shape
carat
color
clarity

Oval cut vs. Round Brilliant dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

midnightsunmatt

Rough_Rock
Trade
Until a couple hours ago, I always assumed I would buy a round brilliant cut diamond (likely Whiteflash, GOG, etc) for an engagement ring. Just for the heck of it, I decided I would search around for some oval shaped diamonds because I think the shape has a nice look. I was stunned by how much cheaper they seem to be per carat. Given my budget, (7.5-9k), I realize that I could buy a much larger oval diamond than a round brilliant.

For example, for $7,500 I could buy a 1.3 carat oval diamond, as compared to a 1.00 carat Whiteflash ACA.

I know that H&A rounds are cut much better than an oval, but my question is at what point does a larger size start to offset the advantage of a great cut?

In your opinion, would a H&A round brilliant 1.00 carat diamond be an obviously better choice than a well cut 1.3 carat oval?

Teaching in bush Alaska prevents me from doing any B&M jewelry store circuit tour to investigate at the moment, I just thought I would get your thoughts.

Thanks,

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/21/2010 1:44:33 AM
Author:midnightsunmatt

Until a couple hours ago, I always assumed I would buy a round brilliant cut diamond (likely Whiteflash, GOG, etc) for an engagement ring. Just for the heck of it, I decided I would search around for some oval shaped diamonds because I think the shape has a nice look. I was stunned by how much cheaper they seem to be per carat. Given my budget, (7.5-9k), I realize that I could buy a much larger oval diamond than a round brilliant.

For example, for $7,500 I could buy a 1.3 carat oval diamond, as compared to a 1.00 carat Whiteflash ACA.

I know that H&A rounds are cut much better than an oval, but my question is at what point does a larger size start to offset the advantage of a great cut?

In your opinion, would a H&A round brilliant 1.00 carat diamond be an obviously better choice than a well cut 1.3 carat oval?

Teaching in bush Alaska prevents me from doing any B&M jewelry store circuit tour to investigate at the moment, I just thought I would get your thoughts.

Thanks,
I definitely wouldn''t say that
1.gif
They''re different shapes with different looks, so it''s not really fair to compare the two. Overall I''d say if size is important to you get the larger oval (which will look even larger for its carat weight on your finger)... just get a well cut oval and it''ll sparkle plenty
10.gif

I think RBs would give out a more balanced sparkle, overall, but a beautiful oval is nothing to sneeze at!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/21/2010 1:55:34 AM
Author: yssie

Date: 1/21/2010 1:44:33 AM
Author:midnightsunmatt

Thanks,
I definitely wouldn''t say that
1.gif
They''re different shapes with different looks, so it''s not really fair to compare the two. Overall I''d say if size is important to you get the larger oval (which will look even larger for its carat weight on your finger)... just get a well cut oval and it''ll sparkle plenty
10.gif

I think RBs would give out a more balanced sparkle, overall, but a beautiful oval is nothing to sneeze at!
I agree with yssie.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
size really depends on how the oval is cut, a higher weight oval might not necessary have a larger dimension/surface area as a similar weight round. Also oval is rarer as it is not that much in demand, so a well cut oval is even rarer.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
If the diamond is going to be a gift, make sure you know what shape she prefers. I LOVE my oval, but I like to be a bit different (on my 3rd e-ring stone, none of which were rounds).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Advantage of H&A? Easier to shop for as there are more of them, and the parameters are pretty well defined on here and you can probably get on within a week of shopping, if not a day (if you have us choose for you).

Advantage of ovals... as you noted: more spread, lower cost.

So if you want quick and easy... H&A. If you have some patience for the hunt... why not an oval? There are some stunning oval rings you can get and you have a nice budget for one. As with any fancy you will need pics, an ASET, and a good vendor to tell you what''s what honestly.

Kaleigh has one of the most beautiful ovals I''ve seen and she purchased through GOG. If I were to look for an oval they would be my first choice because of the ease of calling them and saying: "Here''s my budget, Here''s my color and clarity requirements. I want a Length to Width ratio in this range. And I want absolutely NO bowtie. Here''s my timeline. Ready, set... GO!"

They''ll even make a video for you.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
What are the mm measurements of the two different options? I know a 1ct RB is 6.5mm. What is a 1.3mm oval?

I love ovals set with bullet sides on a delicate band. If BIG is your wish, then do what Gypsy suggests.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2010 6:06:50 PM
Author: Gypsy

Advantage of H&A? Easier to shop for as there are more of them, and the parameters are pretty well defined on here and you can probably get on within a week of shopping, if not a day (if you have us choose for you).

Advantage of ovals... as you noted: more spread, lower cost.

