shape
carat
color
clarity

Ordered this diamond, now having second thoughts. What do you think?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @je5046 :wavey:

Your stone doesn't look to me to have a very noticeable bowtie. There is definitely *some* bowtie there, but I'd call it minimal. However, because of the way they're cut, ovals concentrate color in each end, and I wonder if your stone might show a little more color than you're looking for.

On the other hand, a tiny bit of tint might not worry you. Can you share what your budget is? We can look around for you and see if we can find anything else that might be even better.

newbee19

Rough_Rock
I don't know if you've seen the August Vintage Elyque ovals, but they are cut with ideal optics and are absolutely gorgeous! I've linked a video and a few stones below that are somewhat similar in specs/price to the Blue Nile one. I'm not affiliated with them, just really love ovals and hope to have an Elyque of my own soon

Introduction of the cut and comparison to a typical oval:

Three options I like
https://www.augustvintageinc.net/collections/opulence/products/0-86ct-i-vs2-elyque-oval-1269656

https://www.augustvintageinc.net/collections/opulence/products/0-72ct-g-vs2-elyque-oval-1791239

https://www.augustvintageinc.net/collections/opulence/products/0-81ct-g-vs2-august-vintage-oval

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
The imaging shown shows a little bow tie - but much does that work for you depends on what you are looking for.

As mrs-b says- ovals are cut in such a way that there is always a bow tie of some description. How much it bothers you only you can say when you see it with your eyes.

Newbie19 is right about elyque- they are cut specifically so that there is no bow tie. The video is a great representation of that stone. Is that what you are looking for?

Of course, budget plays a role on what colour, size and stone you get.

FWIW- I like the stone you have chosen.
Hope you get a chance to see the stone before it is set.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I am not finding a better option at Blue Nile ...

One seems worth mentioning: WWW seems brighter, but it is smaller because if a deep cut.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not really feeling the one you posted. Its faceting pattern is not that nice. There is a fair amount of "mush" (which doesnt have good light return) outside
of the center, and the few decent facets in the center dont stretch out very wide. It does have a nice size (LxW) but I wouldnt sacrafice nice faceting/good
light return for the size.

You might take a look at these
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD12857202
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD12147232 need to check if eye-clean

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

je5046

Rough_Rock
If anyone could give me honest feedback instead of just trying to sell me things that would be great. Not trying to solicit offers from desperate jewelers.

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
If anyone could give me honest feedback instead of just trying to sell me things that would be great. Not trying to solicit offers from desperate jewelers.

These people are giving you suggestions. They are not desperate to sell you anything. Anyone who is in the business have a big ‘trade’ logo on all of their posts

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Huh? None of us are Jewelers or work for them. The only people here that work in the jewelry business have a large "trade" banner by their name and are explicitly not allowed to give any advice about stones from vendors (unless the image is unmarked and so the vendor is unknown). That is all to avoid biased advice. So what you have gotten is honest feedback.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not really feeling the one you posted. Its faceting pattern is not that nice. There is a fair amount of "mush" (which doesnt have good light return) outside
of the center, and the few decent facets in the center dont stretch out very wide. It does have a nice size (LxW) but I wouldnt sacrafice nice faceting/good
light return for the size.

You might take a look at these
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD12857202
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD12147232 need to check if eye-clean
If you want options from blue Nile only, I really like these ones over the one you are asking about.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the E the best of the ones from Blue Nile.

Cosmetologist

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Speaking as someone how has bought quite a few Elongated Cuts like Marquise & Ovals you CANNOT avoid the Bow-Tie effect you it is just part of the Stone BUT you can buy ones that have Minimal Bow-Ties I have a few that really compliment the overall Facet Pattern of the Stone.

I sifted through the good & bad by looking for specific total Depth % & eliminated the rest by seeing them in person & using the ASET Scope ( That is a must if have if you want to find a decent cut Fancy Shape)

Also no one is trying to sell you other things they are just trying to educate you so can make an informed decision.

I find Price-Scope to be sooo Non-Biased when it comes to Trade Vendors & everyone is super nice & helpful, They've saved me a few times from making Disaster Diamond Decisions lol

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock

Ouch. I like the two lovedogs suggested over the one you have purchased...honestly.

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
Speaking as someone how has bought quite a few Elongated Cuts like Marquise & Ovals you CANNOT avoid the Bow-Tie effect you it is just part of the Stone BUT you can buy ones that have Minimal Bow-Ties I have a few that really compliment the overall Facet Pattern of the Stone.

I sifted through the good & bad by looking for specific total Depth % & eliminated the rest by seeing them in person & using the ASET Scope ( That is a must if have if you want to find a decent cut Fancy Shape)

Also no one is trying to sell you other things they are just trying to educate you so can make an informed decision.

I find Price-Scope to be sooo Non-Biased when it comes to Trade Vendors & everyone is super nice & helpful, They've saved me a few times from making Disaster Diamond Decisions lol

Agreed. I have an oval that appears to have very little bow tie in the video but in bright sunlight there is a slight one. Otherwise, it sparkles like crazy even thought it isn’t a round cut and I’m happy to have choose it. There are likely better ovals out there but for the size of the stone, I think it is beautiful.

newbee19

Rough_Rock
I'm definitely not in the diamond/jewelry industry, I work in medicine. But I recently learned about the Elyques and wanted to share. I love how ovals elongate my short fingers, but I haven't appreciated their optics until now. I haven't bought one myself yet, my boyfriend and I aren't quite ready to get engaged. Best wishes to you on your search!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Je
Welcome to Pricescope.
Ad a trade member I can't comment on specific stones - but I can make general comments.
Assesing Ovals is a totally different ballgame as compared to round diamonds.
Not every oval has a bow tie. Of those that do, not every one is a negative in most observers eyes.
In my opinion it's a mistake to try and apply the same sort of parameters we use to assess round brilliant cut diamonds.
Things like brightness, brilliance sparkle, life, etc. are very much tied to perception- not everyone will choose the same patterns shapes or look.
For this reason the term "Ideal" , when used to describe an oval, is a commercial term ( sales tool) as opposed to an accepted industry standard.
Pics can help but you'll really need to see the stone first hand to make your own choice on it.

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Honestly is there a reason for you to be rude OP? You asked for help and help also includes letting you know about other good choices here. How can you compare in a vacuum?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And again...can you tell us your budget? Or do you ONLY want feedback on your stone? I already gave an opinion on your stone - not bad, not fabulous - but if that's all you're looking for from us - easy peasy.

BTW, the inclusions are definitely obvious in blow up, so you might want to be sure that isn't an issue in real life, unless that doesn't bother you. Overall brilliance, on the other hand, can't really be judged on a computer screen, so you're asking the impossible.

Good luck to you.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I really get both sides of this...
On the one hand, I love when people recommend us here on PS.
But I also see that it's possible for a person's enthusiasm to cloud their recommendations- especially when we start using terms like "ideal optics". Experts will not agree which optics are "ideal"- nor will all consumers. AGS does the industry no favors by using this phrase IMO.
The result is that it's quite possible for things to get confusing, when we combine both the enthusiasm for a favored vendor, with promotional statements made by vendors.
If promotional sales tools are taken as facts, this can unduly influence a "newby"- or make someone feel like they are being led in a certain direction, even though the people making the suggestion have only the best of intentions......

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results