carat
color
clarity

Other brands for Akoya besides Mikimoto, Tasaki and Takahashi

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my speculation.
Even when wholesalers are willing to sell to retail customers, they might not have the best items for them because they have some kind of agreement with other companies who buy lots or bags of pearls from them. It's because they don't want one off customers, they want returned customers to keep their business going. If say an unknown customer approaching them, they will of course sell you some pearls but I bet they won't show you the best item that they have because the best has been reserved for their better known clients.

Therefore, pearl retail buyers keep purchasing hoping to find the best pearls with reasonable price and in the end, the price they pay for their quest for the best pearl strand could easily add up to the retail price of a strand from the best known brand out there. It's because during their quest, they keep buying because they are not satisfied with their items at hand knowing that it's not AAA or not equal to AAA of a big brand.

That's why retail buyers save a lot by going straight to big brand because once you are satisfied with what you have, you are less likely to keep wanting more and keep buying.

This is my speculation because I know something about art galleries. This is how they sell arts, they want you to buy the not so 'Wow' piece before they show you the masterpiece from the modern artist.

For pearls, I suspect it's the same.

That's why for people who want grand pearls or surpearls, be prepared to spend a lot on the less fulfilling pearls before they show you the 'wow' pearls. And in the end, tell me how much in total you have paid in order to get that grand pearls or Surpearls. And add that all up, does it equal to the same amount of a strand in a big brand?
Yes, you have a few more strands you can argue but you have a few strands that you might not be happy with. That's what I am saying.

You are very wrong. General pearl and many others will sell granpearl strands to someone who has never purchased before. They are $$, but no one is hiding them.

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
You are very wrong. General pearl and many others will sell granpearl strands to someone who has never purchased before. They are $$, but no one is hiding them.

Still waiting for members here to show a full strand of akoya pearl necklace in the top grade (maybe grand pearl or surpearl) to admire the quality. It is because if there were one, I would like to get one too if the quality matches with those in big brands.

Not here to claim right or wrong because here for discussion only.

Good day!

Last edited:

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
Still waiting for members here to show a full strand of akoya pearl necklace in the top grade (maybe grand pearl or surpearl) to admire the quality.

Good day!

Plenty of posts have been made on this forum showing GranPearl pictures. I’m sure you can find them if you search.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Still waiting for members here to show a full strand of akoya pearl necklace in the top grade (maybe grand pearl or surpearl) to admire the quality. It is because if there were one, I would like to get one too if the quality matches with those in big brands.

Good day!

The reality that your many accusations - against me, other members here, vendors - were unfounded, inaccurate, and undeserved does not disappear just because you’re unwilling to acknowledge that you were wrong. The depth of hypocrisy is stunning - and galling.

You realize things cost money? Things like top akoya strands cost lots of money? And that most of us aren’t made of money? If you’ve got funds to spare and a desire to educate - why don’t you buy that Granpearl strand yourself (you won’t find a Supearl strand), and do your own comparisons, and share the results here with us so we can benefit from your experiences just like you’re trying to benefit from ours...

I can even promise that we won’t accuse you of shilling or secretly taking kickbacks for your efforts in aid of some mass underground marketing agenda.

:rolleyes: <-- Edit* Rolling eyes, not evil eyes, editing to add description for clarity

Last edited:

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
The reality that your many accusations - against me, other members here, vendors - were unfounded and inaccurate does not disappear just because you’re unwilling to acknowledge that you were wrong. The depth of hypocrisy is stunning - and galling.

You realize things cost money? Things like top akoya strands cost lots of money? And that most of us aren’t made of money? If you’ve got funds that spare and a desire to educate - buy that Granpearl strand yourself (you won’t find a Supearl strand), do your own comparisons, and share the results here with us so we can benefit from you just like you’re trying to benefit from us.

This is my thread and I am not going to go away.
The unbalanced discussion and defending about one particular vendor made me suspicious and I have reasons to be because it is not unheard of for companies to hire people to work at some forums or social platforms to promote certain products for their companies.

And it's very funny because I read the previous posts about not to engage and yet I kept seeing more posts popping up.

Yes, it costs a lot. That's why I follow the 'buy less, buy quality' rule. It doesn't mean I am trying to force people to follow this rule. It's just about sharing some thoughts.

Seriously, I wish I could be hired as such because it's a nice job. Well, those big companies don't need me. They have their spokespeople, usually celebrities to do so.

Last edited:

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
There are lots of granpearl pics on the forum. All you have to do is search and you'll find them.

