shape
carat
color
clarity

our own John Pollard in a AGS podcast advertisement

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Re: Bad diamonds and irresponsible labs are not block Innovation . Very often Bad diamond is just step to something new what could be nice

Come on Serg. That’s the science guy talking. You and I both know why steep/deep and vtk-etk are cut, and it has nothing to do with a step to something “nice.”

John,
what could you say about MSS diamond number 15 and 17?
http://www.octonus.com/oct/mss/

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/14/2008 5:57:42 PM
Author: DiaGem

Date: 8/14/2008 5:53:29 PM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 8/14/2008 5:32:07 PM
Author: John Pollard

If given a choice, blind, to take delivery of 100 IGI/EGL/GIA princess cuts or 100 AGS0 princess cuts (same carat/color/clarity) which choice do you predict would result in the collection with the highest cut quality and overall performance? Same question with rounds.
Not knowing who cut them certainly AGS for rounds and princess cuts with no other information.
But If I had IS images and c&p angles for the rounds then I would use that over any cut grade.
When buying blind and in the dark AGS is a little safer than the others for rounds and a lot for princess cuts.
That does not extend into step cuts however.
Why would you say a lot safer for Princess Cuts Storm??

Other Labs( except AGS) have not reasonable cut grade system for Princess cuts.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

If given a choice, blind, to take delivery of 100 IGI/EGL/GIA princess cuts or 100 AGS0 princess cuts (same carat/color/clarity) which choice do you predict would result in the collection with the highest cut quality and overall performance? Same question with rounds.

Not knowing who cut them certainly AGS for rounds and princess cuts with no other information.

But If I had IS images and c&p angles for the rounds then I would use that over any cut grade.

When buying blind and in the dark AGS is a little safer than the others for rounds and a lot for princess cuts.

There is a much smaller percentage of well cut princess cuts on the market than well cut rounds compared to the total available.
Also in my opinion there is a much larger visual difference between a well cut princess and the average princess than between the average RB and the well cut RB.
Even in the mall stores the average cut of the RB diamonds available here is better than it was 5 years ago.
The princess cuts on the other hand are the same old lifeless cuts.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/14/2008 6:04:07 PM

There is a much smaller percentage of well cut princess cuts on the market than well cut rounds compared to the total available.
Also in my opinion there is a much larger visual difference between a well cut princess and the average princess than between the average RB and the well cut RB.
Even in the mall stores the average cut of the RB diamonds available here is better than it was 5 years ago.
Maybe you could answer my previous question...
What are the tolerances for TD% that is within the scope of an AGS 0 Princess??

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/14/2008 6:04:07 PM

Naturally because there are much more rounds vs Princess''s out there...

I dont agree as the scope needed to achieve AGS 0 Princess is much wider than the scope for AGS 0 rounds (unless I am wrong on my assumption on this one...), but if I am right..., naturally there will be more of a visual effect on the rounds....

Mainly because of consumer edu. these past years, Diamond manufacturers had no choice but to cut better makes of any shape Diamonds...

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/14/2008 6:12:57 PM

Date: 8/14/2008 6:07:09 PM
Maybe you could answer my previous question...

What are the tolerances for TD% that is within the scope of an AGS 0 Princess??
Paul is likely the only one here who can answer that but he would likely point you to this article first:

http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/21/1/The-matter-of-depth-in-a-princess-cut.aspx

Like our beloved step cuts the ratio of spread to depth is not linear.
I read it in the past and agreed with it as this explanation can work on more fancy shapes than just the Princess cuts...
But surely AGS has some-kind of TD% scope for the Princess cuts..., and I am somehow certain its a wider scope than the rounds...

As I am certain the AGS tried to limit or put a range on "our beloved" EC or SEC which till this day is not taken seriously!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
DG,
Rather than do a long quote...
I wasn't clear...
The percentage I was talking about is against the total for each type well cut princess vs all princess and well cut round vs round.

using a pretend 1 to 10 scale of diamond beauty...
The average rb on the market in my area is a 6 and the best rb a 10
The average princess on the market in my area is a 3 and the best a 10
The difference between average and best is much wider in princess cuts.
In my opinion and according to my observations.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/14/2008 5:44:12 PM

Date: 8/14/2008 5:28:03 PM
I have been reading this thread..., and the more I read it the more commercial it becomes to me...., (The AGS etc..., the AGS etc..., and etc again...)

