shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling Alybird - General Pearl

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey @Alybird! I mentioned that I'd chatted with General Pearl on another thread - I can't see that thread anymore, figured I'd just start a new one.

General Pearl was really helpful and generous with their time and expertise ❤️ I originally wrote in to inquire about supearl availability, they explained they had nothing in stock and likely wouldn't for a long time. They've got PEPCA board member (members? I don't recall) on staff just like Takahashi does. The person I spoke to was a PEPCA board member actually.

The conversation was incredibly educational so I'll just copy and paste bits of our emails here - I know you aren't looking specifically for PEPCA strands but they also show how forthright and responsive they were IMO. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them in future if Takahashi wasn't able to source what I wanted.

1700684897466.png

- - - - -

1700684991435.png

- - - - -

1700685133667.png

- - - - -

And a few of the photos they sent me for reference, there were more but I don't have them on my phone - these are the ones I found most helpful:

1700687112665.png

1700687136503.png

1700687157002.png

1700687173676.png

1700687183500.png

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love general pearl. They are helpful and honest, and always willing to send comparison pics to help me decide

Alybird

Shiny_Rock
Hey @Alybird! I mentioned that I'd chatted with General Pearl on another thread - I can't see that thread anymore, figured I'd just start a new one.

General Pearl was really helpful and generous with their time and expertise ❤️ I originally wrote in to inquire about supearl availability, they explained they had nothing in stock and likely wouldn't for a long time. They've got PEPCA board member (members? I don't recall) on staff just like Takahashi does. The person I spoke to was a PEPCA board member actually.

The conversation was incredibly educational so I'll just copy and paste bits of our emails here - I know you aren't looking specifically for PEPCA strands but they also show how forthright and responsive they were IMO. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them in future if Takahashi wasn't able to source what I wanted.

1700684897466.png

- - - - -

1700684991435.png

- - - - -

1700685133667.png

- - - - -

And a few of the photos they sent me for reference, there were more but I don't have them on my phone - these are the ones I found most helpful:

1700687112665.png

1700687136503.png

1700687157002.png

1700687173676.png

1700687183500.png

Omg @yssie. Thank you so much for putting this together!! This is such a solid lead.

I was just thinking today... Should I book an appointment at Pearl Paradise? (I'm 1-2 hrs drive away.) I'm interested in their natural white Hanadama strands but even with their generous promos, the price supercedes what Japanese retailers are offering at considerably lower costs (relative to the market these days, anyway).

A few weeks ago, I asked T about their gem 7.5 - 8.0 mm strands and they said that they didn't have any in stock at this time. =/

General Pearl is definitely on my list of vendors to reach out to. I appreciated reading @lovedogs experience with them.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh if Pearl Paradise is driveable it’s *definitely* worth going to take a look!! Lucky you! I haven’t had a chance to visit them yet, just haven’t been in California long enough to make the detour ;( There’s just nothing like being able to see a whole bunch of high-quality pearls in-person at the same time, you can learn all sorts of things about your preferences that you wouldn’t have guessed! Like you might find you don’t care about contrast, you’re more drawn to a glossy surface. Or maybe you like really strongly pinked pearls but don’t care for “slightly” pinked pearls. Or… And if you do fall in love with something you see there you can just bring it home! International vendors do have amazing akoya for less but you can’t be guaranteed that you’ll get exactly what you’d like best, if you like chocolate ice cream better than strawberry or mango, y’know. Unless that vendor knows exactly what brands of chocolate ice cream you go for. For me falling in love in-person is a total #BirdInTheHandIsWorthTwoInTheBush sitch that’s worth a premium for :love:

Alybird

Shiny_Rock
Oh if Pearl Paradise is driveable it’s *definitely* worth going to take a look!! Lucky you! I haven’t had a chance to visit them yet, just haven’t been in California long enough to make the detour ;( There’s just nothing like being able to see a whole bunch of high-quality pearls in-person at the same time, you can learn all sorts of things about your preferences that you wouldn’t have guessed! Like you might find you don’t care about contrast, you’re more drawn to a glossy surface. Or maybe you like really strongly pinked pearls but don’t care for “slightly” pinked pearls. Or… And if you do fall in love with something you see there you can just bring it home! International vendors do have amazing akoya for less but you can’t be guaranteed that you’ll get exactly what you’d like best, if you like chocolate ice cream better than strawberry or mango, y’know. Unless that vendor knows exactly what brands of chocolate ice cream you go for. For me falling in love in-person is a total #BirdInTheHandIsWorthTwoInTheBush sitch that’s worth a premium for :love:

Okay, yeah. You are so right. This makes sense! Lol

Yes, that was sort of the same logic I was running in my mind. Seeing things in person makes a world of difference.

I've enjoyed purchasing from overseas sellers but it can be an arduous process at times, especially with the time zone difference. Also, I feel sheepish about asking for too many photos. I know that I shouldn't as an sincere customer but I'm always conscious of the effort and time that it takes to check the stock and then take the photos, etc.

Okay then, PP is my first stop! Knowing myself, I'm very interested in the natural white non-pinked pearls. I hope they have some cool leaning white pearls. I love the glassy / icy look.

Alybird

Shiny_Rock
I would definitely make the drive. I recently got a handama natural white strand from another PSer that is originally from PP and it’s lovely!

Oh yay! This is good to hear. Always a vote of confidence when something passes PriceScope standards.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results