So if you want quick and easy... H&A. If you have some patience for the hunt... why not an oval? There are some stunning oval rings you can get and you have a nice budget for one. As with any fancy you will need pics, an ASET, and a good vendor to tell you what''s what honestly.

Kaleigh has one of the most beautiful ovals I''ve seen and she purchased through GOG. If I were to look for an oval they would be my first choice because of the ease of calling them and saying: ''Here''s my budget, Here''s my color and clarity requirements. I want a Length to Width ratio in this range. And I want absolutely NO bowtie. Here''s my timeline. Ready, set... GO!''

They''ll even make a video for you.

Thanks Gypsy!!!
1.gif

GOG, Jonathon knew I was super picky and made a video for me, so I could pick one. He brought in 4. Talk about customer service. You can''t go by numbers... But the spread can''t beat it. Maybe someone can post a pic of it for you. I am lame at doing that. Still don''t know how to do it... This ring was done for my 20th anniversary. Hubby knew enough to let me do my thing, LOL!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

midnightsunmatt

Rough_Rock
Trade
Just from doing some quick searches, it appears that I can get a sizably larger carat weight for my $ in an oval. However, I do not know anything about what a quality cut for an oval would look like in terms of data, or where to get one other than to call up GOG as suggested and take their word for things.

I want to stay in the D-F, VS2 range. After doing some quick searching on Whiteflash I see that I could get the following ovals:

1.51, F, VS2 $7,009 (GIA)
1.50, F, VS2 $8,510 (GIA)
1.51 F, VS2 $8,568 (EGL)

These three all have great carat weight for cost, but they could be cut terribly and I would have no way to know.

By comparison, I could get the following round brilliant Whiteflash ACA for a similar price:

1.07 F, VS2 $8,120 (AGS)
1.20 G, VS2 $9,029 (AGS)

I like the prospect of getting something larger that an oval offers, but I certainly don''t want to buy something that is dull just to go larger.

*Another consideration: Do most settings designed for round brilliants work for ovals?? Or is it necessary to have a setting specially designed for an oval?? This would effect my decision.

This is the setting I am considering buying for her:

http://www.tacori.com/images/jewelry/HT2130_multi.zoom.jpg
http://www.tacori.com/images/jewelry/alt-zoom/HT2130_alt.jpg

Would this setting work with an oval, or would it require a round stone?

Thanks,

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Midnight... you don't have to take any vendor's word for things. At least not BGD, GOG, HPD, JA, or WF as you mentioned. All of them offer pics... multiple pics in some cases. Scans. ASETs or IS images. And specs. Plus some have video (GOG and HPD do) And all have great retrun policies if all that isn't enough for you so that you can have it sent to you (even in Alaska) and see what you think yourself in person. Just post all the images/ scans or whatever you get and you will get a number of people on here with no stake in things to help you interpret what you are seeing and give you their opinions on things.

That said... all of the vendors above also have a strong reputation for giving consumer's the truth about the diamonds they are sourcing, as they don't want a bad experience any more than you do. And if all that fails. They take returns within a reasonable time period, and you can get a H&A or anything else you want, with a refund (minus shipping and perhaps some sourcing fee, depending on the vendor).

Honestly, you found a good place and you aren't at the mercy of anyone-- vendor or not. We love helping people find their sparklies.

About Tacori... they make settings to order individually. So an oval shouldn't be an issue. GOG is a Tacori dealer, actually, I believe. You can also get Tacori through... ERD? He's not an authorized retailer, but I think he can get settings in from them. Some settings will work. Anything made to order generally will. Stock settings with peg heads will. Stock settings with integrated heads that are not made to order and have heads for rounds won't.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those numbers are good. But you can't avoid a bowtie from the numbers.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6874/ Here's an example of what GOG will provide you with. Two pics (one close for inclusions and plotting and one far). The certificate. An IS. An ASET.

From this I can tell that the oval pictured has A) a large bowtie B) a large table. Pretty nice even facetting. White color. Lovely even oval outline. No visible inclusions. Depth is good. Spread is good.

Would I buy it (even if it weren't in budget). No, cause the bowtie would bug me, personally. But I had plenty of information at my fingertips with which to make that assessement. GOG will do this for any stones they get in for you. Plus a video, usually so you can see the multiple stones you are considering side by side and see how they refract and reflect light in different lighting conditions.

Here's one from JA. Just the cert, one pic and stats posted. Can ask for rest and they will provide to you via email. http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VS1-Premium-Cut-Oval-Diamond-1212967.asp Definitely in budget... and leaves you a lot for a setting. You could do a three stone with this one, because your budget go farther or you can go for platinum... both even depending on the three stone you pic. On the deep side, so the spread isn't the best, but it doesn't look like it has a bowtie as a trade off. Nice carat weight, color and clarity. It is a little fatter that I like... I like l/w ratio of over 1.3 at a minimum. But overall, has potential if you like the shape and the size.