Serg, I am completely with you on your thoughts and writing....
DG, can you elaborate? What is it, exactly, that you disagree with in terms of the AGS grading metric?

I have been long agreeing with Serg on what AGS identifies as the 'best'..., or as you prefer 'real ideal'...

Also, can you answer this question (from above):

John..., I understand the fact that AGS offered you a stage..., but I wouldnt be caught wording the following as I 'strongly' disagree with the following words you said: (maybe not the exact words but....)

-AGS Ideal, the BEST diamond a consumer can buy...
-...new quality benchmark for beauty...
-...ONLY WAY to be sure or certain you have something special ... stick with AGS Ideal...

Common John..., you know my thoughts on Diamonds beauty already...
1.gif

John..., what are the TD% tolerances of AGS to stay within the AGS0 Princess cut scope??
55-80%. But it depends on overall configuration, of course.

Regarding disagreement; my first post in this thread explained that this format was different than an extended discussion like we'd have here. People on PS have the benefit of web 2.0 and days of interaction. The podcast is one-way and just hopes to stop people from making bad decisions.

If you have a solution to help shoppers preparing to buy terribly cut commercial goods today please let me know. If you don't I think those steered towards the best cut grading systems we currently have in major markets will be thankful for the advice.

(I also wish you'd take the suggestion to actually visit AGS and speak in person with the researchers there)

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/14/2008 6:03:51 PM
Author: Serg

Isnt the AGS the only lab (our of the other leading labs) which issues a cut grade for princess cuts?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/14/2008 6:26:18 PM

I have been reading this thread..., and the more I read it the more commercial it becomes to me...., (The AGS etc..., the AGS etc..., and etc again...)

DG, can you elaborate? What is it, exactly, that you disagree with in terms of the AGS grading metric?

I have been long agreeing with Serg on what AGS identifies as the 'best'..., or as you prefer 'real ideal'...

John..., I understand the fact that AGS offered you a stage..., but I wouldnt be caught wording the following as I 'strongly' disagree with the following words you said: (maybe not the exact words but....)

-...ONLY WAY to be sure or certain you have something special ... stick with AGS Ideal...

1.gif

John..., what are the TD% tolerances of AGS to stay within the AGS0 Princess cut scope??

Of course..., but did anyone ever calculated statistics on how many AGS 0 princess cuts are cut to 55-60% vs 75-80%? I think the numbers would surprise us all
2.gif

Regarding disagreement; my first post in this thread explained that this format was different than an extended discussion like we'd have here. People on PS have the benefit of web 2.0 and days of interaction. The podcast is one-way and just hopes to stop people from making bad decisions.

Ok..., Robin Hood
11.gif
, but I am still hopeful that not ALL jewelers are deceivers..., maybe I am naive..., but will not give up on the luxury called "trust" in this industry...
1.gif

If you have a solution to help shoppers preparing to buy terribly cut commercial goods today please let me know. If you don't I think those steered towards the best cut grading systems we currently have in major markets will be thankful for the advice.

(I also wish you'd take the suggestion to actually visit AGS and speak in person with the researchers there)

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/14/2008 11:58:52 AM

Re: Perhaps someday you will have created something equal

Wink,

Firstly I want clarify technically what AGS did.

They took nice diamond ( real nice diamond, say “modern Tolkowsky”) like Sample( gave highest performance grade to this diamond)

Any deviation in “LR” metrics ASG uses for penalty.

It is same system like old parametrical cut grade system, but they just change geometrical parameters to “LR”( BLR) parameters ( of course ASG uses 3d model, durability,..)
I just try simply show what AGS did.

LR penalty is much more correct and reasonable than penalty based on deviation geometrical parameters.
But much more correct is not mean Correct.

