shape
carat
color
clarity

Oval w Extra Facets - too much?

WillySymms

Rough_Rock
Hey all! I have my eye on a 2c H SI2 oval. It faces up very well - color looks more like a G than an H and its over 10mm.

However.... it has two extra facets. They're asking $17k for it. As an si2 at that color range that seems pricey. And this is going in a yellow gold ring, so im worried the color is overkill anyways (although I do seem to notice color the most out of anything).

Whats the verdict? Do the extra facets bother you?

Am I overpaying for color that I'm going to wash out anyways?
Screenshot_20200730-233122_Drive.jpg Screenshot_20200730-231948_Drive.jpg

Last edited:

WillySymms

Rough_Rock
Hey all! I have my eye on a 2c H SI2 oval. It faces up very well - color looks more like a G than an H and its over 10mm.

However.... it has two extra facets. They're asking $17k for it. As an si2 at that color range that seems pricey. And this is going in a yellow gold ring, so im worried the color is overkill anyways (although I do seem to notice color the most out of anything).

Whats the verdict? Do the extra facets bother you?

Am I overpaying for color that I'm going to wash out anyways?
View attachment 769570 Screenshot_20200730-231948_Drive.jpg

The second extra facet isn't showing well. Its on the right among that cluster of other marks.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Do you have a real image of the stone itself? I think that’s what you need to look at.

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The location of the extra facet has me wondering it the diamond is much thinner in that spot, and subject to the occasional bang and bump.

There are also feathers that go to the edge of the stone as well, that would be a concern for me as well, unless you are bezel or halo setting the diamond.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have any real pictures/videos? $17k is high for a 2 carat H/SI2. Highest I can find at JA is about $14.5.

WillySymms

Rough_Rock
The location of the extra facet has me wondering it the diamond is much thinner in that spot, and subject to the occasional bang and bump.

There are also feathers that go to the edge of the stone as well, that would be a concern for me as well, unless you are bezel or halo setting the diamond.

Curious what you mean by bang and bump? Just that rather than a facet it might have been damage? Anything specific on the thickness there would you look for as I do a final inspection>

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Curious what you mean by bang and bump? Just that rather than a facet it might have been damage? Anything specific on the thickness there would you look for as I do a final inspection>

No, that since it's thinner in that spot, it may be more fragile if it IS banged or bumped in that spot.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The small extra facets are not of concern. The girdle is medium at it's smallest, so durability in that sense is solid.

The grade setting feather at the girdle is of more importance. It would be advisable to have a qualified and independent gemologist help you assess the durability risk of that feature.

It also depends on how you are going to set it. If the mounting offers some protection such as a bezel setting, that would minimize any concern. Even setting down into a halo offers some protection.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results