shape
carat
color
clarity

Oval Diamond Search

mre94

Rough_Rock
Hi!

I am currently in the market for an oval diamond and have viewed a few in person at Shane Co, which were obviously priced way higher than what other jewelers and online sites provide, but I got an idea of what I want. I tried to work with other jewelers but many don't have Ovals in stock and would have to order in, which led me to possibly shop online (somewhere with free returns).

Specs I'm looking for:
Carats: 1.3ct - 1.6ct
Color: H-J (since yellow gold solitaire setting)
Clarity: SI2 or better
L/W: 1.40 - 1.60

I came across the following diamond and not sure if i should pull the trigger or could find something better.

https://www.withclarity.com/diamonds/index/diamonddetail/id/6323841811

Found same diamond on James Allen, which provides different video perspective:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.51-carat-j-color-si1-clarity-sku-7302497

Thanks!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That one looks very mushy to me, and very tinted for a J. What is your budget?

mre94

Rough_Rock
That one looks very mushy to me, and very tinted for a J. What is your budget?

Hi lovedogs, I was trying to spend $6k-$7k, including a solitaire setting.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely love this one.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.20-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-sku-5939361

And this is kind of chubby and cute haha
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.20-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-sku-6113046

I hate to see you pay for a D color in a yellow gold setting but I like this one, it's lively.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.20-carat-d-color-si1-clarity-sku-7469905

As a side question for oval experts @tyty333 @Matthews1127 @Karl_K why does this faceting pattern (below) look so different than the others? Is this almost an antique cut somehow?
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.21-carat-e-color-si1-clarity-sku-7495884

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are two main facet designs for Oval Diamonds.
Oval Brilliant- The Pavilion mains all meet the girdle, uninterrupted. Like a Round Brilliant. This type can ( but not always) have larger, and brighter flashes- but can also have a bowtie ( but not always)
Oval Modified Brilliant- In this design, the cutter places some "skirt" facets directly below the girdle- although this style is mainly used for Fancy Colored Diamonds, I've also seen colorless ovals cut this way. Generally speaking, OMB's tend to have "crushed ice" look- but again, not all.

It's a complicated shape to assess - impossible without really seeing the stone IMO.
There's a ton of variations in each of the main categories- and some are far less friendly to the camera- especially when sitting on the pavilion. So there are stones that might look "mushy" ina video, that are attractive in life. But again, not all.......I know, it's hard.......If not, I wouldn't have a job :)

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Seeing David's post, I had to see what's on his shelves, of course: WWW - F/SI2 is an intriguing idea; I tend to like 'intriguing' too much though - even an almost windowed diamond!

Another point: because the spread of these things varies so much with obscure details of the cut (aside weight), it should be worth looking at ovals somewhat below 1.3 cts too...

looking

Last edited:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
From Blue Nile...

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD12720298

- is my first choice. D/SI1 9X6mm (1.5L/W) It is easy to find 1.5 cts smaller than this without exaggerating.

Deeper cut ovals can be very beautiful, if smaller (e.g. www ) This one looks too good to not mention!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi!

I am currently in the market for an oval diamond and have viewed a few in person at Shane Co, which were obviously priced way higher than what other jewelers and online sites provide, but I got an idea of what I want. I tried to work with other jewelers but many don't have Ovals in stock and would have to order in, which led me to possibly shop online (somewhere with free returns).

Specs I'm looking for:

I came across the following diamond and not sure if i should pull the trigger or could find something better.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.51-carat-j-color-si1-clarity-sku-7302497

Thanks!
A word of warning to you and others here.
A company called Enchanted Diamonds went bankrupt a few months ago (there is a thread pinned at the top) and one of the strategies of that company was to list diamonds from James Allen even though they had no access to the diamond.
The aim was to switch and bait with a substitute diamond.
So please be very careful with vendors who list or purport to list diamonds from other large vendors as they may not be able to buy the diamond from its current owner at all, ever.
Now that does not mean this diamond is not available, and I have not tested it.

I know nothing about this company, but I want to put out the general warning to all PS'ers to be vigilant about this type of situation.
In addition, if this diamond was available from two vendors, and one vendor gave better information and videos, images etc, then consider which vendor you would want to support?
Finally, although PriceScope is the largest of its type in this space, it is a very small company with limited income and resources. The companies that list diamonds here or advertise make this place possible, so is it not reasonable to support your hosts ? Or is that shilling?

Athena10X

Shiny_Rock
A company called Enchanted Diamonds went bankrupt a few months ago (there is a thread pinned at the top) and one of the strategies of that company was to list diamonds from James Allen even though they had no access to the diamond.
So please be very careful with vendors who list or purport to list diamonds from other large vendors as they may not be able to buy the diamond from its current owner at all, ever.

I know nothing about this company, but I want to put out the general warning to all PS'ers to be vigilant about this type of situation.
In addition, if this diamond was available from two vendors, and one vendor gave better information and videos, images etc, then consider which vendor you would want to support?
Finally, although PriceScope is the largest of its type in this space, it is a very small company with limited income and resources. The companies that list diamonds here or advertise make this place possible, so is it not reasonable to support your hosts ? Or is that shilling?