I have just found the pics of grand pearls. Thanks!
However, what I meant was the whether the quality matching up with those in big brands.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
However, what I meant was the whether the quality matching up with those in big brands.
You will not find these pictures anywhere on the English-speaking internet. We all want these pictures. But this requires an intersection of a person who buys PEPCA certified strands and who frequents Mikimoto and who posts on public fora, and this person does not (yet) exist.

Hence my suggestion that you buy your own and do your own investigation.

Edit: @NY_Resonant's comparisons are the closest I have ever seen. His natural white strand compared with a granpearl in Japan, and the same NW strand compared with Mikimoto AA and AAA in the US. The links below will take you directly to the photos I refer to.
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...wn-in-kobe-any-favorites.278110/#post-5239733
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-current-pearl-collection.278233/post-5241119

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You will not find these pictures anywhere on the English-speaking internet. We all want these pictures. But this requires an intersection of a person who buys PEPCA certified strands and who frequents Mikimoto and who posts on public fora, and this person does not (yet) exist.

Edit: @NY_Resonant's comparisons are the closest I have ever seen. His natural white strand compared with a granpearl in Japan, and the same NW strand compared with Mikimoto AA and AAA in the US. The links below will take you directly to the photos I refer to.
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...wn-in-kobe-any-favorites.278110/#post-5239733
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-current-pearl-collection.278233/post-5241119

Thanks @yssie ! Those are the pics i wss thinking of but couldnt remember who posted them.

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock

Having personally seen various AA and AAA mikimoto strands on multiple occasions and having only seen one granpearl, I can only say that personally I am convinced the Granpearl strand I saw was noticeably better than any of the AA mikimoto strands I’ve seen. I do think my pictures reinforce this fact via indirect-comparison.

I also *believe* it was better than some AAA and definitely worse than one AAA mikimoto necklace that I was fortunate enough to see.

What I do know for a fact is that the mikimoto AAA grade is a range of quality.

I also know that Granpearls encompass a range of quality, your recent post from GeneralPearl comparing three Granpearls is a great example. That 8-9mm Granpearl is stunning.

I have no doubt, based on personal experiences, that the AAA mikimoto and Granpearl quality ranges intersect. I cannot speak to the “average Granpearl” vs “Average AAA mikimoto”.

I also would not be surprised to see a Granpearl with better luster but slightly worse surface skin quality compared to a AAA mikimoto with superior skin but slightly inferior luster. It really depends on how quality is defined in each standard.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Having personally seen various AA and AAA mikimoto strands on multiple occasions and having only seen one granpearl, I can only say that personally I am convinced the Granpearl strand I saw was noticeably better than any of the AA mikimoto strands I’ve seen. I do think my pictures reinforce this fact via indirect-comparison.

I also *believe* it was better than some AAA and definitely worse than one AAA mikimoto necklace that I was fortunate enough to see.

I also know that Granpearls encompass a range of quality, your recent post from GeneralPearl comparing three Granpearls is a great example. That 8-9mm Granpearl is stunning.

I have no doubt, based on personal experiences, that the AAA mikimoto and Granpearl quality ranges intersect. I cannot speak to the “average Granpearl” vs “Average AAA mikimoto”.

I also would not be surprised to see a Granpearl with better luster but slightly worse surface skin quality compared to a AAA mikimoto with superior skin but slightly inferior luster. It really depends on how quality is defined in each standard.

An honest and experienced appraisal and I trust all your conclusions.

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock

Pearls of the same grading in mikimoto do vary but there is no such a big gap. That's why it's important to ask them to bring in more than one strand of the same grade and same size to compare before making a purchase.

I am not sure what it is but your strands when shown in lower lighting showing the pearls overtones but the outer layers are not as transparent as the miki pearls.

Each company's got their own recipes for bleaching and pinking (maybe yours are not pinked). Miki's pearls got right amount of pink and green which I like. I am happy with what I got from mikimoto even though I have a smaller collection.

Anyway, I might go to the jewellery show and see what my local pearl vendors will offer. After all, I need around 200 pearls to make a long necklace.

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
An honest and experienced appraisal and I trust all your conclusions.

Thank you for that… People are welcome to make their own judgements based on picture comparisons…

Here is a zoomed in picture of the Granpearl on top vs my NW strand on bottom (for 3 pearls at least). It’s clear to me the Granpearl pearls are nicer from a luster and surface quality/gloss perspective…

1701150641459.png

‘Here is the same NW strand on left and a AAA mikimoto on right:

1701151098834.png

Here is the NW on right compared to a AA mikimoto on left:

1701151279931.png

People can make their own judgements…

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depending on what one is looking for from Mikimoto, there may or may not be any additional strands for an SA to pull.

