, rather than get a separate diamond band. But w/the inventory as it stands now, I'd either need to drop down to L/M color to get up to the 1.5 tcw range, or wait again for more stones to come in. I've never seen the L/M colors before, so I'm unsure about going that route..and I'm not sure how long I have before I'm not allowed to trade back if I decide on it, so I dunno if it would be ok to wait a few more months for bigger J/K's to come.

Or just do a three stone of .5's and be done. My eyes just always go to the middle three, and I don't know if it's b/c of the setting or b/c I can see the facets better. I think I could lose myself in those dang facets, I just love them.

Missi=big mess

You're right about probably being able to fool the eye tho if I leave them and go w/prongs tho, good call on that! What I've been thinking about: I know 100% I want a Euroshank. No pave in the shank, want to do unplated white gold. I have two ideas so far. One is something like this http://www.nigelmilne.co.uk/item.php?product_id=65 some sort of super thin semi bezels between the stones but so it's like one in the middle and then branches off to curve gently to complete the semi on each stone. My other idea is a variation of this http://www.micropave.com/index.php/rings/five-stone-cushion-diamond-ring.html but I don't want the prongs to be shared, I want the U to come up and break apart into separate pointy prongs. Either setting idea, I want a bridge over the finger like in the LM ring, and I would like the U gallery..I think I can still have that U gallery even w/semi's. Milgrain someplace.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results