Here's another. http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS1-Premium-Cut-Oval-Diamond-1186327.asp Has potential too. I'd have them pull it and view it for a bowtie. If it's good to their eyes you can go from there. I like the size the l/w ratio, the shape is up to you (it's a bit egg shaped, personal preference), price and color and clarity are all good. So are the rest of the numbers... deep-ish, but the spread is nice.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ovals can be very beautiful stones and it sounds like you are working with some great vendors that will help you find a gorgeous diamond.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I can''t wait to see what you pick, you''ll find a gorgeous oval stone and the ring will be amazing!

midnightsunmatt

Rough_Rock
Trade
Another consideration I just wanted to mention is my beau has very long fingers (ring size 5.5). In fact, her fingers are as long as mine are (and I''m 6''3").

Would her long finger length in any way effect whether a round brilliant or oval stone would be the better choice?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All shapes look flattering on long, slender fingers
1.gif
, methinks

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does your gf have a preference about diaond shape?

midnightsunmatt

Rough_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/22/2010 2:23:38 AM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
Does your gf have a preference about diamond shape?

She is Chinese and hasn''t seen a whole lot of diamond rings. I am pretty sure she would just try to figure out which one was cheaper and then say she liked that one the best (she would never spend money on herself if I didn''t do it). I am sure she will like either, plus I think she would prefer to be surprised than to be asked.

Do you have any opinion on which would look better? A H&A round brilliant 1 carat, or a approximately 1.3-1.4 carat oval. I would go for around E-F color and VS2 regardless of shape. I realize that question is subjective and open to personal opinion, but what do you think? I am not at liberty to physically visit jewelry stores and look for myself.

Thanks,

Matt

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
They both look good. It's like asking someone if your GF would prefer apples or oranges, honestly. We don't know and it's all fruit. She sounds like she has lovely hands. With long thin fingers lots of things look great. If she's not generally a 'showy' type of person... maybe size isn't a big deal. If she's traditional and likes things that are classic and just plain simple and elegant... any solitaire will do, most likely. An EC, a round, an oval.... If she's into vintagey stuff, a nice OEC or cushion might be lovely. It's hard to guess without knowing more about her.

Can you tell us about her and we'll try to recommend what we can? Specifically, what is her personality like? What is her clothing style. What other jewelry does she wear? What professional field is she in? If she's in fashion or media versus a nurse or a surgeon... our recommendations might change. What's her lifestyle... is her home casual, traditional, contemporary, a show place....

midnightsunmatt

Rough_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/22/2010 3:26:10 AM
They both look good. It''s like asking someone if your GF would prefer apples or oranges, honestly. We don''t know and it''s all fruit. She sounds like she has lovely hands. With long thin fingers lots of things look great. If she''s not generally a ''showy'' type of person... maybe size isn''t a big deal. If she''s traditional and likes things that are classic and just plain simple and elegant... any solitaire will do, most likely. An EC, a round, an oval.... If she''s into vintagey stuff, a nice OEC or cushion might be lovely. It''s hard to guess without knowing more about her.

Can you tell us about her and we''ll try to recommend what we can? Specifically, what is her personality like? What is her clothing style. What other jewelry does she wear? What professional field is she in? If she''s in fashion or media versus a nurse or a surgeon... our recommendations might change. What''s her lifestyle... is her home casual, traditional, contemporary, a show place....

Okay, this is a long story, but here''s the background I think would be relevant:

1. We are actually already married (June 16th in China) and are awaiting her immigrant visa. She will be living in Beijing until that goes through. We are having a formal wedding ceremony (with families & pictures, etc) in China next summer. We decided to wait on a ring until I could get back to the US (buying in China didn''t seem wise).

2. Since we were only ''engaged'' for a short time before we were married (and since we are now already officially married) it doesn''t make sense to give her two rings (engagement and wedding), therefore I was planning to give her one very nice ring instead, I was thinking one with a wider band than a typical engagement ring. This is what I tentatively had in mind for a setting, let me know what you think:

http://www.tacori.com/images/jewelry/HT2130_multi.zoom.jpg
http://www.tacori.com/images/jewelry/alt-zoom/HT2130_alt.jpg

3. Her personality is spunky and independent, practical and semi-conservative. She would generally not want to spend a lot of money on herself (this is why asking her what she likes would not be practical because she would likely try to save money).

4. She often dresses casually (jeans and a top) or wears dresses in the summer. She wears nice clothes, but they are not generally tpp revealing aside from the obvious aspects involved in wearing dresses. She does not wear a lot of jewelry. She currently wears a sapphire white gold ring that I gave her, and a white gold necklace that her mother gave her. She doesn''t have pierced ears, but she plans to get them pierced when she comes here. She is approximately 5''8" and thin as a rail.