Very good point. It seems that the GIA reports for this vendor are hosted by Kiran Gem, a diamond manufacturer and sightholder. Not sure if this makes them legit, but wanted to share in case that threw any flags.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi!

Specs I'm looking for:

Thanks!

I would pass on that oval.

I’m looking at August Vintage because they have no bow ties, but it seems they likely are out of your price range. https://www.augustvintageinc.net/collections/opulence?_=pf&page=2

I do suggest contacting David at Diamonds by Lauren to see what he has because I have seen that he has some pears and possibly ovals that are lower clarity but eye clean.

I’ll look around in a minute.

Last edited:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Re: the bolded portion of quote above

Yes, Gary, it is shilling.

According to Pricescope's "About Us" web page:

Pricescope is the premier diamond and jewelry community on the Internet. With over 79,000 registered users and over 400,000 unique visitors per month, Pricescope is the leading independent and unbiased resource for diamond information. Visitors to Pricescope find clear and concise tutorials from industry experts and have their questions answered by knowledgeable forum members. The majority of consumers go online to learn about diamonds, while 90% buy diamonds from brick and mortar shops. Pricescope exists to help consumers get the best value online or in-store. With a strict *no sales* policy, Pricescope provides a safe and spam-free environment for visitors to post opinions and write reviews of vendors. Shoppers have the freedom to discuss a range of topics from buying diamonds online to shopping experiences at Tiffany, Cartier, and local jewelers. Pricescope welcomes visitors with a comfortable atmosphere, and members from all over the world chat live 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

https://www.pricescope.com/about

Pricescope does not stand for the proposition of directing consumers to its sponsors/advertisers, nor for boosting diamond/jewelry purchases of its sponsors/advertisers.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, after you find carat size, compare the actual mm measurements because a smaller carat size could actually be larger face up that a heavier carat size.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
Re: the bolded portion of quote above

Yes, Gary, it is shilling.

According to Pricescope's "About Us" web page:

Pricescope is the premier diamond and jewelry community on the Internet. With over 79,000 registered users and over 400,000 unique visitors per month, Pricescope is the leading independent and unbiased resource for diamond information. Visitors to Pricescope find clear and concise tutorials from industry experts and have their questions answered by knowledgeable forum members. The majority of consumers go online to learn about diamonds, while 90% buy diamonds from brick and mortar shops. Pricescope exists to help consumers get the best value online or in-store. With a strict *no sales* policy, Pricescope provides a safe and spam-free environment for visitors to post opinions and write reviews of vendors. Shoppers have the freedom to discuss a range of topics from buying diamonds online to shopping experiences at Tiffany, Cartier, and local jewelers. Pricescope welcomes visitors with a comfortable atmosphere, and members from all over the world chat live 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

https://www.pricescope.com/about

Pricescope does not stand for the proposition of directing consumers to its sponsors/advertisers, nor for boosting diamond/jewelry purchases of its sponsors/advertisers.
@marymm perhaps you should look up the definition of shill or shilling before you come across as you have. Let me assist you:

shill
(shĭl)Slang
n.

1. One who poses as a satisfied customer or an enthusiastic gambler to dupe bystanders into participating in aswindle.
2. One who publicly promotes another's cause, especially in an extravagant or misleading way.
v. shilled, shill·ing, shills
v.intr.
To act as a shill.
v.tr.
1. To act as a shill for (a deceitful enterprise).
2. To lure (a person) into a swindle.

Gary is doing none of these things, he is simply reminding new buyers of the recent ED debacle and to be aware of where they are buying from. Gary did not mention any particular vendor, simply that PS vendors are generally tried and true.

mre94

Rough_Rock
Agreed, i have noticed that. I was aiming for something around 9mm in length.

Think I am trying to keep between 1.3ct - 1.5ct. I was keen on trying to hit 1.5ct but noticed prices increase and would lose on cut/sparkle if I'm trying to meet my budget. And like you said it depends on the face size.

I like a more elongated oval as well, so around 1.5 L/W

Is around $6k-$6.8k doable for what I am looking for? Assuming setting would be about $300.

I saw these:

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...MONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=sameTab

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...MONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=sameTab

May just try to work with a private jeweler in person if the savings aren't substantial from shopping online, as ovals are tricky to shop for. I did happen to come across a jeweler who was selling me a 1.32ct, I, SI2, 1.56 L/W for $6,900, which looked awesome and better to me than the 1.4ct, J, SI2 he had for $6,800. But as I was barely starting my shopping, so i wasn't sure if this was a good deal or not. So may make a trip back to them.

In the long run, saving $500 by shopping online is not worth it to me.

Sorry, I have never made such a big purchase, so I appreciate all the help thus far! :D

Athena10X

Shiny_Rock
I would pass on that oval.

