shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions wanted! Setting for 0.98ct K VS1 Octavia Asscher

amelielovescats

Rough_Rock
Dear PS Friends,

Long time lurker here! Years of lurking. Creepy, I know.

I always saw myself as a "chunky OEC" or "chunky cushion" kinda girl, and step cuts never really grabbed me because they just didn't sparkle enough for my taste. Then after reading several threads and watching several GOG videos, I became absolutely mesmerized by the Octavia. There it was...chunkier flashes like a step, but a whole lot more of them like an RB. Not to mention that as an OEC lover, I adore a tiny table. TINY table!

I'm snagging Diamonds By Lauren's first Octavia, 0.98ct, GIA K VS1. 5.63 x 5.63 x 4.18

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-colorless-diamond-98ct-k-vs1-octavia-asscher-cut-diamond-gia-r7228

GOG has a 1.02 I VS1 for only $500 more, but I'm using DBL's trade up policy, so I'm going for the slightly smaller, slightly tinted stone. According to Kenny here on PS, and to a GOG video of an O color Octavia, it's unlikely I'll notice the tint given the fantastic light performance. I'm also not that color sensitive...I tend to like the warmer whites.

Here's where I'd love your opinion: the setting. I wear a size 5 but the ring will be a 5.5, and a glove size of 6.5, which should indicate that my hands are not small and delicate, but not boxing gloves either.

These are my goals; I'm not entirely sure how to achieve them:
1) The stone is obviously pretty small. I'd like to really emphasize the octagonal shape. I like geometric looks.
2) Since it's a small stone, I feel it needs some "extra"...but extra what? Baguettes? Geometric side stones?
3) I want to maximize its brilliance. After all, it's cut for performance, and I'm paying a juicy mark up for a specialty stone. At a shy carat, I still want it to flicker from ten feet away.
4) I don't want it mistaken for a princess cut.
5) I want a thin, delicate band...like 1.5mm...so I can stack it up, fairly low set, and clean and simple.

Here are my questions:
1) According to Kenny, the pavilion is very sparkly. Would a bezel wreak ruination on this stone? I don't mean a bezel that covers the entire pavilion, but one that's more like a "collar?" Do you think a bezel would impair the impact of such a small stone?
a) Corollary: I'd be interested in a very THIN bezel with SHARP corners, not a fluid, thick bezel.
2) I'm seriously considering having it kite set, but with NO prongs on the corners. A couple PSers have kite set asschers with prongs on the long sides. This presentation rules out side stones other than baguettes, since the corners are very small. Thoughts?
3) As a pronged solitaire, I fear it might look too small. However, if you feel this particular cut and size would work best that way, please let me know! I'm not against a clean and simple tulip type setting.
4) I like both unplanted white gold and 18k yellow gold. In fact, I love yellow gold but I'm wondering if such a strong metal color would overpower and dwarf the stone. Opinions?

This is my first time posting so if I've done something iffy or breached etiquette, my apologies!

And THANK YOU for any and all opinions!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Opinions wanted! Setting for 0.98ct K VS1 Octavia Assche

Are you against a halo? A halo with bright set pave will allow for the cut corners to show, making it obvious it isn't a princess, allow for more light return becuase you don't have to bezel , and ad extra finger coverage which you seem concerned about as well as give you that "extra something" you're craving. I was going to suggest yellow gold, so I think that would be lovely.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree with the halo idea to make the stone look larger. I have an asscher ring with a center stone that size, and I can't imagine setting it without a halo. You can do a thin shank, but I wouldn't consider less than 1.8mm or else you may have problems with the shank bending (or wearing too thin in the case of gold).

My ring is a right hand ring and has a wide shank, so just ignore that part. I am just trying to show you what a difference a halo makes with a 5.6mm stone.

_37699.jpg

_37700.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have to say, I'd ask David if he can get the 1.02 I VS1 from GOG. That is over the 1ct mark and TWO color grades higher. That stone is a much better value than the K.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

What's your budget for the setting?

It would be expensive but I think it would look nice with a french cuts halo with a bezel to emphasize the stone shape. Similar to this:

img_3425__41732.jpg

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock

liaerfbv|1467742799|4051679 said:

It would be expensive but I think it would look nice with a french cuts halo with a bezel to emphasize the stone shape. Similar to this:

Yes, this! It was my first thought too. Art Deco halo like this one. I love the idea of French cuts, or baguettes. It won't be cheap, though. I think you will like the extra coverage, and it will maximize the octagonal shape.