4. She is currently an English teacher in China, but will be a Chinese teacher in the US.

Wow, its shocking how complex buying a ring can be, and how many things there are to consider! Hopefully this gives you some insight.

My basic budget would be somewhere between $7,500-$9,000 for a diamond. That setting I linked was $6,500 and I want to stay at or under that amount for the setting.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd go for VS1, round in a nice setting DEF color. H&A. Size isn't going to matter. Quality is. In the east they have a different perception of quality, from what I understand from my asian friends and from the boards, the 'quality' of the diamond means more than the size. If you are getting one ring, get her the best and wow her with those hearts and arrows and all that precison cutting and light return. That's my 2 cents anyway.

Congrats on your wedding! And you sound like a very sweet and thoughtful husband to want to get her the nicest ring you can. I'm sure she'd love anything you'd buy her, but... show her the threads so she can read your words. They and your feelings are the true gems.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
As far as settings, assuming you''ve priced out Tacori and know what you are in for pricing wise. I''d like to suggest one of these three as well for consideration. http://www.tacori.com/images/jewelry/30013000RD65_multi.zoom.jpg split shanks look great as stand alone rings.

This one is a lovely as well: http://www.tacori.com/images/jewelry/30043000RD65_multi.zoom.jpg And would look great as a standalone. And you can add two matching thin band on either side for an anniversary present down the road. It looks lovely with them.

And my favorite all time Tacori (it''s pricey, but it will take your breath away when you see it. I have "visited" this one in the store many times. Many, many times. And I love my ring, which looks nothing like it). http://www.tacori.com/images/jewelry/HT251012X_multi.zoom.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, last post before bed.

Since I personally would probably kill my husband for spending 6.5K on a setting. I'd like to suggest one more... it's from BGD. It is NOT 6.5K (i've priced it out) and is stunning and wide and blingtastic. And would look amazing with a round diamond center and BGD carries hearts and arrows. They can add milgrain or whatever you want to it., though I think it's just jaw dropping as it is.. and I'm sure it still wouldn't be 6.5K even in platinum-- closer to 4K in platinum. And it can stand alone.

It is currently my all time favorite setting (that I am thinking of having them make into a band) https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bgd-barry-bridgestock-tourmaline-ring.132591/ Would look fabulous with a round center... or with an oval as pictured. And again, wouldn't cost 6.5K. WOW that is A LOT, A LOT for a setting.

midnightsunmatt

Rough_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/22/2010 4:56:42 AM
As far as settings, assuming you''ve priced out Tacori and know what you are in for pricing wise. I''d like to suggest one of these three as well for consideration. http://www.tacori.com/images/jewelry/30013000RD65_multi.zoom.jpg split shanks look great as stand alone rings.

This one is a lovely as well: http://www.tacori.com/images/jewelry/30043000RD65_multi.zoom.jpg And would look great as a standalone. And you can add two matching thin band on either side for an anniversary present down the road. It looks lovely with them.

And my favorite all time Tacori (it''s pricey, but it will take your breath away when you see it. I have ''visited'' this one in the store many times. Many, many times. And I love my ring, which looks nothing like it). http://www.tacori.com/images/jewelry/HT251012X_multi.zoom.jpg

Your favorite setting is very similar to another one that I liked:

http://www.tacori.com/images/jewelry/HT2515RD812X_multi.zoom.jpg

Do you think that a style like the one you linked or this one, would be better as a single ring than the first one I linked?

Thanks,

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The one I linked to doesn''t have a halo around it (the ring around the center stone). I think, personally, as a standalone I''d rather have either the one with the halo, or the one I liked. The baguettes on the other one aren''t screaming standalone to me.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
BTW. Have you considered a three stone? Sorry, I just keep thinking 6.5K and setting and I'd want diamonds for that price man. Pear sidestones, round sidestones (past present future). Work well as a stand alone. You could get one custom made by Leon Mege who has some of the most beautiful three stone settings ever. Heck you could do a five stone. All that white firey goodness. So classic and lovely and arresting. And the finger coverage.

sjjc6.jpg

midnightsunmatt

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks a lot for all your help! I have a lot to think about! I''ll take your advice and stick with a H&A round center.

For the setting, I''ll consider those you linked.

You''re probably right, that is a lot of $ to spend on a setting, I''ll also keep my eye out for other ideas.

Thanks again,

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Anytime. I added a pic to the above.

Start another post about settings. Post your budget and ask for stand alone ring recommendations. See what the others have to say and suggest. We''re a helpful bunch!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results