A few weeks ago I held the only AAA 7.5-8mm and 8-8.5mm bracelets available in my country, and I saw the only AAA 8-8.5 strand and AAA 9.5-10 studs available in my country.

Of course, if additional strands are available, it is always to one’s benefit to have them sent out to compare in-person.

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
Pearls of the same grading in mikimoto do vary but there is no such a big gap. That's why it's important to ask them to bring in more than one strand of the same grade and same size to compare before making a purchase.

I am not sure what it is but your strands when shown in lower lighting showing the pearls overtones but the outer layers are not as transparent as the miki pearls.

Each company's got their own recipes for bleaching and pinking (maybe yours are not pinked). Miki's pearls got right amount of pink and green which I like. I am happy with what I got from mikimoto even though I have a smaller collection.

Anyway, I might go to the jewellery show and see what my local pearl vendors will offer. After all, I need around 200 pearls to make a long necklace.

That’s right, the strand that I bought was a unpinked natural white strand which was my fiance‘s personal preference. Looks better on her skin tone than pinked pearls. Mikimoto does not offer natural white strands according to their SA, they are much rarer and harder to assemble.

AA, AAA, Granpearls, etc are all amazing pearls. In that respect their gap is small. We nitpick when choosing the best when you get to this point of diminishing returns.

Pictures may not show it properly but the difference between a great AA mikimoto and a bad AA is noticeable. It was to me anyhow.

Similarly, I remember one time I visited mikimoto, they brought out this AAA earring that was head and shoulders better than two other AAA earrings they showed me. I almost spent the crazy high price on it when I saw it, hah.

Here is a comparison between a “good” mikimoto AA and a “bad” AA that I took:

1701152194035.png

Zoomed in:

1701152295287.png

Last edited:

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
That’s right, the strand that I bought was a unpinked natural white strand which was my fiance‘s personal preference. Looks better on her skin tone than pinked pearls.

Pictures may not show it properly but the difference between a great AA mikimoto and a bad AA is very very noticeable. It was to me anyhow.

Similarly, I remember one time I visited mikimoto, they brought out this AAA earring that was head and shoulders better than two other AAA earrings they showed me. I almost spent the crazy high price on it when I saw it, hah.

Here is a comparison between a “good” mikimoto AA and a “bad” AA that I took:

1701152194035.png

Zoomed in:

1701152295287.png

I also took a look at General pearls and it looks like their top grades pearls look similar with those top grades in Tasaki in terms of overtones and lustre. I almost ordered a pair of earrings from GP because their hardware is similar to the hardware of miki. I am referring to the half spheres at the back. Since I am happy with my miki pair, I dropped the idea.

It seems like the lesser AA of miki you are referring to is bigger in size.

It looks like the miki bigger pearls have lighter body than their smaller pearls but the clarity of their bigger pearls is more obvious than their smaller pearls. The clarity here refers to the transparent wrapping layers of the nucleus.

I would consider the miki earrings because whenever I look at the pictures taken when miki earrings on, I see the shine and never regret it. I simply cross out the items from my vca wish list whenever I add an item from mikimoto. Pearls are not as hard wearing as diamonds but they give right amount of blings without those strong bling from diamonds. I am always in a dilemma whether to get more pearls or get diamonds.

It looks like miki pearls in the US are pinker. And their designs vary as well based on geographic location. What I can find in my local miki store cannot be found in Ginza stores and vice versa.

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
I also took a look at General pearls and it looks like their top grades pearls look similar with those top grades in Tasaki in terms of overtones and lustre. I almost ordered a pair of earrings from GP because their hardware is similar to the hardware of miki. I am referring to the half spheres at the back. Since I am happy with my miki pair, I dropped the idea.

It seems like the lesser AA of miki you are referring to is bigger in size.

It looks like the miki bigger pearls have lighter body than their smaller pearls but the clarity of their bigger pearls is more obvious than their smaller pearls. The clarity here refers to the transparent wrapping layers of the nucleus.

I would consider the miki earrings because whenever I look at the pictures taken when miki earrings on, I see the shine and never regret it. I simply cross out the items from my vca wish list whenever I add an item from mikimoto. Pearls are not as hard wearing as diamonds but they give right amount of blings without those strong bling from diamonds. I am always in a dilemma whether to get more pearls or get diamonds.