I’m looking at August Vintage because they have no bow ties, but it seems they likely are out of your price range. https://www.augustvintageinc.net/collections/opulence?_=pf&page=2

Even though Jonathan may not have an Elyque oval in stock in your price range (which I love for their AGS000 grade (I’m a super-ideal snob) and lack of bow-tie, I recommend his concierge service, which I personally used. He can vet through and provide videos of his analysis. He also has a YouTube channel that you can search for educational videos and comparisons of ovals for other customers.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@SandyinAnaheim

Another common definition of "shill" is: A person engaged in covert advertising.
Gary is a PS sponsor/advertiser/trade member, and to me, his post comes across as recommending himself (as well as other PS sponsors/advertisers).

His post also reads to me as attempting to guilt members into recommending and/or purchasing from PS sponsor/advertiser vendor on the basis that PS benefits from their advertising/sponsor dollars.

YMMV.

OP, good luck with your oval search.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gary is a PS sponsor/advertiser/trade member, and to me, his post comes across as recommending himself (as well as other PS sponsors/advertisers).

I understand how it could look that way marymm......but in the interest of context- and fairness.....
Our company did pay for advertising here a few years back- but we stopped being a paid sponsor and have not been one since.
The lack of advertising dollars on our part has had ZERO impact on my ability to participate as a trade member.
Thankfully, we've been recommended here countless times, having nothing to do with a paid sponsorship.
In this regard, PS mgmt is incredibly fair and transparent.

OP- sorry for the threadjack, and good luck!!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Garry has never listed or sold diamonds on PS and is not a PS vendor.
He makes a small amount on ideal-scope(which he developed) and aset scope sales but it does not amount to much.
He makes a small amount of money on business use of the hca to help pay for the new version and patents.
The old version was basically free for years and years and the new one is free to consumers.
He is and always has been an advisor to PS management and a founding member and its no secret he owns a very small share in recognition of that.
Garry has given thousands and thousands of hours over the years both behind the scenes and on the forums helping PS and consumers.

His heart is in the right place with his post, we are mad about what happened to people with the ED mess and are trying to protect consumers.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thx Karl and David for clarifying my position.
And sorry for the thread jack.
(Kiran is a large reputable manufacturer. I have visited their factory a decade ago. I have no doubt about their company)
@SandyinAnaheim

Another common definition of "shill" is: A person engaged in covert advertising.

His post also reads to me as attempting to guilt members into recommending and/or purchasing from PS sponsor/advertiser vendor on the basis that PS benefits from their advertising/sponsor dollars.

YMMV.

OP, good luck with your oval search.
Marymm, I hope those explanations place me in the correct position. Andrey and I do not want to do anything to harm what we have created. PS is our Baby. But we are looking for ways to make it safer for consumers to buy diamonds. We can not influence the security of companies we have no connection with. And we will choose who we would put our money on the line for. That is a simple commercial and security decision.
No one would be forced to take advantage of a guarantee. They would chose to, and pay us a small fee. A fee 100-500 times smaller than the credit card expense vs wire prices.

If that is shilling, then why is there an entire industry that people trust recommending vendors of everything from clothes to cameras and diamonds that people know about and trust?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My quibble with Gary's post #11 was limited solely to the last paragraph: "Finally, although PriceScope is the largest of its type in this space, it is a very small company with limited income and resources. The companies that list diamonds here or advertise make this place possible, so is it not reasonable to support your hosts ? Or is that shilling?"

To my reading, Gary's sentence is asking PS members to support PS by recommending companies that list diamonds on PS or advertise on PS ... whereas, based on Pricescope's stated purpose, I would offer that PS members should recommend diamonds that best fit the needs of the OP's post. Semantics perhaps but an important distinction as far as I am concerned.

Gary's Post #11 does not mention the proposed PS guarantee/insurance scheme, nor do my posts refer to it.

End of threadjack.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, I guess it is semantics both ways Marymm.
A simple curtesy to our sponsors is my request.
That request does not in any way impinge on the core statement:
"Shoppers have the freedom to discuss a range of topics from buying diamonds online to shopping experiences at Tiffany, Cartier, and local jewelers."
Supporting our sponsors supports PricseScope who support you. I hope my post did not sound manipulative. I simply believe that the moderators and Andrey's family deserve to be rewarded for their tireless efforts. And the rewards come in 2 ways: Respect and appreciation and money.
You all get great services for free (except now for HCA).
You collectively have saved many millions of dollars (PS has contributed more than any other org to the competitiveness of online vendors).
Collectively you have become owners or the best looking sparkliest diamonds in the world (my mission and raison d'être).
Sorry for the rant :boohoo:

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
From what's been said to clarify, this wasn't Gary's intent, but I read his post as an implied suggestion that PS sponsors were safe/vetted and that doing business with other vendors was risky, i.e. Enchanted Diamonds. No where does he specifically state those things, but that's the gist I came away with.

I think the recommendation of a PS sponsor just on the stated basis that they are a PS sponsor, especially when coupled with a message of warning that stirs fear or paranoia in potential buyers, is arguably undue influence of a sort, or at least creates that appearance.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results