Because ASG has not correct LR metrics, AGS Can Not grade different cuts in Same Scale ( One rules for All cuts)

We had such system in 1999 , And I and Yuri Showed this Idea to Peter Yantzer in 2000 year( In ASG lab)

I had a lot of suggestions to implement our system for Cut Grading , I rejected all its for one reason . Such system incorrect technically and will create big problems for diamond industry.
But ASG did it

About you and your clients. You can receive exactly same results just cut round diamonds with single set proportion . Any Lab could introduce such system

I will not even try create something equal. I understand what it is wrong way before 2004 year.( At least it is wrong way for me. I do not like give highest performance cut grade for simple Emerald. I do not like block developing new nice fancy cuts what could be much more nice than classical Tolkowsky cut)

I am doing something opposite .
Sorry, I have been very busy and have not had a chance to respond to this today.

I apologise for not taking the language barrier into consideration. I did not mean to imply that you would create something equal to what you do not like.

I meant to imply that when you have created something eqaully useful to me and to other vendors, we will embrace it. I fully expect what you do to be totally different, there would be no earthly reason for you to create what has already been done.

I look forward to seeing what you create. In the meantime I will continue to charish and use what AGS hath wrought, it works so well for me.

Wink

P.S. You mentioned in one of your posts that cutters developed the AGS 0 type cutting before AGS developed the grade. That may be perhaps true, but I also know that Paul Slegers of Infinity cut his first princess cuts to be within the parameters given to him and other cutters by AGS, so I am not sure if some other cutter developed this first, or if the metric was developed, and then the diamonds were cut to fit it. Perhaps Paul knows.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/14/2008 11:50:38 AM
Author: stone_seeker
Wink - If only all vendors were like you. Many are not as honest about their product.

I once walked into a store on 47th Street with a binder full of information gathered here on PS and other places. I wanted to make an informed decision. I was basically laughed at while the guys behind the counter started talking in another language that I didnt know. These same people had ''ideal'' cut written all over their merchandise because they know it will help them sell the stone that is probably a dud outside of their nice lights.

There are many vendors that no matter the laws or standards that are set that much rather sell to the person who knows nothing about diamonds. These people will always exist and i''m not sure what can ever be done about that. At a minimum, some form or trademark on the ''ideal cut'' rating would at least put some teeth behind the many other better business laws that exist to protect the consumer.
Wow, thank you for your kind words! There are a LOT of good vendors around, it can just be hard to find us sometimes because of the vendors you speak of trying so hard to confuse you.

Pricescope is such a great tool for the people who look hard enough to find it.

Thanks again for labeling me as one of the good guys.

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/14/2008 3:28:23 PM
lots of ground being covered here:

1: no one owns the word ideal, Every one of those examples you posted John they have a legal and moral right to use the word.
AGS does not own the word ideal, they should use a term they own.
The word ideal is meaningless in today''s market is the best message we can send out at this point.
Pushing the term ideal does nothing to fix the problem.

2: Grading all diamonds on the same scale.
While comparisons can be made in some areas different cuts get their beauty in different ways.
A round and an EC/SE performance is not directly comparable because the criteria for picking the best round is not the same criteria for picking the best EC/SE.
Showing consumers what to look for in each cut is the proper thing to do while not limiting choices.
That is what I am dedicated to with EC/SE cuts.

3: Wink do you sell ideal cut diamonds or do you sell beautiful diamonds?
Send the same stones to GIA and they would still pick the same stones.

4: I love unique and different diamonds. Trying to force diamonds into one narrow zone or box is bad for consumers and the market. (Serg''s point that I agree with 100%).
I sell both. If GIA had a cut grading system that I believed in as well as AGS then I probably would use GIA, but unfortunately they do not. I am a firm believer that AGS has a system that better quantifies what Paul cuts, and I am glad that he uses them, even though they would be easier to sell with GIA papers.

I also have always admired and respected what AGS the organization stands for, long before they built their lab as a response to GIA not grading cut to the standards that AGS members needed.