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock

Or with calibre cut sapphires!

Gypsy also has a beautiful modern halo on a slightly larger asscher which is really lovely too!

_1266.png

amelielovescats

Rough_Rock

Niel|1467738461|4051651 said:
Are you against a halo? A halo with bright set pave will allow for the cut corners to show, making it obvious it isn't a princess, allow for more light return becuase you don't have to bezel , and ad extra finger coverage which you seem concerned about as well as give you that "extra something" you're craving. I was going to suggest yellow gold, so I think that would be lovely.

I am not against a halo, though I feared it might take away from the geometric, modern look. I'm very open to all ideas!

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock

I've also always loved this vintage Tiffany replica.

_1267.png

amelielovescats

Rough_Rock

liaerfbv|1467742799|4051679 said:

I love a geometric bezel. I'm wondering if this encloses the pavilion too much?

amelielovescats

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1467739493|4051658 said:
I have to say, I'd ask David if he can get the 1.02 I VS1 from GOG. That is over the 1ct mark and TWO color grades higher. That stone is a much better value than the K.

Very good point! I emailed Elaine immediately at DBL...she's always super helpful. I tried to reply to this and something went amiss, so it may turn up later. Diamondseeker, I love your ring and have read many of your responses over time!

amelielovescats

Rough_Rock

FightGravity|1467744713|4051697 said:

MAMA LIKE! Very lightweight and delicate, the prongs are not overbearing, and could still work for a kite set stone. Does a particular vendor sell this replica?

amelielovescats

Rough_Rock

FightGravity|1467744485|4051694 said:
Or with calibre cut sapphires!

Gypsy also has a beautiful modern halo on a slightly larger asscher which is really lovely too!

This Art Deco replica is muy delicioso! I was hoping Gypsy would chime in...she always has good, straight forward opinions about things.

amelielovescats

Rough_Rock

For the official record: it is not possible for DBL to acquire an Octavia from GOG. Each vendor owns their inventory.

Onward with the 0.98ct K VS1! I'm totally happy with that.

I also just want to say, I've worked with Diamonds By Lauren for two or three years now and I have always loved the customer service. Elaine has been unbelievably accommodating with all the times I changed my mind, wished and washed, mambied and pambied. And let me just say, I'm a smmaallll budget player. I'm not buying any door knockers that would bring them big bucks. Yet they treat me just the same as if I were buying one of their $500k pink diamonds! :clap:

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock

amelielovescats|1467745095|4051705 said:

MAMA LIKE! Very lightweight and delicate, the prongs are not overbearing, and could still work for a kite set stone. Does a particular vendor sell this replica?

This particular one is by Erstwhile jewelry (and actually could be a Tiffany original? It's a little unclear on their site whether stuff is vintage or replica, and I can't find this one on their site anymore). Their stuff is very expensive, and I can't speak to quality and don't know if they set outside stones, but other reputable jewlers have crashed and burned in an attempt to replicate this setting, so I would be wary of having just anybody try to do it. I'm sure you can get a recommendation for someone who would do this style well - caysie van bebber, maybe?

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Brilliantly Engaged made a spot-on replica of this ring, see the end of this (very long) thread.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/custom-setting-vendor-needed-for-1925-tiffany-asscher-er.200882/page-4']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/custom-setting-vendor-needed-for-1925-tiffany-asscher-er.200882/page-4[/URL]

I'm sure someone makes a similar setting, hopefully someone will be able to point you in the right direction. I would not do kite set in this setting at all myself.

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock

liaerfbv|1467747124|4051719 said:

Brilliantly Engaged made a spot-on replica of this ring, see the end of this (very long) thread.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/custom-setting-vendor-needed-for-1925-tiffany-asscher-er.200882/page-4']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/custom-setting-vendor-needed-for-1925-tiffany-asscher-er.200882/page-4[/URL]

I'm sure someone makes a similar setting, hopefully someone will be able to point you in the right direction. I would not do kite set in this setting at all myself.

Yes this is the thread I was thinking of when the replica was so challenging. Given the recent BE kerfuffle I'm reluctant to recommend them though.

I think your stone will look rounder and less octagonal if you kite set it. Just something to consider.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Hi All!
Exciting for amelielovescats!!

