carat
color
clarity

Opinions wanted! Setting for 0.98ct K VS1 Octavia Asscher

amelielovescats

Rough_Rock
Re: Opinions wanted! Setting for 0.98ct K VS1 Octavia Assche

BeekeeperBetty|1468424229|4055112 said:
I recently received a bezel set halo ring from DBL and the halo is thin and very well executed. The diamond is very sparkly and bright as well. I wouldn't throw out a vendor based on one bad bezel that was made years ago.

I like the trillion side stones with the octavia, but I have kind of a love/hate relationship with my ring with trillion side stones. The shape is very pretty, but the trillions don't have much sparkle and look a bit dead next to the center stone. I tried to figure out if this was just because mine are junky or if it is just the way trillions are but I didn't get an answer to that question. So, I'm not sure, but it is something you might want to keep in mind.

I can't wait to see what you come up with for this stone! I'm out of ideas, but I'm sure you'll design something stunning.

Hi Bee! Thanks for your opinion! I'm really grateful to everyone who has pitched in...it's helped me refine my ideas A LOT.

Regarding the kinda dead trilliants/trillions, I know what you mean because a coworker has trilliants as sides to her princess cut. They do not sparkle nearly as much. Just a thought as I'm by no means an expert: I think some side stones are cut a little shallow. Maybe not really nice cushions or RBCs if you hand select all three stones...I'm talking about when you buy a setting that comes with "prepackaged" side stones, or when you buy sides that were cut specifically to be sides. That's my 2 cents, which is probably worth 0.002 cents. :lol:

amelielovescats

Rough_Rock

The final design is indeed going to be SMALLER J-color bullets bezel set next the a finely pronged Octavia, similar to the Leon Mége I posted previously.

David was really generous! I'd decided I just couldn't make the leap from the step-baguette design (which no one seemed to like!) to the bullets, and he and Elaine have made it such that they'll charge me the same. I love those guys. I know David can be a spicy personality sometimes but he's been very kind to me.

I do not yet have a picture of the Octavia with the smaller bullets but will post it as soon as I do!

If I could afford it and justify it for such a small stone, Gypsy's halo with the custom cut baguettes would have been my next choice.

Thank you all, and hopefully in a few weeks there will be a new SMTB thread. I'm not seeing a whole lot of Octavias yet, so it will be good to see a compilation of settings someday soon. Cygnet, Kenny, and Dancing Fire led the parade...who's joining in?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

BeekeeperBetty|1468452667|4055253 said:
I plan on posting to the SMTB section when I have some free time. We've had a steady stream of visitors this summer since we live in a popular tourist destination, so I have been too busy lately. On the positive side, it it one of the most comfortable rings I have ever put on. I have worn the stuffings out of it at various theme parks, zoos, museums and so forth since I got it, and it's held up great, too.

I haven't done anything with my engagement ring as of yet. I can't decide if I want to or not. On the one hand, the setting kind of blows. On the other, I've had it for 18 years and feel very attached. I'm going to waffle for a while.

Back to the octavia, I've been thinking more about it, and I think I like the setting with the baguettes and bullets the best. It's very elegant.

I'm sorry to keep threading jacking amelie...I just want to push BeeKeeper to redo her ering...yes, I'm evil :cheeky: . I had my ering
in a setting for 16 years that I wasnt really keen on. I reset it and now I love it! I had a 3 stone with baguettes and I can tell you that
baguettes just dont sparkle that well, well, mine didnt. They were small...like 12 pointers. Put it in a solitaire (minimal cost) and...
I love it!

Back to the Octavia! I know this probably differs from your style but I like curved lines with the Octavia...I cant put my finger
on it but I like the one that diamondseeker posted and the Leon Mege. They just seem to flow better to me. I know you like the art
deco ones, but the vertical baguettes just look incongruous to me. Octavias are just so beautiful I just hate to see
anything that distracts from them. The vertical baguettes are distracting to me :( .

Edit...just saw the videos...amazing!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

beekeeperbetty...oh my, that would be hard having frequent visitors over the summer! I am glad you are enjoying your new ring, and I'll look forward to seeing it later when things calm down for you!

Amelie...yay!!! I think little bullets in bezels about the width of the shank would be beautiful! I love the LM design! I am glad David is able to work that out for you! Please update us on your progress!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

amelielovescats|1468455853|4055270 said:
The final design is indeed going to be SMALLER J-color bullets bezel set next the a finely pronged Octavia, similar to the Leon Mége I posted previously.

David was really generous! I'd decided I just couldn't make the leap from the step-baguette design (which no one seemed to like!) to the bullets, and he and Elaine have made it such that they'll charge me the same. I love those guys. I know David can be a spicy personality sometimes but he's been very kind to me.

I do not yet have a picture of the Octavia with the smaller bullets but will post it as soon as I do!

If I could afford it and justify it for such a small stone, Gypsy's halo with the custom cut baguettes would have been my next choice.

Thank you all, and hopefully in a few weeks there will be a new SMTB thread. I'm not seeing a whole lot of Octavias yet, so it will be good to see a compilation of settings someday soon. Cygnet, Kenny, and Dancing Fire led the parade...who's joining in?

Oh gosh, I missed this post before I made my last post...I think it's going to be beautiful! I really like the LM setting. It flows so
smoothly and puts the emphasis on the center stone. Cant wait to see this one...Yay to DBL for making it work for you!