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I am not Storm and I would not deign to answer for him, but for me it is easy. The AGS 0 princess cuts will on average be MUCH more beautiful to the eye than the average cut "stuff" that you will get with the other labs. I have seen thousands of princess cuts, and most of them were woefully wasted use of rough. When they are a beauty, wow! And yes, I have seen many WOW princess cuts with other lab reports than AGS, just not consistently.

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

YAY! Sergey and I are in accord!

Wink

HariSeldon

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 2:28:31 PM
re:Serg, I didn''t know it was sensitive.

John,

It was not sensitive for me at all. It is not my country at least( I hope you belive me here at least. You saw me)

I think It is sensitive( very risky) for PS.

don''t wanna get PS blocked behind the great firewall of china!
23.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/14/2008 5:00:06 PM

Date: 8/14/2008 3:14:36 PM

Now commercial reason to improve round and princess cuts is absent. AGS killed this reason. Cutters have not reason more to invest money to improve these two cuts
I don''t think so Sergey. AGS Ideal cuts are beautiful, which is why they enjoy the reputation they have, but less than 2% of diamonds produced are sent to AGS because that level of light performance is hard to acquire; manufacturers prefer to send most goods to other labs. John the main reason AGS do not get more business is because of their strict sym and polish rules. If they change that their biz and importance would grow very fast. But at present they only earn 3-4% more for their clients according to AGS''s own ad''s.

With such a small footprint I don''t think AGS could ''kill'' anything. You should be more concerned with GIA. Have you followed manufacturing trends? More and more producers are going after the steep/deep end of GIA EX rounds. Unlike cutters who target AGS0, some of these GIA EX are not even good performers. So, if you''re chasing manufacturer motives the steep/deep end of GIA is a more worthy target. I agree, and it is bad / sad. But we, the Cut group, have been the only critics, and no one in the trade seems to care, which is why Pricescope is sooo important.
On the vast improvement in cut quality that has happened over the past decade, I believe Pricescope and the experts and advanced consumers here have played as important a role as any other player.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 6:31:53 PM

I have been long agreeing with Serg on what AGS identifies as the ''best''..., or as you prefer ''real ideal''...

John..., I understand the fact that AGS offered you a stage..., but I wouldnt be caught wording the following as I ''strongly'' disagree with the following words you said: (maybe not the exact words but....)

1.gif

Of course..., but did anyone ever calculated statistics on how many AGS 0 princess cuts are cut to 55-60% vs 75-80%? I think the numbers would surprise us all
2.gif

Regarding disagreement; my first post in this thread explained that this format was different than an extended discussion like we''d have here. People on PS have the benefit of web 2.0 and days of interaction. The podcast is one-way and just hopes to stop people from making bad decisions.

Ok..., Robin Hood
11.gif
, but I am still hopeful that not ALL jewelers are deceivers..., maybe I am naive..., but will not give up on the luxury called ''trust'' in this industry...
1.gif

If you have a solution to help shoppers preparing to buy terribly cut commercial goods today please let me know. If you don''t I think those steered towards the best cut grading systems we currently have in major markets will be thankful for the advice.

(I also wish you''d take the suggestion to actually visit AGS and speak in person with the researchers there)
DiaGem, this comment really helps to shed light on why you may find the line of thinking in this thread difficult.

You come from the approach of "not all jewelers are deceivers", which seems as though you feel John is suggesting the opposite.

I honestly don''t think that''s true.

Some of these ''jewelers'' salespeople don''t actually *know* enough about their own products to even grasp that they are misinformed. It''s not necessarily always a willful attempt at deception, but often rather a lack of knowledge. They suffer from tutelage at the feet of others who don''t know much more about well-cut stones because they don''t sell them.

Your definition of ''jeweler'' would imply that all jewelers are knowledgable folks in the industry with lots of knowledge and experience. That''s not the reality in the marketplace....at least not in this country.