A point about price comparisons-
We've chosen to use GIA for the reports- and it's quite possible that GIA is one grade tougher than AGSL on color in some cases.

Also important that when comparing prices a shopper takes into account things like trade in policies, which can impact prices.

amelielovescats

Rough_Rock

FightGravity|1467747534|4051723 said:
liaerfbv|1467747124|4051719 said:

Yes this is the thread I was thinking of when the replica was so challenging. Given the recent BE kerfuffle I'm reluctant to recommend them though.

I think your stone will look rounder and less octagonal if you kite set it. Just something to consider.

That is a really beautiful setting, and for a 1 carat Asscher, I'm surprised the windmills were so prominent! Must have been cut well. Thank you for your comment on kite setting possibly looking round...I thought of that myself. At a glance, a small Octavia could look like many things--round if kite set, princess if prong set on the corners, or truly octagonal. I suppose that that leaves me with is deciding on a setting that is very gracile and dainty, so the stone can simply speak for itself.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh yes - another vote for the calibrated sapphires or a halo like Gypsy's ring!!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

amelielovescats|1467744995|4051702 said:
diamondseeker2006|1467739493|4051658 said:

Very good point! I emailed Elaine immediately at DBL...she's always super helpful. I tried to reply to this and something went amiss, so it may turn up later. Diamondseeker, I love your ring and have read many of your responses over time!

Thank you!

I am excited about your project! A bezel or halo will not have any negative effect on a well cut stone, and an Octavia is an outstanding one!

Ah, I see, I thought maybe David was sourcing through GOG but I understand now that he is independently accessing the stones. Point well taken on the GIA report, David!

Amelie, I happen to have an antique asscher at the moment that is also GIA K color. Honestly, I never thought I would be saying it, but I am fine with that in that particular stone, so I can see why you liked the K Octavia!

I have looked at a million settings for asschers, but most of mine are antique style. If you are happy with the size it is, you certainly can set it in a solitaire. I was just projecting my own feelings about my 1 ct asscher, which was actually bought to go in that setting, not the other way around! In regard to my new stone, it is too large for me to have a halo. But I am considering a bezel because I think it will accentuate the shape much more than prongs in a solitaire. I love Gypsy's halo with plain shank, too, especially since you are wanting a more modern look.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

How about this (in whatever metal you want) for clean, simple, accentuating the shape of the stone as well as increasing size appearance, and can be worn with bands?

asscherbezel1.jpg

asscherbezel2.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Is DBL making your setting?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel|1467762305|4051804 said:

Let's just say that I won't recommend them making a bezel ring, if that's what you're thinking. :bigsmile:

I was going to suggest David Klass for that.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1467765382|4051812 said:

Let's just say that I won't recommend them making a bezel ring, if that's what you're thinking. :bigsmile:

No, my suggestions would just be dependent on which vendor she was using. If part of her upgrade policy is the setting too , then we'll need that info

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel|1467770895|4051877 said:
diamondseeker2006|1467765382|4051812 said:

No, my suggestions would just be dependent on which vendor she was using. If part of her upgrade policy is the setting too , then we'll need that info

Ah, I see. I was assuming she meant the diamond was an upgrade. I don't know their policy, but I will be surprised if the setting can be upgraded. I would go elsewhere for a bezel, though, if she sticks with that idea.

amelielovescats

Rough_Rock

Rockdiamond|1467749369|4051734 said:
Hi All!
Exciting for amelielovescats!!

A point about price comparisons-
We've chosen to use GIA for the reports- and it's quite possible that GIA is one grade tougher than AGSL on color in some cases.

Also important that when comparing prices a shopper takes into account things like trade in policies, which can impact prices.

Hi Rock Diamond,
All good points! And because I am certainly taking advantage of your trade up policy, I don't mind paying a little more. There was a PSer here who purchased a small Octavia (around 1.3ct) said she intended to just keep trading it up until she got her 5ct EC ten years down the road. I think that's the plan I'm on, too! :lol:

amelielovescats

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1467761078|4051795 said:
How about this (in whatever metal you want) for clean, simple, accentuating the shape of the stone as well as increasing size appearance, and can be worn with bands?

I do like those, DiamondSeeker. Very modern. I was originally thinking of a super thin bezel, but if the corners can be made sharp enough for that geometric emphasis, I could go with a thicker bezel.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results