shape
carat
color
clarity

Oval Diamond Help Please!

lr0614

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

Please help give me your thoughts on the following diamond ring. The details on the IGI report are amazing but I have videos (I am sort of worried about the dark band and bowtie but I'm not sure if I am overthinking it because the jeweler says it is a beautiful oval). I would greatly appreciate your opinion!

Video 1: https://streamable.com/3kw4ys
Video 2: https://streamable.com/8yed7d
Video 3: https://streamable.com/szdc9l

DETAILS
Oval
2.11 carats, F, VVS2
Polish and Symmetry - Excellent
Fluorescence - None
10.13 x 7.43 x 4.39
Table - 57.5
Depth - 59.1
Crown angle - 14.5
Pavilion angle - 41
Girdle - Med to slightly thick
IGI Certified
Image1.png

Thank you all in advance!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you easily see it in person? That is the only way you're going to know if that center area bothers you. Most (well a lot), of ovals have that
center area that in some lighting looks darker because it is return a lot of light.

You are most likely seeing the area I have marked off in green below.

How much is he asking for the stone? We usually recommend that you stick with GIA and AGS graded stones. Other labs tend to be
looser in their grading.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask him for a photo of the diamond, face-up (no tilt).

lr0614

Rough_Rock
Can you easily see it in person? That is the only way you're going to know if that center area bothers you. Most (well a lot), of ovals have that
center area that in some lighting looks darker because it is return a lot of light.

You are most likely seeing the area I have marked off in green below.
capture.jpg

How much is he asking for the stone? We usually recommend that you stick with GIA and AGS graded stones. Other labs tend to be
looser in their grading.

Thank you for your response! I unfortunately cannot - the jeweler is not in my country.
Ask him for a photo of the diamond, face-up (no tilt).

I have a video and a screenshot from the video.

When I asked him about the bowtie, the response was "I think the truth is that all ovals have bowtie but the thing to avoid is definite black across the middle of the stone. I think it's beautiful." But is this a normal/minimal bowtie or am i better getting another oval?
image2.png

stonehunter20

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your response! I unfortunately cannot - the jeweler is not in my country.

When I asked him about the bowtie, the response was "I think the truth is that all ovals have bowtie but the thing to avoid is definite black across the middle of the stone. I think it's beautiful." But is this a normal/minimal bowtie or am i better getting another oval?
image2.png

based on this picture. i definitely see some "black across the middle" of the stone?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium

image2.png

Based on photos and videos here, I will say it is average in terms of light performance.

In addition, based on his camera work and lighting control, I do not feel that the vendor knows how to present a diamond and capture its light performance properly. I personally would not trust his assessment on the diamond.

Your concern is the bowtie, which you expressed to the vendor. He understands and thinks the diamond is beautiful. But he keeps providing these videos with the diamond going dark in the middle.

Last edited:

lr0614

Rough_Rock
Based on photos and videos here, I will say it is average in terms of light performance.

In addition, based on his camera work and lighting control, I do not feel that the vendor knows how to present a diamond and capture its light performance properly. I personally would not trust his assessment on the diamond.

Your concern is the bowtie, which you expressed to the vendor. He understands and thinks the diamond is beautiful. But he keeps providing these videos with the diamond going dark in the middle.

Thank you for your insight, flyingpig. He sent another video in daylight with no overhead lights on. My ring is on the right and a he provided a second option (2.79ct/F/VS1) on the left but it looks more "pill-y" to me. Do you think either of these are acceptable as minimal bowtie in this lighting?

Video: https://streamable.com/6fk7zg

Last edited:

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Proper assessment cannot be made based on videos without knowing the lighting condition. But I will try anyway.

I think both are average in regard to light return and bowtie. The bowties are there in both.
Having that said, I like one on the right (ring). And I agree with your assessment

1. I prefer the overall shape that gets narrower towards the ends.
2. It appears to have smaller table and steeper crown. One on the left (loose) looks a bit flatter.

For many, this stone is an automatic reject mainly because of the bowtie. But I find the overall shape appealing. Keep in mind I am less strict on light performance than others are.

lr0614

Rough_Rock
Proper assessment cannot be made based on videos without knowing the lighting condition. But I will try anyway.

I think both are average in regard to light return and bowtie. The bowties are there in both.
Having that said, I like one on the right (ring). And I agree with your assessment

1. I prefer the overall shape that gets narrower towards the ends.
2. It appears to have smaller table and steeper crown. One on the left (loose) looks a bit flatter.

For many, this stone is an automatic reject mainly because of the bowtie. But I find the overall shape appealing. Keep in mind I am less strict on light performance than others are.

Thank you very much for your assistance, flyingpig! I really appreciate it.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the bowtie is really noticible and would bother me (the stone in the ring). I kind of like the "fatter" one, but i don't think it's better in terms of performance itself--just a personal preference.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results