Beyond that, the goal of most local retail outfitters is to sell what they have. Since they don''t have an abundance of phenominal goods available to them, it''s not a priority to learn about better goods. It''s not a priority to educate customers if that education means they now won''t buy from you because your goods aren''t top-make.

Very simply put, if you''re a Volkswagon salesman and not necessarily a leader in your industry, it''s likely not in your best interest to educate clients so that they understand every other car on the market and where your VW option falls in that pecking order. It''s likely not in your interest to understand how the engine of a Ferrari works, either, since that information does nothing to help you sell a VW. In fact, if you''re the car salesman, you don''t even necessarily want to know the mechanics of how to actually fix your own brand....you only need enough information to help potential buyers understand why your VW brand might fit their needs. Being self-interested doesn''t necessarily mean being willfully deceitful; more often it means being unconcerned with trivia that doesn''t help your own cause.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/14/2008 11:36:25 PM
Author: Allison D.

Date: 8/14/2008 6:31:53 PM

2.gif

Regarding disagreement; my first post in this thread explained that this format was different than an extended discussion like we''d have here. People on PS have the benefit of web 2.0 and days of interaction. The podcast is one-way and just hopes to stop people from making bad decisions.

Ok..., Robin Hood
11.gif
, but I am still hopeful that not ALL jewelers are deceivers..., maybe I am naive..., but will not give up on the luxury called ''trust'' in this industry...
1.gif

If you have a solution to help shoppers preparing to buy terribly cut commercial goods today please let me know. If you don''t I think those steered towards the best cut grading systems we currently have in major markets will be thankful for the advice.

(I also wish you''d take the suggestion to actually visit AGS and speak in person with the researchers there)
DiaGem, this comment really helps to shed light on why you may find the line of thinking in this thread difficult.

Well..., I hope I still know how to read English....

You come from the approach of ''not all jewelers are deceivers'', which seems as though you feel John is suggesting the opposite.

Some of these ''jewelers'' salespeople don''t actually *know* enough about their own products to even grasp that they are misinformed. It''s not necessarily always a willful attempt at deception, but often rather a lack of knowledge. They suffer from tutelage at the feet of others who don''t know much more about well-cut stones because they don''t sell them.

Well..., I wish the spirit of this thread or its language was more in the spirit of your explanation..., but I would suggest you re read this thread.

Your definition of ''jeweler'' would imply that all jewelers are knowledgable folks in the industry with lots of knowledge and experience. That''s not the reality in the marketplace....at least not in this country.

Beyond that, the goal of most local retail outfitters is to sell what they have. Since they don''t have an abundance of phenominal goods available to them, it''s not a priority to learn about better goods. It''s not a priority to educate customers if that education means they now won''t buy from you because your goods aren''t top-make.

Very simply put, if you''re a Volkswagon salesman and not necessarily a leader in your industry, it''s likely not in your best interest to educate clients so that they understand every other car on the market and where your VW option falls in that pecking order. It''s likely not in your interest to understand how the engine of a Ferrari works, either, since that information does nothing to help you sell a VW. In fact, if you''re the car salesman, you don''t even necessarily want to know the mechanics of how to actually fix your own brand....you only need enough information to help potential buyers understand why your VW brand might fit their needs. Being self-interested doesn''t necessarily mean being willfully deceitful; more often it means being unconcerned with trivia that doesn''t help your own cause.
I am sorry..., but I read this thread and it sounds to me more like an AGS "worship"!
It also sounds to me sometimes that we forget we are in the business of selling/marketinf beautiful Diamond/gemstone jewelry..., and not only paper or certificates or reports...

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/14/2008 7:59:33 PM
Author: Wink

I am not Storm and I would not deign to answer for him, but for me it is easy. The AGS 0 princess cuts will on average be MUCH more beautiful to the eye than the average cut ''stuff'' that you will get with the other labs. I have seen thousands of princess cuts, and most of them were woefully wasted use of rough. When they are a beauty, wow! And yes, I have seen many WOW princess cuts with other lab reports than AGS, just not consistently.