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock

amelielovescats|1468455853|4055270 said:

Hooray! Great call! Looking forward to seeing it :)

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks Amelie. Yeah I wasn't against mixing step with brilliant or vice versa. I do have another ring that's 3 stone ECs. Step with step sides. It's just a matter of personal mood at the time of setting. Lol I can't wait for your finish ring. I wish they have fancy colored Octavias, I'd be all over that!

4114heidi

Rough_Rock

Your post caught me eye as i, too, am looking for an asscher. Diamondseeker2006 I absolutely love your ring

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

4114heidi|1468698314|4056140 said:
Your post caught me eye as i, too, am looking for an asscher. Diamondseeker2006 I absolutely love your ring

Thanks so much! :wavey:

FancyIntense

Shiny_Rock

I love Diamonds by Lauren! I can't wait to see the finished ring. I'm sure it will be outstanding! :love:

amelielovescats

Rough_Rock
Re: UPDATED! Setting for 0.98ct K VS1 Octavia Asscher

Dear PS Friends,

I only have one picture, but here is a top view of the Octavia in her custom setting with a 0.15ct bullet on each side. David had these bullets cut for the ring. I'm not sure what bench DBL uses but it's quite striking in person and the setting looks very well done. The ring "head" is extremely delicate and I'm honestly shocked at how fine they were able to make the prongs. I fretted a bit that the prongs would gobble up such a small stone, but that is not the case in person.

This may be an amazing thing about the Octavia, but the stone appears bottomless! Even though the face up size is probably consistent with a modest 0.75ct RBC, it looks larger, in my opinion. The depth somehow creates flashes that rise from within, and it is not dark at all in the center. In fact, eerily, the whole stone kind of lights up like a bulb and appears to glow very white, even though it has no fluorescence. The bullets are also very sparkly and not dead, even though they are tiny. Honestly, it looks much whiter in person...like, white white white! And I agree with Kenny, it's the off-axis tilt where you get these big flashes that hit you right in the retina. I'm getting a lot of red flashes.

For anyone who is worried about getting a small Octavia, it has a large presence...there's something about the depth that makes it have a complex, glowing, fullness.

Thanks to everyone who contributed thoughts, opinions, and ideas!

image_1063.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

David really outdid himself. That is spectacular. I adore the proportions. They are just right.

I can't wait for profile and hand shots.

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock

This looks fantastic!! Well done!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow, gorgeous outcome! DBL did an excellent job, and I can't wait to see more pics!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What a beautiful outcome! DBL did such a great job. Congrats with your new ring. I am looking forward to see your own pics.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow! It's beautiful, the bullets are perfect. I cannot wait to see more photos of your ring!!

amelielovescats

Rough_Rock

MORE PICTURES OF THE OCTAVIA DIAMOND...this is as artsy as I can get! The stone is so sparkly, my phone is challenged to focus squarely on the stone. 0.98ct K VS1 Ex polish Ex symmetry (GIA). Size 5.5 ring in 18k WG, size 4.75 finger. Diamonds By Lauren custom setting with custom cut bullets (0.15ct each).

image_1078.jpg image_1080.jpg image_1081.jpg image_1082.jpg image_1083.jpg image_1084.jpg image_1085.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Okay, that is gorgeous!!! :love: Please stop now and go to the Show Me the Bling forum and make a thread with the details of your stone and setting and repost all these pics and more! Most people won't see it in this thread! I love the setting you chose!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Your ring came out perfect and you and David made great choices together! I know you'll enjoy this beauty until the next upgrade!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That looks lovely :sun:

We need some macro and some real-life-perspective hand shots indoors so we're not blinded by the fire! :D lol

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

amelielovescats|1468456668|4055274 said:

I could literally watch that first video in 1080p for hours - it's just stunning, mindblowing, breathtaking, and all those other superlatives that somehow fail to capture exactly what I'm trying to express! :love:

I'm not sure about DBL claiming 'exclusively at DBL' in the second video, mind :???: :lol: but either way, it is great that the Octavia is getting more recognition! :sun:

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Looooove it! Perfection, all around! Enjoy!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Thank you all for the lovely words!!!

OoohShiny|1473631453|4075287 said:

I could literally watch that first video in 1080p for hours - it's just stunning, mindblowing, breathtaking, and all those other superlatives that somehow fail to capture exactly what I'm trying to express! :love:

I'm not sure about DBL claiming 'exclusively at DBL' in the second video, mind :???: :lol: but either way, it is great that the Octavia is getting more recognition! :sun:

Thanks for pointing that out Ooooh!
Personally I get bothered when companies make false claims- and I can now see how the statement needs clarification.
I was referring to the fact that most internet sellers nowadays offer specific individual stones which are also being offered by other sellers. When we offer a stone, that particular diamond won't be available anywhere else.
But now that you mention it, I can see how the statement is too ambiguous.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Absolute perfection - congratulations to all who had a hand in creating this beautiful ring. Amelie - I hope you continue to get much joy from wearing (and staring at ;)) ) your lovely new ring!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That's so so beautiful!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rockdiamond|1473701615|4075564 said:
Thank you all for the lovely words!!!

OoohShiny|1473631453|4075287 said:

Thanks for pointing that out Ooooh!
Personally I get bothered when companies make false claims- and I can now see how the statement needs clarification.
I was referring to the fact that most internet sellers nowadays offer specific individual stones which are also being offered by other sellers. When we offer a stone, that particular diamond won't be available anywhere else.
But now that you mention it, I can see how the statement is too ambiguous.

Aaaaaah, I see what you mean when you put it like that! :D

I would agree - some slight tweaking to the wording is needed to avoid confusion :) Perhaps just need to add 'This stone is available' at the start of 'Exclusively at DBL'? :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results