It looks like miki pearls in the US are pinker. And their designs vary as well based on geographic location. What I can find in my local miki store cannot be found in Ginza stores and vice versa.

I visited Tasaki in Kyoto in April. Their grade A (They seem to grade A/B/C at that store) necklace did not wow me.

I was lucky to see a grade AA necklace at that tasaki store, they only had a couple in the entire company As per SA (they don’t do AAA In their grading). It was gorgeous and much nicer than the AA mikimoto that I saw a block away 7 minutes later, at 55% of the mikimoto AA price.

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
I visited Tasaki in Kyoto in April. Their grade A (They seem to grade A/B/C at that store) necklace did not wow me.

I was lucky to see a grade AA necklace at that tasaki store, they only had a couple in the entire company As per SA (they don’t do AAA In their grading). It was gorgeous and much nicer than the AA mikimoto that I saw a block away 7 minutes later, at 55% of the mikimoto AA price.

I visited Tasaki in Ginza and their AAA is pinker but I remember a few years ago, the mikimoto got the same pinker pearls in their strand. Now, mikimoto is switching to lesser pink ones and with a green tint in their pearls.

The AAA 7.5 mm in Tasaki 16" is more or less the same price as the mikimoto strand in AAA 7.5 mm in Japan.

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Edit: Right. At this point I’m just feeding the troll, so… Ignore list.

I got to that point while we were still on Page 1 of this thread, after realising there could be a hidden agenda in praising all things Miki related in other threads. :roll2:

I am not going to spend big money on a strand of top quality branded Akoyas unless I win big money playing the lottery, full stop!

And definitely NOT from Miki.

I would probably fly out to Japan and Kobe and pick my own strand at Takahashi as I like them, based on my own experience of a single purchase of a mis-matched pair of dropped shaped pearls.

May be I should play more lottery between now and February 2025 when I shall be in Japan and Kobe is on the itinerary! :lol-2:

DK ;)2

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for leaving more strands for branded conscious consumers to choose from.

Anyway, probably there are more vintage miki strands in the US right now than the rest of the world because lots of stationed soldiers in the past brought back some miki pearls.

I wish I were part of the agenda if there were any agenda at all.

When the forum is not balanced, it's quite boring albeit educational.

Last edited:

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
We all get that you need mikis. It's just that we know that Mikis these days are just one brand of pearls.

Alybird

Shiny_Rock
I got to that point while we were still on Page 1 of this thread, after realising there could be a hidden agenda in praising all things Miki related in other threads. :roll2:

I am not going to spend big money on a strand of top quality branded Akoyas unless I win big money playing the lottery, full stop!

And definitely NOT from Miki.

I would probably fly out to Japan and Kobe and pick my own strand at Takahashi as I like them, based on my own experience of a single purchase of a mis-matched pair of dropped shaped pearls.

May be I should play more lottery between now and February 2025 when I shall be in Japan and Kobe is on the itinerary! :lol-2:

DK ;)2

I am of a similar mind.

The individual I purchased my baroque akoya strand from works at a pearl company that owns pearl farms. When I asked for recommendations on who I should purchase a gem-quality strand from, he responded that it doesn't matter as the pearls are likely to have been grown and sourced from the company he works for.

I've reached out to General Pearl & Yokota Pearl to see what they have on hand. Takahashi does not have any gem strands in stock within my parameters at the moment. (The market shortage, oyster die-off, and demand exceeding supply is so very real.) I think that if one is looking for the best of the best, one needs only to ask around.

I can't imagine paying the Mikimoto mark-up on top of the rising costs of pearls. Personally, paying 2, 3, 4x, or more the "standard" retail just doesn't work for me because past a certain point, I would consider it too precious to wear. Yet, I've always believed to each their own. If Miki makes one's heart sing, then by all means.

I think for most of us, we save and budget and make balanced decisions over time about what we choose to purchase for our collections so it is important to have a sense of the value of things.

The best analogy I have is cashmere sweaters. Yes, I could go and buy a branded luxury knit for upwards of 3k or more, but I could also get just as good of quality if not better, Made in Scotland, knit by hand, & guaranteed to be made of the finest belly combed fibers for way, way less.

Last edited:

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
The best analogy I have is cashmere sweaters. Yes, I could go and buy a branded luxury knit for upwards of 3k or more, but I could also get just as good of quality if not better, Made in Scotland, knit by hand, & guaranteed to be made of the finest belly combed fibers for way, way less.