Wink
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!!
AGS might tell you which Diamond is cut better or precisely to their standards or research but it has nothing to do with beauty!
AGS can point out symmetry accuracy, measured light performance etc..., etc..., and sometimes people even take this as a sign of beauty
7.gif
but beauty is much wider than any AGS top cut grade or even mediocre cut grade!

You might believe commoditizing of Diamonds is good..., but some (including me) don''t!

I read on this thread lines such as GIA ex-ex (steep/deep) rounds are called "frozen spit"..., when was the last time we saw an AGS 0 Princess cut that is spreadier and is located within the shallow area of the AGS accepted total depth of 55-65% range?

Anyone ever ask why??

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Re:With such a small footprint I don''t think AGS could ''kill'' anything. You should be more concerned with GIA. Have you followed manufacturing trends? More and more producers are going after the steep/deep end of GIA EX rounds. Unlike cutters who target AGS0, some of these GIA EX are not even good performers. So, if you''re chasing manufacturer motives the steep/deep end of GIA is a more worthy target.

John,
Until industry prefer sell papers instead beauty Most cutters will cut diamonds with biggest yield for best Cut grades ( same for ASG, GIA, IGI, etc.)
AGS make paper trend much more stronger .
GIA started, AGS improve, HRD continue this trend ( with H&A cut grade)
Of course grading is important but instead Brain Washing better to give consumer a instrument to compare cut beauty .
( and for professionals too. Most professionals in diamond industry can not compare beauty of two diamonds . they can use only rejection tools like, IS, ASET. H&A or gimmick tools like Gemex, Isee2,..)

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/14/2008 8:00:38 PM

YAY! Sergey and I are in accord!

Wink

Wink,

I am agree what ASG has best and reasonable good cut grading system for Princess cuts.
I am agree what AGS has reasonable good cut grading system for Round cut.

I think it is problem for market because ASG has not cut grade system for Any cut.

If AGS has not good cut grading system it does not kill innovation
If AGS has good cut grading system for any cut it supports innovation

But if ASG has good grading system just for two most popular cuts( which become popular before ASG developed cut grading system for these cuts), it kills innovation

Modern Luxury market is not possible without inovation .

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/15/2008 2:18:32 AM

Date: 8/14/2008 7:59:33 PM

I am not Storm and I would not deign to answer for him, but for me it is easy. The AGS 0 princess cuts will on average be MUCH more beautiful to the eye than the average cut ''stuff'' that you will get with the other labs. I have seen thousands of princess cuts, and most of them were woefully wasted use of rough. When they are a beauty, wow! And yes, I have seen many WOW princess cuts with other lab reports than AGS, just not consistently.

Wink
AGS might tell you which Diamond is cut better or precisely to their standards or research but it has nothing to do with beauty!
AGS can point out symmetry accuracy, measured light performance etc..., etc..., and sometimes people even take this as a sign of beauty
7.gif

You might believe commoditizing of Diamonds is good..., but some (including me) don''t!

I read on this thread lines such as GIA ex-ex (steep/deep) rounds are called ''frozen spit''..., when was the last time we saw an AGS 0 Princess cut that is spreadier and is located within the shallow area of the AGS accepted total depth of 55-65% range?

Anyone ever ask why??
Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it is possible that some people prefer lifeless lumps of crystallized carbon to bright sparkly things of incredible beauty.

But since most people buying off the net will not get to see the diamond until it is sent to them for inspection the AGS paper allows them a reasonable expectation that they know what they are getting.

It has nothing to do with commoditization and every thing to do with getting what you want, on the first or at least second try instead of having to call in stone after stone until you find one that is at least pretty. I went through a lot of suppliers and a TON of postage trying to find pretty princess cuts for my clients before the AGS cut grade came along for princess cuts. Since I am not in a major cutting center or even a nice supplier rich location (try zero in my city) it helps me greatly to know what to expect before I ever ok the postage. I have NEVER seen an ugly AGS 0 cut. I have seen some I like better than others, but never an ugly one. I have seen MANY MANY ugly princess cuts with other papers, some of which were touted to me as very pretty.

