shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this stone please

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Not a cushion expert here but I have a good eye and I think it’s beautiful! No doubt some cushion lovers will weigh in. F VS1 is a great place to be as well.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks leaky around the edge of the table outside of the 4 mains. Can you get an aset image so we can have a look?

act1980

Shiny_Rock
It looks leaky around the edge of the table outside of the 4 mains. Can you get an aset image so we can have a look?

Thanks for your reply. What does leaky mean and whats an ASET image? Thanks! :)

stonehunter20

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your reply. What does leaky mean and whats an ASET image? Thanks! :)

here is a crush lesson regarding aset image and you can find some examples of great cushion cuts aset iamage examples. when you reach out to the vendor, they should know what it is. also, can you request them to take photos and videos as well?

act1980

Shiny_Rock
How do I go about getting an ASET image? The diamond I'm looking at is with a dealer in another country so I have no way of accessing the stone at this point. Also, how come the HCA tool only works on brilliant cut? Thanks!

Gemly

Shiny_Rock
How do I go about getting an ASET image? The diamond I'm looking at is with a dealer in another country so I have no way of accessing the stone at this point. Also, how come the HCA tool only works on brilliant cut? Thanks!

You should ask whoever you’re planning to order the diamond from if an ASET is available. Often times they are able to source the diamond, and can take these images before sending it to you. Many reputable jewelers will do this and allow you to view the diamond with the possibility it returning if it’s not what you hoped for. If your source isn’t able to provide ASET images you can always order your own ASET for around $22 and check it out yourself (assuming they allow you to return if your not happy.

The HCA tool was developed specifically for round brilliant stones. They have a set of parameters that can reliably predict the stones performance whereas other shapes have other variables. For a ring look for an HCA between 1-2.

act1980

Shiny_Rock
You should ask whoever you’re planning to order the diamond from if an ASET is available. Often times they are able to source the diamond, and can take these images before sending it to you. Many reputable jewelers will do this and allow you to view the diamond with the possibility it returning if it’s not what you hoped for. If your source isn’t able to provide ASET images you can always order your own ASET for around $22 and check it out yourself (assuming they allow you to return if your not happy.

The HCA tool was developed specifically for round brilliant stones. They have a set of parameters that can reliably predict the stones performance whereas other shapes have other variables. For a ring look for an HCA between 1-2.

Thanks for the info, really helpful! :))

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Leaky is when the stone isnt returning light back out the front of the stone. You want to see crisp, clear, well-defined facets. If you start seeing too
much gray area it may be leaking too much light. An aset image will show how the stone is returning light (will show if the stone is leaky or not).

The area between the red lines would be the leaky area. It is normal to have some leakage around the edge of the table but you dont want too much.
Is the stone easily returnable? If so, you could buy it and check it out in person. Return if its not up to par.

Capture.PNG

For example, this stone shows leakage around the edge of the table (too much IMO). Your stone definitely has better light return than this one.

This stone is showing a minimal amount of leakage (IMO).

The HCA does not work for fancy cut stones because there are too many variations in cut of say a cushion (or other fancy cuts).

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Those are great examples of good/ bad! Thanks.

act1980

Shiny_Rock
Assuming with the HCA tool that an ASET isn't required on top as the HCA tells you everything you need to know? And vice versa if looking at cushion cut?

Gemly

Shiny_Rock
Assuming with the HCA tool that an ASET isn't required on top as the HCA tells you everything you need to know? And vice versa if looking at cushion cut?

The HCA is only a tool to be used for round diamonds. It is an elimination tool...it can help you weed out diamonds to eliminate right off the bat. It does not, however, tell you a diamond is great....you need to look at a lot of other factors/criteria for that.

If you’re looking for a diamond for a ring you want your HCA between 1-2. A 1.1 isn’t better than a 1.8 or vice-versa ....as long as it’s in the 1-2 range it checks out on the HCA. If it falls outside of this, you can reject the stone and keep looking. Just because the stone falls within an acceptable HCA does not automatic mean it’s a great diamond. ASET/idealscope images can tell you a lot about light return. Combined with these tools you should try to view the diamond in person if possible, read the report and examine still photos/videos.

Last edited:

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The light performance of the 3.02 F VS1 is not the best. Normally, our advise is to find one with less leakage.
However, we are talking 3.02 F VS1 here. High carat, color and clarity. Finding a perfect cushion in this category is extremely difficult. When all things considered, I think it is a decent choice.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You cannot use the HCA for fancy cuts. Only for rounds

act1980

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for all the replies, really appreciate it. I did ask for an ASET image but they can't provide one. I think I'm leaning more towards a RB triple ex 2 ct as this will give me almost the same finger coverage as the cushion but at a lower cost (hopefullly)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results