Now I want to know where you get your cashmere sweaters!

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
I am of a similar mind.

The individual I purchased my baroque akoya strand from works at a pearl company that owns pearl farms. When I asked for recommendations on who I should purchase a gem-quality strand from, he responded that it doesn't matter as the pearls are likely to have been grown and sourced from the company he works for.

I've reached out to General Pearl & Yokota Pearl to see what they have on hand. Takahashi does not have any gem strands in stock within my parameters at the moment. (The market shortage, oyster die-off, and demand exceeding supply is so very real.) I think that if one is looking for the best of the best, one needs only to ask around.

I can't imagine paying the Mikimoto mark-up on top of the rising costs of pearls. Personally, paying 2, 3, 4x, or more the "standard" retail just doesn't work for me because past a certain point, I would consider it too precious to wear. Yet, I've always believed to each their own. If Miki makes one's heart sing, then by all means.

I think for most of us, we save and budget and make balanced decisions over time about what we choose to purchase for our collections so it is important to have a sense of the value of things.

Only for jewellery, I am willing to pay for markups. The reason why is that jewellery last longer than clothing. By the way, I still wear the scarf from Johnstons I purchased in 2009. Johnstons is also a brand but a brand that caters to different markets.

I have seen some photos of pearls from General Pearls and what they have are not matching up with what they have sold out. And it seems to me that these companies offer pearls that got one single overtone, either pink or green but not the mixture of the both. However, for earrings, they are able to offer the mixture of green and pink overtone ones.

As for Takahashi, because of the use of vca clover pretending to be vca products. I don't think I will ever reach out to them.

Last edited:

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
So I went to JMA jewellery show in Hong Kong and compare the prices and the quality. I did end up with a strand.

J Ocean Pearls is great. They had something in what I like.

Both pink and green overtone presented in pearls: check.

Strands for me to choose from: check

Darker body: check

Slightly above my mikimoto premium bracelet: check

Price? Check check check.

I would post more information of the other vendors that are worth paying attention to.

IMG_3690.jpeg

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
So I went to JMA jewellery show in Hong Kong and compare the prices and the quality. I did end up with a strand.

J Ocean Pearls is great. They had something in what I like.

Both pink and green overtone presented in pearls: check.

Strands for me to choose from: check

Darker body: check

Slightly above my mikimoto premium bracelet: check

Price? Check check check.

I would post more information of the other vendors that are worth paying attention to.

IMG_3690.jpeg

Congratulations on finding something you love.

I assume you picked the dark body strand on the right given your higher-luster comment? The one that gives off a warm Pearl feeling?

Larger pearls than your bracelet, luster appears very good which is helped by the darker body color.

Skin smoothness/gloss looks below your bracelet but that’s a trade off most choose on this board to prioritize Luster and price — hard to beat Miki on that metric but if the imperfections are small nobody notices when it’s being worn.

Last edited:

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations on finding something you love.

I assume you picked the dark body strand on the right given your higher-luster comment? The one that gives off a warm Pearl feeling?

Larger pearls than your bracelet, luster appears very good which is helped by the darker body color.

Skin smoothness/gloss looks below your bracelet but that’s a trade off most choose on this board to prioritize Luster and price — hard to beat Miki on that metric but if the imperfections are small nobody notices when it’s being worn.

Yes, I chose the the one on the right hand side in 9-9.5 mm, never thought I would go for this size but of all the strands in same grading, this one is the brightest in lustre so I forgot about other strands in smaller sizes. I would ask the company to take out pearls to turn them into earrings with huggy hardware. This strand would be used as a choker to make it look modern for me.

As for the smoothness of the body, I don't think my miki has the highest rate in smoothness. I took out two pearls with pimples from miki bracelet and still there are two pearls with wrinkles staying in my bracelet but I don't mind. I need miki samples and I still like a miki clasp. No other companies dare to make a miki lookalike clasp.

Why do I change suddenly? It's because I saw a WSS queen strand and it kinda lower the value of akoya for me. I would rather have that WSS strand than an AAA in bigger size. It's Love at first sight for that WSS strand. Alas, it's more or less the same as a down payment for an apartment.

Will I still buy an AAA from mikimoto? Maybe, but it's got to be 7mm. The chocker one would be worn with my miki 9mm earrings as they are the same size. The future miki strand in 7mm would be worn with my bracelet.

1701353063065.png

This one WSS queen stirred me away from akoya. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a pair of earrings that got this overtone and well matched from the same vendor. Well, I will keep bothering him lol.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results