If I were in a city full of suppliers I could look at stones in person if I desired to. (Nowadays I just call Paul.) Since I am not, I rely on Paul and if he does not have what I need I rely on an AGS 0 paper. If that is sounding like a commercial or AGS worship then so be it. Just sign me up as a charter member in the Church of the WHOLY Trustworth Cut Grade.

Also, I do not remember seeing anyone call a steep deep frozen spit in this thread, but maybe I need to go read deeper to see what I missed. I am not a big fan of the steep deep, but I have never seen one of those that warranted the title of Frozen Spit. If it was so used, it was so used inappropriately. Frozen spit should be researved for the I3 crap that we see so often in the 3cts for $500 tennis bracelets at the Mall. You know, the ones that are advertized by showing a picture of F-VS well cut goods in a nce tennis bracelet that sell for $3-4,000 and then when you get to the store they look like they polished frozen balls of spittle and set them. It is illegal bait and switch, but what the heck, but it is allowed to happen every year, in spite of continued protests to the jewelers vigilance committee and the FTC. So much for the government or the jewelers organizations stopping the bad guys.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/15/2008 1:49:06 AM

Date: 8/14/2008 11:36:25 PM
Author: Allison D.

You come from the approach of ''not all jewelers are deceivers'', which seems as though you feel John is suggesting the opposite.

Well..., I wish the spirit of this thread or its language was more in the spirit of your explanation..., but I would suggest you re read this thread.

Like I said above Alj...
20.gif

Maybe you read the thread as "a problem with the knowledge of jewelers"..., but unfortunately..., I dont!

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: I went through a lot of suppliers and a TON of postage trying to find pretty princess cuts for my clients before the AGS cut grade came along for princess cuts. Since I am not in a major cutting center or even a nice supplier rich location (try zero in my city) it helps me greatly to know what to expect before I ever ok the postage
If I were in a city full of suppliers I could look at stones in person if I desired to. (Nowadays I just call Paul.)

Wink,

How big % of your clients could be agree wait 6 weeks him choice?

Suppose
a)you have library nice diamonds( Which you really like)
1) Round cut H&A
2) Princess AGS0
3) Cushion
4) Radiant
5) Oval
6) Pear
7) Emerald
8) Few others

b) You show these samples in standard Light boxes . Client do him Cut choice and inform you about acceptable clarity and color range( for example VS1-VS2, G-H), mass 1.00-1.10 ct( for example)

c) You inform special company about this order . In 2-3 days you will receive quotation ( prices for each combination color and clarity in customer range )
d) If client agree with your price he paid 20% deposit
e) In 6 weeks you will receive diamond according quotation, with Exactly same proportions what you showed to client , with manufacture clarity and color report. + full history of cutting ( rough, semicut photos and models)
f) client could send diamond to ASG for clarity and color grade and receive double price difference( between manufacture grade and AGS grade) , if AGS grade will worse

In same time Strmdr or any other can develop new cut and ask add him cut( real diamond to your library ). Strmdr will pay for sample for your library, but you will pay him fee from each sells him cut design

Could be it something “equal “?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2008 10:04:23 AM

Date: 8/15/2008 2:18:32 AM

7.gif

I read on this thread lines such as GIA ex-ex (steep/deep) rounds are called ''frozen spit''..., when was the last time we saw an AGS 0 Princess cut that is spreadier and is located within the shallow area of the AGS accepted total depth of 55-65% range?

Anyone ever ask why??
Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it is possible that some people prefer lifeless lumps of crystallized carbon to bright sparkly things of incredible beauty.

But since most people buying off the net will not get to see the diamond until it is sent to them for inspection the AGS paper allows them a reasonable expectation that they know what they are getting.

It has nothing to do with commoditization and every thing to do with getting what you want, on the first or at least second try instead of having to call in stone after stone until you find one that is at least pretty. I went through a lot of suppliers and a TON of postage trying to find pretty princess cuts for my clients before the AGS cut grade came along for princess cuts. Since I am not in a major cutting center or even a nice supplier rich location (try zero in my city) it helps me greatly to know what to expect before I ever ok the postage. I have NEVER seen an ugly AGS 0 cut. I have seen some I like better than others, but never an ugly one. I have seen MANY MANY ugly princess cuts with other papers, some of which were touted to me as very pretty.

