shape
carat
color
clarity

Options for selling a really not very good stone??

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, not good.
Yes, if the jeweller has offered 600 pounds, take the money and run.
The ex sounds like a twat or a cheapskate.
The “evil twin” in me wouldn’t be putting the money towards solicitors fees, it would be for a truck load of manure delivered to his front door!
Bad me.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, not good.
The “evil twin” in me wouldn’t be putting the money towards solicitors fees, it would be for a truck load of manure delivered to his front door!
Bad me.
Bwahahaha I like your style ;-)

Thanks for everyone's replies :)

The 600 quid was a guesstimate by me, based on best-case 50% of retail of a similarly poorly cut stone of similar size and specs I found on the PS search tool - I think what is most likely is that he is both a twat and a cheapskate, and that he paid well under £1k for it. (A search on a well-known auction site for D, SI1 solitaires revealed a 1ct D SI1 CE stone in a WG ring for c.£900 IIRC.)

While CE diamonds do, of course, have their market, it is most likely the case that he thought he was 'beating the system' and making himself 'look good' by buying it (because size and colour trumps all else??), rather than buying a really good GIAXXX or AGS000 0.3ct stone, for example.

I should see her soon so will enquire re: the offer and will have to break the bad news. I'm thinking of going with how the diamond is an appropriate metaphor for him - looks impressive from a distance but closer inspection reveals poor qualities, inherent faults, and paperwork that betrays all he is trying to cover up... lol

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your friend might do best trying to sell it on Gumtree/ Craigslist (with suitable care) or eBay (13% fees approx) because, without meaning to sound nasty or condescending, that’s where buyers who will love the “G” colour and not really understand the “SI” or “CE”. Tell her to get the ring cleaned and polished by a jeweller, buy a nice velvet / fancy ring box and take good photos. Don’t mention the “D” word at all in any listings, bad karma people think, instead tell her to say that she is “selling her beautiful original engagement ring because she is upgrading”. People may well think “upgraded diamond ring” when actually it’s an upgraded life without the previous twat in it!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, not good.
Bad me.

I wouldn't waste good manure on the likes of him.:eek2:

A delightful mix of chicken and pig slurry would work though.:devil:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bwahahaha I like your style ;-)

Thanks for everyone's replies :)

The 600 quid was a guesstimate by me, based on best-case 50% of retail of a similarly poorly cut stone of similar size and specs I found on the PS search tool - I think what is most likely is that he is both a twat and a cheapskate, and that he paid well under £1k for it. (A search on a well-known auction site for D, SI1 solitaires revealed a 1ct D SI1 CE stone in a WG ring for c.£900 IIRC.)

While CE diamonds do, of course, have their market, it is most likely the case that he thought he was 'beating the system' and making himself 'look good' by buying it (because size and colour trumps all else??), rather than buying a really good GIAXXX or AGS000 0.3ct stone, for example.

I should see her soon so will enquire re: the offer and will have to break the bad news. I'm thinking of going with how the diamond is an appropriate metaphor for him - looks impressive from a distance but closer inspection reveals poor qualities, inherent faults, and paperwork that betrays all he is trying to cover up... lol

In that case, I would imagine she'd be lucky to be offered about 150 quid, if anything, poor woman.

I think your analysis of his similarities to his diamond are on the money Oosh and that's a good way to broach the subject.

I think whatever she can get for it would be a bonus and maybe somewhere like IdonowIdon't might be the place to try if jewellers turn their noses up, understandably. :((

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just want to say best of luck to your friend! I'm sending good vibes to get her stone sold!!

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not an expert on all the possibilities, but the engagement ring is a gift to her. A good part of the origins of the custom was forcing men to prove they were serious before they promised marriage latter in exchange for fun tonight. If he did dump her, she got to sell the ring and move on with her life.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results