If I were in a city full of suppliers I could look at stones in person if I desired to. (Nowadays I just call Paul.) Since I am not, I rely on Paul and if he does not have what I need I rely on an AGS 0 paper. If that is sounding like a commercial or AGS worship then so be it. Just sign me up as a charter member in the Church of the WHOLY Trustworth Cut Grade.

Also, I do not remember seeing anyone call a steep deep frozen spit in this thread, but maybe I need to go read deeper to see what I missed. I am not a big fan of the steep deep, but I have never seen one of those that warranted the title of Frozen Spit. If it was so used, it was so used inappropriately. Frozen spit should be researved for the I3 crap that we see so often in the 3cts for $500 tennis bracelets at the Mall. You know, the ones that are advertized by showing a picture of F-VS well cut goods in a nce tennis bracelet that sell for $3-4,000 and then when you get to the store they look like they polished frozen balls of spittle and set them. It is illegal bait and switch, but what the heck, but it is allowed to happen every year, in spite of continued protests to the jewelers vigilance committee and the FTC. So much for the government or the jewelers organizations stopping the bad guys.
!

And I also don''t recall steep/deeps being referred to as frozen spit. The implication to them being mentioned, is that they are not going to be nearly as bright and beautiful as a stone cut closer to Tolk specs. But I have been around this block with Diagem before, we both know where we stand, so I won''t elaborate.
5.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/15/2008 11:14:48 AM
Author: Ellen!

And I also don''t recall steep/deeps being referred to as frozen spit. The implication to them being mentioned, is that they are not going to be nearly as bright and beautiful as a stone cut closer to Tolk specs. But I have been around this block with Diagem before, we both know where we stand, so I won''t elaborate.
5.gif

Pity..., I would have love to hear your definition of the connection between "steep/deep", Tolk specs., and beauty...
20.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/15/2008 10:50:01 AM

Re: I went through a lot of suppliers and a TON of postage trying to find pretty princess cuts for my clients before the AGS cut grade came along for princess cuts. Since I am not in a major cutting center or even a nice supplier rich location (try zero in my city) it helps me greatly to know what to expect before I ever ok the postage
If I were in a city full of suppliers I could look at stones in person if I desired to. (Nowadays I just call Paul.)

Wink,

Suppose
1) Round cut H&A
2) Princess AGS0
3) Cushion
4) Radiant
5) Oval
6) Pear
7) Emerald
8) Few others

b) You show these samples in standard Light boxes . Client do him Cut choice and inform you about acceptable clarity and color range( for example VS1-VS2, G-H), mass 1.00-1.10 ct( for example)

c) You inform special company about this order . In 2-3 days you will receive quotation ( prices for each combination color and clarity in customer range )
e) In 6 weeks you will receive diamond according quotation, with Exactly same proportions what you showed to client , with manufacture clarity and color report. + full history of cutting ( rough, semicut photos and models)
f) client could send diamond to ASG for clarity and color grade and receive double price difference( between manufacture grade and AGS grade) , if AGS grade will worse

In same time Strmdr or any other can develop new cut and ask add him cut( real diamond to your library ). Strmdr will pay for sample for your library, but you will pay him fee from each sells him cut design

It definitely could be a welcome part of my business, but don''t forget that well over 95% of my clients come in asking for rounds and princesses. Those I already have my source for. If a market can be created for the creative cuts, I would love to have part of it, but I can not afford to inventory them, which makes your concept even more appealing to me.

Wink

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/15/2008 10:50:01 AM

Wink,

Suppose
1) Round cut H&A
2) Princess AGS0
3) Cushion
4) Radiant
5) Oval
6) Pear
7) Emerald
8) Few others

Serg..., you mean a regular and speciality Diamond via order servicing house?
With a few added value options as history chain details?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results